ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

ESPN is about as anti-Lakers as you can get. The sports media, in general, hates the big market teams, especially LA. To make it worse, most Americans hate California anyway, especially Los Angeles (Hollywood).

So, our Lakers are out here on an island, everybody everywhere hating on us.

My question then is this; why should we, as Laker fans on LG, just add to that hate?

Yes, we have been horrible for the past 6 seasons, but there were signs of success this season, and we are (potentially) in a great position for next season. But if we fans just confirm all the biased hate against OUR team, doesn't that make us, as Laker fans, seem even more pathetic? Won't this continued buy-in to this notion that our Lakers are sooo dysfunctional just make our team less desirable for superstars to want to come here?

I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people". If they read all this Laker hate coming from LAKER FANS...why in the hell would they think they'll get any support if they come here? And if we don't attract quality players, then we will just remain a non-playoff team for years to come. Is that what LG Laker fans want?

To make it worse, the local sports media reads the Laker hate on twitter and boards like LG and that just empowers them to continue with their Laker hate stories. We, as fans, are destroying our own chances of getting back on track.

I mean, can't we lighten up on OUR OWN TEAM, or is the LG fans' desire to trash the Lakers worth killing our chance of attracting quality players here?

Is it worth it?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

when posting here I keep in mind the these scrubs scour the lounge looking for dirt on the Lakers and try not to contribute ymmv
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ESPN doesn't hate big markets, they hate teams that they can't generate clicks and buzz from. But your premise is correct, we have both the best and the worst fans in the world.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

when you win and get a huge spotlight hate comes with it. Just like Yankees, Patriots, Lakers these teams will get alot of hate, it comes with it. I dont mind it tbh players still wanna play in LA and thats all that matters.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

It's a discussion board...
Muncy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Lol if you think ESPN hates the Lakers or Los Angeles, you’re outta your mind.

ESPN built a studio there just to better cover west coast sports. They put beat reporters from L.A. on almost all their talk/debate shows.

Like the person above said, this is what the media in general does when you are a high profile team. If you are good, they will make you seem like the greatest team in the universe (look how GS can do no wrong right now). When you are bad the only way they can get clicks is to embellish the toxicity of the team (an example would be the Knicks in recent years).

Basically, like with most things in sports, winning would solve how you think the media is portraying the team.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

ESPn doesn't hate LA, but they do want to cause chaos.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

As a Lakers fan, I dont see the point in "hating" my team.
We get mad because we want the team to succeed, I get that.

What I dont get though is hating on your own team just to be right. For instance, if you thought a certain decision would be bad for the Lakers, you hope for that decision to turn out bad for the sake of you being right.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people".

Why would you assume that?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people". If they read all this Laker hate coming from LAKER FANS...why in the hell would they think they'll get any support if they come here? And if we don't attract quality players, then we will just remain a non-playoff team for years to come. Is that what LG Laker fans want?

Don't worry. The average professional athlete thinks the average fan is an idiot.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

People were saying the things ESPN is saying now on LG months ago. How is talking about the truth hating?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

ESPN loves the Lakers. The most televised games even though sucking the last 6 seasons. The Jump and NBA Countdown are filmed from across the street from Staples. They constantly keep the Lakers a topic of conversation. Individuals might hate the Lakers (Rose, Woj, etc) but plenty don’t (Max, SAS, Momo).
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
It's a discussion board...

Then lets discuss...not constantly gripe and complain. There is a difference.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
ESPN is about as anti-Lakers as you can get. The sports media, in general, hates the big market teams, especially LA. To make it worse, most Americans hate California anyway, especially Los Angeles (Hollywood).

My question then is this; why should we, as Laker fans on LG, just add to that hate?

Yes, we have been horrible for the past 6 seasons, but there were signs of success this season, and we are (potentially) in a great position for next season. But if we fans just confirm all the biased hate against OUR team, doesn't that make us, as Laker fans, seem even more pathetic? Won't this continued buy-in to this notion that our Lakers are sooo dysfunctional just make our team less desirable for superstars to want to come here?

To make it worse, the local sports media reads the Laker hate on twitter and boards like LG and that just empowers them to continue with their Laker hate stories. We, as fans, are destroying our own chances of getting back on track.

I mean, can't we lighten up on OUR OWN TEAM, or is the LG fans' desire to trash the Lakers worth killing our chance of attracting quality players here?

Is it worth it?

Then what is the purpose of a sport board?

Coach Wooden
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Muncy wrote:
Lol if you think ESPN hates the Lakers or Los Angeles, you’re outta your mind.

ESPN built a studio there just to better cover west coast sports. They put beat reporters from L.A. on almost all their talk/debate shows.

Like the person above said, this is what the media in general does when you are a high profile team. If you are good, they will make you seem like the greatest team in the universe (look how GS can do no wrong right now). When you are bad the only way they can get clicks is to embellish the toxicity of the team (an example would be the Knicks in recent years).

Basically, like with most things in sports, winning would solve how you think the media is portraying the team.

Whatever resources ESPN deployed to cover the Lakers is not because they are Laker fans. ESPN and the media in generally LIVES for moments like this. Their clicks and market share probably tripled since last night. I remember the media's biased coverage when Kobe was accused of rape. ESPN loves to sell drama, that's all.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
I mean, I assume LG is viewed by NBA players, or their "people".

Why would you assume that?

The same reason why you go to social media, and/or come to LG. These players are young guys, many stuck on planes and buses sometimes for hours on in, stuck in boring cities in hotels, nothing much to do. I guarantee you they are breaking out their cell phones or laptops and getting on sports forums reading about what fans think about them, or about the team. Human curiosity is a natural tendency; NBA players, or their best friends, wives/gfs, or people in the 'pose' are not immuned from reading stuff about them, or their teams.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:

Don't worry. The average professional athlete thinks the average fan is an idiot.

After reading stuff on this board, well...
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
People were saying the things ESPN is saying now on LG months ago. How is talking about the truth hating?

Because negativity equates to hate, and nothing but negativity drives down the value of the franchise. Could be why we don't have PG here.
sonn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
KBH wrote:

Because negativity equates to hate, and nothing but negativity drives down the value of the franchise. Could be why we don't have PG here.

Yes, PG saw some negative posts on a message board and that was the deciding factor for him staying in OKC.

That is some Grade A (bleep).
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
troy wrote:

Is it worth it?

To discuss solutions to issues, not to constantly gripe about the same thing. Our, to celebrate successes (young cores development, cap space, Lebron just being here). Yeah, I get that griping is a part of it, but the idea, at least behind LG, is to not lay on the negativity so thick.

Why do you think LG MODS came up with the now defunct Piss and Moan thread?
missingkobe
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

ESPN ranked my hero Kobe at #12. If that's not hate, then what is?? Ok, FOX also rated him #12, so both ESPN and FOX really have it out for Kobe.

Everyone knows that ESPN hates Kobe and Lakers!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

sonn wrote:
troy wrote:
KBH wrote:

Yes, PG saw some negative posts on a message board and that was the deciding factor for him staying in OKC.

That is some Grade A (bleep).

No solely, Einstein, but possibly a contribution. PG wanted to come to the Lakers. Then he started getting bad intel from other NBA players (eg Brewer) about the Laker organization. And I'm sure he checked out some of the local media's twitter accounts and forums and pretty much made up his mind. He wanted to come, and then he decided not to. Something caused that to happen.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

ESPN is the Fox "News" of Sportsfandomdouchebros.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
As a Lakers fan, I dont see the point in "hating" my team.
We get mad because we want the team to succeed, I get that.

What I dont get though is hating on your own team just to be right. For instance, if you thought a certain decision would be bad for the Lakers, you hope for that decision to turn out bad for the sake of you being right.

I want internet points.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ESPN really hates the Lakers, should Laker fans contribute to the hate?

troy wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:

To discuss solutions to issues, not to constantly gripe about the same thing. Our, to celebrate successes (young cores development, cap space, Lebron just being here). Yeah, I get that griping is a part of it, but the idea, at least behind LG, is to not lay on the negativity so thick.

You don't spend much time on the Internet, do you?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: