Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 856, 857, 858 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

chickenjoy24 wrote:
Terrible offensive stat line but still got 5 blocks. Great to have a 2-way player like AD.

Having 2 superstars is such a luxury, if one has a bad game, then the other superstar could make up the slack. The Warriors were super lucky to have Steph/KD/Klay for 3 years.

And Green at the back. Not so effective these days, but so very good when he was.

And Iguodala, the all star off the bench.
Artest4Three
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Still noticeably injured. Holding his ribs on some plays, very few rebounds, and a reluctance to drive.

He mentioned a couple of days ago his ribs were bothering him more than his shoulder atm.

Get well soon

He was stretching his shoulder too a couple of times during the game. I noticed it bothers him on certain plays.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject:

Artest4Three wrote:
drae wrote:
Still noticeably injured. Holding his ribs on some plays, very few rebounds, and a reluctance to drive.

He mentioned a couple of days ago his ribs were bothering him more than his shoulder atm.

Get well soon

He was stretching his shoulder too a couple of times during the game. I noticed it bothers him on certain plays.

On the positive side of things, this was such a beautiful pass from AD

https://twitter.com/UnwrittenRul3s/status/1196338901339607040
lakersboi1993
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject:

They should sit him for this week are at least till Saturday
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:

Seems like Vogel hasn't really put to work any specific plays to get AD free or at least make it easier for him to score or facilitate more. Not much P&R too. He's been covered by double teams the past few games though. I just wish we'd run more sets to take advantage of his game... unless whatever they've been doing is it already.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

lakersboi1993 wrote:
They should sit him for this week are at least till Saturday

Guy is completely not healthy... Let him rest that shoulder for a week at least. I think we can handle most of those teams.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

Officially concerned about AD.

Not about his ability to help us win games, but in his health and to a lesser degree, his role on the offensive end.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pregame Sunday Vogel said of AD's lower shot totals of late, "It’s something I have to do better at." When informed of FV's statement postgame, Davis said, "Hey man, we’re winning. I don’t really care about any of that. ... I’m not worried about shots, I’m worried about winning"

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1196342132224585728?s=21

Like both responses. Vogel seeing big picture and AD locked in to whatever it takes to win.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Yeah, a bit disturbing that AD is clearly not looking 100% out there.

But at the same time, love his attitude and he's still killing it on defense (and great passing).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

Have to understand that even if AD is not dominant on a consistent basis, he is the guy that complements Lebron. You need a player who the opposing defense is scheming and planning for, and you clearly see they are for AD. This is opening the game for our shooters, cutters and Lebron as well.

You never saw that with last year's group and Lebron. There was just no chemistry like that, where you could rely on someone to open up the game for Lebron and get shooters great open looks.

AD is just not looking great 1 on 1, but there are so many things his presence is doing for the team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping he's not getting comfortable taking a backseat to Lebron on the offensive end.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
I'm hoping he's not getting comfortable taking a backseat to Lebron on the offensive end.

I just think he's sort of cruising right now, and his ribs/shoulders are bothering him a bit but he wants to try to "tough it out." Not sure if proving how tough he is the best way, but I think that's what's going on.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

I think one of the things that we aren't looking at is this is probably the most true 4 (position wise) and halfcourt offense- AD has played in his career or at least since he established himself as a superstar.

The way we play is so different to how he played as a Pelican the last few years. The offense in New Orleans was a lot quicker, less big man/4 stuff, and more just play pace + space, use his guard skills. He has fallen in love with that game, and established those habits. Then, now he comes in, and Vogel is utilizing him like a true superstar 4, sort of like a modern day Tim Duncan role.

To really utilize AD's strengths at 4, we need someone like Rondo and LBJ throughout feeding him. When neither do, and we just dump it to AD or let him handle the ball, the results are mixed. We have to go away from that. We want AD to establish deep low post position, and then get him the ball there. We don't want him isolating or taking low percentage shots outside 1 on 1. Lebron still hasn't really figured out the timing of many of his lob entries or post passes to AD. Rondo had one really nice one yesterday to AD.

Overall, I do not think we should be worried about AD's offense from inside. We need to be worried that AD thinks he is a shooting guard, and a better Porzingis. Which sure he has the talent to be, but we want him thinking, get the higher percentage shot, closer to the basket. Two things. 1) We need our guards to get him the ball the moment he establishes that good post position. 2) We need AD to get the mentality that he wants to dominate inside. He uses his elite guard skills but closer to the basket. Get the catches there. Not so far out.

Still, to make it work, it makes a lot of sense to have AD out there where he is, in the Tim Duncan role. We have Dwight and McGee beasting inside. We have Lebron getting great driving lanes. This is because AD is both capable to be a stretch 4 and a post up 4. We just want him to understand that his bread and butter scoring wise needs to be inside, and the stretch 4 stuff is to keep the defense guessing what we're gonna do, and to have good spacing. Ironically, it seems that AD's highest value to the team is at 4, where he allows Dwight and McGee to dominate the glass/defense/inside finishes, and allows Lebron and the perimeter shooters to get more open looks from outside. Not to mention the defensive help he gives. I'd be interested to see what AD's numbers would look like if we went completely away from using him at 5, aside from the close out of 4th Q's. If we do that, I think he will be better and we will be better. I began to see a decline in his impact on O once Kuzma came back and we saw Frank use AD at the 5 much earlier in games. I do not think this is the right thing to do with AD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Pregame Sunday Vogel said of AD's lower shot totals of late, "It’s something I have to do better at." When informed of FV's statement postgame, Davis said, "Hey man, we’re winning. I don’t really care about any of that. ... I’m not worried about shots, I’m worried about winning"

Like both responses. Vogel seeing big picture and AD locked in to whatever it takes to win.

It's been kind of predictable once Vogel and his staff were hired. Lots of good defensive minds but no offensive guru. And lo and behold, we are having a hard time getting good looks for AD and for our shooters from 3.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

It's been kind of predictable once Vogel and his staff were hired. Lots of good defensive minds but no offensive guru. And lo and behold, we are having a hard time getting good looks for AD and for our shooters from 3.

Is that true?
I thought we were getting decent looks for shooters early on in the season. They seemed to just be missing. Re: looks for AD, you might be onto something. But it doesn't seem like it'll be a difficult fix
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Is that true?
I thought we were getting decent looks for shooters early on in the season. They seemed to just be missing. Re: looks for AD, you might be onto something. But it doesn't seem like it'll be a difficult fix

"Lakers are 28th in the three-point rate and 25th in three-point shooting percentage...25th in free throw rate— this is like the bizarro Rockets: low threes, low free throws, elite defense."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-lakers-have-a-championship-blueprint-with-two-superstars-and-an-elite-defense/ar-BBWTVfq
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

But at the same time, love his attitude and he's still killing it on defense (and great passing).

I’d like to see us get him more shots that aren’t iso post ups.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I’d like to see us get him more shots that aren’t iso post ups.

Yeah. He's such a versatile and skilled player that shouldn't be shoe horned into that play style.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

I mean, he can run the actions he did for an in prime-David West.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Stop the post dump and get him involved while moving the Ball
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

I don't like fact that AD's getting post touches with very little off-ball action. He's basically forced to lower his shoulder into a center most of the time, which is why he opts for the mid-range fadeaway. Similarly, that handoff into a side PnR isn't going to work well with Lebron, because teams will opt to switch that immediately since no one can come over from the weak side in time, and a switch off Lebron often means a strong wing that can push AD at a lower center of gravity.

Come playoff time, he'll look far more aggressive 1 on 1. But right now, they should be involving him in high PnR because he's an excellent short roll passer, and if the defense doesn't switch, it's going to be an alley-oop to McGee/Dwight or a corner 3 every time. He needs more space and runway.

Ironically, Lebron playing point has actually hurt his game I think, because now everyone throws their absolute best at guarding that. A lower profile pg like Rondo or Jrue wouldn't command a switch, which means it would be a far more prolific action. They also wouldn't have a wing guarding them.

The other thing with his low shot attempts have been teams throwing hard doubles at him immediately at the elbow/low post and forcing him to pass. I think he's been getting better at this with film work.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

I love AD, but have any of you noticed how bad his passing skills are? Thankfully we have enough players who can make the extra pass, that he can just focus on finishing.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
I love AD, but have any of you noticed how bad his passing skills are? Thankfully we have enough players who can make the extra pass, that he can just focus on finishing.

He's not bad, but after seeing a passing big like Pau, it's definitely not the same.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

There’s also a political aspect to all of this. Is AD happy to not be as featured? I think we have to ensure we are doing whatever it takes to keep him happy.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
There’s also a political aspect to all of this. Is AD happy to not be as featured? I think we have to ensure we are doing whatever it takes to keep him happy.

I dunno. In interviews, he seemed pretty excited when Bron told him they'd run the offense through him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 856, 857, 858 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 857 of 1427
Jump to: