Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill. But I'm a sucker for Agatha Christie and A Clockwork Orange, so it was tailor made to be a movie I never knew I wanted.

I really enjoyed H8, so you'll find my body at the peak of that hill next to yours. It was a great watch for Walton Goggins alone.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill. But I'm a sucker for Agatha Christie and A Clockwork Orange, so it was tailor made to be a movie I never knew I wanted.

I really enjoyed H8, so you'll find my body at the peak of that hill next to yours. It was a great watch for Walton Goggins alone.

Goggins is a treasure. I first knew him from Justified and then went back and saw him in The Shield. His Sons of Anarchy cameos were great too. I'm pretty much on board with anything he does.

I just found out Netflix has the extended version of H8 broken down into 4 50-minute 'episodes'. I'm looking forward to seeing this version. Admittedly I'm still undecided on the movie as a whole but it has a number of great parts.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Well, that's going to be divisive.

What shouldn't be divisive are the three main performances - some of the best work of Pitt, DiCaprio, and Robbie's careers.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

The good news for me is that Quentin’s last few outings have convinced me that this movie will end with Leo thwarting the Tate murders and killing Manson right after calling him the N word. So my expectations are low. The bad news is I feel like there’s a pretty good chance Leo thwarts the Tate murders and kills Manson right after calling him the N word.

Seeing it Saturday night.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

The good news for me is that Quentin’s last few outings have convinced me that this movie will end with Leo thwarting the Tate murders and killing Manson right after calling him the N word. So my expectations are low. The bad news is I feel like there’s a pretty good chance Leo thwarts the Tate murders and kills Manson right after calling him the N word.

Seeing it Saturday night.

It has the potential to alienate both his best fans and his worst fans. It's a bold choice on Tarantino's part.

I enjoyed it a lot. It contains 3-4 scenes that are among the best of Tarantino's career. It's a legitimately beautiful movie. It's a legitimately funny movie. Does it all work? I look forward to reading your thoughts on if it does or not.

***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

not a single n-word is uttered
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I will try to stop posting about the movie until more folks see it this weekend, but holy hell is Pitt great in this.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I lied.

(bleep), I can't sleep and this movie is worming its way into my brain. The neon. The feet. The Pitt.

Gawd, the (bleep) hypocrisy vis-a-vis depicted and actual violence in the film deserves a Master's thesis.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject:

I loved it. Haven't been that engrossed in a movie since I saw Synecdoche, New York a few years back (which is probably my favorite movie).
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Like a lot of his recent movies I'm not quite sure how I feel about it as a whole but damn does it have some amazing scenes and performances.

The themes that I interpreted regarding violence and violence in cinema were intriguing.

Probably the slowest, most subdued Tarantino movie and possibly the most contemplative.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

For people who saw the movie, did anyone else pick up on the Operation Dynamite Easter egg?
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Haven't seen it. Not a big fan of tarantino anyways with his casual racism from time to time. For those that see it, what would you say makes it a must-see?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

^ it's going to be hard to say why it's a must-see without spoiling but if you like character studies then you'll enjoy this. It's a huge departure from his ultra violent movies he's known for but Leo and Brad really shine even if you don't feel like they're doing much. It's probably the funniest QT movie too while also having some amazing suspenseful scenes.
It really is a smorgasbord of movie genres - drama, comedy, action, thriller, mystery, western, historical, satire - all rolled into 2 1/2 hours.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

my broken down body as well
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
For people who saw the movie, did anyone else pick up on the Operation Dynamite Easter egg?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ it's going to be hard to say why it's a must-see without spoiling but if you like character studies then you'll enjoy this. It's a huge departure from his ultra violent movies he's known for but Leo and Brad really shine even if you don't feel like they're doing much. It's probably the funniest QT movie too while also having some amazing suspenseful scenes.
It really is a smorgasbord of movie genres - drama, comedy, action, thriller, mystery, western, historical, satire - all rolled into 2 1/2 hours.

And even a tense, horror-esque sequence.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I'm also curious to see what you and LG.com think of the rest of Tarantino's ouevre, especially Jackie Brown.

I thought Jackie Brown was among the weakest of his films, but it was still good.

Im very conflicted over Jackie Brown. I loved the first half of the film but it loses steam fast for me in the second half.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

There was a movie ad during the Italy sequence for a movie by Antonio Margheriti - the name used by Donowitz/Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds when he's pretending to be an italian film maker. The movies name was Operation Dynamite, a nod to the dynamite strapped to his leg in the theater.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Interesting to see that it incorporates so many different movie genres. Thanks for the quick description because I really didn't know much about it other than the late '60s setting and the absurd 50-yr. old Pitt character beating Bruce Lee scene (not surprising from tarantino as mentioned before). But almost 3 hours though... oof. Sounds like something I can just wait until it's on a streaming site.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

There was a movie ad during the Italy sequence for a movie by Antonio Margheriti - the name used by Donowitz/Bear Jew in Inglourious Basterds when he's pretending to be an italian film maker. The movies name was Operation Dynamite, a nod to the dynamite strapped to his leg in the theater.

Thank you, that went right past me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Once Upon a Time in Pedowood
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

"There are dozens of us!"

Goggins tore that flick up along with JJL and SLJ.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill.

I get around to watching everyhing of his at some point and I'm caught up at the moment, but Hateful 8 was one of the more entertaining ones he has put out in the last 15-20. I actually tried a couple of times to watch it and I just couldn't do Tarantino at those particular moments. I first saw the whole thing at around this time, 3am, with nothin else to do or watch, so I got a chance to fully commit. Lotta funny quips, oceans of dialogue, too much N usage to even be remotely realistic, simple premise -- all standard QT. However, that was a pretty damn stunning performance by SJP. Not saying she's a bad actress, but I didn't think she was capable of that. I like when she got smacked, then she licked the blood of her lip and winked at Samuel L, to his mild disquietude at that moment of the film.

You mean Jennifer Jason Leigh and not Sarah Jessica Parker, right?

Great to find a kindred spirit H8 fan regardless

Oh, yeah, yeah. One of those 3 letter names. Sarah Jessica would've sucked in that role.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

That was a lot of fun.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
That was a lot of fun.

Two buddies just hanging out, cracking a few skulls, and cracking open some brews. Good times.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

This is Tarantino's only misogynistic film. And it's not because of violence against women, because that's a super dumb critique made by dumdums.

It's because of the false Madonna/whore dialectic he creates between the alternate future we could've had represented by the angelic, pregnant Tate and the future we received in the grimy, free love embodiment of the Manson family women.

It's a false dichotomy because the patriarchy that helped produce the drugged out, abused murderers of the Manson family cult also deifies Sharon Tate as an unflawed creative goddess. They're part of the same continuum and OUATIH doesn't seem to get that.

It doesn't fully detract from what I think is a near great film, but I wish feminist critiques of the movie would touch on where the true misogyny lies in this movie rather than trying to retroactively frame Jackie Brown or Hateful 8 as misogynistic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: