Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Some brief initial thoughts that don’t contain plot spoilers but are presented in spoiler-text nonetheless:

This movie is a tremendous lesson in what happens when a filmmaker’s goal is to win over a twitter mob above all else. The people that decried TLJ’s heart, warmth, story, theme, and character got their wish because this thing has none of it.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Some brief initial thoughts that don’t contain plot spoilers but are presented in spoiler-text nonetheless:

This movie is a tremendous lesson in what happens when a filmmaker’s goal is to win over a twitter mob above all else. The people that decried TLJ’s heart, warmth, story, theme, and character got their wish because this thing has none of it.

Did TLJ have any of that? This is a lesson that maybe have a plan for you 4 billion dollar trilogy and dont figure out the story as you go along.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Did TLJ have any of that? This is a lesson that maybe have a plan for you 4 billion dollar trilogy and dont figure out the story as you go along.

Yes, it did, and people continue to misunderstand it for a variety of reasons. Caving to a very vocal and very ugly minority produced this film. I suspect they have satisfied nobody in the process.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Something tells me that Disney isn't exactly sweating it. They more than made back what they paid in the first year and everything that has followed has been pure profit.

The actual 9 part franchise was an albatross that is now complete. They will gladly take the snark from a couple hundred thousand die hard fans endlessly complaining as they pay to see the movie in theaters multiple times, buy a digital copy and always showing up for whatever has the Star Wars brand, while at the same time selling enough baby Yoda merch to the masses to fill the Marianis Trench several times over.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

opinion on the movie without any spoilers. This movie, like Avengers Endgame, was a ton of fan service. I enjoyed it but don't think that necessarily means it's a good movie; just a fun one.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Something tells me that Disney isn't exactly sweating it. They more than made back what they paid in the first year and everything that has followed has been pure profit.

The actual 9 part franchise was an albatross that is now complete. They will gladly take the snark from a couple hundred thousand die hard fans endlessly complaining as they pay to see the movie in theaters multiple times, buy a digital copy and always showing up for whatever has the Star Wars brand, while at the same time selling enough baby Yoda merch to the masses to fill the Marianis Trench several times over.

I highly doubt Disney has covered the costs of buying Star Wars. Everyone looks at the gross profits and assume thats what they take and they forget to take out the production costs, marketing, and the fact that they share profits with the theaters and forget that they spend about a billion building Galaxy's Edge. I wouldn't say that they are playing it cool. They should have either let George finish his vision or make movies that were separated from the OT because at best Disney comically fumbled the handling of Star Wars franchise.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
opinion on the movie without any spoilers. This movie, like Avengers Endgame, was a ton of fan service. I enjoyed it but don't think that necessarily means it's a good movie; just a fun one.

Most of the movie is fan service and trying to rectify what happened in TLJ.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
ocho wrote:

Hail Hydra!
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
ocho wrote:

I highly doubt Disney has covered the costs of buying Star Wars. Everyone looks at the gross profits and assume thats what they take and they forget to take out the production costs, marketing, and the fact that they share profits with the theaters and forget that they spend about a billion building Galaxy's Edge. I wouldn't say that they are playing it cool. They should have either let George finish his vision or make movies that were separated from the OT because at best Disney comically fumbled the handling of Star Wars franchise.

I look at all of that and yes, Disney has already more than made their money back.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Just read the entire plot for rise of Skywalker and I know how it ends.

I seriously hope this trilogy becomes uncannon somehow. The whole thing is just terrible. Just terrible. I feel like crying

Now that you guys have seen it.... am i right or AM I RIGHT.

look im all for equal rights and the changing of social norms but some story lines are just not meant to be touched. for ex: the terminator series it went from a kick ass sci fi series to a watered down plot confusing CGI production.

next is Star Wars. now I love what Lucas did through 1-6 and what Dave filoni did with the animation series and the mandalorian but what Disney gave us in 7-9 is absolute complete trash. I hope this becomes uncannon and 7-9 gets remade. this was ass to the maximum level.

star wars works only when your favorite characters are kept alive in a useful heart filled role. DON'T MESS WITH THAT STRUCTURE.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
999 wrote:
Just read the entire plot for rise of Skywalker and I know how it ends.

I seriously hope this trilogy becomes uncannon somehow. The whole thing is just terrible. Just terrible. I feel like crying

Now that you guys have seen it.... am i right or AM I RIGHT.

look im all for equal rights and the changing of social norms but some story lines are just not meant to be touched. for ex: the terminator series it went from a kick ass sci fi series to a watered down plot confusing CGI production.

next is Star Wars. now I love what Lucas did through 1-6 and what Dave filoni did with the animation series and the mandalorian but what Disney gave us in 7-9 is absolute complete trash. I hope this becomes uncannon and 7-9 gets remade. this was ass to the maximum level.

star wars works only when your favorite characters are kept alive in a useful heart filled role. DON'T MESS WITH THAT STRUCTURE.

It just seems like this trilogy was given a checklist by the marketing/business team and that's what the writer's committee got to work with. There wasn't a vision more of a how can we get the most people to watch these movies. Let me give you a hint Disney. Star Wars has been around for about 40 years. The people who are interested in Star Wars know where the series is at. They weren't going to win new fans over by check marking boxes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Solid 8/10

Didnt blow my socks off but they fixed a lot of the atrocities of episode 8.

There’s still a lot of stuff that makes no sense in comparison to the “rules” set by the older films, but they did attempt to have explanations for these things. Let this franchise rest for a few years. Keep up with the smaller story arcs like Mando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I can't get into discussing some of the complaints without bringing up spoilers so let's table this discussion until next week...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Solid 8/10

Will be interesting to monitor how typical this reaction is It’s quite possible a lot of other fans will be ok with the reality that nothing in this movie works because it hates the last movie as much as they did.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Solid 8/10

Will be interesting to monitor how typical this reaction is It’s quite possible a lot of other fans will be ok with the reality that nothing in this movie works because it hates the last movie as much as they did.

Disney definitely messed up by not having the same director/writer - be it Abrams or Johnson - do all 3 movies. They definitely don't match at all.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Solid 8/10

Disney definitely messed up by not having the same director/writer - be it Abrams or Johnson - do all 3 movies. They definitely don't match at all.

You could quite literally watch ep 7 then ep 9 and wouldn’t miss out on much now haha.

They def should have kept one director/vision for the entire trilogy

Rumor is it will be feige/Favreau for the next one set in the old republic. Fans calling for Keanu reeves to be Revan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Solid 8/10

I agreed. It shows... badly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Currently a 57% by critics and 86% by audience on RT
mykolbeta
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

5 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 9 > 7 > 2 > 8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

mykolbeta wrote:
5 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 9 > 7 > 2 > 8
agreed. 9 and 1 are like a tie for me
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

So I guess I should wait to watch it at home?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
So I guess I should wait to watch it at home?

I’d recommend theater experience. Maybe avoid the crowds if you can
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Solid 8/10

Eh. 3 different people could have worked out just fine. The main issue is that 2 of the 3 of these were made by JJ Abrams who isn’t good at this.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject:

7 and 8 were largely enjoyable films. I didn’t like 7 as much due to it being another Death Star story, but it was still a solid intro. 8 was pretty good too; don’t understand the hate it gets. 9 was a disaster. Don’t want to say anything to spoil the movie for anyone, but half my theatre in SF was laughing at all the dramatic scenes that were meant to be taken seriously due to how atrocious the writing was
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject:

Underwhelming. I didn't hate it. But I think TFA was the most enjoyable for me of the 3 most recent in this "trilogy". 6.75/10
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: