Quasi-Official BOOGIE COUSINS Thread (Charges Dropped)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
Just give Dwight a camp invite. Call it a day.

He is a Grizzly

I didn’t think he had been bought out yet. Wasn’t sure though. I keep seeing things about him going to team “x”. Feels like a strange situation that he hasn’t been bought out yet.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

He is a Grizzly

I didn’t think he had been bought out yet. Wasn’t sure though. I keep seeing things about him going to team “x”. Feels like a strange situation that he hasn’t been bought out yet.

It is a strange situation.

Dwight hasn't been bought out yet, but Dwight himself has been giving interviews talking about what teams he wants to play for as if he is a free agent.

I wonder if the NBA can fine him for tampering with himself.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Why do they need to sign another traditional center (not to mention a washed-up one)? This sort of clears the way to use AD now at his best position, while honestly maintaining they tried their best to honor his preference of playing the 4. It's not their fault the Cousins signing was a bust and everyone else left was crap.

I hate to say it but this is not necessarily bad news (although maybe it leads to Melo)...

Because Davis can leave the Lakers and the team needs to make sure that doesn’t happen. Saying “we tried” isn’t good enough for a lot of people when they say they don’t want to play center. Especially when other teams would love to steal him away and give him what he wants because he is Anthony Davis.

So we play some bum who shouldn't be in the league just to appease him? I assume at least a part of him cares about winning.

It would only be for the season anyway.

That is the root of the problem with the Laker's desperation all-in move, isn't it?

Lakers must appease both James and now Davis.

That's life in the modern NBA. With shorter contracts, and quicker opt-outs, teams have to appease their stars, because stars can move along pretty easily these days.

Smart coaches don't try to order stars around; they try to sell them on their approach, and sell the star that their approach will benefit both the team and the star.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Why do they need to sign another traditional center (not to mention a washed-up one)? This sort of clears the way to use AD now at his best position, while honestly maintaining they tried their best to honor his preference of playing the 4. It's not their fault the Cousins signing was a bust and everyone else left was crap.

I hate to say it but this is not necessarily bad news (although maybe it leads to Melo)...

Because Davis can leave the Lakers and the team needs to make sure that doesn’t happen. Saying “we tried” isn’t good enough for a lot of people when they say they don’t want to play center. Especially when other teams would love to steal him away and give him what he wants because he is Anthony Davis.

So we play some bum who shouldn't be in the league just to appease him? I assume at least a part of him cares about winning.

That is the root of the problem with the Laker's desperation all-in move, isn't it?

That's life in the modern NBA. With shorter contracts, and quicker opt-outs, teams have to appease their stars, because stars can move along pretty easily these days.

Smart coaches don't try to order stars around; they try to sell them on their approach, and sell the star that their approach will benefit both the team and the star.

I wonder why the max has been reduced from six years to four for teams without Bird Rights.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

But if you can’t even get a guy to do what is obviously best for the team then what’s the point of it all? I would have major reservations about throwing out guaranteed max dollars to players who care more about themselves than the franchise stuffing their pockets with cash.
Just disheartening as a fan.
LeBron really hurt this league overall with his “player empowerment” movement, in my opinion. Now everyone can be a diva and they’re aren’t ashamed of it at all.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

What about Spencer Hawes? He's a 7-footer who shoots a career 35% from 3s. I last saw him with the South Bay Lakers; he made some sweet passes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

He is a Grizzly

The Grizzlies could have a couple of guys who other teams might want, they would be wise to hang onto them and at the deadline a trade or two might be possible.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

But if you can’t even get a guy to do what is obviously best for the team then what’s the point of it all? I would have major reservations about throwing out guaranteed max dollars to players who care more about themselves than the franchise stuffing their pockets with cash.
LeBron really hurt this league overall with his “player empowerment” movement, in my opinion. Now everyone can be a diva and they’re aren’t ashamed of it at all.

He waived his $4 million trade kicker to try and help the team sign another big free agent. And Davis playing the 5 is bad for the team. It’s more wear and tear on his body if he bangs with the other centers in the league.

I know some people will say things like “4 million is nothing to him” but you might be surprised how much it can piss rich people off when they lose any money at all. And some of these guys will blow it all. There are recent reports that Adrian Pederson is having serious money problems despite making around $100 million in his career.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Faried, speights, hawes are all reasonable options. Probably would prefer Faried just because of his versatility. Then get experimental with Antetokounmpo at the 5 and let the chips fall where they may.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He waived his $4 million trade kicker to try and help the team sign another big free agent. And Davis playing the 5 is bad for the team. It’s more wear and tear on his body if he bangs with the other centers in the league.

I know some people will say things like “4 million is nothing to him” but you might be surprised how much it can piss rich people off when they lose any money at all.

We signed his best bud to man the 5. Now he can’t play. Suck it up and do what your teammates need you to do.
That’s the way I see it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I wonder why the max has been reduced from six years to four for teams without Bird Rights.

A lot of those moves were intended to induce players not to move around and create stability. It didn't work, obviously.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:

"Player empowerment" was inevitable with or without Lebron.

Players have always tried to exercise as much power as they could. Decades ago, Kareem forced his way to the Lakers and Magic got a coach fired because he didn't like the style of play the coach liked. Steve Francis refused to report to the team that drafted him and forced that team to trade him.

The increase in salaries, endorsement money, and ability to control their own messaging through social media has simply given more power to players.

The league tried to induce players to stay with teams through changes to the CBA, but it didn't work.

Superstars realize they can go where want, move around as much as they want, and demand what they want. Teams agree because they know that getting one of the leagues top superstars can change the fortune of a team.

If you don't play ball, you don't get a superstar. It's that simple.

In reality, I think players have always cared about themselves more than the franchise. The difference today is that they no longer feel the need to hide that fact.

And I don't blame them. WHy shouldn't players be in it for themselves. Teams are in it for themselves. They'll trade a guy at the snap of a finger if they think it's to their benefit no matter what the guy has done for them. Just ask Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

Last edited by activeverb on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

He is a Grizzly

It is a strange situation.

Dwight hasn't been bought out yet, but Dwight himself has been giving interviews talking about what teams he wants to play for as if he is a free agent.

I wonder if the NBA can fine him for tampering with himself.

<pause>
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
What about Spencer Hawes? He's a 7-footer who shoots a career 35% from 3s. I last saw him with the South Bay Lakers; he made some sweet passes.

A camp invite would be nice to see.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Although I also wonder if Gortat is busy this October.

Setting picks, rim protection, we could do worse.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I will go for Spencer Hawes for b/up center. He shoots threes and can really pass the ball.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
I will go for Spencer Hawes for b/up center. He shoots threes and can really pass the ball.

Can’t play a lick of D. The Lakers showed interest in Amir Johnson during free agency so it wouldn’t surprise me. I prefer Dwight and Faried. We’ll see
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I like Noah. Ever since Cousin's injury, I've been watching past Griz. games and he can be a key contributor off the bench.

1. He still defends in the post and in space. A high I.Q. guy who can quarterback the defense from the center position. Defensively, I think he fits better than Cousins.

2. A very good passer from the center spot. Sets good screens and is always looking to make the right play.

3. High energy guy who gives 100% whenever he's on the court, perfect for a bench role.

He's never attempted a 3pt shot in his career, combined with his funky two-handed form there is definitely going to be some spacing issues but at this point he seem to me the best option.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:

Players have always tried to exercise as much power as they could. Decades ago, Kareem forced his way to the Lakers and Magic got a coach fired because he didn't like the style of play the coach liked. Steve Francis refused to report to the team that drafted him and forced that team to trade him.

The increase in salaries, endorsement money, and ability to control their own messaging through social media has simply given more power to players.

The league tried to induce players to stay with teams through changes to the CBA, but it didn't work.

Superstars realize they can go where want, move around as much as they want, and demand what they want. Teams agree because they know that getting one of the leagues top superstars can change the fortune of a team.

In reality, I think players have always cared about themselves more than the franchise. The difference today is that they no longer feel the need to hide that fact.

And I don't blame them. WHy shouldn't players be in it for themselves. Teams are in it for themselves. They'll trade a guy at the snap of a finger if they think it's to their benefit no matter what the guy has done for them. Just ask Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

Fair points, and well documented.
But things are WAY different now and that’s as much a part of LeBron’s legacy as all the assists and rebounds. Whether or not this type of player autonomy was inevitable, LeBron will always be known as the one who changed the landscape for the players. They won, no doubt.
I just feel everyone else lost, is all 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by LaLaLakeShow on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
I like Noah. Ever since Cousin's injury, I've been watching past Griz. games and he can be a key contributor off the bench.

1. He still defends in the post and in space. A high I.Q. guy who can quarterback the defense from the center position. Defensively, I think he fits better than Cousins.

2. A very good passer from the center spot. Sets good screens and is always looking to make the right play.

3. High energy guy who gives 100% whenever he's on the court, perfect for a bench role.

He's never attempted a 3pt shot in his career, combined with his funky two-handed form there is definitely going to be some spacing issues but at this point he seem to me the best option.

Just seems like a zero percent chance Noah and Lebron would play together. That beef is deep
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
aiel wrote:

Just seems like a zero percent chance Noah and Lebron would play together. That beef is deep

LeBron-Lance
Kobe-Barnes
Kobe-Artest

winning will heal all wounds
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:

Fair points, and well documented.
But things are WAY different now and that’s as much a part of LeBron’s legacy as all the assists and rebounds. Whether or not this type of player autonomy was inevitable, LeBron will always be known as the one who changed the landscape for the players. They won, no doubt.
I just feel everyone else lost, is all 🤷‍♂️

I agree. Lebron is the face of player empowerment. He showed a star could not just pick his team, he could create his team and win with it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

aiel wrote:

He had a good season but he still only played about half the games and ended the season sitting out with soreness in his right knee. The big concern is how many games will you get out of him. Big roll of the dice.
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

If AD leaves, then the last several years are a complete waste. Selling the farm for one guy would set us back another decade if he bolts.
...and AD doesnt want to play the 5.
So we do whatever it takes to have him play minimal minutes at the 5 so he resigns a max deal.
Therefore, we get a center to soak up minutes.
I used to love Faried's energy and game but he is too small.
Speights, Dwight, Gortat, Johnson etc all make sense to one degree or another.

Simple as that.

and when LeBronze leaves in 2 years, we go hard after Giannis
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

My predictions are usually wrong, but I just don't see AD bailing on us after one year. It would make him and rich paul look like real jerks with what we gave up to trade for him.

JoeKool wrote:
If AD leaves, then the last several years are a complete waste. Selling the farm for one guy would set us back another decade if he bolts.
...and AD doesnt want to play the 5.
So we do whatever it takes to have him play minimal minutes at the 5 so he resigns a max deal.
Therefore, we get a center to soak up minutes.
I used to love Faried's energy and game but he is too small.
Speights, Dwight, Gortat, Johnson etc all make sense to one degree or another.

Simple as that.

and when LeBronze leaves in 2 years, we go hard after Giannis
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 50 of 69
Jump to: