Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

I feel like some things need to be explained in one place for a lot of people on here saying why this why that etc...

1. Kuzma Is not a better or more sought after player than Ingram or Lonzo but was kept because of his minimal salary. His salary was the key part to his value.

2. Lakers couldn’t afford both Ball and Ingram to get another max player. These two are about to get paid very much, very soon.

3. Anthony Davis is 26. Will be a Laker post Lebron and likely just entering his prime. I think it’s overlooked just how young he is.

4. With this trade, Lakers have two easy avenues to a third star. Davis waive trade kicker, or lakers trade Bonga for cap relief.

5. 3 picks is a lot but the Lakers anticipate to be on top of the league, where the picks will fall very low in the draft.

Please feel free to fill in with anything I missed.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

1) BI, Zo and #4 had to go, but they could be moved for future picks if we could have kept them
2) We still need to clear some space for a FA above 6 years of tenure unless NO has agreed to suspend the trade until after FA signing period.

Last edited by LakersRGolden on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, Lebron has a short window left.

So, knowing LEGM, I dont get how people didn't see this coming....
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
I feel like some things need to be explained in one place for a lot of people on here saying why this why that etc...

1. Kuzma Is not a better or more sought after player than Ingram or Lonzo but was kept because of his minimal salary. His salary was the key part to his value.

2. Lakers couldn’t afford both Ball and Ingram to get another max player. These two are about to get paid very much, very soon.

3. Anthony Davis is 26. Will be a Laker post Lebron and likely just entering his prime. I think it’s overlooked just how young he is.

4. With this trade, Lakers have two easy avenues to a third star. Davis waive trade kicker, or lakers trade Bonga for cap relief.

5. 3 picks is a lot but the Lakers anticipate to be on top of the league, where the picks will fall very low in the draft.

#2. WRONG
#4. WRONG.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

RusselDoeee01 wrote:

The trade makes sense. The Lakers will end up with Lebron, Davis, and Walker or another max player. They'll have Kuz as a scorer off the bench. The question now is what vets can they scoop up for the minimum.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

activeverb wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

The trade makes sense. The Lakers will end up with Lebron, Davis, and Walker or another max player. They'll have Kuz as a scorer off the bench. The question now is what vets can they scoop up for the minimum.

I think Kuzma starts.

Lebron
Kuzma
Davis

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

When LeBron retires we’ll still have a 29 year old AD and max cap space
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Signing that third star/role guy is much easier and very real possibility.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

PICKnPOP wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I think Kuzma starts.

Lebron
Kuzma
Davis

That's possible. Ideally, I'd rather have a better shooter as the third front court player. Of course, a lot will depend on who the Lakers can coax here. Given that our roster will likely be thin, he'll get time whether he starts or comes off the bench, so it doesn't really matter much
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
Signing that third star/role guy is much easier and very real possibility.

Only justification.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Who knows? Lebron is signed here for 2-3 more years, but he could play longer. And it's really impossible to guess what our cap situation will be like 3 years now from, but assuming we have AD and say Walker signed to long-term contracts it's unlikely we'll have a max slot.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Posted in other thread:

I am still disappointed about not being patient and overpaying with Hart and another 2 picks, but I definitely can see see the logic:

Worst case scenario = Kids and draft picks flourish elsewhere while AD/1year rentals do not stay past LBJ era. However, that would also mean Lakers would have almost no salary on the books in 2021-22 and can start over with different superstars (Giannis happens to be a free agent 21-22 season).

Best Case Scenario = Lakers obtain either Kyrie or Kawhi and round out the roster with playoff level vets making them the odds on favorite for next couple of years with KD-Klay injuries and/or possibly Kawhi leaving the Raptors.

Rondo/Rose/Devin Harris
Kawhi or Kyrie/Crawford
LBJ/Stephenson
AD/Kuz/Wagner
Boogie/Lopez/McGee

The key will be contract management (value for money). If Rob can just continue to use either ring chasing vets and/or low draft picks for the necessary depth to contend for 3 years:

19-20 no FRP, LBJ 35 yrs old, AD 26 yrs old, "almost max" cap room

20-21 will have FRP, LBJ 36 yrs old, AD 27 yrs old, likely capped out with another "star"

21-22 no FRP in unless lotto, LBJ 37 yrs old with player option, AD 28 yrs old, likely still capped out unless some agreement can be made around LBJ or "3rd star" contract.

22-23 will have FRP, likely have 29 yr old AD plus another younger star and also have cap

23-24 probably won't have to swap picks as they should be better than Pelicans
24-25 no FRP

Last edited by Laker_Jocker on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Given the injuries to Durant and Klay, anything less than a championship is a colossal failure next season... even if injuries happen. The west is wide open now.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Soooooo.... What was the purpose of signing Jason Kidd as an assistant now that Zo is gone?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Soooooo.... What was the purpose of signing Jason Kidd as an assistant now that Zo is gone?

Bonga 💀

LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

He gonna start. We need s point guard. Or he can work on Bonga
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

very unlikely
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Given the injuries to Durant and Klay, anything less than a championship is a colossal failure next season... even if injuries happen. The west is wide open now.

if Kawhi stays in Toronto....next year is unlikely
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

Ya let’s lock the only post where the discussion is civil and logical.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Trade Logic and Reason Thread

RusselDoeee01 wrote:

2. Lakers couldn’t afford both Ball and Ingram to get another max player. These two are about to get paid very much, very soon. (There was nothing legally stopping Lakers from paying Ball and Ingram and signing a max player. It could have happened within the CBA very easily)

4. With this trade, Lakers have two easy avenues to a third star. Davis waive trade kicker, or lakers trade Bonga for cap relief. (Only way Lakers can sign a third star now is if the trade is only executed on July 30th. Pelicans would need to agree to this.)

5. 3 picks is a lot but the Lakers anticipate to be on top of the league, where the picks will fall very low in the draft. (We have no way of knowing what will happen in 2023, 2024 or 2025. Think about this, the Warriors are likely a lottery team next year. No one would have said that two weeks ago.)

Let correct this post.
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

We basically traded a #2 (Ingram), a #2 (Ball), a #30 (Hart), a #4 and two future FRP for AD. A #7 (Randle) and a #2 (Russell) for cap space that got us LeBron and possibly another max. All of our lottery picks in the past 6 years are gone. We better hang that banner this year!
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

gaogi wrote:
We basically traded a #2 (Ingram), a #2 (Ball), a #30 (Hart), a #4 and two future FRP for AD. A #7 (Randle) and a #2 (Russell) for cap space that got us LeBron and possibly another max. All of our lottery picks in the past 6 years are gone. We better hang that banner this year!

That’s what the lakers do!! We play for banners, not playoff births. Win some ships, reload and do it again.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Given the injuries to Durant and Klay, anything less than a championship is a colossal failure next season... .

I'd never go that far. You can't assume a championship.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

gaogi wrote:

If you gave me the choice of

Davis - Lebron - Walker or

Russell - Ball - Randle - Hart - Ingram plus three picks

I'll take the first trio in a second.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: