Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Tough for pelinka the snake to get other teams and agents to talk to him. This was what Jeanie chose. SHe was warned.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

What are the qualifications ?
- Education? He's got a law degree
- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.
This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.

Yes, he's capable of performing the job. However, he is not the best choice. Said another way, if he was not Kobe's agent, would he have gotten the job with the Lakers? No, he would not have.

Precisely. Picking an inexperienced and unqualified person because they're a friend and hoping they figure it out is a horrible plan and totally unnecessary. Let novices get their training wheels off on a different franchise. We should be targeting the elite.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:

I can't tell if you're being dense on purpose, holding a job title and doing the job isn't the only way someone can be qualified.

- Business experience ? He's specifically been involved with every aspect of the NBA on the business side from salary cap, player contracts, negotiations, and so on.
- Basketball experience? He play college basketball, was a part of the fab 5, and has been exclusively involved in the NBA/basketball for many years - and very successfully at that.

He's extremely qualified, qualifications are not defined exclusively by having held the job in the past. I have a masters degree and teaching credentials which makes me qualified for many teaching positions in my field even though I've never held a teaching position before. Stop conflating job experience with whether or not someone is qualified for the job itself.

Well, if you're making basketball decisions, ideally you'd want someone with more basketball experience than playing with the fab 5 in college.

We're trying to win a championship here. We're trying to outwit/out-maneuver/out-draft the Jerry West's, the Bob Myers, the Danny Ainge's of the league.

The question isn't - is Pelinka qualified to handle the job? The question is - is Pelinka good enough to compete with the very best in the business?
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

PNWlakers wrote:
would love to hear who is upset with Rob... At this point, it appears many (if not all) the major decisions were Magic's fault and the entire organization has moved on and is now backing Rob.

Who is siding with Magic after the stunt he pulled on ESPN?

Rob has a chance to re-write how he will be viewed as a GM this off-season and I'm stoked to see what he does!

Frankly I am extremely upset with Magic and he took a hit in my book with his antics today

- Was it true? I dont know and SO WHAT......you are a HOF LAKER wtf are you doing throwing this team under the bus?

- The timing of his interview with Vogle comeing on board was PATHETIC...it felt like a steal your thunder move.....

- I have no idea what is going to happen....but I am happen that Magic is gone....go back to your "business ventures" and give me guys that will actually come into the office and do the work!
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Tough for pelinka the snake to get other teams and agents to talk to him. This was what Jeanie chose. SHe was warned.

So in your world the bad GM is the one who is ruthless in negotiations (and boo hoo, not "liked"), but not the ones who manage based on "emotion" and getting back at people, instead of what's best for the team?

Bizarre.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
There are lots of reasons, but primarily because he is not qualified to hold the job he has and he's there instead of somebody who is.

Why is he unqualified? He has a law degree and was one of the most prolific agents in the NBA, he understands the NBA and salary cap as well as anyone, he's been around the NBA for many years and understands the business. Why would you consider him unqualified? Because he hasn't had that specific title before? I'm asking what he's done to deserve people to want him fired when it seems he's been opposed to all of the decisions that we've been complaining about for the past 2 years.

It's not just a different title, it's an entirely different job for which he has zero experience and nobody to learn from and his former career has left him with a bad reputation amongst agents and teams he now has to deal with. Hiring him was a completely unforced error and done so because of his relationship with Jeanie. There are elite, experienced executives out there that would take the job, but instead we are running an on-the-job training program (with no trainer) during a crucial summer that is going to make or break LeBrob's time here.

If you can only hire a GM who's been a successful GM in the past you have a list of like 4 people alive. He's literally probably more qualified than any other human who hasn't done the job previously.

The league is filled with successful GMs. Go get one. There's more than 4, but who cares? Go get one of them. They didn't even try. Pelinka isn't more qualified than any other human because he isn't qualified at all. He's a rookie to this job. Zero experience and nobody to learn from.

This is the Lakers we are talking about, one of the most prestigious franchises in the NBA. Would you expect to have a tenured position at Harvard without a resume filled with teaching experience? Is he qualified? Possibly.

Is he the most qualified person for the job? No, because being an agent and managing a team requires different skill sets. Also, you need to have positive relationships with executives in other teams, which he reportedly does not have.

What skill sets do representing and managing a player and representing and managing a team have that are exclusive of one another? I'd say there are many common skill sets required for both.

Also I wouldn't equate my degree and education in terms of teaching to his being an agent in terms of being GM. He has a much more impressive resume going for a GM than I would going for a position at Harvard.

Yes, he's capable of performing the job. However, he is not the best choice. Said another way, if he was not Kobe's agent, would he have gotten the job with the Lakers? No, he would not have.

Jeanie needs to hire the best people for the jobs.

He had other clients but how is being a super successful agent for one of the greatest basketball players of all time a bad thing? That's kind of an accomplishment and the definition of success if you ask me.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

So in your world the bad GM is the one who is ruthless in negotiations (and boo hoo, not "liked"), but not the ones who manage based on "emotion" and getting back at people, instead of what's best for the team?

Bizarre.

It's hard to get deals done when other agents and GMs won't talk to you because of bad blood. Why is that hard to understand?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Bizarre.

Can both be bad?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Day wrote:

Well, if you're making basketball decisions, ideally you'd want someone with more basketball experience than playing with the fab 5 in college.

We're trying to win a championship here. We're trying to outwit/out-maneuver/out-draft the Jerry West's, the Bob Myers, the Danny Ainge's of the league.

The question isn't - is Pelinka qualified to handle the job? The question is - is Pelinka good enough to compete with the very best in the business?

Except Rob Pelinka's resume is just as complete as Bob Myers....Bob Myers was a role player on the UCLA basketball team in the 90's, the same one that won an NCAA championship. Hell, we even have some people in the front offices around the NBA who have zero basketball experience and they are solely there because of analytics. Just because somebody has played in the NBA and was a superstar doesn't mean they are a great talent evaluator or manager of people, see Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan for examples.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are people upset with Rob?

Day wrote:
So after today Magic is responsible for:
- Letting go of D'Angelo Russel, Lou Williams, Brook Lopez, Julius Randle, and Ivica Zubac.
- Surrounding LeBron with the team that he did.
- Offering literally the entire team for AD which caused drama and turmoil that Lonzo, Kuz, and BI all took offense to.
- Bringing in Kurt Rambis as another voice for decisions

If this is all true, then what has Pelinka actually done over the last couple years?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

One of the names you listed here, i.e., Bob Myers, followed the EXACT SAME career path as Rob Pelinka... except Bob didn't do as well as Rob in school or as a college player, and didn't have as many or as high profile players as an agent... before becoming assistant GM at GSW. Scroll through their Wiki pages and compare their accomplishments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pelinka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Myers

Some of Bob's "high-profile" clients... Brandon Roy, Tyreke Evans and Kendrick Perkins.
Some of Rob's clients... Kobe, Harden, Iggy, Fisher, Boozer.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Day wrote:

Except Rob Pelinka's resume is just as complete as Bob Myers....Bob Myers was a role player on the UCLA basketball team in the 90's, the same one that won an NCAA championship. Hell, we even have some people in the front offices around the NBA who have zero basketball experience and they are solely there because of analytics. Just because somebody has played in the NBA and was a superstar doesn't mean they are a great talent evaluator or manager of people, see Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan for examples.

Bob Myers was hired by Golden State as an Assistant GM. He spent a year under somebody with experience (and Jerry freaking West) before being promoted to GM. Rob Pelinka has no experienced person above him to learn how to do the job. He does not have Jerry West. He's flanked by the worst coach of the modern era and Twitter porn enthusiast Kurt Rambis and Kurt's wife. Myers also came to GS with a great reputation, unlike Rob. Comparing the two is bogus.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Day wrote:

I'm not talking playing experience. I'm talking some type of Assistant GM experience.

And just because Myers worked out doesn't mean it's ideal. I said "ideally" you'd want someone with more experience. If not, then you just gotta hope that they can overcome their inexperience.

Not sure what your opposition is. Are you saying you'd rather have Pelinka being this green or would you rather have hired Pelinka after he's been an assistant under Jerry West for the last 5 years?

Even Myers had alot of experienced consultants around him like Jerry West. Pelinka has... Magic and Kurt and Linda Rambis?

Also, it's alot more difficult to build a team from the ground up which is what Pelinka is tasked to do. When Myers took over in 2012, Steph was already on the team. Klay was already on the team.

His major moves have been:
(1) draft Draymond Green in the 2nd rd
(2) fire Mark Jackson and sign Steve Kerr
(3) sign Durant
(4) sign Iggy

Quote:

In April 2011, Myers was hired by the Golden State Warriors as an assistant general manager.[12] He was expected to apprentice under general manager Larry Riley for a few years. However, Myers was promoted to general manager after only 12 months.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Rob handled that press conference expertly. His answer struck the perfect tone of appreciation for what Magic has done for the organization, their great working relationship over the last two years, sadness over the fact that Magic thinks he somehow did him wrong, and hope that Magic will sit down with him so they can talk through things and put this behind them.

Magic on the other hand, lost a lot of credibility in my eyes today, and this is someone who watched him play in the 70's and 80's and has such fond memories of everything he's done for this organization.

2nd that. And if Rob recruits a top FA here, this will all be silly nonsense.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
I'm willing to give Rob Benefit of the doubt. He wasn't telling the truth when he said president of basketball ops were created by Jeanie for Magic. That's far from the truth.

How do you know that? Are you part of that inner group within the Lakers' management or is this just hearsay?

Jim Buss was president of Basketball Ops before.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports.

Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments

Oh, come on.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports.

Oh, come on.

?
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
I'm willing to give Rob Benefit of the doubt. He wasn't telling the truth when he said president of basketball ops were created by Jeanie for Magic. That's far from the truth.

How do you know that? Are you part of that inner group within the Lakers' management or is this just hearsay?

Jim Buss was president of Basketball Ops before.

He was Vice President of Basketball Operations, we never had a single POBO.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Bob Myers was hired by Golden State as an Assistant GM. He spent a year under somebody with experience (and Jerry freaking West) before being promoted to GM. Rob Pelinka has no experienced person above him to learn how to do the job. He does not have Jerry West. He's flanked by the worst coach of the modern era and Twitter porn enthusiast Kurt Rambis and Kurt's wife. Myers also came to GS with a great reputation, unlike Rob. Comparing the two is bogus.

My counter to this... Pelinka has had 1 year of experience now as THE GM instead of as an Assistant GM... and he's learned what not to do from watching who some would consider the worst POBO in the league. I'm sure he has learned well, being the over-achiever and grinder that he is. Rob isn't flying solo either... he has Phil, Kurt, Kobe, Vogel, Kidd, Ryan West and Jesse Buss' combined experiences to lean on.

So how about waiting to see what he and the rest of the FO does now instead of rehashing this convo over and over again? You're just copy/pasting old posts of yours from another thread at this point... because I can swear we've had this exact same conversation before and it's not because of a random feeling of deja vue.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Oh, come on.

?

Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports. Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments.

My reaction: Oh, come on.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Because some of us have posters of magic johnson in our houses. I have a 7 foot poster on my bathroom door. So it is tough to admit that magic isn't the childhood idol anymore

I doubt anyone has a poster of rob pelinka
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Oh, come on.

?

Pelinka said the 2 years he's worked with Magic are some of the greatest memories he's had in sports. Says he is saddened and disheartened by Magic's comments.

I'm trying to understand your reaction and what you are reacting to, because neither is clear... hence the question mark. It's still not clear btw.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Oh, come on.

?

I'm trying to understand your reaction and what you are reacting to, because neither is clear... hence the question mark. It's still not clear btw.

Seems pretty straightforward. He’s scoffing at Rob’s claim that these past two years somehow constitute his “greatest” sports memories.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Oh, come on.

?

No problem. Usually I stop after one explanation. Not that important to try and further explain.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
ocho wrote:

My counter to this... Pelinka has had 1 year of experience now as THE GM instead of as an Assistant GM... and he's learned what not to do from watching who some would consider the worst POBO in the league. I'm sure he has learned well, being the over-achiever and grinder that he is. Rob isn't flying solo either... he has Phil, Kurt, Kobe, Vogel, Kidd, Ryan West and Jesse Buss' combined experiences to lean on.

So how about waiting to see what he and the rest of the FO does now instead of rehashing this convo over and over again? You're just copy/pasting old posts of yours from another thread at this point... because I can swear we've had this exact same conversation before and it's not because of a random feeling of deja vue.

I don't think his experience working for a buffoon who had no clue what he was doing and was barely there is much to hang your hat on. I'm not interested in "waiting and seeing" or using our Front Office jobs as lab experiments for unqualified novices during an extraordinarily crucial time for us. You don't wait until after a critical summer to see if the guy you hired is any good, especially when you can just go and get someone who is already good right now. Pelinka may very well end up being great at the job. Let him go discover his greatness elsewhere and if it ever happens, then hire him. In the meantime we have a team to build and it would be cool to have a professional at the helm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: