Magic trying to take credit for signing Kawhi ultimately backfired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject:

BK wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
look you can say what you want but if magic was in the front office....kawhi would be a laker.....he had no one in the office he could trust

Some of you guys are still so naive or not smart enough to see how deliberate and scheming this entire thing was by KL and his team.

no doubt his strong gangster roots showed prominently in this whole process when you look back on it.. scared 3 entire organizations into hyper protective secretive mode while waiting to see if his preferred team the entire time could pull off the trade or get that second star.. he did all this while holding onto his other two options as fall backs without them even knowing until it was too late.. he took no risk and got exactly what he wanted giving zero effs about anyone in the process. pretty smart really even though it's shady asf but i truthfully dont think kawhi really cares about any fans or players other then his current teammates.

i just really hope this current lakers team can gel and come together because it's going to be painful as hell to see the clippers being the better team after all this went down. ten times worse then last season to say the least. the potential is def. there for the lakers to still be better though at least.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject:

This is one of the dirtiest games I've ever seen played in the NBA. It's one thing to use a team as leverage or make them look bad, like PG13's stupid docuseries, but it's another to commit an act that actually harms another team. #2 deliberately tried to weaken our team, and tampered against OKC. Such a punk move.

Can't put that on Magic, even if he was trying to grab attention. Magic's biggest mistake was not hiring Jerry. All the rest is just noise.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject:

I'm a conspiracy guy, but even this whole situation is a bit much.

No one assumes that KL's camp (whom Magic was closest with in lakers) mentioned the PG situation?

Even still , can't blame FO for hoping PG didn't happen and we became the choice. But there is no need to fool anyone if you're KL.

Magic likely believed Wests' ability to give up everything to land PG so leaked a little about himself. Not realizing he'd be the only leak and therefore blamed.
BK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

No one assumes that KL's camp (whom Magic was closest with in lakers) mentioned the PG situation?

Even still , can't blame FO for hoping PG didn't happen and we became the choice. But there is no need to fool anyone if you're KL.

Magic likely believed Wests' ability to give up everything to land PG so leaked a little about himself. Not realizing he'd be the only leak and therefore blamed.

The fact that so many TV analysts got it wrong leads me to believe the Lakers and in part Raptors were blindsided. Who do you think the sources are for these analysts? They are largely comprised of front office members. Why so many put themselves on the line saying 90 something percent Lakers or 99% Raptors? The only explanation is that the respective FOs were fed bullcrap from the KL camp and were deceptively led on.

You can't just say all the analysts don't have any sources, since they all got it wrong. What is the more likely scenario here? I am definitely not a conspiracy guy, but looking at the big picture, it is kind of obvious what happened here.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject:

BK wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

The fact that so many TV analysts got it wrong leads me to believe the Lakers and in part Raptors were blindsided. Who do you think the sources are for these analysts? They are largely comprised of front office members. Why so many put themselves on the line saying 90 something percent Lakers or 99% Raptors? The only explanation is that the respective FOs were fed bullcrap from the KL camp and were deceptively led on.

You can't just say all the analysts don't have any sources, since they all got it wrong. What is the more likely scenario here? I am definitely not a conspiracy guy, but looking at the big picture, it is kind of obvious what happened here.

each other.

When they all say "no one is talking" and then refer to "insider sources"... that IS the most obvious situation that they are referring to their own internal ESPN group chat.

The fact that you can't believe "so many got it wrong" is why Disney is the leading news source in the US.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

I think that with the reports that we are reading today and yesterday we can assume that #2 and his camp sabotaged the Lakers and the Raptors while also winning time for the Clippers to land PG. They also tampered against OKC by contacting PG's agent. When Lakers did this with AD they got fined with $500k.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject:

My feeling on Magic since he suddenly QUIT the team in a fit of pique, I’ll always love the player, but can’t be bothered anymore with the rest at least in terms of the Lakers as they exist today and going forward.

But of course the total WEAKNESS of ownership/management keeps the door wide open for Magic to continue doing whatever it is he’s doing, none of which is helpful to the Lakers organization in my humble opinion. Magic, the greatest floor leader in the history of the sport, is the quintessential self-absorbed free agent in his current incarnation.

If Ms. Buss would act like the owner that she is, it would be much better. Perhaps the next time Magic alerts the media that this player or that wants to speak with him regarding the Lakers, the so-called ownership and management of the team will release a strong statement reminding the world that Magic is no longer affiliated with the them and is acting of his own accord and on his own behalf, and that he in no way, shape or form represents the Los Angeles Lakers.

It would be nice for Ms. Buss to stop worrying about personal relationships that are doing the LAKERS absolutely no good whatsoever, and start tending to business in a more direct and effective manner. As in, if you’re associated with the Lakers, you are either all the way in, or you are all the way out.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
My feeling on Magic since he suddenly QUIT the team in a fit of pique, I’ll always love the player, but can’t be bothered anymore with the rest at least in terms of the Lakers as they exist today and going forward.

But of course the total WEAKNESS of ownership/management keeps the door wide open for Magic to continue doing whatever it is he’s doing, none of which is helpful to the Lakers organization in my humble opinion. Magic, the greatest floor leader in the history of the sport, is the quintessential self-absorbed free agent in his current incarnation.

If Ms. Buss would act like the owner that she is, it would be much better. Perhaps the next time Magic alerts the media that this player or that wants to speak with him regarding the Lakers, the so-called ownership and management of the team will release a strong statement reminding the world that Magic is no longer affiliated with the them and is acting of his own accord and on his own behalf, and that he in no way, shape or form represents the Los Angeles Lakers.

It would be nice for Ms. Buss to stop worrying about personal relationships that are doing the LAKERS absolutely no good whatsoever, and start tending to business in a more direct and effective manner. As in, if you’re associated with the Lakers, you are either all the way in, or you are all the way out.

Preach!!!!!!

Coach Wooden
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

The ONLY thing Magic can take credit for is the Front Office Mess, he was hired to come in and fix the mess Jimbo did, instead he quits on the last game of the season and bad mouths the owner and the GM, because his precious little feelings were hurt..

Thanks Magic!
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Look guys, Magic can be embarrassing and Kawhi could have (bleep) us. Both can happen at the same time.

I'm 38 so I've been through most of the eras of modern Laker basketball. Magic was my childhood hero, but to be honest, ever since he retired, he has been a thorough embarrassment to the franchise.

Coaching stint? Went 5-11 and quit on the team. Sound familiar?
Remember when he came out of retirement and ruined our team chemistry, hypocritically criticized Van Exel in the media for bumping a ref and did it only a few games later himself?
Remember when he tried to buy a piece of the Supersonics while always posturing to be the face of the franchise?
Remember the Magic Hour?
Remember when he chimed in publicly regarding the Kobe/Shaq feud, essentially siding with Shaq? On inside the NBA he, verbatim, said, "I like Kobe, but I LOVE Shaq"
Disastrous run as POBO of Lakers. I don't need to comment more on this. But it was disastrous and embarrassed us as a franchise.
Leaking details of talks with Kawhi to show how much of a hero he is and how much Uncle Dennis loved him.

Magic was a great Laker and is a great businessman but he is EMBARRASSING for the franchise. Where is his class? Why doesn't he just chill out like Worthy, Kareem, Kobe, etc? This guy is so full of himself.

He is EMBARRASSING. Period.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Look guys, Magic can be embarrassing and Kawhi could have (bleep) us. Both can happen at the same time.

I'm 38 so I've been through most of the eras of modern Laker basketball. Magic was my childhood hero, but to be honest, ever since he retired, he has been a thorough embarrassment to the franchise.

Remember when he came out of retirement and ruined our team chemistry, hypocritically criticized Van Exel in the media for bumping a ref and did it only a few games later himself?
Remember when he tried to buy a piece of the Supersonics while always posturing to be the face of the franchise?
Remember the Magic Hour?
Remember when he chimed in publicly regarding the Kobe/Shaq feud, essentially siding with Shaq? On inside the NBA he, verbatim, said, "I like Kobe, but I LOVE Shaq"
Disastrous run as POBO of Lakers. I don't need to comment more on this. But it was disastrous and embarrassed us as a franchise.
Leaking details of talks with Kawhi to show how much of a hero he is and how much Uncle Dennis loved him.

Magic was a great Laker and is a great businessman but he is EMBARRASSING for the franchise. Where is his class? Why doesn't he just chill out like Worthy, Kareem, Kobe, etc? This guy is so full of himself.

Very well stated!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:

Yup, both contributed to everything that happened. And now, Kawhi's mouthpiece Cris Carter is already pinning the blame on Magic to make their side seem less shady. Only a matter of time before he does the same to them.
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:

Remember the Magic Hour?

Preach
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Told everyone Tragic Office would go down as the worst FO in Lakers' history. I feel vindicated. I'm glad Rob was able to at least salvage the 2019-20 season after Tragic stabbed him in the back and tried to sabotage him.

I'm sure had Jeanie installed a camera at the office, Tragic would've showed up every day and even worked late. No one loves to mug the camera more than him.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
Told everyone Tragic Office would go down as the worst FO in Lakers' history. I feel vindicated. I'm glad Rob was able to at least salvage the 2019-20 season after Tragic stabbed him in the back and tried to sabotage him.

I'm sure had Jeanie installed a camera at the office, Tragic would've showed up every day and even worked late. No one loves to mug the camera more than him.

"What's up twitter fans? Just chillin in the office today!"

Thankfully, Jeannie didn't give in to his wishes to fire Rob. I've been critical of the Rambii since Kurt's return but I'm keeping an open mind now.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

As much as I'd love to criticize Magic and his big mouth, he had nothing to do with KL snaking us.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Magic had nothing to do with Kawhi’s misdirection. KD dissed Kawhi, Kawhi needed a week to get Balmer to leverage OKC into a premature firesale of their franchise.

I think Jeanie needs to play the same kind of games the other owners play and have the Paul George transaction investigated by a league auditor.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Magic had nothing to do with Kawhi’s misdirection. KD dissed Kawhi, Kawhi needed a week to get Balmer to leverage OKC into a premature firesale of their franchise.

I think Jeanie needs to play the same kind of games the other owners play and have the Paul George transaction investigated by a league auditor.

You smelling that strange odor from OKC as well?

For whatever its worth, I find it interesting that Presti's buddy (whom he worked for) over at Indiana is who he got to send him PG13. Then Winger, the Clippers GM who was Presti's assistant, gets PG13 on the fly. Not saying buddies cant make deals, but where's the a strange fishy odor, there's probably some rotting fish
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

In December we'll come back and say, Magic's blunders saved us from signing Kawhi.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
In December we'll come back and say, Magic's blunders saved us from signing Kawhi.

Wouldn't be surprised at all, LG opinions turn on a dime. Until then, it's the Magic Hour on a perpetual re-run.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

You smelling that strange odor from OKC as well?

For whatever its worth, I find it interesting that Presti's buddy (whom he worked for) over at Indiana is who he got to send him PG13. Then Winger, the Clippers GM who was Presti's assistant, gets PG13 on the fly. Not saying buddies cant make deals, but where's the a strange fishy odor, there's probably some rotting fish

Of course I’m biased as all hell, but still, why so little resistance for a guy they just signed to max one season ago? And why so much resistance for AD who has express his desire to roll even with Zion coming to save the franchise?

To me it’s as underhanded as how we were perceived to be robbing the Hornets for Chris Paul all those years ago. Silver should look into why so little resistance in trading a franchise player like PG only a season into a max contract. He was one of their best players and now they’re in full exodus mode. Look at both teams books. Look at what peripheral funds could be exchanged under the table with this relatively new owner. If there’s no shady stuff, then so be it... but considering the scrutiny Magic and the Lakers organization has been under for the past 5 years, would it be too much to ask Silver to look into high profile out of the ordinary cases like the Clips/OKC trade? Your talking about the fans of the Raps and Thunder - season ticket holders that might want some transparency, considering the product that they were sold on, no longer exists for that team.

You open a whole can of worms... I mean what’s to stop us from doing under the table deals as well?

Last edited by €H£M£$TR¥ on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Who's Magic?
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
Given the way everything unfolded, I think it's safe to say Kawhi never wanted to come all along. Probably just didn't want to join "Lebron's team". Magic being blabbermouth is a net negative, but likely didn't affect his decision.

I agree. He never wanted to play with lebron. In hindsight it would have been much better if lebron never tried to recruit him by calling him during the playoffs. I understand you have to make an attempt, but someone should have told him to not even bother the guy and perhaps Kawhi would have never asked for a meeting, which would have let us know he didn't want to come here and we could have got better players to fill out the roster. lebrons desire to always have a stacked team backfired on him again.

P.S. Looks like we just signed Quinn Cook...whoever that is.

Magic is a traitorous idiot... yes.

However, the fact that we went hard after Kawhi and Kawhi used us as leverage to force the Clippers to make that trade works in our favor. Clippers gave up WAAAY too much for overrated Paul George, who was somewhat revealed last season as "just an all star" (or not quite).

Clippers are now positioned to have underwhelming results with huge expectations, probably friction with Doc Rivers, disatisfaction with being the B team, and yeah all that. Kawhi and PG is not a championship duo, it's not outlandish to think they miss the pkayoffs and have a knick like meltdown.

so us applying the pressure actually helped.

Also Danny Green is an excellent fit, and Demarcus Cousins now has the chance to develop into a max player for us whom we can re-sign.

Lebron
AD
Cousins
Kuzma

that's four possible all stars. I feel that Cousins getting better and he impressed me in the Finals
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
As much as I'd love to criticize Magic and his big mouth, he had nothing to do with KL snaking us.

Maybe. Or maybe him exposing all our FO’s dirty laundry on national tv and calling our GM a backstabber after blindsiding the entire organization from Jeanie all the way down to Lebron by quiting with zero notice to anyone on the last day of the season brought up major questions in Kawhi’s mind about trusting us with his future. Magic (bleep) us, period. He was a piece of (bleep) PoBO because not only did he want to do it part time, he also wanted to throw his weight around and make all the decisions even though he wasn’t the one who did the homework.

Magic Johnson is one of the greatest Laker players of all time and I will forever treasure the remarkable memories he gave me when I was a kid, but as an all time Laker in general he’s lower than (bleep) right now and I want him to have exactly nothing to do with the team going forward.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: