KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
King Randle wrote:
...LG is now famous for a bunch of wining babies crying...

It looks like LG is also famous for our poor spelling.

winging and dinging
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

Garbage for garbage. Who cares and stop blaming Klutch.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:

I'll stop blaming Klutch when we give up on the Davis folly and focus on signing another agent and committing to our own players.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:

Exactly --- no need to be concerned about this one
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Jabari averaging 15 points 7 rebounds off the bench for CHI.

Jabari + Zubac >>>>>> KCP + Muscala
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

Big Game James wrote:
KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker.

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly reached a tentative agreement to send Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Michael Beasley to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for Jabari Parker ahead of the trade deadline, but KCP never approved the deal.

On Tuesday, Bill Oram of The Athletic reported the Bulls waited three days from Jan. 25 through Jan. 28 but decided to move on after Caldwell-Pope didn't provide an answer and the Lakers switched their main focus to the New Orleans Pelicans' Anthony Davis.

LINK

Just consider the ramifications of this. Sending Beasley in this package would have avoided us trading away Zubac since apparently we did that trade just to get rid of Beasley. Plus we might have avoided the Anthony Davis fiasco since there is a chance we might not have "switched our focus" on to him. Finally, the publicity hit this organization took from the AD circus might not only allowed us to make the playoffs since the team would not have mentally checked out, but it might also have made Los Angeles a more appealing destination during free agency.

KCP might very well have ruined this franchise single-handedly with this move!

I think you are wrong.

1. The Lakers were talking with the Bulls from Jan. 25, and on Jan. 28th AD requested a trade out of New Orleans. Even if we had made the Jabari deal, I don't see why that would have affected our efforts to go after AD. I don't think one deal had any impact on the other.

2. We didn't trade Zubac to get rid of Beasley. Beasley was on an expiring contract and if it was just a matter of getting rid of him we could have just waived him. (Which is what the Clippers did right after the trade). We traded Zubac to get Muscala because we wanted three-point shooters and Magic didn't think much of him.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

I dont get it... what would have been the point of such a trade? expiring garbage for another team's expiring garbage?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
jabari parker is HORRIBLE

another bad look for our FO

The salaries wouldn't have matched with just KCP and Beas so they were probably also going to send out Zu in that deal.

Did they view Jabari Parker as a small ball center?! Was that the thinking behind the deal? Because if so...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I don't know what's worse: continuously overpaying KCP only to see him refuse to accommodate us or the fact that they saw Jabari Parker as the reinforcement they needed.

this....KCP > Jabari
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I don't know what's worse: continuously overpaying KCP only to see him refuse to accommodate us or the fact that they saw Jabari Parker as the reinforcement they needed.

The same thought crossed my mind.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

activeverb wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker.

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly reached a tentative agreement to send Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Michael Beasley to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for Jabari Parker ahead of the trade deadline, but KCP never approved the deal.

On Tuesday, Bill Oram of The Athletic reported the Bulls waited three days from Jan. 25 through Jan. 28 but decided to move on after Caldwell-Pope didn't provide an answer and the Lakers switched their main focus to the New Orleans Pelicans' Anthony Davis.

LINK

Just consider the ramifications of this. Sending Beasley in this package would have avoided us trading away Zubac since apparently we did that trade just to get rid of Beasley. Plus we might have avoided the Anthony Davis fiasco since there is a chance we might not have "switched our focus" on to him. Finally, the publicity hit this organization took from the AD circus might not only allowed us to make the playoffs since the team would not have mentally checked out, but it might also have made Los Angeles a more appealing destination during free agency.

I think you are wrong.

1. The Lakers were talking with the Bulls from Jan. 25, and on Jan. 28th AD requested a trade out of New Orleans. Even if we had made the Jabari deal, I don't see why that would have affected our efforts to go after AD. I don't think one deal had any impact on the other.

2. We didn't trade Zubac to get rid of Beasley. Beasley was on an expiring contract and if it was just a matter of getting rid of him we could have just waived him. (Which is what the Clippers did right after the trade). We traded Zubac to get Muscala because we wanted three-point shooters and Magic didn't think much of him.

Regarding:
1) This wasn't my thinking. This was the thought from the article. I feel we still would have gone after AD. It was the right move then, and the right move now. The noise around it was not good though and the collusion from various NBA teams made it worse.

2) Not according to THIS report from Brad Turner. He was traded for three reasons, none of which had to do with Muscala. It was to (1) dump Beasley, (2) free up more time for McGee who grew unhappy with his minutes and (3) the growing fear from the front office that they would be unable to keep Zubac this summer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

Big Game James wrote:

Quote:

LINK

If the FO traded Zubac to get rid of Beasley, when they could have just released Beasley, we are in trouble.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

Not only would we have avoided trading Zubac, but we would have gotten a former #3 pick in Parker...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Parker would've been salary ballast in a possible Davis trade, nothing more.

15 & 7 with no defense is not worth $20 million, so no team would want him, other than as an expiring (second year is a team option).

The Lakers couldn't have fit him into their rotation without taking minutes from LeBron, Ingram, or Kuzma. Lakers were already oversized at guard and undersized up front.

Our team was still fighting for a playoff spot, KCP was still our best option against quick guards with Hart playing hurt and Ball out already. Svi probably doesn't get traded however, the one positive of this potential deal that didn't happen.

I believe Magic thought he was improving the team chemistry with Muscala over Zubac, not simply getting rid of Beasley. Is there some CBA provision that prohibits signing a player after waiving another? Perhaps the Lakers wanted to avoid going over the cap this soon, it would also explain why they didn't value Zu's RFA and Bird Rights. Possibly shines a light on their logic behind not wanting to build the team around D'Lo, who could receive 5yr/$155M this summer if I'm not mistaken? Going over the apron before having a legit championship roster may be something to avoid.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

You know what would show him? Playing him big minutes down the stretch so he can jack up shots to secure a better contract next year. Yeah!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

We missed out on Jabari, so then we decided to try for AD? Doesn't make sense.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:

If there was time left we would have built a time machine and brought back prime Shaq. Too bad NOLA strung us along the whole time.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:

AD announced that he wanted out of NOLA a few days later, after we tried to trade for Jabari.

Last edited by danzag on Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If Klutch pressures the Lakers into a pro forma no trade clause contract to sign KCP... then Klutch has some if not most of the responsibility.

There has been speculation that one of the reasons the Lakers signed KCP was to be able to speak to Lebron's agent.

At the same time, over the past two years the Lakers have chosen to sign guys to one year contracts to preserve cap space flexibility. And when you do that, you can't trade the player without his permission. The Lakers realize that. KCP can decline a trade if he wants, and there really isn't anything Klutch can do about it. Their job is to make KCP happy, not the Lakers.

Sentient Meat wrote:
Do you think we pay 12 million for KCP without Klutch's involvement?

I have no idea. I've never understood the big deal over KCP, or why Detroit offered him that huge contract he turned down. But it seems everytime he becomes a free agent, teams scramble to meet him. So my guess is KCPO doesn't think the Lakers did him a favor with the deal.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Parker would've been salary ballast in a possible Davis trade, nothing more.

The Lakers tried to get Parker before AD made his trade request; he wasn't in play yet, so I can't see how trying to get him had anything to do with AD. And Parker was no more salary ballast than KCP and Beasley, so it doesn't make sense the Lakers would trade two expiring contracts just to get another expiring contract to trade.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

Big Game James wrote:

2) Not according to THIS report from Brad Turner. He was traded for three reasons, none of which had to do with Muscala. It was to (1) dump Beasley, (2) free up more time for McGee who grew unhappy with his minutes and (3) the growing fear from the front office that they would be unable to keep Zubac this summer.

Brad Turner's reasoning makes no sense. He just seems to be talking out of his ass, rather than basing his opinion on anything the Lakers told him. Here's why I think he's wrong:

1. If the Lakers wanted to dump Beasley, they could have simply waived him. He was an expiring contract, so there was no reason to give up assets to get rid of him.

2. McGee's playing time didn't increase after the Zubac trade. And if they wanted to free up time for McGee, they could have sat Zubac. He already had 20 DNP-CDs this year, so the Lakers obviously had no problem sitting him.

3. I could see them trading Zubac if they didn't think they could resign him. But why would they trade him for someone they didn't want? What is the benefit of that?

So, yeah, I think Turner was just riffing about this, and saying dumb things.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

Big Game James wrote:

Regarding:
1) This wasn't my thinking. This was the thought from the article. I feel we still would have gone after AD. It was the right move then, and the right move now. The noise around it was not good though and the collusion from various NBA teams made it worse.

The article didn't say, or even suggest, that the Lakers wouldn't have gone after AD if they had gotten Parker.

All the article said was: "On Tuesday, Bill Oram of The Athletic reported the Bulls waited three days from Jan. 25 through Jan. 28 but decided to move on after Caldwell-Pope didn't provide an answer and the Lakers switched their main focus to the New Orleans Pelicans' Anthony Davis."

I'd say you're misinterpreting the Lakers "switched their main focus." Before the 28th, AD wasn't in play, so even if they had gotten Parker I see no reason to think they wouldn't have made the same play for AD. It's not like they were unable to contact the Pelicans while waiting for an answer from KCP.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
If Klutch pressures the Lakers into a pro forma no trade clause contract to sign KCP... then Klutch has some if not most of the responsibility.

There has been speculation that one of the reasons the Lakers signed KCP was to be able to speak to Lebron's agent.

At the same time, over the past two years the Lakers have chosen to sign guys to one year contracts to preserve cap space flexibility. And when you do that, you can't trade the player without his permission. The Lakers realize that. KCP can decline a trade if he wants, and there really isn't anything Klutch can do about it. Their job is to make KCP happy, not the Lakers.

Sentient Meat wrote:
Do you think we pay 12 million for KCP without Klutch's involvement?

I have no idea. I've never understood the big deal over KCP, or why Detroit offered him that huge contract he turned down. But it seems everytime he becomes a free agent, teams scramble to meet him. So my guess is KCPO doesn't think the Lakers did him a favor with the deal.

I think Klutch is behaving fine... they are doing their job for their clients... I'm not saying Klutch is not acting in their or their players interests.

I'm annoyed that the Lakers are playing cuckolds to an agency instead of pursuing what's best for our team.

Had we come up with a more modest trade offer and the Pelicans refused, I wouldn't have a big issue with Klutch... (and yes, I get that we don't know for certain what it was) I blame management from Jeanie on down for what is happening.

I'm still annoyed because they haven't backed off this position, and I'm worried they will rinse and repeat in the summer.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

This deal makes no sense from a basketball perspective.......

Our team has too many forwards anyways.
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Deal would’ve been bad news for us.

But who the (bleep) is KCP? Lmao he has gotten way more money than he is worth with us. Dude should be on his knees worshipping the Lakers. Certainly should go where ever the (bleep) we want him to. Magic says jump? KCP should ask how high?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: