Dwight Howard interested in re-joining Lakers (DWIGHT BACK TO LAKERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers sign Dwight Howard?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 65 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 202 ]
Total Votes : 267

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
55 wrote:
I can't think of a past Laker who's hated more than this clown.

No one else comes close, not even Smush and Tierre Brown.

edit: clarity

Imagine the Clippers with Kawhi, Paul George, AND Dwight Howard. Lots of people to boo on that team.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Dwight vs Boogie

Look at the difference in field goal percentage... 16% higher than AD, 18% higher than DMC in head to head matches. Also outrebounded him and doubled the number of blocks.

And that was when Boogie was healthy.

But sure, keep up the snappy one liners... because one liners win chips.

Keep him away from the Clippers.

I don't care if he's here... I just don't want him on any of our major rivals.

Can you imagine how good Dwight would have been if he was as effective as Cousins was on offense?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Ingram14 wrote:
He’s trying to do what every other free agent does to the Lakers, mentions he might be interested in signing with them, just to put pressure and gain leverage with the team he actually wants to go to.

Except this time no one is buying his BS.

Maybe the clippers fall for it and he’ll go in there and ruin the locker room just like the last 7 teams he was on.

How many times can you state, “I left the team worse than when I arrived” before you look in the mirror and reassess.

A lot will depend if he's actually had a come to Jesus moment where he realizes he's no longer a star and is willing to play defense and rebound on limited minutes. If so, he could be useful. But I think any team that signs him will have him on a short leash -- he'll be on a vet min contract so he'll be easy to cut.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Ingram14 wrote:
He’s trying to do what every other free agent does to the Lakers, mentions he might be interested in signing with them, just to put pressure and gain leverage with the team he actually wants to go to.

Except this time no one is buying his BS.

Maybe the clippers fall for it and he’ll go in there and ruin the locker room just like the last 7 teams he was on.

How many times can you state, “I left the team worse than when I arrived” before you look in the mirror and reassess.

A lot will depend if he's actually had a come to Jesus moment where he realizes he's no longer a star and is willing to play defense and rebound on limited minutes. If so, he could be useful. But I think any team that signs him will have him on a short leash -- he'll be on a vet min contract so he'll be easy to cut.

At this point he was skinny rook who tasted Kobe’s brass ones on a posterization dunk. Then he got bulked up (was it roids? Hmmm) and he was supposed to be the next Shaq. Well, clanked free throws, clearly he was no Shaquille O’Neal. Time for a dose of humility after he’s been on multiple rosters and see if he can end up with a respectable career.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

D12 is like a bad case of STD's considering he's been passed around from one NBA team to another....so why would the Lakers need to sign him to keep him away from the Clippers? He might destroy your locker room chemistry. People who look at players strictly from a statistics point of view do not know how to build a basketball team. There are players with good stats that are no longer in the NBA because they don't fit with any teams.
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject:

Remember how this jackass left us. Funny how the tables have turned. He is not even worth any more word count.
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

He was never the same after back surgery #1.

Now he's had another type of back/butt surgery. Karma sure came back to this dude.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

injuries considered, he's still had a yearly "life changing realizations" every time he changes teams.

if we fall for that twice, it'd be very disappointing. might as well be one of his baby-mommas
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

We badly need backup wing defenders.

As stated, Dwight will have such a limited role that you're asking him to sit there and not be a distraction, which is not likely.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

As stated, Dwight will have such a limited role that you're asking him to sit there and not be a distraction, which is not likely.

Agree. That tall long wing defender is a must. We have 4 PG's, various
options at SG, PF and 3 at C.

As for SF we have LBJ and Dudley do right. Then SF:

1- here will probably be more "load management" this season
to have LBJ crisp for the PO's and
2- during the season & PO's we'll need SF bodies to throw at teams like the
Clips while LBJ gets a rest.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agree. That tall long wing defender is a must. We have 4 PG's, various
options at SG, PF and 3 at C.

As for SF we have LBJ and Dudley do right. Then SF:

1- here will probably be more "load management" this season
to have LBJ crisp for the PO's and
2- during the season & PO's we'll need SF bodies to throw at teams like the
Clips while LBJ gets a rest.

Yeah. Say in the playoffs LBJ gets into foul trouble. Who is the first wing defender coming off the bench? Dudley?

We really need Iggy...
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
To sign a player to only to keep him from other teams and then trade him off somewhere else is dishonest and a bad look. I don’t even understand why this is even being discussed. It frankly shows little to no understanding about how business ethics works.

You mean the way we encouraged a player to quit on his team and essentially boycott a season so he could force his way here?

Please... let's not go there.

And in response to 1947's earlier comment... sure, I'll tenaciously argue a point but I truly don't care if we get Dwight... I'm happy if he goes back to Atlanta where the team will be good but not dangerous.

It amazes me how pressed people get about him.

Strategy... nothing more.

I did want to give Boogie a chance though... Dwight, I don't care other than making sure he's not a Clipper.

Not even remotely the same. There you go with your ridiculous comparisons.

He has issues wherever he goes. That is well documented and undeniable. He’s not worth the headache or he would be on a team already. Period.

You're the one who started with business ethics discussions.

It's unethical to tamper with another team's player under contract.

Both actions seem distasteful to me.

What does Dwight care if we sign him and don't use him? He has few options... and if someone gets hurt... he gets a shot at rehabilitating his career on the premier team in the league. I don't see how that's less ethical than having AD boycott the Pelicans when he's under contract.

Your chemistry arguments are fair and valid... But I just think we have the vets to control him. I also think Doc can control him.

If he goes to Atlanta... fine.

I don't want him on the Clippers.

It’s been clearly stated that Pelinka spoke with both AD and Lebron about our roster makeup. Possibly they said f no. I wouldn’t doubt it.

Perhaps our locker room can control it. But what if they don’t want to? That’s what management and coaches are for. Employees can be disgruntled when they have to deal with bad coworkers. You have mentioned quite a few times that AD can leave next year and that’s a risk. Isn’t it also a risk to make him unhappy and play with such a malcontent?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
We need a billboard:

#Rollover&PlayDead.D12

I think “stay” still works
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
To sign a player to only to keep him from other teams and then trade him off somewhere else is dishonest and a bad look. I don’t even understand why this is even being discussed. It frankly shows little to no understanding about how business ethics works.

You mean the way we encouraged a player to quit on his team and essentially boycott a season so he could force his way here?

And in response to 1947's earlier comment... sure, I'll tenaciously argue a point but I truly don't care if we get Dwight... I'm happy if he goes back to Atlanta where the team will be good but not dangerous.

I did want to give Boogie a chance though... Dwight, I don't care other than making sure he's not a Clipper.

He has issues wherever he goes. That is well documented and undeniable. He’s not worth the headache or he would be on a team already. Period.

What does Dwight care if we sign him and don't use him? He has few options... and if someone gets hurt... he gets a shot at rehabilitating his career on the premier team in the league. I don't see how that's less ethical than having AD boycott the Pelicans when he's under contract.

Your chemistry arguments are fair and valid... But I just think we have the vets to control him. I also think Doc can control him.

It’s been clearly stated that Pelinka spoke with both AD and Lebron about our roster makeup. Possibly they said f no. I wouldn’t doubt it.

Perhaps our locker room can control it. But what if they don’t want to? That’s what management and coaches are for. Employees can be disgruntled when they have to deal with bad coworkers. You have mentioned quite a few times that AD can leave next year and that’s a risk. Isn’t it also a risk to make him unhappy and play with such a malcontent?

Yes, this would be an example of a good reason not to sign him.

Most of the reasons listed on this thread are not.

Again, Iggy should be priority number one... but if the choice is between some journeyman who's never done anything and Dwight, I'd take my chances on Dwight.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:

Yes, this would be an example of a good reason not to sign him.

Most of the reasons listed on this thread are not.

Again, Iggy should be priority number one... but if the choice is between some journeyman who's never done anything and Dwight, I'd take my chances on Dwight.

Agree on Iggy. Respectfully will just disagree on D12.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Fun fact:

Dwight and Iggy were selected #1 and 9 respectively in the 2004 NBA draft.

One is held in high accord, widely considered indispensible in the locker room and a championship player. Pretty crazy how Dwight's career started off with such pizazz and now he's begging teams to take him on. Meanwhile, Iggy will be a highly sought commodity even though he plays strictly role player minutes now.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Fun fact:

Dwight and Iggy were selected #1 and 9 respectively in the 2004 NBA draft.

One is held in high accord, widely considered indispensible in the locker room and a championship player. Pretty crazy how Dwight's career started off with such pizazz and now he's begging teams to take him on. Meanwhile, Iggy will be a highly sought commodity even though he plays strictly role player minutes now.

and now they're both stuck waiting to become ex-Grizzlies.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Imagine the Clippers with Kawhi, Paul George, AND Dwight Howard. Lots of people to boo on that team.

The booing that will rain down on them might even surpass what's usually reserved for the Celtics.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
We need a billboard:

#Rollover&PlayDead.D12

I think “stay” still works

So... cold
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Never again.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
55 wrote:

KCP for me. They both made pretty much the same money, but despite playing through injury/coming back too soon from surgery, Dwight was still more effective. I wonder how KCP would have done under the glare of Kobe. We might have an even more unforgiving perspective on him. Meanwhile, put Dwight with Lebron and the light isn't as harsh (Lebron would've been easier on him).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
K2 wrote:
55 wrote:

KCP for me. They both made pretty much the same money, but despite playing through injury/coming back too soon from surgery, Dwight was still more effective. I wonder how KCP would have done under the glare of Kobe. We might have an even more unforgiving perspective on him. Meanwhile, put Dwight with Lebron and the light isn't as harsh (Lebron would've been easier on him).

Man, I'm trying SO hard to root for KCP. I guess he won't go away so I have no other choice.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
K2 wrote:
55 wrote:

Lebron has this ability to get his team to dance and take wins personal in a different way

Kobe is even a different Alpha.. He is extreme commitment and professionalism -wants others to succeed and tries to help them but is too smart to depend on them which could backfire on their confidence

If I was Kobe's teammate I would have trouble being too in awe and trying to pass him the ball all game anyhow..

I went looking for a Kobe Stare image and found this gem.. some people might chuckle too hard..
Stare of Death for Mike Brown
https://media.giphy.com/media/z1rhF15Hyhszu/giphy.gif

Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Why is this still being discussed? Didn't the Lakers already pass on him?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Why is this still being discussed? Didn't the Lakers already pass on him?

He hasn't even been waived yet, so nothing has happened except speculation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15
Jump to: