Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Heartbreaking ending to Power/Raising Kanan this week.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Heartbreaking ending to Power/Raising Kanan this week.

Yeah. When Nicole stole the vial from Jukeboxe's backpack I saw it coming. Juke's going to find out what killed her. When she does it's going to cause a rift between her and Kanan. When you fall out with Kanan you fall out with Raq. She's gonna have to do something to Kanan for his humungous mistake. If she doesn't she'll have problems with her crew.

Raising Kanan isn't living up to Power, Ghost Book. I don't understand why they deviated, changed the woman drug kingpin from Mary J Blige. She fit the role 00%, played it to the hilt. Patina Miller is OK but not the fit of Mary J. I'm guessing it has to do with era.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Howard stern interviewed Steve Martin and Martin short this week. It’s pretty funny. Clips can be watched on yt
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject:

CLICKBAIT! But make sure you have the next day off cause you’d binged the whole series, each episode just got better, watch it
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject:

ZNation… reminds me how good TWD early seasons was
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

Btw, all these years, diners drive in and dives, still an excellent watch
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject:

Ted Lasso rolled off another gem this week...

Quote:
Ain't no policy like a hospital policy cause a hospital policy don't stop.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Loved it. I kinda thought Sam and Rebecca would git jiggy wid it. Where does it go from here? Is there a hook-up between Ted and Fieldstone in the future?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

See is painful to watch. Not cause its a bad show or anything. Just because the plot has the "good guys" taking alot of Ls. Reminds me of the early seasons of Game of Thrones.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

Loved it. I kinda thought Sam and Rebecca would git jiggy wid it. Where does it go from here? Is there a hook-up between Ted and Fieldstone in the future?

Sam clearly was ready to roll.....and it was clear she had some level of interest.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Steve carell says office couldn’t be made today. I agree and that is a horrible look on where our society is today.

That’s it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Steve carell says office couldn’t be made today. I agree and that is a horrible look on where our society is today.

That’s it.

The great Al Bundy would’ve been canceled after one episode
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

The great Al Bundy would’ve been canceled after one episode

All in the Family would never have made it out of the pitch room.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject:

Jon Stewart back to having a show but on appletv! might have to get appletv
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Jon Stewart back to having a show but on appletv! might have to get appletv

Thanks for the heads up!

(and you should already have AppleTV for Ted Lasso )
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

Watched a couple new series last week. One was on AMC titled "Kin" and is focused on an organized crime family in Dublin. It appears to have potential to be very good. The other was on Showtime and titled "American Rust", stars Jeff Daniels and Maura Tierney. It is more of a crime story drama in a small southern PA town. It may have potential, but probably more limited.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this but I think they're flawed. I don't think him saying "the joke 'Oscar, you're gay. Boom, roasted' would get the show canceled" is understood correctly. A lot of people thinks this means that society today is too sensitive [and that we should allow inappropriate jokes] but I think the message is that society is too reactionary and not smart enough to realize that the joke/character/show is satire so it's not meant to be funny in the way the character thinks it is.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

I've seen a lot of complaints about this but I think they're flawed. I don't think him saying "the joke 'Oscar, you're gay. Boom, roasted' would get the show canceled" is understood correctly. A lot of people thinks this means that society today is too sensitive [and that we should allow inappropriate jokes] but I think the message is that society is too reactionary and not smart enough to realize that the joke/character/show is satire so it's not meant to be funny in the way the character thinks it is.

Shows like the office will always have a platform, somewhere. And in fact, the streaming world etc. will continue to push boundaries. But the world of Network Television is changing and the amount of rope it is willing to let out for irreverent content is shortening. Trust me, that's the world I currently work in.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

Shows like the office will always have a platform, somewhere. And in fact, the streaming world etc. will continue to push boundaries. But the world of Network Television is changing and the amount of rope it is willing to let out for irreverent content is shortening. Trust me, that's the world I currently work in.

I agree. And that's the great part about the streaming services, they will try things that networks wont.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

The chauvinism, the “ that’s what she said, the colonoscopy, the Toby banter, the racial references to Stanley, imho would all have to be changed or delivered differently. That would change show. Maybe equally as good but that’s the rub. “Maybe”

Cancel culture highlights how sensitive society is. Stand up comics are struggling with this. Public personas are constantly needing to apologize. Even Seth Rogan said you may have to apologize for something you said in the past. But if it’s done in the name of art why?

Everything when taken out of context can be misconstrued and the arts, primarily entertainment has been hit the hardest imho. Because I laugh at In Living Colors parodies doesn’t make me racist and if it offends that is what the buttons on the remote are for.

The most recent highlight is the guy who directed Joker. He said he can’t do comedies anymore because of how politically correct (sensitive) you have to be.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

The chauvinism, the “ that’s what she said, the colonoscopy, the Toby banter, the racial references to Stanley, imho would all have to be changed or delivered differently. That would change show. Maybe equally as good but that’s the rub. “Maybe”

Cancel culture highlights how sensitive society is. Stand up comics are struggling with this. Public personas are constantly needing to apologize. Even Seth Rogan said you may have to apologize for something you said in the past. But if it’s done in the name of art why?

Everything when taken out of context can be misconstrued and the arts, primarily entertainment has been hit the hardest imho. Because I laugh at In Living Colors parodies doesn’t make me racist and if it offends that is what the buttons on the remote are for.

The most recent highlight is the guy who directed Joker. He said he can’t do comedies anymore because of how politically correct (sensitive) you have to be.

I agree that cancel culture is not a good thing but society being more sensitive should be a good thing. We're living in a time where everyone is realizing you need to be more cautious with your words because they could be brought up at any point in the future. A lot of people view this as a bad thing but isn't living in a world where everyone is a bit more thoughtful about what they say/do a better one?

I don't really think a lot of this has to do with sensitivity though, it's more in line with GOTCHA journalism and reactionary culture. People dig through past tweets to try to show someone said/did something stupid without taking into account if that person has grown at all. If something comes to light then yes the person should address it, but they shouldn't be defined by something that happened years ago - especially if they've grown since then.

I don't agree with Todd Phillips, it's dismissive and lazy to say "i can't make comedies because everyone is so offended." Maybe take the time to think what is offensive and why, avoid that, and make something that is funny on its own, not at the expense of anyone. It's like a lot of hack comics saying they cant tell jokes anymore because of society but the fact is most of their "jokes" weren't really jokes, they were just doing an intentionally offensive bit for shock value.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Halflife wrote:

That’s it.

I agree that cancel culture is not a good thing but society being more sensitive should be a good thing. We're living in a time where everyone is realizing you need to be more cautious with your words because they could be brought up at any point in the future. A lot of people view this as a bad thing but isn't living in a world where everyone is a bit more thoughtful about what they say/do a better one?

I don't really think a lot of this has to do with sensitivity though, it's more in line with GOTCHA journalism and reactionary culture. People dig through past tweets to try to show someone said/did something stupid without taking into account if that person has grown at all. If something comes to light then yes the person should address it, but they shouldn't be defined by something that happened years ago - especially if they've grown since then.

I don't agree with Todd Phillips, it's dismissive and lazy to say "i can't make comedies because everyone is so offended." Maybe take the time to think what is offensive and why, avoid that, and make something that is funny on its own, not at the expense of anyone. It's like a lot of hack comics saying they cant tell jokes anymore because of society but the fact is most of their "jokes" weren't really jokes, they were just doing an intentionally offensive bit for shock value.

In regards to Todd Phillips and comedy in general. Funny is funny. Stereotypes are why Chris Rock, Dave chapelle, original Eddie Murphy etc are all kings in that genre. The ability to laugh at oneself is what elevates comedy.

Todd is 100% right. If he can’t use gags that elevate movies out of fear of backlash then why make a watered down project. Laughing at Ken Juongs stereotypes was huge for the laugh factor in the hangover series, among other things.

Bill Maher did a great piece on Matt Damon ( not comedy). Where he went down the list of things Matt has had to apologize for. All when out of context maybe sound insensitive but not to the point of apologizing. Then he went over the list of the good Matt actually does. Much longer list.

Art regardless of medium should be protected. It is the last bastion of free expression. If Netflix wants to showcase a nazi artist, a racist comic, chauvinistic series they should be able to do so without retribution IMO. Obviously this is extreme but We are becoming this sterile culture where differing tastes become a call to arms.

If tucker Carlson presented himself as a satire artist it would almost be funny. He doesn’t, he presents himself as a viable news man. Huge difference and that’s where context is the most important thing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

As an aside. The more sensitive, or cautious society becomes, the more the divide grows.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here but I can speak for my wife too. When trump said “grab em by the …” that was the least offensive thing he did. The outrage wasn’t really about that. The outrage was that that guy could actually be president. Trump was just trying to be funny, macho to billy bush. Yes he’s accused of rape and it’s probably true but in that moment it wasn’t that.

Entertainment is an escape. Ted Lasso makes me feel a certain way as does something that pushes the boundaries. We should encourage those extremes even if someone by society’s standards happens to cross the line.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
As an aside. The more sensitive, or cautious society becomes, the more the divide grows.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here but I can speak for my wife too. When trump said “grab em by the …” that was the least offensive thing he did. The outrage wasn’t really about that. The outrage was that that guy could actually be president. Trump was just trying to be funny, macho to billy bush. Yes he’s accused of rape and it’s probably true but in that moment it wasn’t that.

Entertainment is an escape. Ted Lasso makes me feel a certain way as does something that pushes the boundaries. We should encourage those extremes even if someone by society’s standards happens to cross the line.

I should clarify, I meant more sensitive towards one another, e.g. thinking how something can affect/be perceived by others rather than just yourself.
Sure I can probably get some laughs by insulting someone but how is that making them feel? My saying "it's just a joke" doesn't take away the fact that it's at their expense. It's shedding accountability and I think that's what a lot of these guys don't understand.

I think Ted Lasso is a perfect example. It recently touched on the difference between guy friends busting each others balls and a guy taking it too far (Nate and Colin). Even the first season redemption of Rebecca was brilliant. She did something bad, she admitted to it, apologized, and Ted was compassionate enough to realize we all make mistakes and that you shouldn't hold one bad thing against someone, especially when they own it and learn from it.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

“The Premise” on FX. I watched 1 episode (it’s like black mirror where they’re all one-offs) and it was really good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 65 of 111
Jump to: