Thank you, Magic Johnson!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Thank you, Magic Johnson!

Magic Johnson did the job he was supposed to do. He cleaned up the prior regime's mess, he got a superstar here, he drafted a solid young core, and he got the Lakers plenty of cap space. He was very successful in what he was supposed to do, and for that, I thank him. He's leaving because he bit off more than he can chew, and he got himself into a job that suffocated the true him. That's totally understandable.

As far as player signings, Pelinka is the GM. Whatever players we let go, or failed to get, has to be contributed to the successes and/or failures of the GM. Not sure where I stand on him yet, but I do think he has let Magic take too much of the credit for things that have happened both good and bad. Pelinka has been painfully quiet, too quiet. GMs should be the talkers out there, while presidents stay in the background. Don't know if Pelinka allowed this to happen, but it happened.

As far as on-court success, that's on Luke and the players. Injuries were a big part of it, but the young core didn't step up right after Lebron went down, and the vets had an up and down season. Although I support Luke, I don't think he has the right assistant coaches. His Lakers team failed to improve on free throws, outside shooting, and just playing with fire and desperation. There were times when the Lakers didn't feel like a team, but more a collection of players just out there playing. That could be youth, that could be something else. I don't really know.

But from my perspective, Magic was very successful. No amount of whining from arrogant, entitled and basketball-ignorant Laker fans, and the agenda crazy anti-Laker media bias (which LG fans contribute too) will change that.

Of course, the media will be circling like vultures now, doing what they do, trying to invent drama when Magic Johnson voluntarily held a 1-hour press conference explaining everything people need to know. I'm not a Donald Trump supporter, but I do agree on his take on the media; they, and especially the likes of the ESPN sports media hacks, are pure instigators who circumvent facts to create drama, and spread lies and rumors, simply to appease the flawed and ignorant.

Speaking of flawed and ignorant, the frustrated Laker fans here on LG and elsewhere will certainly be clinging to their panties and screaming like frantic women, showcasing their ignorance so that all the anti-Laker fans around our country can just sit back and laugh at them like the fools they are, effectively spreading Laker hate upon their own team and doing the work of the Celtic, Clippers, and other anti-Laker fans. You can't hide stupid.

I do still believe my Lakers will sign the right players this off season, and I do believe we will be formidable next season. And we are in this position because of the brilliance of Earvin Magic Johnson.

Thank you, Magic. Thanks for being a Laker for life, for your passion to my Lakers and to the LA community, and for all that you have done, and will do. You have my respect, and always will. Period, and you can dot that "i".

Last edited by troy on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

Don’t worry, be happy Magic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

I'm glad he stepped down. I can fondly remember him as Showtime Magic instead.

I will humbly disagree with your post but to each their own. I still choose to thank Magic for the Showtime years and everything b/f he stepped into the role he stepped down from yesterday.

Calling other fans here stupid and insulting is beneath you. If things were great Magic would not have left his position.
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

TBH was a great player,
Front Office, Coach I don't think so.
I just don't think he had the drive.
Glad he stepped down TBH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Magic.

Respect.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for emptying the cupboard of promising young players. For nothing.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

troy, although I don't like a lot of what he did while running our FO, I see where you're coming from with being angry with all the disrespectful (bleep) some here have been spewing. It's one thing to critique his flaws as team president (which I myself have done numerous times), but it's another thing to disrespect the man with some of the bile and personal attacks I've seen here.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

what a flawed, ignorant, frantic, panty clinging post.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

We'll see.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Cupboards aren't empty while we still have BI and Zo, who imo can reach the level that DLo and Randle have.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Magic!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

Not a very good tenure as a POBO, if you ask me.

I'll just go back to loving Magic Johnson, the greatest basketball player of all time.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Cupboards aren't empty while we still have BI and Zo, who imo can reach the level that DLo and Randle have.

If no one comes here, he's right. It was a risky move done by Magic.

Personally, I would have cleared the cupboard myself for KL and or AD.

To each his own.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

To each his own.

I don’t think it really matters. Lakers weren’t winning a championship capped out with Randle, DLo and Nance anyway.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

Nah.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Not a very good tenure as a POBO, if you ask me.

I'll just go back to loving Magic Johnson, the greatest basketball player of all time.

Best ever? I wouldn't put him ahead of Bird and Kareem. Let alone Jordan and Kobe. But to each their own.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Do it Mitch! wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

To each his own.

I don’t think it really matters. Lakers weren’t winning a championship capped out with Randle, DLo and Nance anyway.

some guys wanted to stick with them, different strokes...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

Kareem
Jordan
Lebron
Magic
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

Great post Troy!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Imagine having all 4 reach that level. We might actually be good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

To each his own.

Neither were coming. And due to cutting young players and not paying them, a trade for either would mean trading 4-5 players for 1. That isn’t realistic. At least Mitch was experienced enough to know that having salary ballast was important, we got Pau and two titles as a result.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you, Magic Johnson!

troy wrote:
Magic Johnson did the job he was supposed to do. He cleaned up the prior regime's mess, he got a superstar here, he drafted a solid young core, and he got the Lakers plenty of cap space. He was very successful in what he was supposed to do, and for that, I thank him. He's leaving because he bit off more than he can chew, and he got himself into a job that suffocated the true him. That's totally understandable.

As far as player signings, Pelinka is the GM. Whatever players we let go, or failed to get, has to be contributed to the successes and/or failures of the GM. Not sure where I stand on him yet, but I do think he has let Magic take too much of the credit for things that have happened both good and bad. Pelinka has been painfully quiet, too quiet. GMs should be the talkers out there, while presidents stay in the background. Don't know if Pelinka allowed this to happen, but it happened.

As far as on-court success, that's on Luke and the players. Injuries were a big part of it, but the young core didn't step up right after Lebron went down, and the vets had an up and down season. Although I support Luke, I don't think he has the right assistant coaches. His Lakers team failed to improve on free throws, outside shooting, and just playing with fire and desperation. There were times when the Lakers didn't feel like a team, but more a collection of players just out there playing. That could be youth, that could be something else. I don't really know.

But from my perspective, Magic was very successful. No amount of whining from arrogant, entitled and basketball-ignorant Laker fans, and the agenda crazy anti-Laker media bias (which LG fans contribute too) will change that.

Of course, the media will be circling like vultures now, doing what they do, trying to invent drama when Magic Johnson voluntarily held a 1-hour press conference explaining everything people need to know. I'm not a Donald Trump supporter, but I do agree on his take on the media; they, and especially the likes of the ESPN sports media hacks, are pure instigators who circumvent facts to create drama, and spread lies and rumors, simply to appease the flawed and ignorant.

Speaking of flawed and ignorant, the frustrated Laker fans here on LG and elsewhere will certainly be clinging to their panties and screaming like frantic women, showcasing their ignorance so that all the anti-Laker fans around our country can just sit back and laugh at them like the fools they are, effectively spreading Laker hate upon their own team and doing the work of the Celtic, Clippers, and other anti-Laker fans. You can't hide stupid.

I do still believe my Lakers will sign the right players this off season, and I do believe we will be formidable next season. And we are in this position because of the brilliance of Earvin Magic Johnson.

Thank you, Magic. Thanks for being a Laker for life, for your passion to my Lakers and to the LA community, and for all that you have done, and will do. You have my respect, and always will. Period, and you can dot that "i".

i dont necessarily agree with the women panties part. but aside from that. you are 100% correct.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

To each his own.

Neither were coming. And due to cutting young players and not paying them, a trade for either would mean trading 4-5 players for 1. That isn’t realistic. At least Mitch was experienced enough to know that having salary ballast was important, we got Pau and two titles as a result.

and Deng...Mozgov.

you sure AD or KL won't be a Laker?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Imagine having all 4 reach that level. We might actually be good.
but not good enough.

lets go back to the Nick the quick, eddie jones, elden campbell, era along with shaq and rookie kobe.

eddie..gone, nick...gone, elden gone.

eddie and nick became allstars. still gone.

what does that mean? it means sometimes you need even more than all stars.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

Great post Troy. Class move! I find it ironic some who were proponents and supported two of the worst signings in modern day basketball history still continue to crucify the man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: