Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 151 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 226

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Magic not the problem....Jeanie is!!

kobe_luver wrote:
I am shocked most here at LG are so happy Magic is gone when it is reported the reason was because he was frustrated that he couldn't fire Luke (and now Pelinka).

People are happy because they didn't like Magic's strategy, the way he conducted himself, and many of the decisions he made.

And many of those people would like Jeanie and Luke to be gone too.

Personally, I don't think the problems were due to one person. But I didn't think Magic was a good GM, and I don't mind him being replaced.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

Sexism??? How is anything I said due to sexism?

By the way....I am a woman myself.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:

If you think she's bad at her job, that's fine. But all these comments about her being too emotional, making decisions based on relationships, turning the front office into a girls club with Linda, etc. just smell of subtle sexism to me.

Well, she's hiring people with no experience to high-level jobs based on her personal relationships with them. She's consulting Linda Rambis, who has no basketball operations experience, to help her make decisions relating to the basketball operations side. There's nothing sexist about it. She's not performing at her job. It's sexist to act like she shouldn't be criticized for these things. They deserve criticism whether it's a man or a woman. Dolan has been criticized for stuff like this for years.

Again, it's fine to think she's bad at her job, but the way some here are going about criticizing her is different than I've seen for anyone else in that position. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:

If you think she's bad at her job, that's fine. But all these comments about her being too emotional, making decisions based on relationships, turning the front office into a girls club with Linda, etc. just smell of subtle sexism to me.

Well, she's hiring people with no experience to high-level jobs based on her personal relationships with them. She's consulting Linda Rambis, who has no basketball operations experience, to help her make decisions relating to the basketball operations side. There's nothing sexist about it. She's not performing at her job. It's sexist to act like she shouldn't be criticized for these things. They deserve criticism whether it's a man or a woman. Dolan has been criticized for stuff like this for years.

I would argue not holding her to the same standards of criticism for being the NBA's worst team record-wise in the past 6 years is the definition of being sexist.

She deserves blame where it's due, although I would add she really only began asserting her authority a couple of years ago, so it's hard to throw the last 6 years solely on her.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
Username wrote:

I would argue not holding her to the same standards of criticism for being the NBA's worst team record-wise in the past 6 years is the definition of being sexist.

She deserves blame where it's due, although I would add she really only began asserting her authority a couple of years ago, so it's hard to throw the last 6 years solely on her.

I'm not agreeing with the OP, but she deserves a large part of the blame pie, especially if she is likely the last one standing after everyone else is canned/resigned, etc.

The buck ultimately stops with her, and she wanted it that way after ousting her brother. So does it stop with her or is she willing to give that responsibility to someone else?
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.

Criticize Magic = racism.

Criticize Jeannie = sexism.

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.

Who said anything about racism with Magic? If you need to create straw men to help your argument, maybe you should re-think your argument.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
She needs to be given the same 4 year window standard jim buss got. If we're not in the conference finals in 4 years, then it's time for her to be forced out. And it's been 2 years now. 2 years left.

The only people who can give her a deadline are 1. Herself or 2. Her family members.

Either scenario strikes me as unlikely. At this point, I'd say the chances of us being in the conference finals in two years are slim, and the chance of Jeanie being gone anytime soon are next to nil.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

they both are problems. the world is not one or the other
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Who said anything about racism with Magic? If you need to create straw men to help your argument, maybe you should re-think your argument.

have you not perused the many threads? There are folks literally arguing this point.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:

My point is that she is certainly open to a lot of criticism. There have been many people coming in/out of the FO the past 6 years, and she has been the constant at the top.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Linda Rambis has a say in FO hirings? really? Lakers are the laughingstock of the NBA.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

My point is that she is certainly open to a lot of criticism. There have been many people coming in/out of the FO the past 6 years, and she has been the constant at the top.

No doubt she's open to criticism. But the way it's being done by some on this forum is uncalled for. Go to the Luke Walton thread and look at some of the recent posts on the last page, if you want an example of what I'm talking about.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

Jeanie has a 100% veto. She's responsible for every move the club makes. She hired the decision makers, so just like Luke with his staff, their quality is a direct reflection on the top of the org chart.

That said, hiring the right Pres will mostly take Jeanie out of the equation if she has learned to stay out of the way.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers will be in the same boat next year with Pelinka and LUke in charge and Jeanie meddling. We will have wasted another year of lebron. Lebron will probably be demanding a trade then. Bookmark it.

Last edited by socalsp3 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Like you said to another poster, he's not talking about you specifically. I've heard people call sexism and racism about the people in power in our organization before.

Look we all joke on this website about alot of things cause well we are guys but I bet the overwhelming majority of the people who want Jeanie gone is just straight talk.

I'm still willing to give her till the end of the summer before I decide what bandwagon I'm joining.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

What a joke of a thread. Magic bailed on Jeanie. As of last night, he still hadn't even spoken with her. This is on Magic and RP. You can say it's her fault for hiring them, but the vast majority thought it was a blessing at the time.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
What a joke of a thread. Magic bailed on Jeanie. As of last night, he still hadn't even spoken with her. This is on Magic and RP. You can say it's her fault for hiring them, but the vast majority thought it was a blessing at the time.

Nah, Jeanie is the CEO and owner of the team. She gets the blame. It starts from the top down. She blocked Magic from making the correct move in firing Rob and Luke because of her emotions towards them being "Laker family" She continues to make bad hires and from the sounds of it seems be easily manipulated and taken advantage of.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Jeanie was around for Jim/Mitch, then Magic/Rob, and whoever replaces Magic/Rob.

She has been the constant. We can blame the Departed as much as we want but she has always hovered above them all.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeanie was around for Jim/Mitch, then Magic/Rob, and whoever replaces Magic/Rob.

She has been the constant. We can blame the Departed as much as we want but she has always hovered above them all.

She had no say in the Jim and Mitch era. Dr. Buss put Jim in charge of basketball operations and she sat off to the side and let him do his thing. The only hires you can directly relate to her are Magic and Rob.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
How about both?

Seriously. Why are people so focused on finding just one person to blame? Jeanie may ultimately the cause of the organizational problems we have, but Magic's combination of ineptitude and big talk caused their own problems.

It's this binary, social media-driven, hot take culture we're in. No sort of nuance at all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

She had no say in the Jim and Mitch era. Dr. Buss put Jim in charge of basketball operations and she sat off to the side and let him do his thing. The only hires you can directly relate to her are Magic and Rob.

"No say..." I'm not sure about that.

My point is, at some juncture you take the credit/blame as the highest person on the org chart. For that, there is a lot of fair criticism. You can call out the individuals making actual sexist comments, but other legit criticism cannot be shielded by that.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

"No say..." I'm not sure about that.

My point is, at some juncture you take the credit/blame as the highest person on the org chart. For that, there is a lot of fair criticism. You can call out the individuals making actual sexist comments, but other legit criticism cannot be shielded by that.

Sure, if you think Magic and Rob were bad hires, that is completely understandable and valid. It's a matter of opinion. My counter to that would be it's too soon to judge any of these moves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15
Jump to: