Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 151 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 226

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Where's the quote from Ireland about trusting Linda Rambis? That's grounds for immediate resignation.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Where's the quote from Ireland about trusting Linda Rambis? That's grounds for immediate resignation.

Linda is her friend.
And Ireland said she was more of a confidant than a consultant.
Also that Jeannie gets info from others as well, not just Linda.
Sounded like it was blown out of proportion to me.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

Your post gives the game away, "gets info from others as well, not just Linda." That implies she's still getting advice from Linda.
The point is she shouldn't be getting literally any advice from Linda. Linda Rambis knows nothing about basketball and Kurt Rambis is homeless man's Phil Jackson -- and the Zen Master himself was an utter disaster as POBO.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

Your post gives the game away, "gets info from others as well, not just Linda." That implies she's still getting advice from Linda.
The point is she shouldn't be getting literally any advice from Linda. Linda Rambis knows nothing about basketball and Kurt Rambis is homeless man's Phil Jackson -- and the Zen Master himself was an utter disaster as POBO.

Who knows what type of dialogue they have.
Maybe she lends an ear as a friend.
Maybe they talk about what charity to support
Or other aspects of the business.
Where did this talk of Linda giving bball advice come from?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

But do you think it's true that Jeannie doesn't want Jerry West?
If true, I wonder if it was one of her dad's wishes that West doesn't cover back.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

The implication that if they were talking about charity, John Ireland wouldn't bother reporting such trivial news.

Then there are articles like this:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-luke-walton-20190412-story.html
Quote:
Second, it can now be confirmed that Buss and her shadow owner Linda Rambis exist in a purple-and-gold cocoon that has little touch with the reality outside Lakerland. Wait, you say, who is Linda Rambis? She is officially the Lakers’ executive director of special projects, but it’s the worst kept secret around the league that she helps run the team as Buss’ close friend, advisor and confidant.

Buss and Rambis, the wife of former Lakers hero Kurt Rambis, are reportedly in agreement that Pelinka is doing a good job, and that’s all that counts. Forget scouring the league for some great basketball mind. Forget finding a deft scout and popular recruiter who can lead the Lakers into what could be the most important summer of their existence. They are sticking with a negotiator who helped build a team that has averaged 36 wins in each of his two seasons while seemingly alienating most of the league with his methods.

Yeah Plaschke is trash, but then you have stories like this:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-forum-move-20190314-story.html
Quote:
The day before the Clippers announced plans to explore building an arena in Inglewood, business mogul Irving Azoff floated an idea to Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and top advisor Linda Rambis about a move that could undercut the Clippers and prompt a seismic shift in the Los Angeles sports landscape.

You can argue this just suggests she's talking about the business side of things with Linda Rambis, but it's reason to be concerned. If Rambis is not giving basketball advice I retract my statement, but this is more smoke

Last edited by tox on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
If true, I wonder if it was one of her dad's wishes that West doesn't cover back.

Jeanie knows how to play the media game. If it were that, it'd have been leaked to Ramona. Occam's Razor points to one thing.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

If not Linda Rambis, who does advise Jeanie on basketball related matters?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Jeanie knows how to play the media game. If it were that, it'd have been leaked to Ramona. Occam's Razor points to one thing.
Pelinka doesn’t want West for the same reason Phil didn’t want him. Jeanie is deferential to both.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

The implication that if they were talking about charity, John Ireland wouldn't bother reporting such trivial news.

Then there are articles like this:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-luke-walton-20190412-story.html
Quote:
Second, it can now be confirmed that Buss and her shadow owner Linda Rambis exist in a purple-and-gold cocoon that has little touch with the reality outside Lakerland. Wait, you say, who is Linda Rambis? She is officially the Lakers’ executive director of special projects, but it’s the worst kept secret around the league that she helps run the team as Buss’ close friend, advisor and confidant.

Buss and Rambis, the wife of former Lakers hero Kurt Rambis, are reportedly in agreement that Pelinka is doing a good job, and that’s all that counts. Forget scouring the league for some great basketball mind. Forget finding a deft scout and popular recruiter who can lead the Lakers into what could be the most important summer of their existence. They are sticking with a negotiator who helped build a team that has averaged 36 wins in each of his two seasons while seemingly alienating most of the league with his methods.

Yeah Plaschke is trash, but then you have stories like this:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-forum-move-20190314-story.html
Quote:
The day before the Clippers announced plans to explore building an arena in Inglewood, business mogul Irving Azoff floated an idea to Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and top advisor Linda Rambis about a move that could undercut the Clippers and prompt a seismic shift in the Los Angeles sports landscape.

You can argue this just suggests she's talking about the business side of things with Linda Rambis, but it's reason to be concerned. If Rambis is not giving basketball advice I retract my statement, but this is more smoke

Smoke and fire sure.
Again what bball decisions did Linda advise on? And what bball decisions did Jeannie even make? I'm not saying it's not true, it's just that I'd want more news to come out.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

What decisions has Jeannie been making these days anyway
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

Where did this talk of Linda
giving bball advice come from?

I would expect it to include everything from hiring a President of Basketball Operations on down.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Smoke and fire sure.
Again what bball decisions did Linda advise on? And what bball decisions did Jeannie even make? I'm not saying it's not true, it's just that I'd want more news to come out.

We have plenty of bball decisions to make with an inexperienced and disliked GM, I'm concerned with the future of the franchise as opposed to any specific past decisions. If Jeanie hires Jerry West to run the org, then she can talk to Linda about whatever she wants and I wouldn't care. If she hires our POBO (say, Kurt Rambis) based on what Linda tells her, then yeah there's a problem.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
tox wrote:

Linda is her friend.

Where did this talk of Linda
giving bball advice come from?

I would expect it to include everything from hiring a President of Basketball Operations on down.

I was under the impression that magic and Rob were doing the bball decisions the last couple of years
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Smoke and fire sure.

We have plenty of bball decisions to make with an inexperienced and disliked GM, I'm concerned with the future of the franchise as opposed to any specific past decisions. If Jeanie hires Jerry West to run the org, then she can talk to Linda about whatever she wants and I wouldn't care. If she hires our POBO (say, Kurt Rambis) based on what Linda tells her, then yeah there's a problem.

Yea. Future decisions definitely.
The future is on her in terms of who she puts in charge of the bball decisions.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
As I opined in this space the other day, despite the fact that the Buss family owns the team, the Lakers are in many ways a public trust. Jeanie Buss is the head of the franchise because that’s what her father wanted, and based on that I assume the good doctor thought she was the most qualified of his children to take that mantle.

Well, Dr. Buss has been gone for 6 years, and we haven’t made the playoffs for 6 years. I have been rooting for Jeanie and given her every benefit of the doubt along the way.

Up until two years ago we were told endlessly, including by Jeanie in a few ominous interviews, that it was all Jim’s fault. Well, he’s gone now, and Jeanie and apparently her BFF Linda Rambis are running the team. So are they up to the task or not?

Magic leaving the way he did was a disaster and unfair to Jeanie for him to do that, and the way he did it. But she’s in charge now, so it’s up to her to figure it out and get it done. Or not.

To date, she has done nothing imo to justify the faith that her father placed in her. So it seems to this Laker fan that it’s time for her to produce results. That’s business. The fact that she’s a woman is meaningless to me. She’s in charge, and the success/failure of the team is her responsibility in the end.

If she’s not up to the task, then she should sell the team. This organization is now undeniably a train wreck. It’s up to Jeanie Buss to fix it or get out. The end.

The fact of the matter is.. the Lakers organization isn't a public trust. You, nor I have any say on who runs or sells their ownership stake.

I'm not talking in literal terms here as I'm sure you're aware. But they are indeed a public trust in the figurative sense, in terms of their dependency on the support of their fans in Los Angeles, the team's overall financial/emotional impact on the L.A. area, and also the fact that they have fans around the globe.

Jeanie Buss can obviously do what she wants insofar as her role in the ownership/organizational structure permits. But she also has a tacit obligation to the org and its stakeholders - and fans - to do a good job. Not to mention honoring the great leadership provided by her late father, which I'm assuming is something that would be important to her.

As a Lakers fan of over 50 years now, I'm deeply disappointed in what we've been witnessing the past few years. And the way Magic Johnson departed the team last week was an utter disgrace. Jeanie Buss has been in charge of the org since her father passed away in 2013. Magic left her looking silly, and the brother is no longer there to take the blame for the problems. It's on Jeanie now, and her next decisions had better be good ones, lest the public who's trust is at stake starts voting with their wallets.

Just because something is one way today doesn't mean it will be that way tomorrow. The Lakers have enjoyed the trust of their public for decades. But that trust can and will erode if things don't get better.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
It's on Jeanie now, and her next decisions had better be good ones, lest the public who's trust is at stake starts voting with their wallets.

The Lakers could be crappy for a lot longer without feeling any financial repercussions. They have a long, long, long wait for season seats, and their TV deal runs through for at least another decade.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
As I opined in this space the other day, despite the fact that the Buss family owns the team, the Lakers are in many ways a public trust. Jeanie Buss is the head of the franchise because that’s what her father wanted, and based on that I assume the good doctor thought she was the most qualified of his children to take that mantle.

Well, Dr. Buss has been gone for 6 years, and we haven’t made the playoffs for 6 years. I have been rooting for Jeanie and given her every benefit of the doubt along the way.

Up until two years ago we were told endlessly, including by Jeanie in a few ominous interviews, that it was all Jim’s fault. Well, he’s gone now, and Jeanie and apparently her BFF Linda Rambis are running the team. So are they up to the task or not?

Magic leaving the way he did was a disaster and unfair to Jeanie for him to do that, and the way he did it. But she’s in charge now, so it’s up to her to figure it out and get it done. Or not.

To date, she has done nothing imo to justify the faith that her father placed in her. So it seems to this Laker fan that it’s time for her to produce results. That’s business. The fact that she’s a woman is meaningless to me. She’s in charge, and the success/failure of the team is her responsibility in the end.

If she’s not up to the task, then she should sell the team. This organization is now undeniably a train wreck. It’s up to Jeanie Buss to fix it or get out. The end.

The fact of the matter is.. the Lakers organization isn't a public trust. You, nor I have any say on who runs or sells their ownership stake.

I'm not talking in literal terms here as I'm sure you're aware. But they are indeed a public trust in the figurative sense, in terms of their dependency on the support of their fans in Los Angeles, the team's overall financial/emotional impact on the L.A. area, and also the fact that they have fans around the globe.

Jeanie Buss can obviously do what she wants insofar as her role in the ownership/organizational structure permits. But she also has a tacit obligation to the org and its stakeholders - and fans - to do a good job. Not to mention honoring the great leadership provided by her late father, which I'm assuming is something that would be important to her.

As a Lakers fan of over 50 years now, I'm deeply disappointed in what we've been witnessing the past few years. And the way Magic Johnson departed the team last week was an utter disgrace. Jeanie Buss has been in charge of the org since her father passed away in 2013. Magic left her looking silly, and the brother is no longer there to take the blame for the problems. It's on Jeanie now, and her next decisions had better be good ones, lest the public who's trust is at stake starts voting with their wallets.

Just because something is one way today doesn't mean it will be that way tomorrow. The Lakers have enjoyed the trust of their public for decades. But that trust can and will erode if things don't get better.

A public trust in a figurative sense, is meaningless. It's like manufacturing value to an idea that doesn't have any. My point is no one has any say on what she decides to do with her ownership stake.

You and others are frustrated and that frustration is totally valid. But to suggest she divests her ownership stake to appease you is an absurd notion. It will never happen.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I don’t even understand how Jeanne can even be a fan... same as she said to me.

1-Approved shunning of long time Laker great logo proven winner Jerry West, now why would her and Magic not accept his help? I believe they are willing to risk losing so they can take all the credit. Don’t think a real fan would do that.

2-Word is that even tho Lue has appeared in 4 championships as a coach and won a title, he is not wanted because Jeanne doesn’t want it to look like LeBron is running the team, not because they are looking for best candidate. Don’t think a real fan would do that.

I believe I want this team to win more than they do. So, I know that there won’t be a single person disappointed and I know...good riddance and don’t let the door hit me...

But even tho i didn’t like recently their moves, I’m doing like Magic and Luke, after 40 Years....

I quit
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
It's on Jeanie now, and her next decisions had better be good ones, lest the public who's trust is at stake starts voting with their wallets.

The Lakers could be crappy for a lot longer without feeling any financial repercussions. They have a long, long, long wait for season seats, and their TV deal runs through for at least another decade.

Agreed, but if they suck for that decade - which, let's face it, with the current ownership/management seems a horrifying possibility - all of that could be tough for the org to maintain going forward.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

A public trust in a figurative sense, is meaningless. It's like manufacturing value to an idea that doesn't have any. My point is no one has any say on what she decides to do with her ownership stake.

You and others are frustrated and that frustration is totally valid. But to suggest she divests her ownership stake to appease you is an absurd notion. It will never happen.

I'm not looking for Jeanie to appease me. I'm looking for her to produce results for the team and its fanbase. That's her publicly stated goal, and it's not meaningless. I'm guessing she doesn't think it's meaningless either, otherwise why would she say it?

See Redskins, Washington and Snyder, Dan for what can happen to an organization and its fanbase once said fanbase realizes the organization is being run by a buffoon.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I like how you tried to re-frame my position.. it's not an honest way to have an exchange here. I'm sure it was intentional as well..

I clearly stated that a "public trust in a figurative sense" is meaningless. I didn't say anything about her publicly stated goal being meaningless.

Everything else you stated has nothing to do with my point.

You have absolutely no right to determine or decide what anyone does with their ownership of any property or trust. These demands and ultimatums are ridiculous.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Broussard says Lakers are doing things backwards by not having a FO in place first

CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
I like how you tried to re-frame my position.. it's not an honest way to have an exchange here. I'm sure it was intentional as well..

I clearly stated that a "public trust in a figurative sense" is meaningless. I didn't say anything about her publicly stated goal being meaningless.

You have absolutely no right to determine or decide what anyone does with their ownership of any property or trust. These demands and ultimatums are ridiculous.

You’re just twaddling on with semantics. “Honest way to have an exchange”. Whatever.

Jeanie Buss is now presiding over a train wreck. Thank you for your brilliant and incisive conclusion that I don’t have the right to demand and issue ultimatums that Ms. Buss divest herself of her ownership. LOL

I’m just a Lakers fan that’s weary of the mismanagement of the org which has been going on for quite some time now. I post on here from time to time. I’m not required to worry about whether or not you like what I post.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

You’re just twaddling on with semantics. “Honest way to have an exchange”. Whatever.

Jeanie Buss is now presiding over a train wreck. Thank you for your brilliant and incisive conclusion that I don’t have the right to demand and issue ultimatums that Ms. Buss divest herself of her ownership. LOL

I’m just a Lakers fan that’s weary of the mismanagement of the org which has been going on for quite some time now. I post on here from time to time. I’m not required to worry about whether or not you like what I post.

And you veer completely into left field when you find yourself in a position where you can't mount a legitimate argument to what was actually being discussed.

This clearly wasn't a matter of semantics.. you failed miserably at trying to reshape my position. And yes, it's a dishonest way of communicating.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15
Jump to: