2020 C8 Mid-Engined Corvette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: 2020 C8 Mid-Engined Corvette

https://jalopnik.com/2020-chevrolet-c8-mid-engine-corvette-everything-we-kn-1836485708

Thoughts? Not a Chevy guy but for sure this thing will perform

Under $60k starting price. Under 3.0 seconds 0-60

I don’t think it looks good but lots of folks do. If the quality is there I think they have a winner. Should eat caymans for breakfast lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Impressive.

Even if stripped down, I still think “under $60k starting” is one of those things that I will wait on and see, even though Chevy has stated so. Still sounds too good to be true, especially considering how much a Camaro costs, especially once we start talking about the higher end models
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject:

I'll be on the record that I'm super biased against American cars. Sure, I like the classics...but that's it.

I want this car. Well done...I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like and rates.

"IF" it's the product the reveal is selling us...game changer.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

The Preproduction model looks cool, but I'll wait to see what the actual production model looks like as I am sure it will be pared down.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

Looks awesome
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

never been a Corvette guy....but this thing changes all that.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

The last few models have been absolutely hideous. They look like what an unartistic pre-teen who is into modified Japanese cars thinks an American muscle car might look like without ever having actually seen one.

But at least everyone will be able to luxuriate in a 90% plastic interior that is pretty much identical to a 1995 Caprice.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

I think I found my next ride. Love the way it looks.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Looks like they have a winner on their hands....look at all the revivals that were their competition: Supra (vastly underwhelming and probably biggest loser since its the closest to the Corvette's pricepoint), NSX (way overpriced compared to 1st gen model).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The last few models have been absolutely hideous. They look like what an unartistic pre-teen who is into modified Japanese cars thinks an American muscle car might look like without ever having actually seen one.

But at least everyone will be able to luxuriate in a 90% plastic interior that is pretty much identical to a 1995 Caprice.

They went out of their way to mimic cartoonish Hot Wheels toys.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

And yet the starting point was so fugly it still improved the looks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

This model certainly looks cleaner and has better lines than the last several designs.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

love the Arctic White with Red interior version in the article....would like to see with black rims.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Brown Version? The military version
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

This model certainly looks cleaner and has better lines than the last several designs.

Yeah. They finally ditched the god awful proportions that they've been clinging to. That giant hood with a disproportionately short rear end was cool in the 60s but made it look goofy AF compared to modern sports cars. The C7 moved in the right direction but even then...

If this delivers, the M2C, Cayman, and Supra are completely off my radar.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Looks like they have a winner on their hands....look at all the revivals that were their competition: Supra (vastly underwhelming and probably biggest loser since its the closest to the Corvette's pricepoint), NSX (way overpriced compared to 1st gen model).

Not if you factor in inflation. That same $60K NSX in 1990-91 would be arounnd $120K today. The new NSX is a little overpriced relatively speaking but completely in line with the old model. The amount of tech in that car is easily worth the premium.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Why mention the Supra, Cayman, etc.. when I think the biggest loser (especially if they can make this car about $60k) will be the Camaro ZL1.

At >$60k, would you take a heavier, slower (even though has more hp) vehicle whose practicality is more or less negligible due to the virtually unusable back seats of the Camaro? I think some Porsche guys and Supra guys will be interested, but the Camaro guys are the ones who will be most interested.

I don’t think the German car guys have anything to worry about. As good as the Corvette may be, it won’t quite have that snob appeal.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Why mention the Supra, Cayman, etc.. when I think the biggest loser (especially if they can make this car about $60k) will be the Camaro ZL1.

At >$60k, would you take a heavier, slower (even though has more hp) vehicle whose practicality is more or less negligible due to the virtually unusable back seats of the Camaro? I think some Porsche guys and Supra guys will be interested, but the Camaro guys are the ones who will be most interested.

I don’t think the German car guys have anything to worry about. As good as the Corvette may be, it won’t quite have that snob appeal.

Rumors are the Camaro is getting cancelled so it won't matter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not if you factor in inflation. That same $60K NSX in 1990-91 would be arounnd $120K today. The new NSX is a little overpriced relatively speaking but completely in line with the old model. The amount of tech in that car is easily worth the premium.

NSX sales are mediocre for this current generation. Safe to say they missed the mark for the gen 2 model. Thru 2019, they barely sold enough of the current NSX's compared to the first year for the gen 1 model in the US. I would have to say the styling for the gen 2 model has been a miss which is a large part why the sales have been slow. The high initial price was also a huge turn off, and while dealers are offering huge discounts now to move the car, since it moved upmarket, they have to compete against other more prestigious badges which hasn't helped their cause.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

NSX sales are mediocre for this current generation. Safe to say they missed the mark for the gen 2 model. Thru 2019, they barely sold enough of the current NSX's compared to the first year for the gen 1 model in the US. I would have to say the styling for the gen 2 model has been a miss which is a large part why the sales have been slow. The high initial price was also a huge turn off, and while dealers are offering huge discounts now to move the car, since it moved upmarket, they have to compete against other more prestigious badges which hasn't helped their cause.

I hope it stays that way until I can score a used one in 5 years. I didn't expect the NSX to sell well. The market is just way too crowded with equally great competitors.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I think for the design and price point, they did a fantastic job. Love the mid engine concept.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I hope it stays that way until I can score a used one in 5 years. I didn't expect the NSX to sell well. The market is just way too crowded with equally great competitors.

I looked at one when the local Acura showroom got one in a while back (looked as in with my eyes, not to purchase), and that is a very nice car. If I recall, it was about $160K? I also watched the Jay Leno's Garage when they featured one....if that was the market I could shop in, I definitely would consider the NSX. I have been in a friends R8 a few times, and I think I liked the NSX a little more.....but I would gladly take either.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I looked at one when the local Acura showroom got one in a while back (looked as in with my eyes, not to purchase), and that is a very nice car. If I recall, it was about $160K? I also watched the Jay Leno's Garage when they featured one....if that was the market I could shop in, I definitely would consider the NSX. I have been in a friends R8 a few times, and I think I liked the NSX a little more.....but I would gladly take either.

Yeah if the NSX was less than 100K, it'd be selling like hot cakes. Just too many damn good rides at 150K. GT2, R8, AMG GT R so on and so forth. Granted, the Acura is the only one I'd trust to drive for a long time. Used NSX's with less than 10K miles are close to 120K now.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

It was unveiled in that abandoned Tustin Airbase hangar.

I'm digging the red or black exterior with red/black leather seats. Interesting how you can customize the seatbelt color regardless of trim.

Problem with Vettes is how the interior will hold up given time; hopefully, they made the material quality a bit better than the C7.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Hm. Automatic transmission only. Not sure how that will go over.
Link
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: