Data Destruction for Hard drives.. drilling a hole is not safe enough especially on SSD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Data Destruction for Hard drives.. drilling a hole is not safe enough especially on SSD

Multiple holes, yes.. but if you do it just like a platter/spindle drive with one hole through the platters... the error correcting on the drive can still reproduce data....

Even in mechanical drives one or two holes is not enough..

Quote:
You have not prevented someone from putting the platter under a magnetic force microscope and reading most of the data off that way

https://serverfault.com/questions/868863/does-drilling-a-hole-into-a-hard-drive-suffice-to-make-its-data-unrecoverable

Posting this for three reasons
1. PSA - Be safer
2. *I acquired an SSD with a hole in it. I placed it into my external drive adapter and HUH.. Readable data..
For Mechanical drives
3. Stop destroying perfectly good reusable hard drives
Quote:

+1. for spinning drives, overwriting all sectors renders the data impossible to recover even for determined attackers, AND avoids wasting perfectly fine hard drives. – JanErikGunnar Aug 16 '17 at 10:43

Cheers
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Data Destruction for Hard drives.. drilling a hole is not safe enough especially on SSD

Drilling a hole always seemed like such a cumbersome effort for such minimal damage. You'd need a drill and a power source where a plain hammer and 30 seconds of repressed memories would give you a complete shatter.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Peace of Mind
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

I have a bunch of old phones and hard drives I’ve pulled from laptops over the years.

What do you guys recommend as far as a) destroying the devices/drives and b) disposal?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I have a bunch of old phones and hard drives I’ve pulled from laptops over the years.

What do you guys recommend as far as a) destroying the devices/drives and b) disposal?

A lot of paper shredding companies also do hard drive shredding. Find one that will do it while you watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

HCl: Hydrochloric acid
HNO3: Nitric acid
H2SO4: Sulfuric acid
HBr: Hydrobromic acid
HI: Hydroiodic acid (also known as hydriodic acid)
HClO4: Perchloric acid
HClO3: Chloric acid
Blow torch.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Learn the safest cleaning techniques
Sell them to a person who needs an older device to get through
Or who at least will keep it in use

Just my humble opinion

It's not like cardboard. It is filled with millions of years of precious metals and took 1000s of gallons of water to produce etc.

If it doesn't work see if it has value on eBay as parts ****But don't sell a broken phone with your data still on it! Just shred that thing
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

You can boot from a live Linux disc or USB stick and use dd or shred from the command line or install nwipe from the repository to do the job from a gui. Gparted may also have some utility and it is usually already installed on most live distros.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

A lot of paper shredding companies also do hard drive shredding. Find one that will do it while you watch.

Thanks. I’ll look into that. I get some of the other DIY methods in here but disposal is still a concern for me (esp Lithium Ion batteries)
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
You can boot from a live Linux disc or USB stick and use dd or shred from the command line or install nwipe from the repository to do the job from a gui. Gparted may also have some utility and it is usually already installed on most live distros.

this - and than reuse your disks until they actually fail. Just don't forget backups..
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

This should do it
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Here is what their shredders look like. Quick and efficient.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: