Tyronn Lue celebrating as Lakers Head Coach (Update: NO DEAL!!! - pg.4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think Lebron has ever had a situation where he's had this much trust in his teammates since the earlier part of his MIami tenure where Wade was still Wade

LeBron’s buy-in has been so stunning I still can’t get over it. Join the lottery Lakers with no second star? No problem. We don’t want to do the 1+1 contract thing you’ve been doing so we’d like you to sign a 4 year deal. Sure. Our President of Ops just quit on live TV. Ok. We didn’t hire the coach you’re comfortable with. Cool. We need you to focus and step up on D in a way you haven’t in years. Done.

He’s the MVP in my eyes. Who has done more for their franchise than LeBron?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
I don't think Lebron has ever had a situation where he's had this much trust in his teammates since the earlier part of his MIami tenure where Wade was still Wade

LeBron’s buy-in has been so stunning I still can’t get over it. Join the lottery Lakers with no second star? No problem. We don’t want to do the 1+1 contract thing you’ve been doing so we’d like you to sign a 4 year deal. Sure. Our President of Ops just quit on live TV. Ok. We didn’t hire the coach you’re comfortable with. Cool. We need you to focus and step up on D in a way you haven’t in years. Done.

Get us AD? Done.

Absolutely the MVP.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Lue going to the head coaching job for the Clippers doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since you fired Doc Rivers. If you felt like you needed a culture change, and the assistant head coach is part of the old regime. Usually its the assistant coaches that deal with things like team chemistry problems, its not like Lue was fixing that. Lue worked well with LeBron, the team leader, who is the team leader for the Clippers? Guess what, it was Doc Rivers - the coach needs to be the leader unless they dump some players and bring back a leader like say Chris Paul.

Lue really should have taken the three year deal with the Lakers, BIG mistake.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Lue going to the head coaching job for the Clippers doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since you fired Doc Rivers. If you felt like you needed a culture change, and the assistant head coach is part of the old regime. Usually its the assistant coaches that deal with things like team chemistry problems, its not like Lue was fixing that. Lue worked well with LeBron, the team leader, who is the team leader for the Clippers? Guess what, it was Doc Rivers - the coach needs to be the leader unless they dump some players and bring back a leader like say Chris Paul.

I get the impression the firing of Rivers was emotional on Ballmer’s part. If you’ve followed Ballmer’s career and are familiar with his general disposition you’ll know that he’s....well....emotional. Lue is the best option left on the market and I suspect he’ll be the next Clippers head coach, but I wonder if there was much of a plan in place when the decision to fire Doc was made.
KobeGOATMambaRIP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I get the impression the firing of Rivers was emotional on Ballmer’s part. If you’ve followed Ballmer’s career and are familiar with his general disposition you’ll know that he’s....well....emotional. Lue is the best option left on the market and I suspect he’ll be the next Clippers head coach, but I wonder if there was much of a plan in place when the decision to fire Doc was made.

I think it's more logical than emotional though. Remember now, Doc Rivers inherited the Lob City Clippers and their hopes were really high with Blake and Paul etc. Their greatest accomplishment was beating the Spurs but aside from that that particular team fell apart.

Then he inherits a legitimate championship team and while you can't blame him for every thing that went wrong such is life and he has to live with the responsibilities.

In 1 season Vogel has won more playoff series than Rivers. I know that's anecdotal but Ballmer is not happy with the fact that doc has now lost two 3-1 series as a Clippers coach.

I really respect Doc Rivers but whatever it is he never really had it. The 07-08 Celtics were an anomaly. They were talented top to bottom and even they went 7 games twice against Atlanta and Celtics and went 6 games against a banged up Lakers team.

He was completely out coached in that Nuggets series as well.
secund2nun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Spo and Vogel are the only 2 good coaches Lebron has ever had. The rest of his coaches have been joke yes men coaches like Lue and Brown.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Do we know exactly why Lue pulled out?

Was that a blessing in disguise for the Lakers?

Because we cheaped out and offered him a 3 year deal instead of 5.

Now that Doc beat him out for the Philly job, do you think Ty regrets not taking 3 years from the Lakers?

OKC, Clippers and the Pelicans all have openings right? I think he lands in one of those spots with a promotion on the Clippers the most likely.

It was certainly a gamble on Lue’s part. He bet on himself and the market changing in his favor. So far it looks like he’s been correct. He’s now the top candidate on the market for every job. I believe he was the highest paid assistant last season and now he’s likely to land a deal longer than 3 years.

I don't begrudge Lue for balking at a 3 year deal. I'll admit, that was a bit of an insulting offer. That said, I can't complain about Vogel stepping up. We're potentially going to win the title going 16-3(?) during a season where we were basically playing with house money. This is year 1 and the team has collectively bought in. People nitpick his x's and o's on offense but at the end of the day, the hardest thing in coaching is to get the superstars to buy in and it looks like everyone in the organization from top to bottom are all on the same page.

I don't think Lebron has ever had a situation where he's had this much trust in his teammates since the earlier part of his MIami tenure where Wade was still Wade. Down 13 in the first and he's okay with being on the bench and letting AD shoulder the load. What a team Pelinka put together. I'd be putting out a diss track a la Hit 'em Up if I were Pelinka but I'm a petty sumabitch. The amount of abuse the front office took from fans and media alike was comically unfair and we're seeing a LOT of people singing a different tune.

Perfect post.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Lue was the top assistant on Blatt's staff, and he completely changed the culture when they got rid of Blatt. People who think Lue was nothing more than a "yes man" for LeBron in Cleveland is ignorant at best and not very intelligent at worst. Lue was anything but a yes man. He challenged LeBron continually, even in front of the rest of the team. LeBron never treated Lue the way he treated Blatt. That is documented.

As happy as I am with Vogel, I don't get why people are clowning Lue as if he made some sort of monumental blunder. I don't think he regrets turning down the Lakers' offer. Not only was it low ball considering the market and the fact that he's won a championship and has had several trips to the Finals as a head coach, but it was also accompanied with a non-negotiable requisite that the FO could assemble his staff, which was (and still is) unprecedented. Vogel was desperate to get back into the league and hadn't enjoyed the same amount of success that Lue had, so it makes sense that he was willing to cede ground to the demands of the FO.

Nevertheless, Vogel ultimately proved to be the right man for the job and its been a thrill to see how he's been able to mold this group into a contender.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

lol. If he’d taken this job, he would have two championships with two franchises and would be on track for the Hall of Fame.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Keith Pompey: Former New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry is being seriously considered to join Doc Rivers’ #Sixers staff as an assistant, a league source confirmed. The source noted that Gentry is also in the running to become the associate head coach for the Sacramento Kings. – via Twitter PompeyOnSixers

If Gentry ends up as Associate Head Coach on the Kings bench, I would expect he's being lined up to replace Luke. Seem like a bit of a trend to do that, anyway.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

KobeGOATMambaRIP wrote:
I think it's more logical than emotional though. Remember now, Doc Rivers inherited the Lob City Clippers and their hopes were really high with Blake and Paul etc. Their greatest accomplishment was beating the Spurs but aside from that that particular team fell apart.

Then he inherits a legitimate championship team and while you can't blame him for every thing that went wrong such is life and he has to live with the responsibilities.

In 1 season Vogel has won more playoff series than Rivers. I know that's anecdotal but Ballmer is not happy with the fact that doc has now lost two 3-1 series as a Clippers coach.

I really respect Doc Rivers but whatever it is he never really had it. The 07-08 Celtics were an anomaly. They were talented top to bottom and even they went 7 games twice against Atlanta and Celtics and went 6 games against a banged up Lakers team.

He was completely out coached in that Nuggets series as well.

Doc is a really impressive guy. As the cliche goes, you'd want him in your fox hole.

But as a coach . . . it's been a pretty mixed bag, mostly not so good. He was coach of the year in Orlando, but the team was 41-41. That seemed impressive at the time, but only because Orlando was supposed to be really bad that year. After that, the Magic had Grant Hill (or at least had his name on the roster) and TMac, but the Magic never got much better and never won a playoff series. Doc eventually got shown the door.

Then he produced mediocre results in Boston for a few years, until Ainge managed to assemble a super team for him. I remember that Bill Simmons used to complain a lot about Rivers, until things clicked with the super team. Even then, Rivers won only one title with the Celtics.

Then he spent years with a loaded Clips team that could never accomplish anything. He was 27-32 in the playoffs with the Clips. This included two of the most mind blowing collapses in recent memory.

So Bill Simmons probably had Rivers pegged. The aura of winning a title, and the fact that he is such an impressive guy, disguised this for a number of years. Now he's got a situation in Philly that is similar to the situation during his Griffin-Paul days with the Clips (without Donald Sterling). This does not bode well. But he got a five year contract. Good for him.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:
Keith Pompey: Former New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry is being seriously considered to join Doc Rivers’ #Sixers staff as an assistant, a league source confirmed. The source noted that Gentry is also in the running to become the associate head coach for the Sacramento Kings. – via Twitter PompeyOnSixers

If Gentry ends up as Associate Head Coach on the Kings bench, I would expect he's being lined up to replace Luke. Seem like a bit of a trend to do that, anyway.

I wonder if it’s an ego blow to be a veteran head coach and still have to be “in the running” to be Associate Head Coach. Or if you’re Lue and a former championship coach with three finals appearances.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Now that Doc beat him out for the Philly job, do you think Ty regrets not taking 3 years from the Lakers?

OKC, Clippers and the Pelicans all have openings right? I think he lands in one of those spots with a promotion on the Clippers the most likely.

It was certainly a gamble on Lue’s part. He bet on himself and the market changing in his favor. So far it looks like he’s been correct. He’s now the top candidate on the market for every job. I believe he was the highest paid assistant last season and now he’s likely to land a deal longer than 3 years.

I don't begrudge Lue for balking at a 3 year deal. I'll admit, that was a bit of an insulting offer. That said, I can't complain about Vogel stepping up. We're potentially going to win the title going 16-3(?) during a season where we were basically playing with house money. This is year 1 and the team has collectively bought in. People nitpick his x's and o's on offense but at the end of the day, the hardest thing in coaching is to get the superstars to buy in and it looks like everyone in the organization from top to bottom are all on the same page.

I don't think Lebron has ever had a situation where he's had this much trust in his teammates since the earlier part of his MIami tenure where Wade was still Wade. Down 13 in the first and he's okay with being on the bench and letting AD shoulder the load. What a team Pelinka put together. I'd be putting out a diss track a la Hit 'em Up if I were Pelinka but I'm a petty sumabitch. The amount of abuse the front office took from fans and media alike was comically unfair and we're seeing a LOT of people singing a different tune.

You had me at sumabitch

Coach Wooden
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Don't see why Ballmer would go with Lue, now that he lost faith in Doc. Lue is just as responsible for all that played out on that team. Chemistry issues, leadership issues.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Hope Lue takes pelicans job, JVG takes Houston's job

And clippers left with MDA at best but then he takes Indy job 😂
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Rivers wouldn’t buy in on Ballmer, West and Frank’s vision of how to improve the team. You don’t want a head coach who is in conflict with management. And with Frank as one of their decision-makers, Kidd won’t be a candidate for the coaching job.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I know we have bigger fish to fry right now, but when the dust settles, I wouldn't mind the Lakers going after some of the guys that didn't get a head coaching job for an associate head coach position. The pitch is to join a team with two uberstars potentially coming off a championship and contending for another, a historically great and visible franchise with this newly established culture where everyone has bought in 110% and has a say, and then likely be in line for a head coaching gig again next summer.

Kenny Atkinson, anybody? Would love to get a more modern offensive mind on the staff, and Atkinson has shown that he's also excellent at developing young players.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Lue was the top assistant on Blatt's staff, and he completely changed the culture when they got rid of Blatt. People who think Lue was nothing more than a "yes man" for LeBron in Cleveland is ignorant at best and not very intelligent at worst. Lue was anything but a yes man. He challenged LeBron continually, even in front of the rest of the team. LeBron never treated Lue the way he treated Blatt. That is documented.

As happy as I am with Vogel, I don't get why people are clowning Lue as if he made some sort of monumental blunder. I don't think he regrets turning down the Lakers' offer. Not only was it low ball considering the market and the fact that he's won a championship and has had several trips to the Finals as a head coach, but it was also accompanied with a non-negotiable requisite that the FO could assemble his staff, which was (and still is) unprecedented. Vogel was desperate to get back into the league and hadn't enjoyed the same amount of success that Lue had, so it makes sense that he was willing to cede ground to the demands of the FO.

Nevertheless, Vogel ultimately proved to be the right man for the job and its been a thrill to see how he's been able to mold this group into a contender.

The difference is that Lue was literally groomed by Doc since back in Boston. I'm not sure how much of a culture change he can enact when Doc's the one that brought him up, and they seem to have similar temperaments and reputations as players' coaches. But he'll probably be better at making adjustments in the playoffs than Doc has, going by his Cleveland tenure. They'd be less likely to blow a 3-1 lead, I guess?

But yeah, if Ballmer is being emotional and looking to change the culture of the team entirely, I can see him going elsewhere.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Trezz to Toronto is the hot rumor now. Got keep them away from Dwight at all costs.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lol. If he’d taken this job, he would have two championships with two franchises and would be on track for the Hall of Fame.

Ever heard of hindsight?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Ever heard of hindsight?

If you are currently unemployed and have been offered a prime job in a time sensitive scenario, you shouldn’t try to play hard ball for a better offer when there are other candidates.

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Judah wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Ever heard of hindsight?

If you are currently unemployed and have been offered a prime job in a time sensitive scenario, you shouldn’t try to play hard ball for a better offer when there are other candidates.

He wasn't trying to get a "better" offer. He was trying to get a respectful offer. Do you seriously not understand the difference? Their offer was insulting. I challenge you to provide examples of championship coaches who were told that they weren't allowed to assemble their own coaching staff.
Wolfer9
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Hi , brand new to the forums... been lurking a few years and really enjoy the knowledge on this site. As stated by someone before me. Excellent post

Judah wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Perfect post.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Judah wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Ever heard of hindsight?

He wasn't trying to get a "better" offer. He was trying to get a respectful offer. Do you seriously not understand the difference? Their offer was insulting. I challenge you to provide examples of championship coaches who were told that they weren't allowed to assemble their own coaching staff.

Pride and ego have cost many people great opportunities. At 43 & with 2 rings, he'd be in position to dictate terms on all of his future deals.

There are only 30 of those jobs in the world - having the Lakers job WITH LeBron & AD on the roster was a no-brainer. Take the freaking job and rob them on the contract extension.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

Wonder if Lue saved a portion of that cake in the fridge to eat a year later... You know? For good luck and a strong and healthy marriage to the Lakers. 🤣
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: