Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 806, 807, 808 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i think AD is spending way too much time on the perimeter. i know it's just the preseason and i know he has excellent guard skills. but that's not what we got him for. he should be operate from foul line extended and down. occasionally he can shoot threes off of pick and pop on the perimeter, but not majority of his time on the court.

I agree. And he seems to always be very close to fumbling his dribble when he's trying to cross up a player from the perimeter. I'd like him to start his possessions closer to the hoop. I think his ISO bread & butter will be from 15 feet away or closer where once his jumpshot starts going in he can simply shoot over anyone and if they crowd too close take his man off the dribble
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i think AD is spending way too much time on the perimeter. i know it's just the preseason and i know he has excellent guard skills. but that's not what we got him for. he should be operate from foul line extended and down. occasionally he can shoot threes off of pick and pop on the perimeter, but not majority of his time on the court.

He's providing spacing because McGee and Howard are out there with him.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

good point
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1184715204803739649

Green knew that play was a done deal as soon as that pass went through to Davis.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

good point

Once Kuzma comes back I'd like to see Vogel get AD more minutes at C against small teams like the Warriors.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

I get nervous when he dives for lose balls or takes off on one foot around the rim with contact.

Stay safe AD.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

He is still light but is much stouter now than he was when he was an injury waiting to happen.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

AD looked dominant while on cruise control last night. He is gonna be in the MVP and DPOY discussion this year although LeBron would probably get the nod for MVP over him.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

One of my favorite things about AD is the pace he plays with. Never seems to overexert himself no matter how much work he's putting in.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

with AD's skillset and lack of passion to bang inside, it'd be perfect if he's 6'9'' instead of 7', he'd be a perfect two-way perimeter star the league is dying for nowadays.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I prefer his length and the fact that he looks like a gazelle out there on the floor.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

is the poor shooting stats due to the thumb?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Is it just me or is AD not a reliable shooter from the perimeter or midrange area?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Is it just me or is AD not a reliable shooter from the perimeter or midrange area?

If by that you're asking has his shot been off this preseason? Yes.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I blame MP
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I blame MP

that's not his shooting coach
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I blame MP

Is that really necessary, though?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

If AD continues to evolve as a playmaker and those assist numbers keep climbing, Lakers are going to be awfully tough.

2 playmakers at the size of Lebron and AD 👀
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

LBJ and AD are gravity creators.

KL is sort of that, but is a bit ISO dependent. PG isn't that IMO.

What made Steph and KD unguardable together is the amount of gravity they created.

Really loving AD's secondary playmaking with JAV. Big to big alley oops. Love it. Not many teams will be able to defend that.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LBJ and AD are gravity creators.

KL is sort of that, but is a bit ISO dependent. PG isn't that IMO.

What made Steph and KD unguardable together is the amount of gravity they created.

Really loving AD's secondary playmaking with JAV. Big to big alley oops. Love it. Not many teams will be able to defend that.

totally agreed, KL and PG13 won't make other players better. both are more of iso players.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

And I'd imagine that AD's playmaking will only improve under LeBron's tutelage. He'll be learning from one of the greats how he can manipulate double teams and the like even more effectively. That's scary.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

The other thread had me thinking about this.

One thing I don't like about AD is that he relies too much on tough shots. He reminds me of Porzingis in this way, and I had not seen enough of AD to know this. Before this preseason, most of what I had seen of AD had been when he played the Lakers or when his highlights.

To become truly dominant, AD has to be get closer to the basket on his shots, and also dribble a lot less. His shots need to be less where he is creating off the dribble, which often lead him to taking shots in the mid-range or long 2. Teams will not let a 7 guy like that drive into the paint off the dribble in the playoffs. We have to establish a few things with AD for the playoffs.

1) A clear way he gets the ball that is closer to the basket. From there he can use his elite handles to get a good shot. I know the era is against the post game, but AD is dominant talent wise, his skills will translate in the paint. If he catches the ball in the mid-range and then gets his shot off in the paint or close to the basket, that is what you want.

2) AD has to be a willing 3 point shooter. He has to be comfortable on catch and shoots. Again and again.

3) AD has to set harder picks, and really roll hard. I have not seen him do this, and he will be closing many games at 5, where he needs to do a lot of this.

AD to me is trying to become more and more of a guard, when what we should be trying to get him to be is someone that understands what his guard skills can do for him. It can get him the best shots, close to the rim. We do not want him using his guard skills where he catches the ball outside the 3 point line, does a few dribbles and then takes a bad long contested 2.

This stuff won't really show in the RS, but come playoffs, that's when it will become critical how AD uses his guard skills. When AD catches the ball beyond the 3 point line or for a long 2, it should be 1) to hand off to a guard/Lebron to contnue to run the offense 2) look for an open shooter/big man at the basket or 3) if wide open at the 3 point line, to take that open catch and shoot 3 (without hesitation). What I don't want AD doing or developing a habit of is taking those contested tough shots around there after he does a few fancy dribbles and guard skills. His guard skills need to start from mid-range and in. Through a direct drop iso feed. Or when he is on the move, a guard gets him the ball and then while on the move he catches and uses his handles to get to the basket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
And I'd imagine that AD's playmaking will only improve under LeBron's tutelage. He'll be learning from one of the greats how he can manipulate double teams and the like even more effectively. That's scary.

And they have shooters around them.

Imagine a lineup where it's Cook/Daniels/Green/LBJ/AD. That's spacing. Gravity. Shooters galore for example.

Last year? It was a given that we could not stretch the floor at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The other thread had me thinking about this.

One thing I don't like about AD is that he relies too much on tough shots. He reminds me of Porzingis in this way, and I had not seen enough of AD to know this. Before this preseason, most of what I had seen of AD had been when he played the Lakers or when his highlights.

To become truly dominant, AD has to be get closer to the basket on his shots, and also dribble a lot less. His shots need to be less where he is creating off the dribble, which often lead him to taking shots in the mid-range or long 2. Teams will not let a 7 guy like that drive into the paint off the dribble in the playoffs. We have to establish a few things with AD for the playoffs.

1) A clear way he gets the ball that is closer to the basket. From there he can use his elite handles to get a good shot. I know the era is against the post game, but AD is dominant talent wise, his skills will translate in the paint. If he catches the ball in the mid-range and then gets his shot off in the paint or close to the basket, that is what you want.

2) AD has to be a willing 3 point shooter. He has to be comfortable on catch and shoots. Again and again.

3) AD has to set harder picks, and really roll hard. I have not seen him do this, and he will be closing many games at 5, where he needs to do a lot of this.

AD to me is trying to become more and more of a guard, when what we should be trying to get him to be is someone that understands what his guard skills can do for him. It can get him the best shots, close to the rim. We do not want him using his guard skills where he catches the ball outside the 3 point line, does a few dribbles and then takes a bad long contested 2.

This stuff won't really show in the RS, but come playoffs, that's when it will become critical how AD uses his guard skills. When AD catches the ball beyond the 3 point line or for a long 2, it should be 1) to hand off to a guard/Lebron to contnue to run the offense 2) look for an open shooter/big man at the basket or 3) if wide open at the 3 point line, to take that open catch and shoot 3 (without hesitation). What I don't want AD doing or developing a habit of is taking those contested tough shots around there after he does a few fancy dribbles and guard skills. His guard skills need to start from mid-range and in. Through a direct drop iso feed. Or when he is on the move, a guard gets him the ball and then while on the move he catches and uses his handles to get to the basket.

He's put up 30/13/2.5 bpg in 13 playoff games. I think having someone like LBJ will make his life so much easier.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Judah wrote:

And they have shooters around them.

Imagine a lineup where it's Cook/Daniels/Green/LBJ/AD. That's spacing. Gravity. Shooters galore for example.

Last year? It was a given that we could not stretch the floor at all.

I've thought about that very lineup. I don't know how you defend it. Two top 5 players surrounded by bonafide snipers. Oh man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 806, 807, 808 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 807 of 1425
Jump to: