Roland-Garros/French Open
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Roland-Garros/French Open

It's my first day tuning in. Serena Williams #10 playing Vitalia Diatchenko #731. It's a cake walk. 6 2, 6 1, 6 0. Serena's not drawing the crowds she use to. It can't be because of time, it's 7:20 pm in Paris. Serena looks like she's lost some weight. She addressed the crowd speaking fluent French after the match.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

I'll watch the later rounds, and I want Fed to win. Nadal given a joke of a draw, as usual.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Yep. There's an official tennis thread here now, so I'm sure there will be some discussion there.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Watched Serena. She's definitely looks in better shape than she did at the Aussie. Still not expecting a ton from her this tourney. I'm looking at her shot coming at Wimbledon, if she can stay healthy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Naomi doing a Serena. Lost the first set 6 0. Looked like she was going home in the 1st round. She came back like the #1 should. #1 Naomi Osaka bested #90 Anna Schmiedlova 0 6, 7 6, 6 1. If there's a Serena vs Naomi rematch it may be something to watch. Has the baton been passed?

I'm pulling for Monfils. He got out of the 1st round. I hope he gets further than the 2nd. #17 Gael Monfils defeated #103 Toro Daniel 6 0, 6 4, 6 1.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

On the men's side, I'd like a semi appearance from Zverev. He's supposed to have next and has yet to do anything in majors. A four-hour, 5-setter in the first round is not a good way to start it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna do something that will accomplish a two fold mission. It'll test the alarm on my clock and wake me to watch early matches if I do it right. I haven't had cause to use it for so many years I don't know if it works. I'm gonna set it for 2:00 am. I want to watch some early matches.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Glad Osaka came back. Even if she's not going to win, good to get some French matches under her belt for the future. Saw some of Serena's match. The camera loves Diatchenko. Really glad Serena came back. Kind of odd feeling for her. She's not a favorite to win it, but you wouldn't be shocked if she did. But she hasn't really done anything Serena-ish since becoming a mom, too, so hard to evaluate if she can still dominate, or even win. I'm not sure she's won any kind of tournament since she came back last year. I think all the men contenders have won fairly easily.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject:

As opposed to what, the Wimbledon French open?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Caught Sloane Stephens this morning. Easy first set, struggled to win second. #7 Sloane Stephens won over #75 S. Sorribes Tormo 6 1, 7 6.

#3 Roger Federer had a easy time with #126 Oscar Otte 6 4, 6 3, 6 4.

One of my favorites #82 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga lost to #7 Kei Nishikori 4 6, 6 4, 6 4, 6 4.

By the Bye; Clock didn't go off. I just happened to be woke watching a old western Union Pacific staring Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Preston, Joel McCrea.

EDIT; It's 2:00 pm PT in Los Angeles. My alarm clock just scared the hell out of me, it went off. I had it set pm rather am. I reset it for am. Guess I won't need Union Pacific to get me to the French Open tomorrow morning.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

#10 Serena Williams easy win over #98 Kurumi Nara 6 3, 6 2.

Osaka makes things difficult for herself. She doesn't seem to get going until she's pushed.
#1 Naomi Osaka worked to get a win over former #1 now #43 Victoria Azarenka 4 6, 7 5, 6 3.

Joker sailed to a win #1 Novak Djokovic win over #104 Henri Laaksonen 6 1, 6 4, 6 3.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

Federer having a easy time with Ruud. So far 6 1, 6 3. Do I detect a British accent from the commentators?

Query: Commercials are very low volume, barely audible. Is this just my carrier DTV or is it the program?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka LINK

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

Serena and Osaka are out! Curious to see which favored guy from the men's side falls first. I would guess Federer.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Serena and Osaka are out! Curious to see which favored guy from the men's side falls first. I would guess Federer.

Wouldn't surprise me. Roger is a bit long in tooth, 37.

Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised at all by Serena or Osaka. Those slow start were bound to catch up to both of them. I think osaka's is mental and Serena physical. Little stunned to see Pliskova get handled so easily, though. Pulling for Keys the rest of way, but she's not versatile enough to pull this out.

Not a whole lot of intrigue on men's side yet.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Shaping up to be a great second week on both sides. Osaka sounds like she can use a break. Pressure getting to her a bit. Serena...she might be done winning Slams. She hasn't won any tournament since she came back. I would be not at all surprised if she gets rejuvenated and wins 5 more, because of her being her, but losing the way she did and has, plus missing lots of tournaments doesn't look good. She is always most happy on grass, so that should turn her around. If she doesn't win there, that's trouble. Pretty wide open on women's side.

Some great looking men's matches coming up next round. I feel like something unusual is going to happen this second week, like Fed or Del Potro or Stan winning it all, Djokovic going down to Thiem or Zverev or Fognini or Monfils or Del Potro, Stan beating Federer, Monfils getting to the final, or Thiem beating nadal after maybe beating Djokovic. But probably Nadal just destroys everybody in his path. 89-2 all time. That's insane. And he looks great so far.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject:

Serena has a really hard time moving to her left now. Add in the general downturn in one's play at this age, and I think it's going to be very difficult for her to win 7 times in a row at an event, which is what it takes to win a Slam. She still has the flashes of talent and it wouldn't shock me if she made one or two last serious runs at a major, but I think we've seen the virtual end of her dominance.

She still has a huge first serve, but when the ball is in play, there's just a huge difference now. Less movement and more errors. Not a good combination.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

This is a trick question since Federer's not really favored.

Quote:
Rafael Nadal - 8/11 (58%)
Novak Djokovic - 3/1 (25%)
Dominic Thiem - 12/1 (8%)
Roger Federer - 20/1 (5%)
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

I did not mean favored by odds, but, rather, favored by the fans. Should have clarified. Either way, he's got top 4 odds on the entire field. However, Thiem's odds seem a bit low given his recent play. Of course, Nadal is always a big favorite at RG.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

Never count The Joker out. If he keeps his composure he's as good as there is in the game.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Fed vs. Nadal on Friday! Hoping for Fed to win, but Nadal usually dominates their match-up on clay. Roger will find it almost impossible to beat a healthy Nadal at RG (as he has seen in the past).
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

Weather conditions at RG are nuts today. 40mph winds for the Djokovic/Thiem SF. Stadium is practically empty for their match.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Weather conditions at RG are nuts today. 40mph winds for the Djokovic/Thiem SF. Stadium is practically empty for their match.

Seems as though the French is affected by winds and weather often. It's the only grand slam to not have at least one stadium with a retractable roof. That's being remedied. Next year they'll have a retractable roof on Philippe Chatrier Court, the main court.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Nadal easily beat Federer.

Nice run by Roger though. Incredible at his age he went to French Semi's after 4 years of no clay.

I can't think of any other player that can do what RF does.
It's not even a competition of who the GOAT is.

And Rafa, there's no question he is the most dominant clay court player ever. He deserves it, he's such a warrior and knows how to use his topspin to his advantage better than anyone I've ever seen. Many players can hit topspin now. RPMs on forehands are up to close to 4000. Jack Sock. Stefanos. Many of these guys hit topspin and heavy. It's the trajectories and the sort of geometric way Nadal uses the topspin for his advantage is what's amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: