I hate Steve Ballmer and the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I think Ballmer’s a great owner. He’s smart, passionate, sticks to what he knows, and hires good people.

Since Dr. Buss’ death, the Lakers have been run by trust fund babies who have accomplishing nothing and held no job other than what their father gave them. So they go back and forth between being control freaks to prove themselves and saying “Someone else did it!”

The Lakers owners cling nervously to the past. Ballmer strides boldly into the future.

Other than our legacy, I don't see any advantage we have over the Clippers anymore.

Sadly, agreed.

We have a legacy, which will not go away, but you can't build the future purely on legacy. Not saying we can't correct our front office and ownership woes, but they're real and exist, and in the meantime, the Clippers continue to shine bright in that area. How long that will last and/or how that will translate to wins is yet to be seen. That will ultimately be the big difference long term.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

just remember all these Clipper resurgence started with the CP3 VETO, remember that
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
just remember all these Clipper resurgence started with the CP3 VETO, remember that

Ancient history to me. Paul was a Clipper four years before Ballmer bought the team and he's been gone for two years (and now is on his second team since then). Time to start living in the moment, not swelling on the past. That's what the Clippers are doing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Ancient history to me. Paul was a Clipper four years before Ballmer bought the team and he's been gone for two years (and now is on his second team since then). Time to start living in the moment, not swelling on the past. That's what the Clippers are doing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Clippers unveil renderings of proposed arena

Quote:
One day after introducing Kawhi Leonard and Paul George as the franchise's two newest superstars, Steve Ballmer excitedly shuffled through five oversized cardboard renderings as he unveiled designs for the LA Clippers' proposed "billion-dollar-plus" state-of-the-art arena.

LINK

Is Ballmer doing enough to overtake the Lakers in the LA market? No, probably not even close. Is Ballmer doing enough to be in position to take more of the LA market than the Clippers currently have? Clearly he is.

Unfortunately, Ballmer makes the current Lakers ownership look broke in comparison. I'm sure his deep pockets will attract free agents as well as those people who aren't diehard basketball fans.

look at the investment Ballmer has made to renovate/build public basketball courts iwth Clippers logo all over the LA area. The next generation of fans will be much more split. You can't really ever change allegiance of grown men, Ballmer is making a play for decades down the line.

in the business world, people respect money. Ballmer has so much more of it than our owners, which gives him much more clout when dealing with other owners, league officials, and even media people. Guys like Woj probably care a lot more about being on the good side of a billionaire like Ballmer than the Buss family, this gives Clippers a lot of advantages over the Lakers right now.

Ballmer spends money where it makes the most impact. I was surprised when a poster here said a buddy works for an analytics firm Ballmer owns and that it has over 100 analysts. Meanwhile we paid no attention to analytics last season and not much so far this offseason.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Ancient history to me. Paul was a Clipper four years before Ballmer bought the team and he's been gone for two years (and now is on his second team since then). Time to start living in the moment, not dwelling on the past. That's what the Clippers are doing.

Chris Paul may be ancient history but when the Clippers traded him to Houston they got back Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell and a first round pick which was later traded in a package for Danilo Gallinari who was later traded in a package for Paul George.

The 2018 Clippers resurgence has very much to do with the CP3 veto and they would look very different today if that never happened.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Ancient history to me. Paul was a Clipper four years before Ballmer bought the team and he's been gone for two years (and now is on his second team since then). Time to start living in the moment, not dwelling on the past. That's what the Clippers are doing.

Chris Paul may be ancient history but when the Clippers traded him to Houston they got back Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell and a first round pick which was later traded in a package for Danilo Gallinari who was later traded in a package for Paul George.

The 2018 Clippers resurgence has very much to do with the CP3 veto and they would look very different today if that never happened.

Look at it this way: The Clippers trade caused the Pelicans to be so bad, they got Anthony Davis in the next draft, who they later traded to us. So the veto of the Chris Paul trade led to us getting AD and our current resurgence. Happy ending for everyone
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

it would be hilarious if Laker fans buy up the Clippers first home game tickets and just taunt them all game long
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I think Ballmer’s a great owner. He’s smart, passionate, sticks to what he knows, and hires good people.

Since Dr. Buss’ death, the Lakers have been run by trust fund babies who have accomplishing nothing and held no job other than what their father gave them. So they go back and forth between being control freaks to prove themselves and saying “Someone else did it!”

The Lakers owners cling nervously to the past. Ballmer strides boldly into the future.

Other than our legacy, I don't see any advantage we have over the Clippers anymore.

exactly correct, the Buss kids are a bunch of in-fighting, soap opera machine which media loves to cover.

I agree. The Lakers haven't had a season above .500 in SIX YEARS. People are tired of the crap on the court and the crap behind the scenes. People want to cheer for a winner, and Ballmer is trying to give them that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
it would be hilarious if Laker fans buy up the Clippers first home game tickets and just taunt them all game long

I actually hope this happens
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Look at it this way: The Clippers trade caused the Pelicans to be so bad, they got Anthony Davis in the next draft, who they later traded to us. So the veto of the Chris Paul trade led to us getting AD and our current resurgence. Happy ending for everyone

Good points, and to all those complaining about the Lakers getting rid of Zubac, well the Lakers would have jettisoned him to clear up cap space in the Bonga-Wanger deal...

It's all connected..

And Magic help clear the way by dumping Moz, and Russel...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Support those Clippers!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

I read that the Raiders new stadium will have screens in front of every seat playing the Red Zone channel. That is the type of facility that the Clippers will build. It will make 20-year old Staples Center look like the Forum.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I read that the Raiders new stadium will have screens in front of every seat playing the Red Zone channel. That is the type of facility that the Clippers will build. It will make 20-year old Staples Center look like the Forum.

From what I've read it will utilize the latest technologies and will be built primarily for basketball. The seats will be closer to the court compared to Staples since it isn't used for hockey. It will probably be a smaller arena than Staples but also louder since the fans are closer. This is where the Buss family not being billionaires hurts them. They won't be able to make demands on their next arena without selling a huge chunk of their shares of the team. They already gave up 25% of their stake for their move to Staples for a long term lease.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

True. It led to Sterling being kicked out which led to Ballmer coming in.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

No, V Stiviano led to that. If it weren't for Stiviano's V, Sterling would still be the owner.

This thread reminds me of Giants fans. They won't shut up about the Dodgers, no matter what happens. It's weird and obsessive. Who cares about what Ballmer's doing? He's building his company and has every right to.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
999 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Support those Clippers!

I would support them by repeating Seattle and GTFO over and over again I (bleep) hate them
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Clippers were still a team without a city at the height of lob city. they need to GTFO
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Ballmer is obnoxious but anyone who wants to posture and pretend they wouldn't take him in a heartbeat over what we have is lying.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Yep, would take Kroenke, Lacob, ane even Mark Cuban any day over the current FO. While the Buss family isn't pulling a Frank McCourt yet, the amount of financial resources the competition can access is now a complete mismatch these days.

Looking down the line, former Laker beat reporter Lauren Sanchez could probably convince Jeff Bezos to make an offer for the Lakers that Buss/AEG can't refuse. Constructing a completely re-vamped Lakers franchise (w/ new FO, new arena, etc) would cost much less than his $38billion divorce settlement.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

^
Seems like Bezos has replaced Larry Ellison as the rich guy on everyone's wish list to buy every sports team, such the Seahawks to the Knicks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Ballmer is obnoxious but anyone who wants to posture and pretend they wouldn't take him in a heartbeat over what we have is lying.

Heck give me Dr. Patrick Soon-Schiong even. (reportedly 7 billion net worth).

https://www.forbes.com/profile/patrick-soon-shiong/#6d5f01ca1fee
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Ballmer is #22 richest at 52.3B net worth. Damn.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

The value of the Lakers on the open market would consume more than half of his fortune.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

The value of the Lakers on the open market would consume more than half of his fortune.

That's still more than the Buss family who lives off of Lakers income.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: