Add 2nd Tier Star Free Agent, Punt Cap Space, or Build Quality Roster?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Add 2nd Tier Star Free Agent, Punt Cap Space, or Build Quality Roster?
Full 4 Year Max to 2nd Tier All Star Level FA
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
Punt Cap Space. Try to sign Anthony Davis in 2020.
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Build out a quality roster with complementary role players on multi year deals.
39%
 39%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 41

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Add 2nd Tier Star Free Agent, Punt Cap Space, or Build Quality Roster?

It appears we will have between $35-$40 Million in cap space this summer to spend in free agency. We all know the plan is to add another star to pair with Lebron. If we can't land a marquee free agent (Durant, Kawhi, Klay or Kyrie), it appears we will seek to sign a lower tier All Star level player. There are multiple other options including punting the cap space to 2020 in hopes of landing Anthony Davis, or building a well rounded solid roster that compliments a Lebron led team.

In this hypothetical, we are unable to sign Durant, Kawhi, Klay or Kyrie this summer. We also are unable to obtain Anthony Davis in a trade. Finally, the 2nd Tier All Star level FA route will require a 4 year Max contract. What is your personal preference?

Option 1 - Give a full 4 year max contract to any of the 2nd Tier All Star Level FA's that will join Lebron and the young core in LA. The list is Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler, Demarcus Cousins, Kris Middleton or Nikola Vučević.

Option 2 - Punt cap space by signing 1 year deals in hopes of signing Anthony Davis in free agency in 2020.

Option 3 - Use the cap space to add 3-4 high quality role players that would supplement and enhance a team with Lebron and the young core. Could include defensive players, a solid backup PG, shooters, quality Center depth, etc.

Last edited by adkindo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Build a (bleep) TEAM.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

This is something I struggle with. I think all 3 options can be argued as the better choice.

My prediction: Lakers go with option 1.

What I want? Man, I struggle with 1 and 3, but I just feel like #3 is nowhere near this FO's orbit. So I guess #1.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This is something I struggle with. I think all 3 options can be argued as the better choice.

What I want? Man, I struggle with 1 and 3, but I just feel like #3 is nowhere near this FO's orbit. So I guess #1.

I definitely think the FO goes with option 1.....should have been more clear that I was asking for personal preference.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I definitely think the FO goes with option 1.....should have been more clear that I was asking for personal preference.

Yeah. I'm gonna say #1.

Let's us get an all star player AND keep our YUTES, which we could keep or even trade for AD (doubtful but theoretically possible) or other players.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Too many variables... The difference between Kawhi vs. Kemba for one

I agree with what Yinoma said that a good case can be made for all three.

I have no problem with punting and essentially putting Lonzo and BI on an audition year to see who stays and who goes for AD.

I obviously have no problem with just adding a Kawhi type player

I have no problem signing intelligent complimentary parts... especially when you could see how the G Leaguers could win.

But considering how badly the FO botched this season's signings, it's hard to imagine a coherent plan coming out from there next year.

So ONLY for the ease of what can be achieved with our current management, I'd say #1 because they won't do number #2 and they will f*ck up number three unless we are hiring a new executive to help them.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

NBA players are like diamonds - a 5 carat diamond is worth way more than ten 1 carat diamonds of the same quality - and a guy like Kemba Walker (who I DO NOT like) - is worth more than his salary in quality role players. The time he spends on the court is more impactful and his ability to make shots is crucial.

The value of a Jimmy Butler having the defense all peeking when he gets the ball makes LeBron, et. al., that much better.

Most NBA games are 4 minutes long - the other 44 the teams are just trading baskets. Superstars - even Tier 2 ones - give you a better chance to win those 4 minutes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I have no problem with punting and essentially putting Lonzo and BI on an audition year to see who stays and who goes for AD.

I have no problem signing intelligent complimentary parts... especially when you could see how the G Leaguers could win.

But considering how badly the FO botched this season's signings, it's hard to imagine a coherent plan coming out from there next year.

So ONLY for the ease of what can be achieved with our current management, I'd say #1 because they won't do number #2 and they will f*ck up number three unless we are hiring a new executive to help them.

don't change the hypothetical.....Kawhi is not an option in this scenario.....trading for AD is off the table in this scenario.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

Build a team with multiple professional players surrounding James.

Find some toughness, hard workers on defense and build consistent chemistry with 3-4 year contracts. Let the young players develop. Keep the pick this year.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

don't change the hypothetical.....Kawhi is not an option in this scenario.....trading for AD is off the table in this scenario.

My bad... I just looked at the choices and didn't read the premise as I should have.

I'd pick C then although I still think they'd screw it up.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
NBA players are like diamonds - a 5 carat diamond is worth way more than ten 1 carat diamonds of the same quality - and a guy like Kemba Walker (who I DO NOT like) - is worth more than his salary in quality role players. The time he spends on the court is more impactful and his ability to make shots is crucial.

The value of a Jimmy Butler having the defense all peeking when he gets the ball makes LeBron, et. al., that much better.

Most NBA games are 4 minutes long - the other 44 the teams are just trading baskets. Superstars - even Tier 2 ones - give you a better chance to win those 4 minutes.

Two of the best franchises of all time won with smaller diamonds...
Spurs and Russell's Celtics.

Same with Jordan's Bulls to large extent though they did have the largest diamond.

We have a large diamond now, although he's eroding quickly... smaller diamonds wouldn't necessarily be bad if we chose the right ones.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

One of the better posts I've seen in a while. We were competing with great teams when we were fully healthy, it's fun to imagine what another legit all star could bring when added to the core we have now. Bottom line, you have to be very careful with how you spend your money, and it's a near death sentence if you are invested in guys not on rookie contracts who won't move the needle for you over the next 3-5 years.

Look at what Philly did, Hinkie didn't throw huge deals at guys like Noah or Lou Williams just for the sake of "team building". He bottomed out and was fortunate enough to come away with 2 franchise corner stones. I believe we have 1 in Ingram, and 2 very good ones in Ball and Kuzma. And we have at worst a top 5 player in the league. And we have the chance to add another top 10 player in the league. Out path to returning to the top seems pretty clear to me.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Hell no are we punting this off season, we have to at least ATTEMPT to sign the BPA because there's no guarantee AD is going to come the following year. If we can't get a star signing, we need to get players who will compliment LeBron and our core pieces because we are in a WIN-NOW situation.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

I think we will attempt to go the option 1 route. Option 3 is out there, but man, you may be waiting until Trump's out of office before the young guys play well enough to say the third option works for getting a championship level team.

We sign the option 1 player, try to hold on to most of the kids while they learn. Depending on who the free agent is, I think it impacts at least one of the kids: a PG may force ball out, a SG/SF may force Ingram out, a PF (like Durant or Vuc.) may force Kuzma out.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

I know most people don't like the idea, but given the Lakers appear to have the inside track on AD and that it's nearly impossible to get a player of that caliber in his prime and such players are essential to winning championships, I wouldn't be opposed to waiting. Yes it would suck to waste another year of LeBron but that seems unavoidable no matter what. I just can't see a guy like Butler being enough. Adding Davis to the team while keeping the young guys would be incredible and put the team in great position for both the present and future.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I like Vucevic a lot, and Walker would be nice. But I like the idea of a well-rounded roster better. Feels like a long time since I've seen it, and I would be very surprised to see Magic put that one together.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Get Leonard
Get Davis later
Trade LeBron for role players
Profit
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo and Ingram will be great 3rd and 4th players if we get another star.

Just need a center and some shooters.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

The obvious choice is C.

However, after signing lebron it's A. Lebron doesn't have a lot of years left in him and it's win it big or nothing now...
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Given those choices...punt.
AD with the current youth and our ability to draft gets us back in the right direction.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

McGee/Wagner/Williams
LeBron/Kuzma
Ingram/Bullock/Jones
Lonzo/J.Hart
Kemba/Caruso
*Plus Lottery pick

I'll take it.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I like the fluid option....

- $35-40mm in cap space
- a lotto pick
- Young players on rookie contracts

Many many options
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Trade Lebron to allow Lonzo to run the show

Sign a star

Allow Ingram or Kuzma to be the #2nd option. Keep the depth.

Do not trade the kids for a star. Do not expect a star signing with Bron here.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:
Trade Lebron to allow Lonzo to run the show

Sign a star

Allow Ingram or Kuzma to be the #2nd option. Keep the depth.

Do not trade the kids for a star. Do not expect a star signing with Bron here.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: