Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

Short answer: YES.

Or the Busses didnt like West getting so much credit as a GM?
Or maybe she doesn't hold a grudge at all.

Even Doc Buss didn't want to give West a raise when he clearly deserved it, so it goes back even before Jeannie and would give air to the theory that the ownership didn't like how much credit West got.

I've only heard Stephen A. Smith tell this story. Read Jerry West's book if you haven't, that's all you would need to know of him and Jerry Buss's relationship. He had no Animosity towards Dr. Buss.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

It's known she is holding a grudge towards Jerry West.

Happen to know why?
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

But if it truly is that petty of a grudge why would she be ok with his son being such a big part of the organization?
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Double post

Last edited by jjangx27 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Triple post
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/runthejules/status/1118757988221632512?s=21

Jerry West on with Dan Patrick.

It’s a shame this man is not working for the Lakers...wasted 2 years on ego and petty stuff from the past.

Where do you think that ego is coming from? I used to think it was Magic who didn't want to share the spotlight with Jerry. But then I thought of myself as the owner, and I would've hired Jerry and told Magic "deal with it". So it probably goes higher up than Magic.

It just hasn't felt right for me to see Jerry with other teams these last 20 years. He's a Laker and needs to come back home. Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating? That just seems too petty to be real. I can't think of any reason to NOT bring him back.

My feeling is it is a Jeanie grudge and Magic was happy to go along with it because Magic wants the credit. Looks like Pelinka was working the org internally on a daily basis and got Magic Jim Buss’ed...
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

this is all about Jeanie Buss being holding an old grudge like a teenage high school girl.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

But if it truly is that petty of a grudge why would she be ok with his son being such a big part of the organization?

Must be one of those mini petty grudges?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if any of the coaches we are targeting would even accept the job without a PBO hired for us. Rumors are many around the league have told Monty and Lue not to take this job because of our internal FO being chaotic and incomplete currently with Magic quitting dramatically.

Jeanie is not fit to be the leader of this team. I get it her mother is sick in the hospital but she should have delegated the task to someone else and should be trying to fill in the PBO void and then let him hire the HC. If Rob is the one that will be PBO then someone from the org needs to come out and say it already. This is such a Mickey Mouse way of handling this disaster.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

I find it a good sign that yesterday we hear whispers of the Lakers already having a POBO and then the next day Jerry West goes on a talk show and has a lengthy Lakers talk...

Hopefully that means there is tampering rules involved so that’s why we haven’t spoken to Jerry yet.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Amick says, "sources say that a similar role with the Lakers was never offered to West back then, and there is no indication that Buss is attempting to woo him to her side this time around either..."

It's clear to me that a source told him that Jeanie didn't try to get West last time but as for now he just says "there is no indication that Buss is attempting to woo (West)". In other words, he hasn't heard anything either way.

That's my read anyway.

It's not looking great but I'm not ready to close the door on it either yet.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

If the best they can do is a 66-year old ex-agent from a (bleep) east coast team with some distant connection to Kobe you'll know Jeanie has basically checked out of reality.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Let me know when Rob Pelinka, with all his CBA expertise, and overall GM mastery

1) signs a good free agent that wouldn't otherwise be playing in China
2) makes a trade that doesn't make us worse
3) makes the playoffs with a top 10 player all-time on his team who had been to 9 straight Finals beforehand
4) doesn't buy out Deng a year too early, unnecessarily taking 5 mil out of our cap space, when we probably could have flipped him for the assets we used to rent Muscala and Bullock
5) doesn't waste our first round pick on an overrated Michigan alum

I'll settle for even one of these from our top-flight GM

1. KCP.

2. Bullock for Svi/2nd rounder.

3. Does he get more than one season to accomplish this?

4. Ah yes, I'm sure all the GM's who - according to you - won't even answer Pelinka's call, would have been dying to line up and help take Deng off his hands.

5. Josh Hart and Kyle Kuzma.

1. Paid double what KCP would have been by any other team, but he was a mandatory signing by RP, not someone Pelinka sniffed out with his "research."

2. Bullock is a UFA now. As in not on the team. Svi and that 2nd rounder were assets flushed down the toilet. So the team is by definition worse off. And if you want to stay in season? He shot 1% better than Svi from 3. What an upgrade. But let's see what he does in the playoffs.

3. Should have made the playoffs with Lebron on the team in any season.

4. You're the one claiming Pelinka is treated no different than any other GM, hence that should not have gotten in the way of him trading Deng.

5. Hart/Kuzma were Jesse Buss picks. Pelinka had nothing to say about them when we drafted them because he didn't scout them.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Whats funny to me is Cowherd just yesterday said that the Lakers will be hiring a prominent GM who's working right now with a play-off team and is overlooking all the moves being made.

Then today he said the team is a complete disaster...both Monty and Lue have been advised to not take the Lakers job because it's so dysfunctional up top. Which one is it? I mean you can't believe anything being reported.

We're all speculating which is fine..I would just say look at the facts being reported...Monty, Lue and Howard will be interviewed. All 3 have ties to LeBron...this to me suggest LeBron or Klutch is being advised of the moves and they're on board. Not to mention the recent interview of Bron saying he "Won't stop until Lakers return to championship contention."

I say we sit back and just wait for the moves to drop. Then react instead of reacting to speculation. Me included.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Let me know when Rob Pelinka, with all his CBA expertise, and overall GM mastery

3) makes the playoffs with a top 10 player all-time on his team who had been to 9 straight Finals beforehand
4) doesn't buy out Deng a year too early, unnecessarily taking 5 mil out of our cap space, when we probably could have flipped him for the assets we used to rent Muscala and Bullock

1. KCP.

4. Ah yes, I'm sure all the GM's who - according to you - won't even answer Pelinka's call, would have been dying to line up and help take Deng off his hands.

1. Paid double what KCP would have been by any other team, but he was a mandatory signing by RP, not someone Pelinka sniffed out with his "research."

2. Bullock is a UFA now. As in not on the team. Svi and that 2nd rounder were assets flushed down the toilet. So the team is by definition worse off. And if you want to stay in season? He shot 1% better than Svi from 3. What an upgrade. But let's see what he does in the playoffs.

4. You're the one claiming Pelinka is treated no different than any other GM, hence that should not have gotten in the way of him trading Deng.

5. Hart/Kuzma were Jesse Buss picks. Pelinka had nothing to say about them when we drafted them because he didn't scout them.

Have our youth, bron, money, pick. No bad dollars on the books. 4th in west when healthy
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

1. KCP.

1. Uh, OK. But, the point is, KCP wouldn't be playing in China if we hadn't signed him, correct?

2. Bullock underperformed in his short time here, but the larger sample size of his career shows he's a very good NBA player. Anyone in their right mind would have made that trade.

3. Luckily we have LeBron under contract three more years.

4. I don't think any GM in the league would find it easy to offload that bad a contract in an effort to create a max slot, but I would imagine very few in the league are lining up to help the Lakers in that regard, no matter who the GM is.

5. So Rob gets no credit for the good picks, but all the blame for the "bad" picks?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Happen to know why?

She isn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Last edited by Outspoken on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

1. KCP.

1. Uh, OK. But, the point is, KCP wouldn't be playing in China if we hadn't signed him, correct?

2. Bullock underperformed in his short time here, but the larger sample size of his career shows he's a very good NBA player. Anyone in their right mind would have made that trade.

4. I don't think any GM in the league would find it easy to offload that bad a contract in an effort to create a max slot, but I would imagine very few in the league are lining up to help the Lakers in that regard, no matter who the GM is.

5. So Rob gets no credit for the good picks, but all the blame for the "bad" picks?

1. KCP was "cost of doing business." This isn't a guy Pelinka researched/unearthed. KCP was going to be signed. I'll criticize the amount of money he was given, but the signing itself was inevitable and not something Pelinka "decided."

2. "Anyone in their right mind." Source? Link? This team was already bleeding from the arteries and they gave up assets that could've been used in a real trade or on real players for bandaids.

3. Yeah, three more years for Rob to screw up Lebron's legacy.

4. Marks already showed how the price of unloading a contract diminishes with each passing year. I'd probably rather give up a 1st rounder that Pelinka would waste on a crappy player anyway. Then again, he'd probably piss away the 5 million on another China-quality player. So i will consider this a break-even point.

5. I'll give Rob retroactive credit for getting out of our Very Good Scouting Department's way on Kuz and Hart. Too bad he couldn't trust one of his few good instincts the 2nd time around.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

1. KCP.

1. KCP was "cost of doing business." This isn't a guy Pelinka researched/unearthed. KCP was going to be signed. I'll criticize the amount of money he was given, but the signing itself was inevitable and not something Pelinka "decided."

2. "Anyone in their right mind." Source? Link? This team was already bleeding from the arteries and they gave up assets that could've been used in a real trade or on real players for bandaids.

3. Yeah, three more years for Rob to screw up Lebron's legacy.

4. Marks already showed how the price of unloading a contract diminishes with each passing year. I'd probably rather give up a 1st rounder that Pelinka would waste on a crappy player anyway. Then again, he'd probably piss away the 5 million on another China-quality player. So i will consider this a break-even point.

5. I'll give Rob retroactive credit for getting out of our Very Good Scouting Department's way on Kuz and Hart. Too bad he couldn't trust one of his few good instincts the 2nd time around.

1. Your original statement was to provide a player Pelinka signed who would otherwise be playing in China. I think we settled that, no?

2. Reggie Bullock is a career 39% shooter from 3, I feel pretty confident in saying most anyone in the league would trade a scrub G-Leaguer and a 2nd round pick to acquire his services.

3. Wah wah. Your mind is clearly already made up that it's going to be 3 disastrous years, so why bother? Go outside and enjoy life.

4. Wait, so in one breath you're whining about us trading a second round pick for Bullock, but in the other breath you're happy to attach a first rounder to Deng? Which is it? Do you only care about trading draft picks when it's convenient for whatever inane point you're trying to make?

5. Gotcha. Rob only makes the decision when it's a "bad" pick and you've somehow already decided Moe was a "bad" pick, while simultaneously lamenting that we trade Svi too soon. Amazing how that works. It's impossible to keep track of your arguments with how often you flip flop back in forth in literally the same post.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Congrats on your semantic victory "eh you said a free agent that would be in China and KCP is barely good enough to not play there." What a win. And clear proof Pelinka is a savvy talent evaluator and knows how to spend 30 million.

Svi was already a more productive player than Mo despite coming 20 picks later. Notice the scrub got actual minutes while your favorite player only saw garbage time. I would've rather traded Wagner and his higher cap figure. But Detroit, much like the Pels and probably every other team that wouldn't have wasted a first on him, probably didn't want him.

5 million in extra free money is actually the difference between being able to afford a max this year and signing AD as a free agent next year (when we hopefully have a real PBO). That is gone now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Username wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

1. KCP.

LeBron can opt out after 2 more seasons, not 3.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Happen to know why?

She wasn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Thanks for the write-up! Those are some interesting tidbits.
Can anyone else backup the stories?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Happen to know why?

She wasn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Thanks for the write-up! Those are some interesting tidbits.
Can anyone else backup the stories?

Yes, some of these are from books. Jeanie saying they aren't gonna sign Phil no matter what he does was in the finals vs Detroit. I remember ESPN having a segment some time ago, where Phil said (not verbatim) that his relationship with Jeanie caused conflict with Dr. Buss and exects (I'm pretty sure he was referring to Jerry West based on what he wrote in his book). Jeanie also said in that segment that she was against hiring Phil because we already had 2 big personalities in Shaq and Kobe, and 3rd wouldn't be good. She said she was glad they didn't listen to her. In that same segment, she talked about her going at her brother on the radio, that she said she regretted.... They also talked about her posing nude briefly. I'll try and find that segment for you.

Also, she agreed to come back to the Lakers because her brother hired Phil back against Dr. Buss's wishes, but signed off on it. She got to have a jeanievision on the Lakers website with her and phil too. I don't even know if I could find those anywhere, but I'll try.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Happen to know why?

She isn't only holding a grudge with Jerry West, she was also holding a grudge with her father for a while. Jerry West was openly critical of her relationship with Phil because he didn't feel it was professional for Phil to be dating Jeanie. She never really talked to Jerry West after that, but not only did he not like the relationship, Jerry Buss didn't neither. Phil was the cause of Jerry West to leave the Lakers, Dr. Buss didn't like that, coupled with him not liking Phil's relationship with his daughter. To the point, Dr. Buss didn't give Phil an extension and let him walk. They asked Jeanie on national TV if she thought Dr. Buss was gonna give Phil an extension, before not giving it to him and she said, filled with emotional grief "they are not gonna re-sign him no matter what he does." After Dr. Buss didn't Re-sign Phil, she left the organization for a while. This wasn't the 1st time she re-belled - in 95 she made an emotional decision by posing for Playboy in 95. That was because Jerry Buss would have playmates aaround and be at the Playboy mansion. I digress, but It's funny that she never really spoke to Jerry West after how he felt about her relationship with Phil, because before she didn't like Jerry West selection of Phil Jackson and Dr. Buss decision of making Phil the coach in 99. She was against it, wholeheartedly. She also held Jim Buss publically criticizing Phil against him as well. She went on the radio and went at him, backing Phil. She claimed it was based on her emotions and regretted doing it, but this altered her relationship with Jim.

Lots of soap opera stuff, but ignores reality.

The crux of the West-Buss situation is: money.

Dr. Buss was not generous to his non-player employees. West felt disrespected because Buss wasn't paying him what the top GMs were getting. Depending on who you listen to, Buss supposedly promised West either a bonus or a piece of the team (like Magic had) if the Lakers won the 2000 Finals. The Lakers won, West got stiffed and he "retired."

It also didn't help that Dr. Buss brought his ne'er-do-well son, Jim, in to "intern" under West and was made a VP/Ass't GM without West's input. PJax didn't exactly improve the situation, either, but the bottom line was $$$. West is a prideful dude and wasn't coming back. With Dr. Buss dead, however, I guess he's softened.

West is the one who left the team. First, after Buss bought the team, West quit when Buss hired Jack McKinney as head coach. Buss wanted West to stick around so he placated West with a part-time advisor/scout gig. West came back to replace Bill Sharman as GM in 82.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Happen to know why?

Lots of soap opera stuff, but ignores reality.

The crux of the West-Buss situation is: money.

Dr. Buss was not generous to his non-player employees. West felt disrespected because Buss wasn't paying him what the top GMs were getting. Depending on who you listen to, Buss supposedly promised West either a bonus or a piece of the team (like Magic had) if the Lakers won the 2000 Finals. The Lakers won, West got stiffed and he "retired."

It also didn't help that Dr. Buss brought his ne'er-do-well son, Jim, in to "intern" under West and was made a VP/Ass't GM without West's input. PJax didn't exactly improve the situation, either, but the bottom line was $$$. West is a prideful dude and wasn't coming back. With Dr. Buss dead, however, I guess he's softened.

West is the one who left the team. First, after Buss bought the team, West quit when Buss hired Jack McKinney as head coach. Buss wanted West to stick around so he placated West with a part-time advisor/scout gig. West came back to replace Bill Sharman as GM in 82.

Thank makes sense too.
I dont know if Jeannie being petty and West being stubborn are mutually exclusive. They can both be true. And they can both be false.

Good info to have. Thanks guys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 33 of 71
Jump to: