Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: It was Magic not Rob

Lakers are better off now. I think after everything -- we see that Magic wasn't doing a good job and Rob is okay.
Ever since Magic has been out, less things has leaked to the media.

Magic ultimate plan was bringing 2 superstars, instead of building a team. I believe Rob is more clinical and thoughtful when it comes team building.

Magic is the one that wanted "tough-minded" players like Beasley, Rondo, Mcgee citing "you can't outscore the warriors" instead of getting shooters

He's the one orchestrating trading the entire team for AD, given he had to fly in and tell the players "youre' not babies." During that process we heard reports team were simply talking to Magic

Magic wasn't around much prioritizing the job as POBO - which I dont blame him given all his other businesses.

Though Rob got heat during the 1st week, things have died down and some reports that people in the league respect him. He is described at meticulous and a tough worker.

Zo and Brons reaction to Magic stepping down when they discussed it on the SHOP was telling

I'm all for moving forward with Rob and Lue, keeping Zo, Kuz, Lebron, BI and adding another guy.

Last edited by BlackStarMamba on Mon May 06, 2019 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

Magic the executive is/was one of the problems.

The jury is still out on GM and the owner. The pressure is directly on them, no more Magic to blame.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

So everything bad was Magic but you are all for moving forward using Magic’s plan?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

I'd use a lot of words to describe how this coaching search was handled but "thoughtful" and "clinical" aren't on the list.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: It was Magic not Rob

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Lakers are better off now. I think after everything -- we see that Magic wasn't doing a good job and Rob is okay.

Magic ultimate plan was bringing 2 superstars, instead of building a team. I believe Rob is more clinical and thoughtful when it comes team building.

Magic is the one that wanted "tough-minded" players like Beasley, Rondo, Mcgee citing "you can't outscore the warriors" instead of getting shooters

He's the one orchestrating trading the entire team for AD, given he had to fly in and tell the players "youre' not babies." During that process we heard reports team were simply talking to Magic

Magic wasn't around much prioritizing the job as POBO - which I dont blame him given all his other businesses.

Though Rob got heat during the 1st week, things have died down and some reports that people in the league respect him. He is described at meticulous and a tough worker.

Zo and Brons reaction to Magic stepping down when they discussed it on the SHOP was telling

I'm all for moving forward with Rob and Lue, keeping Zo, Kuz, Lebron, BI and adding another guy.

I have no idea what role Rob played in Magic's plan and execution of that plan, and I don't see a need to pretend he was out of the country while it all happened just to give him a pass and feel better.

As of now, he's the guy in charge, so he'll be judged on what happens from this point forward. So far, he hasn't done anything, so I can't be positive or negative about him.

But sure: "Rah! Rah! Go team!"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

All I know is that Rob Pelinka would win the Hunger Games.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So everything bad was Magic but you are all for moving forward using Magic’s plan?

Pretty sure "Magic's plan" is the same "plan" literally any and every person would assume the Lakers would try to pull off.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Pretty sure "Magic's plan" is the same "plan" literally any and every person would assume the Lakers would try to pull off.

Was never my desired plan.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: It was Magic not Rob

activeverb wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

I have no idea what role Rob played in Magic's plan and execution of that plan, and I don't see a need to pretend he was out of the country while it all happened just to give him a pass and feel better.

As of now, he's the guy in charge, so he'll be judged on what happens from this point forward. So far, he hasn't done anything, so I can't be positive or negative about him.

But sure: "Rah! Rah! Go team!"

But isn't Linda the one in charge...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Come free agency time this summer, we'll see, OP.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

Magic was at the front of explaining most of the decisions, including Dlo trade, not getting shooters, the AD trade. So i say most of it was his idea. Rob mostly discussed have "cap flexibility" Magic was always on the "imma get another superstar, Ha Ha Ha" approach
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You are incorrect
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The endgame may be the same, but the means not so much.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: It was Magic not Rob

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Who cares.

Magic is still very involved with the Lakers. Maybe it's time to move on.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

Maybe nothing has leaked because it's the offseason and nothing noteworthy is going on?

Still, we've heard leaks about Linda shadowgate and coaching interviews.

Amazing how hated Magic has become around here. Die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

How is it Magic’s plan? Jim and Mitch had the same plan to get two stars. I’m not sure how that’s an original idea that you can tie it to magic.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
All I know is that Rob Pelinka would win the Hunger Games.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

How is it Magic’s plan? Jim and Mitch had the same plan to get two stars. I’m not sure how that’s an original idea that you can tie it to magic.

And they realized that plan wasn’t feasible and adjusted their focus and decided to try to build a team instead. They wasted 2-3 years and now this FO has wasted a couple of more. Still with no team.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon May 06, 2019 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Ah, so now we have Earvin "Scapegoat" Johnson. Everything bad was 100% on him, but now we have the Pros from Dover in charge.
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You are incorrect

Oh, the irony is thick!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And they realized that plan wasn’t feasible and adjusted their focus and decided to try to build a team instead. They wasted 2-3 years and now this FO has wasted a couple of more. Still with no team.

I didn’t realize free agency passed already. Damn we struck out again?

You can argue Mitch and Jim failures was due to Jeanie and Ramona’s fat throat ass bad mouthing the front office that lead to Free agents passing on the Lakers. But anyway we have a star in place with young talent and cap. I’ll wait til this summer to say if it failed or not. Magic didn’t help us with his (bleep) though
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

I definitely had a bad feeling when Magic announced that he was flying to Philly to speak with the team. They just had an emotional win over Boston and it seemed like it was mostly behind them. Then after Magic's pep talk it completely unraveled. That was poor judgement on his part.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They realized their plan wasn't feasible so they went and signed the two worst contracts in Lakers history? Is that the model you want Rob to follow?

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Mon May 06, 2019 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Magic was at the front of explaining most of the decisions, including Dlo trade, not getting shooters, the AD trade. So i say most of it was his idea. Rob mostly discussed have "cap flexibility" Magic was always on the "imma get another superstar, Ha Ha Ha" approach

Listening to Magic speak about the whole process he was always saying I, me, and my. I built this team, I watched the playoffs etc. It was very off putting in real time and it rubbed me the wrong way. So yes I will attribute the majority of the blame to him.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: