Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports.

Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments

Oh, come on.

?

Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports. Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments.

My reaction: Oh, come on.

I'm trying to understand your reaction and what you are reacting to, because neither is clear... hence the question mark. It's still not clear btw.

No problem. Usually I stop after one explanation. Not that important to try and further explain.

Why don't you believe him? Magic is/was a personal hero of mine and the same would be true if I got to work with him in any capacity.

Cool.

And if he didn't come into the office for 2 years and you made a big stink about it to everyone, would you still consider that the greatest sports memories of your life?

And if he quit because he found out you were trashing his work ethics, would that make you sad and disheartened?

Rob and Magic were pretty inseparable when they first started this gig. Preaching bf% and excellence and all that bs...

My point is I think it was this past year when Magic stopped showing up so much. Especially when the moves he was making were crashing and burning. (Do you know we need around Lebron? Play makers is it? Good one Magic!!!)

But ya, in that first year they spoke multiple times a day, worked out together, and probably shared some cool moments. Certainly plausible that Rob, being a fan of his, appreciates that time with him.

I applaud the way Rob is handling the situation - can't be easy having your name drug through the mud by people that want to control the narrative.

1) Well, it's either true or it's not true. If what Magic's saying is true, then there's no dragging anyone's name through the mud. Magic's just being honest.

2) If Rob's greatest memories in sports are getting to work out with Magic, then I don't know what to say. You make him seem like a groupie.

But if those are in fact his greatest memories, it doesn't add up that Pelinka would constantly trash Magic like that. I mean, Magic said he heard it internally, then he heard it externally. So, it's like Pelinka was telling everyone how Magic doesn't come to work.

Maybe if Magic was at work he wouldn't have heard it at all.

True, which still doesn't explain how these last 2 years were some of the greatest memories Rob's ever had in his life....

Did he have great memories of Magic not coming to work?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports.

Oh, come on.

?

Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports. Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments.

I'm trying to understand your reaction and what you are reacting to, because neither is clear... hence the question mark. It's still not clear btw.

No problem. Usually I stop after one explanation. Not that important to try and further explain.

Why don't you believe him? Magic is/was a personal hero of mine and the same would be true if I got to work with him in any capacity.

Cool.

And if he didn't come into the office for 2 years and you made a big stink about it to everyone, would you still consider that the greatest sports memories of your life?

And if he quit because he found out you were trashing his work ethics, would that make you sad and disheartened?

Rob and Magic were pretty inseparable when they first started this gig. Preaching bf% and excellence and all that bs...

My point is I think it was this past year when Magic stopped showing up so much. Especially when the moves he was making were crashing and burning. (Do you know we need around Lebron? Play makers is it? Good one Magic!!!)

But ya, in that first year they spoke multiple times a day, worked out together, and probably shared some cool moments. Certainly plausible that Rob, being a fan of his, appreciates that time with him.

I applaud the way Rob is handling the situation - can't be easy having your name drug through the mud by people that want to control the narrative.

1) Well, it's either true or it's not true. If what Magic's saying is true, then there's no dragging anyone's name through the mud. Magic's just being honest.

2) If Rob's greatest memories in sports are getting to work out with Magic, then I don't know what to say. You make him seem like a groupie.

But if those are in fact his greatest memories, it doesn't add up that Pelinka would constantly trash Magic like that. I mean, Magic said he heard it internally, then he heard it externally. So, it's like Pelinka was telling everyone how Magic doesn't come to work.

True, which still doesn't explain how these last 2 years were some of the greatest memories Rob's ever had in his life....

Who cares? Well besides you. Lol
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Kava wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Oh, come on.

?

Cool.

Who cares? Well besides you. Lol

At least he validates the point of the thread. Think of how hard he has to reach. The response was obviously just him taking the high road, exaggerating his time with Magic, and trying to move on. It's not about him, it was a conference announcing Vogel. Imagine nitpicking "ACKSHUALLY WE DIDN'T CREATE THE POSITION" / "OMGEE HE THINKS THE LAST 2 YEARS WERE HIS BEST BASKETBALL MEMORIEZZ???" lmao
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Neutral on Rob, Magic was so bad that I'm giving him a pass.
noobie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Because Jerry West should be our GM instead of Pelinka. I'd even settle for Mitch Kupchak. Rob is in because of his ties with Kobe not because he's the most qualified. He may turn out to be good at this but why not hand the keys over to Jerry West?
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
Probably because he's a GM that everyone in the league despises and the only reason he has a job here is because dimwit Jeanie can't say no to Kobe.

Agree 100%
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Vogel must be sitting there thinking WTF did I get myself into.

It's concerning we are potentially going to waste another year of Lebron to find out if Pelinka can do the job. If you have a player like Lebron you don't mess around. You go for someone who has has a proven track record of success in the position. You don't experiment with an unknown commodity.

I hope Pelinka can do it. It won't even take a season to know. We are going to have a good idea before the season starts when we see what he does with the cap space.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject:

noobie wrote:
Because Jerry West should be our GM instead of Pelinka. I'd even settle for Mitch Kupchak. Rob is in because of his ties with Kobe not because he's the most qualified. He may turn out to be good at this but why not hand the keys over to Jerry West?

Because Jerry West is... 80 years old... and... doesn't want to be a GM...??

Even at the Clippers, he is not present as part of their daily operations and drops in from time to time.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
noobie wrote:

Even at the Clippers, he is not present as part of their daily operations and drops in from time to time.

... and just recently agreed to come another year.

possibly his last in consulting any FO.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
noobie wrote:

... and just recently agreed to come another year.

Not as a GM, though
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

its becoming obvious that Magic was the drama queen in all this mess leaking things to the media. Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization. I'm sure Rob complained to Jeanie about Magic working part time, but hey this is all Jeanie's fault that approved this part time work for her most important position in the front office.

That simply wasn't the position for Magic he should have been brought in as advisor, kind of like Jerry West was with GS and is with the Clippers. So while I'm upset with Magic's little tirade yesterday, I place all the blame on Jeanie.

I see Rob as a hard working, no bs guy, I think Kirt Rambis as advisor is not a bad idea. We have to wait and see how things go.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

I am certainly willing to give him a chance.

I think they had too many voices involved before, maybe Rob running it himself will work better.

This summer and the results of his work on the court next season will be the barometer for me to judge him by.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

I don’t like Rob but I think he could do a good job with his new power. Wanting an honest, upfront, genuine GM is like wanting a boxer who doesn’t like to fight. Be honest with the coaches and open to their POVs. Be as honest as you can to the players. And lie your ass off to the media. He plays the game which is more than we can say about Magic, Jim, or Mitch(although he was a very good GM in his weird Mitch way).
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Magic is a drama queen. This guy is so about himself that he could never shut up and was fined constantly for tampering because he wanted the world to know about his plans. Now, he comes on again to throw everyone under the bus and screw the Lakers chances even more recruiting free agents. If he loves Jeanie as he stated, why continue his efforts to absolve himself through the media? And why on the same day the Lakers were going to introduce their new head coach.

I think Magic said it perfectly when he was asked why he didn't contact Jeanie and Lebron to which his response was he had to do what made HIM happy. This is all about Magic and his happiness. He never thought of anyone else and he continues to do the same dragging this on in the Media. He's a media whore and loves the attention. I'm glad he's done in the front office, not like he was doing anything other than running his mouth anyways.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

So according to the OP Pelinka did nothing here. And wonders why people aren’t impressed.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So according to the OP Pelinka did nothing here. And wonders why people aren’t impressed.

From all accounts he opposed most of it and was overruled by Magic. Magic was his boss, Magic had final say. And the question wasn't why aren't people impressed, the question was why are people upset with him and calling for him to be fired.

Nice try, though.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Be honest with the coaches and open to their POVs. Be as honest as you can to the players. And lie your ass off to the media.

I think Rob has been doing exactly this?

TBH, the more I'm getting to know about Rob and see how he is handling this side-show, the more I like him. Hopefully he will prove capable of building a team as POBO-GM and be very successful here. It would be really great if he can help land a 30% FA like Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler, etc... but I'd also be good if they can't land one of those and decide to go about building a long-term contending team through the draft (as long as they build it well).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

From all accounts he opposed most of it and was overruled by Magic. Magic was his boss, Magic had final say. And the question wasn't why aren't people impressed, the question was why are people upset with him and calling for him to be fired.

Nice try, though.

Care to link?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.

botched how? That's the media's portrayal of what happened. I believe Vogel is a better choice than Lue would have been.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

I remember reading that Walton, staff that included Pelinka wanted to resign Randle and Lopez but Magic was the one with the vision of the playmaker's to surround LeBron.

The FA signings were all Magic, the Zubac trade was all Magic, and trading DLo was all Magic. Rob probably had some say in the AD and Lou trade but the rest Magic has all taken full credit for and even defended his decisions showing they weren't Robs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Who’s accounts?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

botched how? That's the media's portrayal of what happened. I believe Vogel is a better choice than Lue would have been.

So you believe that they lucked into the best choice rather than pursue that choice?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

You're entitled to your opinion. The Lakers disagreed. I know it's in fashion to dismiss unflattering news as "fake" but if you think that process went smoothly I can't help you.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Who’s accounts?

Do you really think after Magic spent an hour on First Take trashing Rob... that he wouldn't have blamed him for the bad personnel decisions if he could?

Magic was trashing Zubac... how much more circumstantial evidence do you need? An internal video feed of Magic telling Rob to give up BI/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart/Zubac/Picks for AD?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: