How injuries may affect the team

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: How injuries may affect the team

Like all NBA teams, the Lakers' fate will depend in part on their health. If fully healthy, I think they are formidable and a likely favorite for the championship. The question is how injuries might hamper the team.

Here are my thoughts. I have divided into tiers.

Tier 1: LeBron or AD
I think that, even without AD on the team, the Lakers are about as good as they were last year--with Green, Bradley, and Cousins making up for Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart. So if AD goes down with a long-term injury, but no-one else does, we are about 4th to 8th best in the league, make the playoffs, and may get to the second round. Likewise, since I think that AD is about as good as LeBron at this stage of their careers, same if LeBron goes down. Lower playoff seed, get knocked out in the first or second round.

Tier 2: McGee, Cousins, Kuzma, or Green
Losing any of these for a long run would hurt. We would still make the playoffs, maybe even with a good seed, but it would hurt our chances of wining the Western division.

Tier 3: Bradley, KCP
These can be valuable pieces, especially since we are somewhat thin at the 2 and 3. Losing one of these would hurt, especially if we couldn't replace him. However, with a tighter rotation in the playoffs it may not make that much difference in the playoffs, unless either shows great improvement this season.

Tier 4. Rondo, Cook, Caruso, Dudley, Daniels
We have a pretty deep point guard rotation, so losing one of Rondo, Cook, and Caruso shouldn't make a huge difference. And Dudley and Daniels will be end of the bench guys. So if one of these players goes down, and they are the only one, we should count our blessings.

Thoughts?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

aside from AD or Bron i think we would be absolutely fine with anyone missing time. Green is probably the next most important; as he's an important perimeter defender, and an important shooter. Mcgee i don't understand the thinking for him being important; if he gets hurt AD will just play more 5, which was his main position last sesason
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

The whole team will be out for the season.

Anti jinx
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I think injuries early in the season are better (less bad) then injuries in February and beyond. Lebron teams usually have backloaded schedules and last season was no different. More nationally televised weekend games after football season.

That being said I'd settle for no injuries at all ever please and thank you.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
aside from AD or Bron i think we would be absolutely fine with anyone missing time. Green is probably the next most important; as he's an important perimeter defender, and an important shooter. Mcgee i don't understand the thinking for him being important; if he gets hurt AD will just play more 5, which was his main position last sesason

Maybe you are right about McGee. It feels like a pretty thin rotation at the 4/5 with McGee out, but I guess LeBron can also play the 4.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Not really sure this is even worth worrying about. This is one of the deepest teams in the league. They have three offensive focal points in James, Davis and Cousins whom have each carried teams with 25+ point averages. If James or Davis, tier 1, were injured, Kuzma starts and the offense goes through Boogie. You really need to credit Rob, this is a balanced and deep roster needed to win a lot of games in the regular season with superstars needed to win in the post season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Based on their careers, AD, Cousins, McGee, Rondo and Kuzma will miss some games. Lebron has been pretty durable, we will see if last season was abnormal or Father Time catching up. I guess the biggest fear is when players are out, if there are multiples at a time, can we survive that.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

It might come down to the coaching staff more than anything. Last year when key injuries hit, it didn't seem like the team play style was adjusted to compensate. Brand new coaching staff this year so we will have to wait and see. Hopefully injuries will be a non-factor.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How injuries may affect the team

markjay wrote:
Like all NBA teams, the Lakers' fate will depend in part on their health. If fully healthy, I think they are formidable and a likely favorite for the championship. The question is how injuries might hamper the team.

I think that, even without AD on the team, the Lakers are about as good as they were last year--with Green, Bradley, and Cousins making up for Lonzo, Ingram, and Hart. So if AD goes down with a long-term injury, but no-one else does, we are about 4th to 8th best in the league, make the playoffs, and may get to the second round. Likewise, since I think that AD is about as good as LeBron at this stage of their careers, same if LeBron goes down. Lower playoff seed, get knocked out in the first or second round.

Losing any of these for a long run would hurt. We would still make the playoffs, maybe even with a good seed, but it would hurt our chances of wining the Western division.

These can be valuable pieces, especially since we are somewhat thin at the 2 and 3. Losing one of these would hurt, especially if we couldn't replace him. However, with a tighter rotation in the playoffs it may not make that much difference in the playoffs, unless either shows great improvement this season.

We have a pretty deep point guard rotation, so losing one of Rondo, Cook, and Caruso shouldn't make a huge difference. And Dudley and Daniels will be end of the bench guys. So if one of these players goes down, and they are the only one, we should count our blessings.

Thoughts?

i actually agree quite a bit with the way you categorized it. well done.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How injuries may affect the team

markjay wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't think you can worry about injuries too much. We have lot of guys with histories of injuries so it's impossible to predict what might happen.

If AD or Lebron are out for the playoffs, we're dead in the water. Otherwise, you just adjust and see who picks up the slack.

Otherwiose
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I'd move Bradley to Tier 2 because of his ability to defend speedier guards which pretty much every contender has. I'm thinking that Rondo and/or Caruso will end up in Tier 3 because we really lack play-making outside of Lebron and it will start to become more apparent how valuable they are when he sits.

Agree with Daniels and Cook because their roles are almost interchangeable. Dudley's playing time I agree will come largely from injuries/foul trouble/load management.

I feel last season's more frantic pace also contributed to Lebron's injury. This team is definitely built more for half-court execution. Vogel has had the most success playing at slower paces as well.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Based on their careers, AD, Cousins, McGee, Rondo and Kuzma will miss some games. Lebron has been pretty durable, we will see if last season was abnormal or Father Time catching up. I guess the biggest fear is when players are out, if there are multiples at a time, can we survive that.

That's something almost every team has to deal with. No team other than the defunct Warriors could survive 2 or 3 of their main guys going down for a lengthy period.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Kuz has been pretty durable. Fingers crossed for James. Last year was the only year he missed significant time, but he obviously ain’t getting younger. I’m really only worried about AD because he always misses several games a year and Boogie. Though Boogie I’m kinda excited about because even at 75%, he will be one of the better bigs in the league.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Kuz has been pretty durable. Fingers crossed for James. Last year was the only year he missed significant time, but he obviously ain’t getting younger. I’m really only worried about AD because he always misses several games a year and Boogie. Though Boogie I’m kinda excited about because even at 75%, he will be one of the better bigs in the league.

To me this is the silver lining of the no kL thing
Because you didn’t break the bank on him you were able to split that money up on several reliable vet players
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How injuries may affect the team

markjay wrote:

Thoughts?

Supposedly the team will implement load management with LBJ and/or AD, similiar to what the Raptors did with Kawhi. Kawhi played 60 games, sit out 22. Let's say LBJ and AD each sits out 15, who will play their minutes? Most likely Kuzma. So if Kuz gets hurt, it will be difficult to execute the load management plan, which might affect AD and/or LBJ's efficiency in the playoffs. It would get worse if you categorize Dudley as an end-of-the-bench player.

The team is thin at 3/4, not 2/3. Dudley committed early, so among the players signed after Kawhi's decision, no one is a forward. Pelinka added two centers, three PGs , four SGs, and zero forward. An injury to Kuzma would be as harmful as one to AD/LBJ.

In fact, even if nobody is injured, the lack of depth makes it difficult to rest AD/LBJ.

Last edited by LaxT on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Because you didn’t break the bank on him you were able to split that money up on several reliable vet players

Not really because most of our vet players could have easily been acquired through minimum contracts. We would still have the room exception for Bradley and lured Cousins to take the minimum by a trio of AD/LBJ/KL.

It basically boils down to KL vs DG/KCP/Mcgee, which is no contest because mcgee could have been lured to take another minimum contract and KCP doesn't really provide the "depth" over KL.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject:

If LeBron or AD goes down, that messes our entire team obviously

Bradley or Cousins going down hurts us too, and increases the workload on AD and LeBron.

Team will have to be mostly injury free among those 4 this season, if not all season but that's wishful thinking.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not really because most of our vet players could have easily been acquired through minimum contracts. We would still have the room exception for Bradley and lured Cousins to take the minimum by a trio of AD/LBJ/KL.

It basically boils down to KL vs DG/KCP/Mcgee, which is no contest because mcgee could have been lured to take another minimum contract and KCP doesn't really provide the "depth" over KL.

Yeah, we didn't really split the money, as much as overpay guys on two-year holding contracts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah, we didn't really split the money, as much as overpay guys on two-year holding contracts.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

and i'm hoping that at some point during the season, after the dec deadline, we will trade some of the "overpaid" players for a BIGGER FISH!
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How injuries may affect the team

markjay wrote:

Thoughts?

You put it well! Agreed, and Really nothing to add!
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

and i'm hoping that at some point during the season, after the dec deadline, we will trade some of the "overpaid" players for a BIGGER FISH!

Really low chances of that happening without picks and the "2021" plan in effect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: