Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 1431, 1432, 1433  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

It is silly because if you saw him play late in the season and on the playoff series against the Clippers then you would realize that he was really good. Good enough to consider him as being about 80% of his old self (and as it is known that given more time he would be getting even better as i read in 1xbet. But he hurt his quad and not his rehabbed ankle so the ankle injury would not be a concern only the squad. Now he says he is 100% healthy from the quad and the ankle. At worst he will be 80% of what he used to be.

Last edited by Peppe89 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Winning a title is all most Lakers fans care about tbh.. Last thing I want is a team that's really good but everyone knows they probably will never win a championship (Besides you and a few other Rocket fans of course). The current Rocket Harden era reminds me a lot of the Suns of the earlier 2000's, really great regular season team with a Hall Of Famer but there's usually always at least a team or two that is better so congrats on that I guess if you count that as a victory. I'm sure Harden will give you at least a few more great regular seasons where he once again fails to advance in the playoffs. But hey, he made those Playoffs every year so you can always be proud of that!

You seem to be taking my comments way out of context. I was responding to a post excusing Davis for not winning more because of his supporting casts. In regards to his failure to show he can be a primary player in his 7 year career, you don’t need a bunch of help to routinely win 35 games or more. I’m sure Davis can help you win a title (see Gasol). He won’t be relied on to be the primary guy with LeBron here. But all the excuses about him not having enough help in NO....how much help do you need to routinely win half your games? 35 games? Etc.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
hype wrote:
Winning a title is all most Lakers fans care about tbh.. Last thing I want is a team that's really good but everyone knows they probably will never win a championship (Besides you and a few other Rocket fans of course). The current Rocket Harden era reminds me a lot of the Suns of the earlier 2000's, really great regular season team with a Hall Of Famer but there's usually always at least a team or two that is better so congrats on that I guess if you count that as a victory. I'm sure Harden will give you at least a few more great regular seasons where he once again fails to advance in the playoffs. But hey, he made those Playoffs every year so you can always be proud of that!

You seem to be taking my comments way out of context. I was responding to a post excusing Davis for not winning more because of his supporting casts. In regards to his failure to show he can be a primary player in his 7 year career, you don’t need a bunch of help to routinely win 35 games or more. I’m sure Davis can help you win a title (see Gasol). He won’t be relied on to be the primary guy with LeBron here. But all the excuses about him not having enough help in NO....how much help do you need to routinely win half your games? 35 games? Etc.

Do you think Davis can be the best player in a couple years? I feel like it's a bit premature to say how much a failure he was as the #1 guy seeing as how he's still 26.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I come to this thread to talk about Harden and the Rox! Right guys?

The convo is about Davis and his inability to lead teams to wins. Harden and others are just examples of other players that could win games when not surrounded by a lot of talent.

When was Harden ever not surrounded by talent?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Judah wrote:
PostMalone24 wrote:
I hope he bolts be another major headache,
We need to rebuild through the draft

This is wild for a number of reasons, but chief among them is that the Lakers were in the lottery the last six years, got the second pick three times during those six years, and still didn't draft a superstar level player. Then you throw in all of the failed trades and free agent pursuits for said superstars, and somehow, all of that didn't teach you just how hard it is to land a superstar? You really wanna relive another six years of the blackhole we've been stuck in right as we're on the cusp of getting out of it? That's nuts.

The Pelicans will be the ultimate test for "build through the draft" folks. They have our #2 picks and they have arguably the biggest draft pick since Lebron, in Zion. My guess is they will be 01' Clippers, exciting to watch, win 39 games, but ultimately go nowhere.

Zion should do Darius Miles' two fisted knucklebump on his forehead after good plays. We're the ultimate example of getting screwed by pong balls every year. We go up 2 and NY gets Porzingis at 4, to put extra emphasis on our draft shame. The fact that they gave him away in Knicks style is irrelevant.
Thug24Life8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LALeBron23/status/1150503809438932993

I feel like he’s genuinely excited to be a Laker. I sense he’s going to be a Laker great.
"Kobe is a scientific dawg," O'Neal wrote. "He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs. Kobe will always have the edge because of his range and killer instinct."
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Thug24Life8 wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/LALeBron23/status/1150503809438932993

I feel like he’s genuinely excited to be a Laker. I sense he’s going to be a Laker great.

He is not like some players who doesn't like attention. He is enjoying LA and you can see that easily.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
hype wrote:

How many big guys in today's league lead teams to the playoffs with the help AD had? Did he ever have a second all-star playing with him? He's made the playoffs, right. He's had a number of teams filled with good players and some role players. Some not so good teams. He also plays in the West. I don't think you're really seeing it fairly.

Giannis, for example. He's not even a big guy. He can control the game because he can get the ball way out and just take over. AD has to be fed the ball, and is not a wing/guard. However even Giannis, it took a new coach, an elite coach like Buldenhozer and some great shooting, floor spacing, some really good role players to get it done. Even then, come playoffs, Giannis didn't get it done.

How many bigs lead teams to playoffs these days? The game is changed. You don't have the era anymore where a point guard is going to bring the ball up, and just dump it to the big guy and the big guy's game dictates the pace of the game. It is not how basketball is played anymore. It's an era where Jrue Holiday controlled the pace of the Pelicans game, and how they were played. It was not always AD. AD got elite freakish numbers despite being unable to be in control of the game. What you needed with AD, just like you need with any elite talented big, is a great guard or wing that can facilitate him and also control the tempo of the game to his team's benefit. Jrue is a damn good player, but he is not of that level. You're acting as if AD failed to do something with Chris Paul in his prime, or an all-star guard. AD has never had that kind of talent around him.

Some people will say Jokic. Well look at his team - and look how they play off him, and use him as a point center. This is why he can do that, because the ball runs through Jokic and he becomes a point Center in that offense. Not many teams play that way. Here's a few guys that are elite talent as big guys

AD
Embiid (when healthy)
Porzingis (when healthy)
Jokic

I may be forgetting a guy or two, but that's off the tup of my head. Unless you can get these guys a great all-star guard, it is impossible for them to lead their teams to playoff success or even in the playoffs year in year out. Basketball has completely changed right now in the NBA. The guards control everything. Guards no longer facilitate bigs, bigs facilitate guards to go off and do everything. You as a Rockets fan would know this.

However that does not negate that AD is a capable 27-30 points a night scorer and one of the best scorers in the league. He is a dominant player. I loved Pau, and I think of him as a Laker great and a HOF'er. However he never was the scorer AD is. AD is one of the best scoring bigs you have seen in the league in a long time. AD has had seasons of 28 ppg, 28.1 ppg, and last year he was on pace to have another season like that if not for minute reduction. You simply don't have many basketball players who play AD's position who can do that, in the history of basketball. He is in very very unique company. He's a dominant scoring bigman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

AD goes from a #1 to a #2. I think he is going to flourish in that role.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

I think he will be our team's leading scorer. I think it's more 1B simply b/c LBJ will be running the offense.

I can see an uptick in LBJ's assist numbers with all the shooters around him (he averaged 7 apg with all the non-shooting ball pounding guys we had last season).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

LeBron won't have to score as much, freeing him to do everything else: rebounding, running fast breaks, setting up team mates.

He's gonna have a lot of triple-doubles this year.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

I forgot which podcast I was listening to but one of the guys was talking to Draymond Green at an all star game where he wasn’t going to be voted DPOY of the year for whatever reason that year. That person asked him who’s the best defensive player in the game. He said AD and it’s not even close.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

That is the role he should be playing. He had some of his most successful seasons when Jrue was healthy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

That is the role he should be playing. He had some of his most successful seasons when Jrue was healthy.

And Jrue isn't a #1 either. Most likely a #3 on a championship team.

Now, give AD a #1A like LBJ and he slides in perfectly as a 1B scorer.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/antdavis23/

AD at the Mamba Sports Academy. Loving the AD chants, kids.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

*“Boogie and the Brow”
Anthony Davis explains why he wanted to play with DeMarcus Cousins again

Anthony Davis is ready to bring the “Boogie and the Brow” show to Los Angeles.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/20/20701711/lakers-news-demarcus-cousins-anthony-davis-relationship-pelicans-interview

* Could Anthony Davis someday play for hometown Bulls? “I’d definitely consider it”

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/07/21/could-anthony-davis-someday-play-for-hometown-bulls-id-definitely-consider-it/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

James Worthy: Anthony Davis is the modern day Hakeem Olajuwon

scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Peppe89 wrote:
It is silly because if you saw him play late in the season and on the playoff series against the Clippers then you would realize that he was really good. Good enough to consider him as being about 80% of his old self (and as it is known that given more time he would be getting even better as i read in sports forecats today. But he hurt his quad and not his rehabbed ankle so the ankle injury would not be a concern only the squad. Now he says he is 100% healthy from the quad and the ankle. At worst he will be 80% of what he used to be.
I would seriously consider getting the 5-8 spot in the west but making sure all these guys are healthy by the playoffs.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

AD is going to win MVP this year. The guy was averaging 29/13/3 blocks just prior to his trade request, for a team he didn't want to be on anymore. Just imagine what he'll play will look like on a team he actually wants to play for?

Not only that, but the last time we got a big of his caliber(Gasol), that same year we went to the finals then ended up winning back to back championships. Gasol in his prime still isn't nearly as good as AD.

Gasol was also considered an empty stats player until he actually got traded to a winning team.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

His Chicago reply sounded like the L.A. reply that PG gave in his 3 part ESPN FA series a year ago.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
AD is going to win MVP this year. The guy was averaging 29/13/3 blocks just prior to his trade request, for a team he didn't want to be on anymore. Just imagine what he'll play will look like on a team he actually wants to play for?

Not only that, but the last time we got a big of his caliber(Gasol), that same year we went to the finals then ended up winning back to back championships. Gasol in his prime still isn't nearly as good as AD.

Gasol was also considered an empty stats player until he actually got traded to a winning team.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
His Chicago reply sounded like the L.A. reply that PG gave in his 3 part ESPN FA series a year ago.

Completely agree.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I come to this thread to talk about Harden and the Rox! Right guys?

The convo is about Davis and his inability to lead teams to wins. Harden and others are just examples of other players that could win games when not surrounded by a lot of talent.

When was Harden ever not surrounded by talent?

His first season in Houston, when he had Lin, Parsons, Asik, etc. No training camp. Still 45 wins.

The year Howard missed half the season, Beverly missed 26 games and his PFs missed significant time. Still the #2 seed.

When Howard left there was no star on the team. Still 55 wins.

Last year we were still winning games with him despite all the injuries too.

One superstar shouldn’t need significant help to win 35 games routinely.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

lordtrapula wrote:
Do you think Davis can be the best player in a couple years? I feel like it's a bit premature to say how much a failure he was as the #1 guy seeing as how he's still 26.

This is year 8 despite the age. Rare to see a guy morph like that nearly a decade in. Billups is would likely be the best example?

Last edited by Dreamshake on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

How many big guys in today's league lead teams to the playoffs with the help AD had?

Playoffs? That’s a high mark for him. I’m talking about a track record that shows you can rarely win half your games, much less 35 of them. I think the following bigs could have routinely won half their games with the supporting casts he had:

Embid
Jokic
KAT
Giannis
Aldridge

And I don’t there are many great bigs today, and I think Davis is better than some of the guys listed above. I think Davis is great, but the chatter I’m responding to is top 5-10 great. If you are that great you shouldn’t need a ton of help to win half your games, 35 games, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 775, 776, 777 ... 1431, 1432, 1433  Next
Page 776 of 1433
Jump to: