Irving to Lakers? (SAS: Kyrie forcing his way to Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
Honestly, I don't want to see a Kyrie/LeBron pairing in LA. I'd take Kyrie without Lebron, but I don't see the two of them together bringing a title here.

It seems every time I post I'm harping on how THIS is why I didn't want Lebron in the first place, because I think he's too old/no time to build around and I don't want to see the Lakers mortgage their future to get LeBron a WC Finals exit.

I guess if KD leaves the Warriors this offseason anything is possible, although they would be sure to replace him with good talent/depth to put around Draymond/Klay/Steph, and if Boogie decides to reup there it could mean trouble for the rest of the league.

We are already spending max money on a non-defender, paying another max on one isn’t the path to greatness. Watch the best team in the league this playoffs, what are they doing? Defending. I guess if Kyrie is your last choice then you enjoy an offensive show and a round or two in the playoffs. I can’t believe that we would have no shot at Butler instead.

I don’t think anyone is preferring Kyrie to Kawhi, KD or Jimmy. But if we can’t hey any of those guys, turning down Kyrie (who by the way has proven he can win a championship as LeBron’s #2) is such a silly notion.

If big names are your objective then you couldn’t turn Kyrie’s down. I would just temper my expectations accordingly. And some are preferring Kyrie to Butler, but to each their own.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
Honestly, I don't want to see a Kyrie/LeBron pairing in LA. I'd take Kyrie without Lebron, but I don't see the two of them together bringing a title here.

It seems every time I post I'm harping on how THIS is why I didn't want Lebron in the first place, because I think he's too old/no time to build around and I don't want to see the Lakers mortgage their future to get LeBron a WC Finals exit.

I guess if KD leaves the Warriors this offseason anything is possible, although they would be sure to replace him with good talent/depth to put around Draymond/Klay/Steph, and if Boogie decides to reup there it could mean trouble for the rest of the league.

The idea of Lebron coming was to pair him with another young star who could take over when Lebron retires. Depending on how we fare this off season that is still in place.

The GSW have something like 113 million on the books next year even if KD leaves. Klay is also due for a max (currently making 17 million) so the idea that if KD leaves they could magically use his salary slot to replace him with good talent/depth is a myth. Looney is also a free agent and Draymond has one more year left.

Even after re-signing Klay the Warriors shouldn’t be over the apron so they could do a S&T with KD. It might not be practical but it might be possible.

Why would another team agree to a S&T when they can sign KD outright as a free agent? In that (most likely) scenario, the Warriors cannot replace KD with anyone significant with the rest of their salary totals after maxing Klay. They'll still be a great team, as we've seen, but they're not getting anyone decent to replace KD if he leaves.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:

We are already spending max money on a non-defender, paying another max on one isn’t the path to greatness. Watch the best team in the league this playoffs, what are they doing? Defending. I guess if Kyrie is your last choice then you enjoy an offensive show and a round or two in the playoffs. I can’t believe that we would have no shot at Butler instead.

I don’t think anyone is preferring Kyrie to Kawhi, KD or Jimmy. But if we can’t hey any of those guys, turning down Kyrie (who by the way has proven he can win a championship as LeBron’s #2) is such a silly notion.

If big names are your objective then you couldn’t turn Kyrie’s down. I would just temper my expectations accordingly. And some are preferring Kyrie to Butler, but to each their own.

I know you like two way players... but what is your solution to our guard position? Just roll with Lonzo?

Or do you have another guard in mind?

Or do you just want to use Jimmy as a shooting guard?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:

The idea of Lebron coming was to pair him with another young star who could take over when Lebron retires. Depending on how we fare this off season that is still in place.

The GSW have something like 113 million on the books next year even if KD leaves. Klay is also due for a max (currently making 17 million) so the idea that if KD leaves they could magically use his salary slot to replace him with good talent/depth is a myth. Looney is also a free agent and Draymond has one more year left.

Even after re-signing Klay the Warriors shouldn’t be over the apron so they could do a S&T with KD. It might not be practical but it might be possible.

Why would another team agree to a S&T when they can sign KD outright as a free agent? In that (most likely) scenario, the Warriors cannot replace KD with anyone significant with the rest of their salary totals after maxing Klay. They'll still be a great team, as we've seen, but they're not getting anyone decent to replace KD if he leaves.

The S&T would get KD to a team that can’t sign him outright. A team that doesn’t have enough cap space to sign him or a team that has used their cap space on another FA. Maybe not practical but it could be possible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

SM, to cut the quotes, yes I roll with Lonzo and Butler at the guard spots.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SM, to cut the quotes, yes I roll with Lonzo and Butler at the guard spots.

Got it.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

Kawhi or Kyrie and im STOKED.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

If we had:

Kyrie
Lonzo
BI
LBJ
(defensive minded center for room exception).

We'd have in theory 3 plus defenders covering for Kyrie/LBJ who would do the lion's share of work on offense.

We could also trade assets for a 3rd all star who is hopefully a 2 way player.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If we had:

Kyrie
Lonzo
BI
LBJ
(defensive minded center for room exception).

We'd have in theory 3 plus defenders covering for Kyrie/LBJ who would do the lion's share of work on offense.

We could also trade assets for a 3rd all star who is hopefully a 2 way player.

I pointed out yesterday that the top 14 teams this season all had short guards.

The Nets were the team with the best record who had guards over 6' 5"

The Spurs would have been one if Dejounte Murray wasn't hurt.

However, I wonder if Lonzo/Butler/Ingram/LBJ/Defensive Center can compete with the Steph/Dame/CJ/Kyrie type guards.

Obviously it's nice to have all that length... but I wonder if it becomes a case like when Barry Sanders used to have his way among all the tall trees in the NFL.

It worries me that all the top teams left have small, quick guards.

Bledsoe, Lowry, Curry, Dame/CJ

This season... even mediocre small guards like Barea and Augustin had their way with us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

When I think of "small" PGs, that's Lowry/Kemba who are probably closer to 5'11.

Kyrie is a legit 6'2.5 or 6'3.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
When I think of "small" PGs, that's Lowry/Kemba who are probably closer to 5'11.

Yup, according the the official Drake measuring tape, Lowry is 5'11.5" without shoes.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

fwiw SAS on his ESPN Radio Show today just said he'll share more about Kyrie and the Lakers. His show just started.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
fwiw SAS on his ESPN Radio Show today just said he'll share more about Kyrie and the Lakers. His show just started.

it’s happening?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

My point was that length had no bearing on success this season.

Philly was the closest thing to a long team... but they still needed Redick to spread the floor because Ben can't shoot.

If Ben could shoot and they could play another long wing... maybe that team would dominate... but this season hasn't been the case.

In fact every champion over the last ten years has had a short starting guard.
Kyrie, Steph, DWade, Barea, Fisher, Rondo, Tony Parker.

I'm not sure if any team has won a title playing all tall players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Max Kellerman says Lakers are the best option for Kyrie Irving

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJq3kwjd44
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

patiently waiting for LeBron and Kyrie dinner pictures

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Philly was the closest thing to a long team... but they still needed Redick to spread the floor because Ben can't shoot.

If Ben could shoot and they could play another long wing... maybe that team would dominate... but this season hasn't been the case.

Billups was the shortest starter at 6’4” for the 2004 Pistons.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Kyrie would make up for the DLO trade mistake. Kawhi or KD instead would be a Grand Slam.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Obviously the top two choices are Kawhi and Durant.

Then there are Kyrie and Butler. You can make the argument for either of the two. Kyrie is the superior offensive player, but Butler might be the better fit because of what he brings on both ends. Especially if the Lakers draft a Garland to join Ball in the backcourt.

Lonzo
Butler
Ingram
Lebron
McGee

Will be hard to score on.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Dont want Kyrie
hes a PG verion of carmello anthony. moves look good, fancy plays but not a long term winner

he did well in one playoff series with cleveland as a side kick
but i think at 27, i wouldn't give him max money to be your franchise player
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
Obviously the top two choices are Kawhi and Durant.

Then there are Kyrie and Butler. You can make the argument for either of the two. Kyrie is the superior offensive player, but Butler might be the better fit because of what he brings on both ends. Especially if the Lakers draft a Garland to join Ball in the backcourt.

Lonzo
Butler
Ingram
Lebron
McGee

Will be hard to score on.

Would be hard to space the floor also
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Billups was the shortest starter at 6’4” for the 2004 Pistons.

Yeah that's the closest thing to the switchable defense model everyone here keeps touting.

And it's a unicorn team in the annals of NBA history.
SickwithIt1010
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Dont want Kyrie
hes a PG verion of carmello anthony. moves look good, fancy plays but not a long term winner

Did well in one playoff series? In his career in the postseason he averages 23 ppg, 5 assists, 3 rebounds.

Shooting 45% and 40% from 3. Damn near 90% from the line.

Seems like he does just fine in the postseason.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

I still rather have Bogdanovic and Dedmon and then some cap room still left over to look for another shooter, over spending it all on Kyrie/Kemba.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better for us to sign 2 starters who can shoot and play off Lebron, and another player for bench depth, draft a player that is a lottery talent and can play a role right away (like DeAndre Hunter) than it is to max out Kyrie/Kemba/Jimmy.

The only players I'd max out are KD or KL as they could put the Lakers on a championship level. KD and KL can allow LBJ to sit back and rest during games and during intervals of the season. They are #1 level guys. Everyone else is a bonafide #2 on a championship team, meaning LBJ has to carry the same load he did in CLE. I rather in that scenario have players that make a #1 carry the load Lebron - his life much easier. Easier driving lanes. Easier conversions on kick outs. Just more spacing and more trust that the players who are open will be a threat. And truth is, if we draft a wing or guard which is likely, we need a starting level big.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu May 23, 2019 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Dont want Kyrie

Kyrie's not good enough to be The Man, but he's proven he can be the #2 guy on an elite team/champion. #2 guys are still worth max money imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 20 of 55
Jump to: