Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankykingston
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone think it’s possible that Monty Williams is being interviewed for the POBO position? He was the VP for the Spurs and today it leaked that the guy getting that job is currently on a playoff team...
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

spankykingston wrote:
Does anyone think it’s possible that Monty Williams is being interviewed for the POBO position? He was the VP for the Spurs and today it leaked that the guy getting that job is currently on a playoff team...

link?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

spankykingston wrote:

If it isn't as a straight coaching job, I think it is more likely he is hired as Coach and GM as Rob is elevated above him.
spankykingston
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

spankykingston wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

Per his interview with Woj, he has thought of that with Doc and Pop assuming those roles.
spankykingston
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
spankykingston wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

Per his interview with Woj, he has thought of that with Doc and Pop assuming those roles.

I’m purely speculating...
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

spankykingston wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

thank you
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Let me know when Rob Pelinka, with all his CBA expertise, and overall GM mastery

1) signs a good free agent that wouldn't otherwise be playing in China
2) makes a trade that doesn't make us worse
3) makes the playoffs with a top 10 player all-time on his team who had been to 9 straight Finals beforehand
4) doesn't buy out Deng a year too early, unnecessarily taking 5 mil out of our cap space, when we probably could have flipped him for the assets we used to rent Muscala and Bullock
5) doesn't waste our first round pick on an overrated Michigan alum

I'll settle for even one of these from our top-flight GM

1. KCP.

2. Bullock for Svi/2nd rounder.

3. Does he get more than one season to accomplish this?

4. Ah yes, I'm sure all the GM's who - according to you - won't even answer Pelinka's call, would have been dying to line up and help take Deng off his hands.

5. Josh Hart and Kyle Kuzma.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't know who this person is, but he gave his thoughts on this Jerry West interview with Dan Patrick. The link to the interview is on this guy's page, which I'll link right now. Basically, he's theorizing that Jerry didn't completely shoot down the thought of going to the Lakers, he mentioned how many injuries we had, and also talks about how it's not as bad as the media is making it out to be in terms of the work environment. Maybe he's just being magnanimous. Anyway, here's the link:

https://twitter.com/RunTheJules/status/1118757985486901248
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I don't know who this person is, but he gave his thoughts on this Jerry West interview with Dan Patrick. The link to the interview is on this guy's page, which I'll link right now. Basically, he's theorizing that Jerry didn't completely shoot down the thought of going to the Lakers, he mentioned how many injuries we had, and also talks about how it's not as bad as the media is making it out to be in terms of the work environment. Maybe he's just being magnanimous. Anyway, here's the link:

This man, Jerry West, loves the Lakers.
That was really good to read. Thanks for the link!
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

thank you

Thanks for the link. Jerry West is also working for a playoff team
spankykingston
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject:

PNWlakers wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
spankykingston wrote:

link?

thank you

Thanks for the link. Jerry West is also working for a playoff team

Very true... Like I said it’s a guess, nothing more... I would love for Mr. West to return...
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject:

I think Jeanie is running this hiring process so that she is the only person connected to all of the people who are supposed to be in the chain of command instead of the chain of command.

Hear me out.

Here's how it should go: Ownership hires a PBO who then hires a GM who works under him. The PBO and GM work on a list of coaching candidates after they assess the roster's strengths and weaknesses. The PBO gives the GM a list of coaching candidates and the PBO along with the GM interview those candidates.

PBO/GM hire the guy who fits their vision for the future. Of course, they present the Ownership with who they selected and why but most owners hire a PBO they trust, right?

In that scenario, the PBO runs the team's management (GM/Coach) while the GM builds the roster with the Coach's input. Both the GM and Coach run their decisions by the PBO. The PBO has a list of major things they run by Ownership but most things they are given carte blanche to approve.

Here's how Jeanie is running things:

Jeanie wants loyalty to her and her alone. She wants to hire the coach with her input to report directly to her and can go around the PBO/GM. She wants to hire a PBO who will run everything by her for approval. She wants to hire a GM who reports to her and can go around the PBO if he disagrees. She wants to insulate both GM and Coach from the PBO.

This is a recipe for DYSFUNCTION. This will create drama and competition between people who should be on the same page, working together on a common vision/goal. She's creating an environment that breeds backbiting and mistrust.

I said long ago that Jeanie was the problem. I believe this more now than ever.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/runthejules/status/1118757988221632512?s=21

Jerry West on with Dan Patrick.

It’s a shame this man is not working for the Lakers...wasted 2 years on ego and petty stuff from the past.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

We need this Jerry West fella. Instantly credibility will be restored..
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't want Pelinka to stay past this offseason. And it's not really his fault.

He was sold as part of a package deal. Magic had the vision for what we needed on the court. And Rob had the expertise and connections to get it done.

Time for a new person with a vision to come in. And that person should hire the GM and coach they want.

All they did was get Lebron. Magic didn't need Rob for that. Jeanie should have let Magic pick his GM. Magic didn't hire Rob, that was Jeanie also.

If he was only showing up once a week (and has since admitted he didn't like the job), it would have been pretty insane to let him fire the GM while not being fully committed. He might have quit the next day regardless.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Sorry man, I missed this post. You beat me to it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

Jeanie needs to get off her ways and bring Jerry West back... she doesn’t probably realize how much respect she will gain if she did.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/runthejules/status/1118757988221632512?s=21

Jerry West on with Dan Patrick.

It’s a shame this man is not working for the Lakers...wasted 2 years on ego and petty stuff from the past.

Where do you think that ego is coming from? I used to think it was Magic who didn't want to share the spotlight with Jerry. But then I thought of myself as the owner, and I would've hired Jerry and told Magic "deal with it". So it probably goes higher up than Magic.

It just hasn't felt right for me to see Jerry with other teams these last 20 years. He's a Laker and needs to come back home. Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating? That just seems too petty to be real. I can't think of any reason to NOT bring him back.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

Short answer: YES.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Do you think Jeannie still holds a grudge over West's objections to her and Phil dating?

Or the Busses didnt like West getting so much credit as a GM?
Or maybe she doesn't hold a grudge at all.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Even Doc Buss didn't want to give West a raise when he clearly deserved it, so it goes back even before Jeannie and would give air to the theory that the ownership didn't like how much credit West got.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

I think West is too old to be given a full time gig. In a dream scenario both West and Magic would still be part of the Lakers but without day to day responsibilities or decision making power. West as a consultant, Magic as a blackops tampering agent and someone you have in the room to convince free agents on signing.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
danzag wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

It's known she is holding a grudge towards Jerry West.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I think West is too old to be given a full time gig. In a dream scenario both West and Magic would still be part of the Lakers but without day to day responsibilities or decision making power. West as a consultant, Magic as a blackops tampering agent and someone you have in the room to convince free agents on signing.

I don't think JW would even want a fulltime PBO position. I just want that brain power in the boardroom when planning for the future of this team. There is no one I would trust with a rebuild more than Jerry.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 32 of 71
Jump to: