Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

Short answer: YES.

Or the Busses didnt like West getting so much credit as a GM?
Or maybe she doesn't hold a grudge at all.

It's known she is holding a grudge towards Jerry West.

Happen to know why?

She isn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Lots of soap opera stuff, but ignores reality.

The crux of the West-Buss situation is: money.

Dr. Buss was not generous to his non-player employees. West felt disrespected because Buss wasn't paying him what the top GMs were getting. Depending on who you listen to, Buss supposedly promised West either a bonus or a piece of the team (like Magic had) if the Lakers won the 2000 Finals. The Lakers won, West got stiffed and he "retired."

It also didn't help that Dr. Buss brought his ne'er-do-well son, Jim, in to "intern" under West and was made a VP/Ass't GM without West's input. PJax didn't exactly improve the situation, either, but the bottom line was $$$. West is a prideful dude and wasn't coming back. With Dr. Buss dead, however, I guess he's softened.

West is the one who left the team. First, after Buss bought the team, West quit when Buss hired Jack McKinney as head coach. Buss wanted West to stick around so he placated West with a part-time advisor/scout gig. West came back to replace Bill Sharman as GM in 82.

You know what i thought long and hard.....maybe since she still got a grudge against WEST and west for the secound time wanted to come back...and true to her nature of being a IDT....Maybe she will hire the BEST person for the job...Philllllll Jackson!!!!...come onnnnnnnn dowwwwwnnn!!!!! LMAO!! Now that sounds like something she might do.....take the lakers right into the titanic...FULLL STEAMMMM AHEAD!!!!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

There is a petition going around to help bring Bob Myers to the Lakers...

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

Short answer: YES.

Or the Busses didnt like West getting so much credit as a GM?
Or maybe she doesn't hold a grudge at all.

It's known she is holding a grudge towards Jerry West.

Happen to know why?

She isn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Lots of soap opera stuff, but ignores reality.

The crux of the West-Buss situation is: money.

Dr. Buss was not generous to his non-player employees. West felt disrespected because Buss wasn't paying him what the top GMs were getting. Depending on who you listen to, Buss supposedly promised West either a bonus or a piece of the team (like Magic had) if the Lakers won the 2000 Finals. The Lakers won, West got stiffed and he "retired."

West is the one who left the team. First, after Buss bought the team, West quit when Buss hired Jack McKinney as head coach. Buss wanted West to stick around so he placated West with a part-time advisor/scout gig. West came back to replace Bill Sharman as GM in 82.

I'm keeping this knowledge. Some things that go on, we would have just had to be there at the time because we might not find the information anywhere. It's just something we know because we were paying attention at the time. So I'm a keep all of this in my memory bank. Reading Laker books is also really telling, but I digress. From what I know, West left the team in 2000 and Jeanie left after the loss to Detroit in the finals. I actually only heard about West leaving over money from Stephen A. West said he left because of Phil. He said he was hospitalized by how he was treated by him. He said Phil used to patronize him. That's when he said it didn't feel like the Lakers anymore, and decided to split.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Jeanie left after the loss to Detroit in the finals.

You might want to check your sources or your memory. They lost to Detroit in June of 2004. Jeanie was named "Top 20 Female Executives" in February of 2005. If she left, it was only for a minute.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Jeanie left after the loss to Detroit in the finals.

You might want to check your sources or your memory. They lost to Detroit in June of 2004. Jeanie was named "Top 20 Female Executives" in February of 2005. If she left, it was only for a minute.

No, she said she left the organization, not me. She's my source. Now, maybe they didn't make it public, for the sake of her father and his business... Or maybe Dr. Buss didn't wanna replace her, but she was away from the organization.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I definitely expect Arn Vellum to join this organization.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Sam Amick was on 710, said Lakers did not reach out to Griffin. They are shooting for someone bigger. Take it fwiw...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Sam Amick was on 710, said Lakers did not reach out to Griffin. They are shooting for someone bigger. Take it fwiw...

Music to my ears
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully it’s 1 of

Bob Myers
Masai Ujriri
Jerry West
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I am hard on Popovich, but if you wonder why he is successful, read this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty

We need a leader who can exude that human element that makes guys want to lay it on the line for him.

The Spurs aren't perfect, but 23 years in a row or whatever it is in the playoffs is pretty dang impressive.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I am hard on Popovich, but if you wonder why he is successful, read this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty

We need a leader who can exude that human element that makes guys want to lay it on the line for him.

The Spurs aren't perfect, but 23 years in a row or whatever it is in the playoffs is pretty dang impressive.

I wish Pops were 20 years younger. Or that Dr. Buss had the foresight to snatch him up when he was still coaching at Pomona College. Oh well.

I guess the question is ... which coach out there is really like that? Does Sean McVay have a basketball coach buddy?
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

"My understanding is that Magic will be replaced at some point... I don't know what that means for Rob Pelinka... I think you need to secure the front office first, and empower those people, and then focus on the coach." @sam_amick with @SedanoESPN on #TheSedanoShow
LFAN4LIFE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Tid bits from Sam Amick interview:

-My understanding is Magic will be replaced at some point. After that, I dont know what means for Rob Pelinka

-You need to hire POBO definitely before Coaching hire. That option is kind of not there for them cause if that do that, good coaches may not be available to them also.

-Timing was very tough when Magic stepped down

-Lakers are doing good job of keeping intel behind closed doors

-Did hear Lakers never even called David Griffin

-They are shooting for higher people than David Griffin. I don't know names but they feel they can get any interview they want. Don't know if going after elite will bear any fruit, but interesting names that are being tossed around

-Is it real possibility someone is guiding them from shadows? I have heard that yes, but I don't know how much legs it has.

-Kobe has tons of influence on jeanie and this organization, he was apart of her firing her brother.

-We have noise of progress on coaching front but not much clarity every where else

-Jeanie will pull out every plan in the playbook to make things right, I think
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks LFAN4LIFE
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Thanks LFAN4LIFE
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

LFAN4LIFE wrote:

-My understanding is Magic will be replaced at some point. After that, I dont know what means for Rob Pelinka

-You need to hire POBO definitely before Coaching hire. That option is kind of not there for them cause if that do that, good coaches may not be available to them also.

-They are shooting for higher people than David Griffin. I don't know names but they feel they can get any interview they want. Don't know if going after elite will bear any fruit, but interesting names that are being tossed around

-Is it real possibility someone is guiding them from shadows? I have heard that yes, but I don't know how much legs it has.

-Kobe has tons of influence on jeanie and this organization, he was apart of her firing her brother.

-We have noise of progress on coaching front but not much clarity every where else

Interesting stuff...

Looks like some of the noise about Jeanie actually going after a high level PBO is real. Maybe it's Arn Tellem. Still hoping its Presti and/or Jerry West.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LFAN4LIFE wrote:

Interesting stuff...

Looks like some of the noise about Jeanie actually going after a high level PBO is real. Maybe it's Arn Tellem. Still hoping its Presti and/or Jerry West.

I wouldn’t consider Arn Tellem a high level PBO... I will be surprised if he’s the guy we are targeting.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
2019 wrote:
LFAN4LIFE wrote:

Interesting stuff...

I wouldn’t consider Arn Tellem a high level PBO... I will be surprised if he’s the guy we are targeting.

yeah Arn Tellem would be a disappointment for sure....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I have not kept up with this thread....pretty much assumed it was Pelinka going foward....recently read a rumor that Pelinka is not actually making these decisions, but there is a "shadow POBO" that works for another team, and will be announced when their team exits the playoffs.....but they are making decisions? Any truth to that rumor?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Short answer: we have no idea what's going on.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have not kept up with this thread....pretty much assumed it was Pelinka going foward....recently read a rumor that Pelinka is not actually making these decisions, but there is a "shadow POBO" that works for another team, and will be announced when their team exits the playoffs.....but they are making decisions? Any truth to that rumor?

The Lakers have been quiet so there’s no way to know until something happens. People have been reporting that the Lakers are going after someone in the playoffs and they are giving Pelinka orders though.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:

It's been quiet today. Usually when it's quiet, things are happening.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Math wrote:

Something is Brewing
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Math wrote:

Something is Brewing

StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Math wrote:

Something is Brewing

I like that the Lakers aren't saying much. I think staying silent has kept the trolling media in a frenzy making **** up. Listening to the the Sedano show on the way home with Ben Lyons and valley girl cheerleader Andy Kamentzky was comedy. These ****ers have no idea. None.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 34 of 71
Jump to: