Ryan West leaving the Lakers Organization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

[quote="Bard207"]
That is interesting because ESPN has Winger hired in mid August 2017 and the NBA web site has West hired two months earlier in mid June 2017.

Press Release: L.A. Clippers Hire Jerry West

[quote]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Posted: Jun 19, 2017

Quote:

The LA Clippers have offered Oklahoma City Thunder executive Michael Winger its general manager job, league sources told ESPN.
Michael Winger Getty Images

Ok so Winger was roughly the same time frame. Maybe West suggested him...

It got better for the Clippers as soon as West got hired. The creativity and moves and they have made are West-esque. He is not a pricey consultant for no reason imo and he was extended again this summer.

I don’t think we keep Bertka around just for nostalgia. Jeanie just refused to bring back another killer in West.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Family businesses are like that.

Nepotism at its ugliest

VLF, can you enlighten us as to which branch of the Buss family tree Rob Pelinka descends from?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

And the circle gets smaller.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Are you serious? The one who is reading too much into it is me here?

I really try and be civil with you but it doesn't seem to work.

I don't care that your mind is made up and any selective reading going on, if you didn't understand my point I suggest you just move on and ignore. We went through this one time before where you seemed to have an axe to grind.

It's one thing to discuss Lakers things, it's another thing when there are underlying target type replies leading to waste of time.

you do you, just don't worry about my thoughts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Nepotism at its ugliest

VLF, can you enlighten us as to which branch of the Buss family tree Rob Pelinka descends from?

Pelinka will be the next to go once a Buss kid feels threatened.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

ATTORNEY: You don't have any facts to back up your story, do you?
WITNESS: My crystal ball helps me see into the future.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

jeanie is his biggest cheerleader plus hes had a great 1st year on paper
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

yep, he gets the credit for all of the good things that happened while Magic was here, while Magic gets ALL the blame for anything that did not go so well...!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

yep, he gets the credit for all of the good things that happened while Magic was here, while Magic gets ALL the blame for anything that did not go so well...!

i judge rob from when magic quit through the media.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Wish him all the best wherever he takes his talents and thank him for his service to the P&G

If he goes to the Clippers don't blame Lakers.. Balmer is building an arena for the team so they get a different level of respect and it is a grand idea...

Staples center is like 20 years old now

Quote:
STAPLES Center/Opened
October 17, 1999

It seems like yesterday.

But as a professional basketball arena, Staples is now where the Forum was in 1987. And the Forum as a pro arena only lasted a little more than a decade after that.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

ATTORNEY: You don't have any facts to back up your story, do you?
WITNESS: My crystal ball helps me see into the future.

SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

This is actually fitting. Why keep a guy who is great at evaluating young talent if we’re just going to let our young talent go after 2-3 years anyway?

Klutch clients only!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I like how they give him credit for the Lakers "draft success" of the last few years. I really like it. Because, you know we drafted so many superstars. In the years in the lottery we had zero players that were of all star caliber as a Laker. Zero.

Draft success is like Kobe with the 13th pick, Spurs trading for 15th pick Kawhi. Making the right choice at #1. Nothing the Lakers did in the draft lottery the last few years was all that impressive or anything great. Whether it was West's kid, Ryan, or someone else who made those decisions, I am not all that impressed with our drafting especially considering we had so many top 2, top lottery positions.

i dont think anyone has given him sole credit for anything. Most people credit Joey/jesse

There isn't anything to really credit. Maybe Kuzma because as a late 1st round pick he has shown to be a top 3 scorer on a team, but it remains to be seen whether he can be a top 3-4 player on a contender. However the draft picks have all been average or about what any decent executive in that position would. The only change in the last 10 years in the Lakers has been they finally were able to secure superstars in free agency or get them to force a trade to them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I like how they give him credit for the Lakers "draft success" of the last few years. I really like it. Because, you know we drafted so many superstars. In the years in the lottery we had zero players that were of all star caliber as a Laker. Zero.

Draft success is like Kobe with the 13th pick, Spurs trading for 15th pick Kawhi. Making the right choice at #1. Nothing the Lakers did in the draft lottery the last few years was all that impressive or anything great. Whether it was West's kid, Ryan, or someone else who made those decisions, I am not all that impressed with our drafting especially considering we had so many top 2, top lottery positions.

Or maybe they draft talent but can’t develop them because lakers FO and fans have 0 patience for young players. Dlo already an all-star and watch Bi and Zo explode soon. Don’t blame the kids and talent evaluators blame the development

We have been in the lottery for 6 straight years. Please don't talk to me about patience. The Laker fan base was ok with re-building. What we hoped for was a 3-4 year re-build where we could get some all-star we can build the team around and then some free agents join that player. Well, no one developed into that. D'Angelo was horrible here as a leader. He wasn't ready. He was an all-star talent, but in LA he wasn't a leader at all. Not consistent. Even his first year in BRK, inconsistent. Why did the Nets dump him after an all-star season? Why did they move on so quickly when they could get Kyrie instead? There are guys you can build a team around. We simply didn't draft any of those guys. Jerry West, he drafted that guy. Ryan West, and whomever is running our drafts, to me, has not been all that impressive at all.

I mean DLO, Randle, Kuzma, Ball, Hart, Zubac, Clarkson, Nance. These are all good to very good players who may make a few all star teams. None of those guys are franchise players, guys you build the team around. The Spurs OTOH. They got that guy with a trade of George Hill for a 15th pick for ....... Kawhi. That's a brilliant drafting group. Losing Ryan West won't hurt one bit. In fact, I hope we go find better people than what we have, and what we've had, so we can make some trades in the future to get more steals.

We shouldn't talk about Ryan West, Joey or anyone in the Lakers FO as someone who was able to deliver a star via the draft. They failed going the tanking route via draft. They realized it, and went in another direction. Thankfully. It's about time.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

i dont think anyone has given him sole credit for anything. Most people credit Joey/jesse

There isn't anything to really credit. Maybe Kuzma because as a late 1st round pick he has shown to be a top 3 scorer on a team, but it remains to be seen whether he can be a top 3-4 player on a contender. However the draft picks have all been average or about what any decent executive in that position would. The only change in the last 10 years in the Lakers has been they finally were able to secure superstars in free agency or get them to force a trade to them.

those draft picks netted a top 5 player entering his prime.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
This is actually fitting. Why keep a guy who is great at evaluating young talent if we’re just going to let our young talent go after 2-3 years anyway?

Klutch clients only!

who said he was great?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

It took trading almost all those players, plus future picks, plus a 4th pick in this year's draft, plus that top 5 player basically saying LAL or I don't re-sign with you (IE forced his way to us).

It should tell you what these players were capable of, when we had to trade so many of them to get a player. You look back at the drafts in our time being in the lottery - these guys made all-star teams for their own team that drafted them.

Embiid.
Jokic.
Towns.
Porzings.
Simmons.

There's some guards - who I think will make it and showed right away they can do it consistently. Booker with PHX. DeAaron Fox with Sacto. Jamal Murray with Denver.

The guys we had were just not consistent and some of them had major flaws in their games. I don't think we had the fortune in the draft that others did to be honest, and while it is luck too, I don't credit drafting as one of the Lakers strengths as a FO, and that is dating back to the 2000s. We've not been good for a long time at this. Average IMO. Our strengths have been trading and free agency to build winners.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

It took trading almost all those players, plus future picks, plus a 4th pick in this year's draft, plus that top 5 player basically saying LAL or I don't re-sign with you (IE forced his way to us).

It should tell you what these players were capable of, when we had to trade so many of them to get a player. You look back at the drafts in our time being in the lottery - these guys made all-star teams for their own team that drafted them.

Embiid.
Jokic.
Towns.
Porzings.
Simmons.

There's some guards - who I think will make it and showed right away they can do it consistently. Booker with PHX. DeAaron Fox with Sacto. Jamal Murray with Denver.

The guys we had were just not consistent and some of them had major flaws in their games. I don't think we had the fortune in the draft that others did to be honest, and while it is luck too, I don't credit drafting as one of the Lakers strengths as a FO, and that is dating back to the 2000s. We've not been good for a long time at this. Average IMO. Our strengths have been trading and free agency to build winners.

vlade netted Kobe. thats how it happens. Who had better fortunes? Boston? tatum? he got exposed somewhat. who else? 76ers? we drafted well enough to entice bron to come here (small factor) and talented enough to get AD.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/jordanclarksons/status/1155596426132328448?s=21
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Judah wrote:

Are you serious? The one who is reading too much into it is me here?

I really try and be civil with you but it doesn't seem to work.

I don't care that your mind is made up and any selective reading going on, if you didn't understand my point I suggest you just move on and ignore. We went through this one time before where you seemed to have an axe to grind.

It's one thing to discuss Lakers things, it's another thing when there are underlying target type replies leading to waste of time.

you do you, just don't worry about my thoughts.

You said something unfounded and have failed miserably at defending it. That's all that's happened here. You can try to distract from that, but that's exactly what happened.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

i still dont understand this...
regarding jeannie, pelinka, magic, ryan west, etc...

people have such strong opinions, and seem to know who was responsible for what decision the lakers have made. yet there is very little actual information as to who does what and how those decisions were made. and then people here are really taking a stand one way or the other. i still have no idea how the decisions are made, and i follow pretty closely. nobody really knows what magic did, or what ryan west did, unless they are a level of insider that has not been revealed here or elsewhere yet.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

there is nothing to distract. I told you straight up that I’m criticizing her.

You just have an agenda against certain folks. Like I said, please ignore because it’s a waste of time.

We also don’t need you playing LG police. It was better when you were on hiatus and/or using a different alias.

Again, it’s as easy as ignoring what you don’t like or agree with, especially if you have no intention of being civil and interested in discussion.

I tried to have a dialogue with you, but it’s obvious your purpose and agenda on here. So enjoy, there is no point to talk Lakers with you tbh.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

people have such strong opinions, and seem to know who was responsible for what decision the lakers have made. yet there is very little actual information as to who does what and how those decisions were made. and then people here are really taking a stand one way or the other. i still have no idea how the decisions are made, and i follow pretty closely. nobody really knows what magic did, or what ryan west did, unless they are a level of insider that has not been revealed here or elsewhere yet.

Add Kurt Rambis to the list. And you’re right. What I see is more a clash of competing narratives than anything else.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

The issue for me is the following:

1. Jerry West offered up to come back and it’s well documented personal issues with Jeanie. Helped elevate the other team in LA.
2. Magic as PBO. Ok, you pay him $10M, he vetoes recommendations which is his right in that role but then he quits.
3. You bring back Phil Jackson and elevate Rambis in response to Magic quitting. Why not bring in a respected PBO?

Forget the West family. We are very lean on respected executives, scouts and basketball ops.

Just doing whatever Klutch says is not going to work long-term imo. We will see, just think our FO is way behind the best organizations and in a salary cap league that is tough to overcome.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

The issue for me is the following:

1. Jerry West offered up to come back and it’s well documented personal issues with Jeanie. Helped elevate the other team in LA.
2. Magic as PBO. Ok, you pay him $10M, he vetoes recommendations which is his right in that role but then he quits.
3. You bring back Phil Jackson and elevate Rambis in response to Magic quitting. Why not bring in a respected PBO?

Forget the West family. We are very lean on respected executives, scouts and basketball ops.

Just doing whatever Klutch says is not going to work long-term imo. We will see, just think our FO is way behind the best organizations and in a salary cap league that is tough to overcome.

personal issues with Jeanie? would love to read about those.

Who doesnt respect Kurt? He has a ton of knowledge of players and the league. never heard a player/coach say anything negative about him. Quite the opposite. When on PJ's staff the bigs sung his praise.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: