Grade the Lakers Offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you grade the Lakers offseason?
A
47%
 47%  [ 70 ]
B
41%
 41%  [ 61 ]
C
10%
 10%  [ 16 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 148

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Grade the Lakers Offseason

Simple letter grade.

Of course getting KL would have been an A+ summer, but I think the team did a good job rebounding from it with smart and sensible deals. We are 2+ deep at every position except SF. If they can get Iggy, I'd feel a lot better. For purposes of this poll, I consider AD as part of the offseason as the trade wasn't officially consummated until after the new season started.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

A-
I'm a believer in Bradley being an elite 1v1 defender. Green is a great pickup. Cousins had a great month stretch to end his year after shaking his rust off; and he's in shape now. Year 2 post major injury is always at least slightly better, especially when skinnier.
THT has starter potential one day.
SF defender depth wasn't a surplus in the market.. would have = A+

championship potential = A grade Summer
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

A solid A-
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Green: A-
Boogie: A
KCP: D
Rondo: D
Dudley: C
Daniels: C
JaVale B+
Bradley: A-
Cook: B
Caruso: A

I think that’s roughly a B average for the FAs.

AD is A- because they still gave up a ton to get him.

Last edited by LakerSD on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

Only reason I can't get an A is that we maneuvered for years to get 2 max FAs and ended up trading a LOT to get AD (who is amazing).

We failed on the 2 max FA goal but still ended up with AD/LBJ so that's why I have them at a B.

The 2 year deals are also very smart and gives us a fighting chance to chase Giannis in 2021 (not particularly looking forward to star FA chasing again after the PG and KL experiences).

Getting AD was so huge, and then I have the Boogie trade being the 2nd best move at 3.5m. Danny Green was also a really nice pickup and limited to 2 years too.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Only reason I can't get an A is that we maneuvered for years to get 2 max FAs and ended up trading a LOT to get AD (who is amazing).

We failed on the 2 max FA goal but still ended up with AD/LBJ so that's why I have them at a B.

The 2 year deals are also very smart and gives us a fighting chance to chase Giannis in 2021 (not particularly looking forward to star FA chasing again after the PG and KL experiences).

Getting AD was so huge, and then I have the Boogie trade being the 2nd best move at 3.5m. Danny Green was also a really nice pickup and limited to 2 years too.

I just wonder what kind of off-season we would have been looking at if we hadn't pursued the AD trade and just gone after a second star via free-agency.

KD, Kyrie, Kawhi already had their plans heading into free-agency that did not include signing with the Lakers and Klay, Harris and Middleton took the 5-year deals and stayed with their teams.

So which max FAs did that leave? DLo, Butler, and Kemba. Would we have been better off keeping Ingram and Ball if one of those guys was our second star?

The FO went after the sure thing with the AD trade to get the second star. They saved the risk for landing a third star while also having a solid backup plan to supplement the roster when that risk didn't pan out.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

From lottery team to one of the odds on favorites to win the title.

It has to be an A, though Kawhi would have been an A++
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

It B-.

Grading the off-season must include primarily an evaluation of what the Lakers front office is left with at the end of the the period.

Fundamentally, they are relying on an aged (35 in December) player to be a guard. There's not been a great history in this league of team success springing from aged mobile players.

That the second best player hasn't pushed a team into real playoff contention, the grade is B at best and a weak B.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

Getting AD automatically made it an A.

Had we not gone down the Kawhi path, maybe we end up with Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker, but I like the fact that we have the flexibility to reboot next year with expirings or in 2 years with straight cap space. Of the role players we missed out on, the only guy I really wanted was Beverly. Cousins and Green were ideal pickups and if Bradley has ANYTHING left in the tank, we'll be great.

The regret (for me) over not getting Kawhi was that we would've been set for 5 years as the favorite - "given health" - but that was moderated by the fact that I also have real concerns about that quad.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

Solid B.

They added Davis. They added several solid vet role players to support him and James. They improved the overall coaching staff.

Not thrilled with a couple of the signings (Cousins, Rondo) but overall the roster is about as solid a couple year win now roster as could be reasonably expected. FO did a good job covering once Leonard chose elsewhere.

Now it becomes a team chemistry experiment. Can this team learn quickly enough how to play together as a team on both ends. Then sustain it. Do not envy the job Vogel is expected to do to manage the egos, personalities and player “needs” in his first year. COY candidate if he can.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

I wanted Kawhi badly too but I'm glad we secured AD first even if it meant giving up assets. Otherwise, we'd be in big trouble right now.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

A-

Had to wait for KL, so no complaints there, did a pretty solid job filling out the roster, a couple of signings I wasn't a huge fan of, but liked these were all basically 2 year signings, makes them movable contracts if needed and players won't have FA looming over there head during the season.

On paper I think we look really strong, hopefully we have good health next season as a whole, if so I believe we will win it.

Cousins and Kuzma are 2 big x factors if either one of them uncork a solid season, Lakers will be tough...I think Bradley is going to be really strong for us as well.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

F for the trade... A for the recovery... especially if they get Iggy, so overall C.

Next season will be good... but the test will be in future seasons when they have to actually pay for quality players like Rondo, DMC, Kuzma.

Things look very good because we have two potentially all star quality players working for nothing. If you take away those two... the future looks much dimmer.

If LBJ leaves in two or three years giving us cap space and the chance to pair AD with another young star in 2021... then I'd say Rob did a good job setting us up with these short contracts.

If Klutch pairs him with AD as a package deal beyond those two or three years... then the gain of signing this elite young player has been virtually neutralized... unless LBJ does the unexpected and plays like an elite until he's 40.

Sorry to sound negative... but I think there's reasonable worry to think some of these scenarios may happen.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

B

Getting Davis was good. But the price was the remnants of our young core and our draft rights until the middle of the next decade. You cannot separate the commodity from what you paid for it. And we paid a lot. The last piece of the young core is Kuzma, and he is the guy with the least upside. Time will tell whether the right analogy is to the Kareem trade or to the Herschel Walker trade.

I don't blame the front office for rolling the dice on Leonard, but I'm bemused by the fact that they seemed to have no idea what he was thinking. We miss Jerry Buss in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. I think Dr. Buss would have talked to Leonard for a couple hours and known what was up.

I am not happy with the newly minted 2021 strategy. Must we keep doing this to ourselves? In the entire post-merger era (1976 to present), I can think of only two superstar free agents who signed with the Lakers: Shaq and Lebron. Both of them were driven as much by Hollywood opportunities as by playing for the Lakers. I remember seeing an article ranking the Lakers' best free agent signings, and the list included Steve Blake. For real. So now we spend two years hoping that Giannis will sign with us. Wonderful.

Having said all of that, our free agent signings may have resembled a dumpster dive, but it wasn't all bad. Cousins is low risk, high reward. I'm not sure why we paid Danny Green so much, but he doesn't suck. Overall, it is not as much of a freak show as last year, but there are still legitimate doubts as to how all of this will fit together.

So we shall see. If everything clicks and we avoid major injuries, I can see this team contending for a title. If things do not click and we have injury issues, I could see us struggling to make the playoffs. Overall, the Magic-Pelinka era has gained us a couple superstars (though one of them is aging), but I'm not sure whether we have actually advanced the franchise compared to letting the kids develop. We bought a narrow window, but that window could slam shut on us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

Thankfully we finally got some shooters. We will miss however, BI and Lonzo's defense at the wing position. Green will make up for a lot, but Bradley needs to bounce back to Celtics level defense as he's been a net negative recently.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

* Overpaid on AD to make a max slot we didn't use.
* Got AD
* Missed on KL
* Executed Plan B which looks adequate
I give them a B.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

I don’t understand complaining about overpaying Green, when we won’t have any cap next year anyway..and in this market he was worth like 13M instead of 15...2M makes no difference in the ability to get another player
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I don’t understand complaining about overpaying Green, when we won’t have any cap next year anyway..and in this market he was worth like 13M instead of 15...2M makes no difference in the ability to get another player

Yeah. I'd rather "overpay" him for a 2 year deal. I was worried about going into a 4 year deal with a currently 32 year old Green.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Not signing any contract for more than 2 years was HUGE.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Not signing any contract for more than 2 years was HUGE.

So that’s like semi-punt, which we have been doing forever it seems. I’m still disappointed we didn’t land Kyrie or jimmy butler. We need that 2nd perimeter superstar to win in today’s NBA. It’s no longer a big men’s league. Also the failure to extend AD immediately after the trade will cast a cloud over this team rest of the season if they don’t perform up to par.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Swing and miss, good effort and I’m good with them going for the home run but we did miss so solid B+ (AD alone made it a great off season)
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

A for AD. Nothing else matters.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
It B-.

Grading the off-season must include primarily an evaluation of what the Lakers front office is left with at the end of the the period.

Fundamentally, they are relying on an aged (35 in December) player to be a guard. There's not been a great history in this league of team success springing from aged mobile players.

That the second best player hasn't pushed a team into real playoff contention, the grade is B at best and a weak B.

I pretty much agree. Not having a good PG could be an issue, and we are relying on guys who aren’t at the positive end of the health spectrum. Health is determining series these days.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

got AD

got boogie and mcgee to make AD a PF

got some shooting

still have a spot

castrated the balls

avoided dlo

the first point is already an A, the rest is bonus. Everyone else just got high off their own supply for the last few years. But that's why Jeanie has always been so great at selling belief to fans.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
* Overpaid on AD to make a max slot we didn't use.
* Got AD
* Missed on KL
* Executed Plan B which looks adequate
I give them a B.

Pretty much. They could very well be burnt to the ground if AD doesn't want to be a laker a year from now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: