Rambis Bashing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Jeannie said Kurt is basically there in an advisory role to assist Pelinka. My issue is that she felt we didn't need someone to fill that role, and that's why she said no to Jerry West. Kurt is basically filling a position that should've been filled by JW. And there is just no comparison between Kurt and JW as FO advisors. None. It's a complete mismatch.

But JW said some mean things about Jeannie's boycrush 20 years ago so he has no place in the organization. Jeannie has trust issues and it affects her ability to hire the best people for the job, like a good owner is supposed to do.

But why would the Clippers have preferred Jerry West? Shouldn't they have hired, I dunno, Danny Manning or Mike Dunleavy and then waited 3 years to see if they were any good?

It's sad, but that is basically what we did. It's the equivalent of the Clippers calling up Olowokandi and saying "here's a high-power front office position, let's see what you can do, old friend". Except it happened to arguably the most valuable sports franchise in the world, running like a mom and pop shop.

OT but that is an argument you would lose. This morning they listed the top 4 sports franchises by value and the Lakers weren’t listed. It surprised me that the most valuable franchise is the Cowboys.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Jeannie said Kurt is basically there in an advisory role to assist Pelinka. My issue is that she felt we didn't need someone to fill that role, and that's why she said no to Jerry West. Kurt is basically filling a position that should've been filled by JW. And there is just no comparison between Kurt and JW as FO advisors. None. It's a complete mismatch.

But JW said some mean things about Jeannie's boycrush 20 years ago so he has no place in the organization. Jeannie has trust issues and it affects her ability to hire the best people for the job, like a good owner is supposed to do.

But why would the Clippers have preferred Jerry West? Shouldn't they have hired, I dunno, Danny Manning or Mike Dunleavy and then waited 3 years to see if they were any good?

It's sad, but that is basically what we did. It's the equivalent of the Clippers calling up Olowokandi and saying "here's a high-power front office position, let's see what you can do, old friend". Except it happened to arguably the most valuable sports franchise in the world, running like a mom and pop shop.

OT but that is an argument you would lose. This morning they listed the top 4 sports franchises by value and the Lakers weren’t listed. It surprised me that the most valuable franchise is the Cowboys.

Shows how much you know. The Lakers (or any other basketball team) have never been in the top 5 of this Forbes ranking, which is usually dominated by NFL and EU soccer teams at the top. The Lakers only started appearing in the Top 10 most valuable franchises in 2015... are one of only two NBA teams in the Top 10, the other being the Knicks... and have been increasing their value every year. So, Jeanie is doing something right.

The Cowboys have been the highest ranked US sports franchise in Forbes' most valuable ranking since 2010... and have been #1 overall for 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019. The next most valuable US-based team are the Yankees.

Apart from these two NFL teams, the other teams with the most appearances in the top 5 are EU soccer teams; Real Madrid () , Barcelona, Manchester United.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:13 am; edited 11 times in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

You guys are nuts if you don't think most front offices are populated by friends & family of the owner & GM.

Did a quick look at team FOs on Real GM - lots of scouts, assistants-to-the-X and assistant-directors-of-Y with the same last names of team bigwigs.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
You guys are nuts if you don't think most front offices are populated by friends & family of the owner & GM.

Did a quick look at team FOs on Real GM - lots of scouts, assistants-to-the-X and assistant-directors-of-Y with the same last names of team bigwigs.

I agree with you 100%. But, just because it happens doesn't make it any more acceptable. Still a problem, and still something us as fans don't have to support.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Some of that is understandable. We hired a couple of LeBron's buddies for lower level positions. But for every high level position? Not a great way of doing business.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
Let's frame it another way. What has Kurt Rambis accomplished in a front office to justify him having a high level role (basically the assistant GM) in the Lakers organization? The answer is nothing. He has no FO experience (something that we unfortunately seem to view as a plus). No training under someone experienced and accomplished. He was an assistant coach and then perhaps the worst head coach of the modern era. That's the resume. His wife is friends with the owner and that's why he has the job. That's an embarrassment worthy of mockery.

That is a big part of the NBA.....nepotism is extremely strong in the league. Does anyone think Ryan West came in off the street and completed a job application in El Segundo? What did Danny Ainge ever do to deserve to be named Executive Director of Basketball Operations for the Celtics in 2003? It is kind of a recent thing, and still limited for guys to actually earn Executive positions in front offices based on previous good work in a sports FO or a sports management career.

Ainge parlayed his broadcasting work into a better gig. Being an ex-Celtic didn't hurt there either, but like many (Kerr, Rivers, etc.) he used the mic to show he had a brain before moving up.

I'm trying to recall if Rambis ever dabbled in broadcasting. I'm sure he did, but I'm certain it wasn't of any distinction.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Good point, it ultimately starts with Jeanie.

Rambis as the punching bag is misguided tbh.

Whoever people want to build narratives around loving and hating in our current front office. Things are much better now that Jim and Mitch are gone.

The overwhelming majority of posters on this board gave the front office an A or a B for this summer. I guess somehow Pelinka managed to overcome the malign influence of Kurt Rambis. I bet Pelinka had to fight hard to keep Kurt from talking Jeanie into offering a max contract to Carmelo Anthony.

Seriously, though, this whole Rambis-phobia thing has left me shaking my head. The man has been working in the NBA for over 35 years. Now he is a "senior advisor." This seems unremarkable. But then people say that he is unqualified because he sucked as a head coach. What?

As best I can tell, this is all about using attacks on Rambis as a surrogate for making attacks on Jeanie. We know that there is nothing that we can do about Jeanie. But we can attack the people around her and try to force her to execute her trusted allies. Strangely, this sounds a lot like medieval history.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Keep in mind that's only an estimate by a magazine. Forbes thinks/guesses the Cowboys are worth $5 billion, the Barcelona soccer team is worth $4.02 billion, the Patriots $3.8 billion and the Lakers $3.7 billion.

But you don't actually know how much a team is worth until you put it on the market and see what someone will pay for it, so you can't take their numbers as gospel.
bucketsandbags
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:
Let's frame it another way. What has Kurt Rambis accomplished in a front office to justify him having a high level role (basically the assistant GM) in the Lakers organization? The answer is nothing. He has no FO experience (something that we unfortunately seem to view as a plus). No training under someone experienced and accomplished. He was an assistant coach and then perhaps the worst head coach of the modern era. That's the resume. His wife is friends with the owner and that's why he has the job. That's an embarrassment worthy of mockery.

Well, let's look at that another way. Did Linda Rambis get hired by the Lakers BECAUSE of the Lakers relationship with Kurt Rambis? Rambis has been with the team as a player and an assistance coach before Linda ever came on board. So why are we assuming Kurt's coming back on board is because of Linda?

Linda was hired by Jerry Buss before Kurt was even in the league. So tired of this sexist argument that she doesn't know anything because she married Kurt. She's been with the Lakers for nearly 40 years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

I was weary of the Rambises and still am.
But I'm less weary after seeing how the team was built this summer (players and staff). We'll see how the team does this year.
In the end, the FO will be judged on how the team does the next 2 years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

Well, let's look at that another way. Did Linda Rambis get hired by the Lakers BECAUSE of the Lakers relationship with Kurt Rambis? Rambis has been with the team as a player and an assistance coach before Linda ever came on board. So why are we assuming Kurt's coming back on board is because of Linda?

Linda was hired by Jerry Buss before Kurt was even in the league. So tired of this sexist argument that she doesn't know anything because she married Kurt. She's been with the Lakers for nearly 40 years.

Hired to do what? Inform on basketball decisions?
TheGodfather
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

That was sexist? Really? Need a safe space?
Kwahi and Paul...Public Enemy #1
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Keep in mind that's only an estimate by a magazine. Forbes thinks/guesses the Cowboys are worth $5 billion, the Barcelona soccer team is worth $4.02 billion, the Patriots $3.8 billion and the Lakers $3.7 billion.

But you don't actually know how much a team is worth until you put it on the market and see what someone will pay for it, so you can't take their numbers as gospel.

Exactly. I doubt any magazine had the Clippers valued at $2B, but that's how much they drew on the open market. If you put the Lakers on the open market there's no telling how high it would go. Especially when a company like AEG has the right of first refusal. Deep pockets would be lining up.

This isn't really the point though. The fact is they're clearly one of the most valuable sports brands in the world, but run their front office on a tight budget when there aren't any cap restrictions. That's what happens when you have to slice up the profits to so many people. You get shadow owners like Phil and Rambii stepping into the power vacuum created by a weak owner.

A buddy of mine works in IT in an analytics office that Ballmer set up with about 100 employees. You wouldn't believe how much money Ballmer is throwing around. The Buss family is operating at a huge financial disadvantage. Like I said, mom and pop shop by NBA standards.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Kurt’s been a failure in his FO and coaching roles that’s why people were going at him and Linda. He’s basically been confirmed as shadow pbo undeservedly
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
ocho wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

That is true... valuations are simply a person's opinion and only a guide. As someone who has looked at this ranking for many years now (because I also follow soccer and their tabloids publish this stuff every year)... I think the criteria they apply to the US-based teams is consistent... as in, they look at similar financial data and no US team has an advantage over another US team in terms of location (which means, they don't get docked points for being in a less stable economy). This isn't the case for some other teams. For example: Real Madrid earned a heck of a lot more revenue over the last 10 years than Manchester United and has less expenses too, yet were given a lower geographical multiple for many years because they are in Spain (less stable) as opposed to England (more stable)... resulting in them being given a lower valuation in some years, even when their revenue in those years was $100m greater than United's. By the way, those top three EU soccer teams have more revenue/assets and reach than any NBA team, so them being above the NBA teams in the ranking is not a "glitch".
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
ocho wrote:
He was an assistant coach and then perhaps the worst head coach of the modern era. That's the resume. His wife is friends with the owner and that's why he has the job. That's an embarrassment worthy of mockery.

ocho wrote:

Our front office is almost entirely comprised of Jerry Buss' kids, Kobe's agent, Jerry West's son, and the owner's best friend and her husband (who was a former Laker player). If that isn't a nepotism problem what would one look like?

ocho wrote:

ocho wrote:

Precisely because without that connection it makes no sense for Kurt to be hired in the first place and there's a well documented history of nepotism in our organization. Kurt is taking the place of somebody capable and experienced and that should bother you.

ocho wrote:

Hiring a bunch of inexperienced people because they're your pals and crossing your fingers that they stumble into success is not a sound strategy from a serious owner. We can bypass the whole waiting several years thing and just hire someone good who has already proven themselves. But she wants her buddies. Thats embarrassing, and that's why you're hearing that kind of 7th grade thinking being mocked on a podcast.

ocho wrote:
I think the people that tend to be critical of Kurt are doing so with the understanding that Jeanie is the main problem. She's the one who enabled him. We all hope all of them are successful, but that isn't the point. And no, I'm not interested in hiring another inexperienced friend of Jeanie and waiting more years to find out if he's capable when they can just go hire a capable person without waiting and rubbing a rabbits foot.

ocho wrote:

The Lakers have been insanely lucky (and located in Los Angeles) to find themselves in the position they're in. If LeBron has no interest in off court ventures and doesn't decide to leave a Finals team for one of the worst teams in the league NONE of this exists and we're still in the lotto. No LeBron. No Davis forcing his way to LA. If people want to credit this to the wizardry of Rob Pelinka and the Rambis Family they can knock themselves out. The opportunity was on the table to marry our geographic and historic advantages with an elite, experienced executive. We passed. Slumber party at Jeanie's House.

After all the crap you were posting in the Pelinka thread before the off-season started... you kinda outed yourself as an illogical FO-hater and perhaps even as a Boo Boo bear to VLF's Yogi bear. I've said it before, but it really wouldn't surprise me to find out that you two know each other in real life or are related or even are shadow accounts of the same person, lol. Anyway, I think you owe Rob and the FO an apology... and it might even be appropriate that you pucker up and kiss Rob's bum-bum the next time you see him, to make up for all the hating.

It might be appropriate that you come back in a week with a better set of manners.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

TheGodfather wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

Be careful
TheGodfather
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

Be careful

I appreciate the words of caution, but there is no need. I don't plan on starting anything and I try to treat people here with the upmost respect. But I consider someone accusing another of making a sexist comment to be deeply personal, unwarranted and uncalled for.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Kurt started his pro career with AEK Athens, playing as Kyriakos Rambidis. Can we just call him part of our Giannis recruitment team? Kidd, Kurt and Kosta, 2021
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

Hired to do what? Inform on basketball decisions?

It's not clear that she really informed or contributed significantly to any basketball decisions. Yes, she did participate in coaching interviews. At that time, it seems like Jeanie felt she had no choice to lean on her best friend (who has worked in the org forever) as more than just an informal consigliere. But since those tumultuous few weeks, we haven't heard a peep about Linda Rambis. All of the hand-wringing about her direct involvement was speculation. Maybe some of it was accurate. We may never know.

As for Kurt ... I guess you can say that he had the sense to NOT hire himself as a head or assistant coach, so maybe he is good at this job after all.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

TheGodfather wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
bucketsandbags wrote:
TheGodfather wrote:
ocho wrote:

Be careful

I appreciate the words of caution, but there is no need. I don't plan on starting anything and I try to treat people here with the upmost respect. But I consider someone accusing another of making a sexist comment to be deeply personal, unwarranted and uncalled for.

That was actually meant for both. And FWIW, something is sexist in nature or not (I'm not seeing it in your case but I can see the argument/opinion), and being personally offended isn't really related to whether it is true or not.
TheGodfather
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

That was actually meant for both. And FWIW, something is sexist in nature or not (I'm not seeing it in your case but I can see the argument/opinion), and being personally offended isn't really related to whether it is true or not.

I don't envy your job. I used to moderate a sports mail list for several years back in the day when things were more civil in society. There wasn't as much discourse, name calling and sensitivity to things.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

You run the Lakers and your PoBO quits and you need to hire a replacement.

Do you:

1. Speak with your trusted advisors and friends within and outside of the organization to compile a list of potential candidates, discuss them, argue for and against each one, rank them in order of preference, call them (or their reps), arrange meetings to assess their vision and fit to your organization and then hire the best one?

2. Hire Kurt Rambis
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

Omar...this is a great thread to lock, delete, and then burn. Hopefully I can say that without getting benched.

#BannersOverBillboards
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

The Rambii are the last ones standing....Magic is no longer there, Byron is nowhere to be seen after he was canned, Kareem was never much a large part of the organization, Worthy sounds like he is more interested in the press side of things, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: