Grade the Lakers Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you grade the Lakers offseason?
A
47%
 47%  [ 70 ]
B
41%
 41%  [ 61 ]
C
10%
 10%  [ 16 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 148

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers seemed to have valued Kuz as much or more than BI/Lonzo/4th pick. Whether that's objectively true or not, the Lakers seem to feel that Kuz was worth keeping.

I think a major part of it is due to the salary

That is true. But internally, they seem to value him tremendously. Sent him even to the lottery drawing.

He'd better be careful. From Byron Scott to Magic Johnson, guys tend to disappear pretty quick after representing us in the lottery
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27189056/nba-power-rankings-league-best-teams-now

6. Los Angeles Lakers
2018-19 record: 37-45
2020 title odds: 3-1
Previous rank: No. 8

A chaotic offseason started with Magic Johnson resigning and putting Rob Pelinka on blast as well as a coaching search that saw negotiations with Ty Lue fall apart before the Lakers hired Frank Vogel. But once the chaos settled, the Lakers landed their highly coveted second superstar and another franchise superstar big man to build around for the foreseeable future in Anthony Davis. Pelinka paid a heavy price in having to send out Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart, three first-round picks, a pick swap and cash to acquire Davis and create as much cap space as possible. They then waited and failed to persuade Kawhi Leonard to come, but acted quickly in free agency by surrounding LeBron James and Davis with several experienced veterans. The Lakers believe they have addressed their mistake from a year ago by adding shooters like Danny Green, Quinn Cook, Jared Dudley and Troy Daniels. They believe they have 3-and-D guys with the additions of Green, Avery Bradley and the re-signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. And they added size with DeMarcus Cousins and re-signed JaVale McGee while also bolstering their backcourt depth and bringing Alex Caruso back. This is a roster built to contend for a championship, and anything short of a deep playoff run will be a disappointment. -- Youngmisuk

Key additions: Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, Danny Green, Jared Dudley, Avery Bradley

Key subtractions: Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Tyson Chandler

I’m fine with the Lakers being ranked 6th but why are the Bucks ranked #1? They are worse then last year with Brogdon leaving.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers seemed to have valued Kuz as much or more than BI/Lonzo/4th pick. Whether that's objectively true or not, the Lakers seem to feel that Kuz was worth keeping.

That is true. But internally, they seem to value him tremendously. Sent him even to the lottery drawing.

He'd better be careful. From Byron Scott to Magic Johnson, guys tend to disappear pretty quick after representing us in the lottery

Ha yeah. And especially if they are closing to being extension eligible.

Crazy that out of all the YUTES we drafted, only 1 signed any extension (Jordan Clarkson!).
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Crazy that out of all the YUTES we drafted, only 1 signed any extension (Jordan Clarkson!).

Dlo got himself a pretty good deal though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dlo got himself a pretty good deal though.

Yeah. Jules/DLO/Nance got paid, others like Thomas Bryant did too.

But it's crazy how the Lakers with #7/#2/#2/#2 ended up extending none of them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm not pining after themselves ...

Randle .... $21 million
Russell.... $27 million
Nance.... $13 million
Zubic ..... $7 million

With Ingram and then Ball set to come off their rookie deals. ...

Not sure there's a contract in the bunch I'd want.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe NO valued him less?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Randle .... $21 million
Russell.... $27 million
Nance.... $13 million
Zubic ..... $7 million

I could understand a DLO deal b/c it would solidify an AD/DLO future pairing. But yeah the Lakers basically didn't think they were worth keeping at those prices. BI won't be cheap either.

I remember folks here on LG thinking that we would keep all the YUTES; this is why it usually doesn't happen.

Heck, even OKC let Harden go b/c they didn't want to amnesty Perkins and/or pay a few million per year to keep Harden.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Maybe NO valued him less?

We will never know. But from all outward indications, the Lakers seem to love Kuz whether that was the right or wrong call.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Randle .... $21 million
Russell.... $27 million
Nance.... $13 million
Zubic ..... $7 million

I could understand a DLO deal b/c it would solidify an AD/DLO future pairing. But yeah the Lakers basically didn't think they were worth keeping at those prices. BI won't be cheap either.

I remember folks here on LG thinking that we would keep all the YUTES; this is why it usually doesn't happen.

Heck, even OKC let Harden go b/c they didn't want to amnesty Perkins and/or pay a few million per year to keep Harden.

Plus if the FO had kept and paid for the young players the Buss family might have to consider having to pay luxury tax.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:
If we win the championship this season then it's a B. If not, it's a D. We gave our future away for AD and we could have got him straight up if we waited a year, and all Pelinka did was take what was left after Kawhi told us no.

Just like Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.

They'd both be Lakers is "someone" wasn't on the team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

We were able to (1) get rid of Magic as PBO, (2) trade for Davis, and (3) the Clips aren't going to just let Jeanie run the team as a cash cow.

Big picture, it was a GREAT offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:
If we win the championship this season then it's a B. If not, it's a D. We gave our future away for AD and we could have got him straight up if we waited a year, and all Pelinka did was take what was left after Kawhi told us no.

PG13 was scared to meet with Magic. Scared. Doubt he's coming here by himself. But hey, keep on being scared by the LBJ boogeyman.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
AD alone is an A+. He'll be better than any young player we gave up. Glad we're finally in a "win now" mode, instead of "be patient" mode.

I think people are going to be in for a pleasant (instead of rude) awakening. With LBJ directing the offense, I think AD may be close to scoring 30ppg with his usual rebounding and defense.

AD vs. Greek this year is going to be the (bleep).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
AD alone is an A+. He'll be better than any young player we gave up. Glad we're finally in a "win now" mode, instead of "be patient" mode.

I think people are going to be in for a pleasant (instead of rude) awakening. With LBJ directing the offense, I think AD may be close to scoring 30ppg with his usual rebounding and defense.

AD vs. Greek this year is going to be the (bleep).

I think people will also be surprised at his rim protection and all NBA defense. When's the last time we had that kind of big man defender?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Kawhi wanted to be traded to the Lakers after Lebron joined last summer. Not sure who you're talking about.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I give it a C because of the uncertainty of AD's time here. After watching his repeated dodges to the question I'm more concerned than I previously was about his commitment. I don't think it would bother him one bit to leave this team empty handed.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Kawhi wanted to be traded to the Lakers after Lebron joined last summer. Not sure who you're talking about.

Link? I never saw anything from a known insider that said he wanted to team up with Bron.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Link? I never saw anything from a known insider that said he wanted to team up with Bron.

If anything, there is no such thing as a "known insider" after Kawhi.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-rumors-kawhi-leonard-wants-trade-lakers-lebron-james-decision-sign/2018/07/01/

Reported by Woj.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-rumors-kawhi-leonard-wants-trade-lakers-lebron-james-decision-sign/2018/07/01/

Reported by Woj.

Thanks. Didn't catch that. Too bad KL changed his mind about that (or was already lying about it).
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

C+
Would have loved to see them bring on a 3rd star. They made some nice pick ups with some duds as well (KCP for 8 mil). Dig the additions of Bradley, Cousins and Cook.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Reported by Woj.

Thanks. Didn't catch that. Too bad KL changed his mind about that (or was already lying about it).

Eh. This was just a Woj tweet based on "sources" which could be anyone. This kind of "reporting" is just filling space.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Reported by Woj.

Eh. This was just a Woj tweet based on "sources" which could be anyone. This kind of "reporting" is just filling space.

Does Woj seem like the kinda person that would report the word of just some dude?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I give them a B
-given we were like the only suitor for the AD trade thanks to Klutch scaring away the Celtics, I think we could have drove a better bargin by saving atleast a future 1st rounder for ourselves
-I dont fault us for the Kawhi failure. I put 100% blame on Kawhi for stringing us along for a week. Man up and just choose the Clippers right away if thats what you want. And even if we went hard for other players there werent many deals to be had with other players.
-I think we did about as good as we could have done once Kawhi went to clippers. Didnt like the KCP over pay though
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: