2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

And not for Nowitsky! No freaking way.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Cuban-I-Thought-We-Had-a-Trade-for-Kobe_Dallas-Fort-Worth-508246232.html

Cuban says it was for two top players, but not Nowitsky. Josh Howard and Jason Terry?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

Surfitall wrote:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Cuban-I-Thought-We-Had-a-Trade-for-Kobe_Dallas-Fort-Worth-508246232.html

Cuban says it was for two top players, but not Nowitsky. Josh Howard and Jason Terry?

So if Kobe goes for two players... then we should trade no more than one for AD.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Kobe & Dirk would’ve been sick
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Cuban thought it was close

Doubt Dr Buss would agree
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

Sentient Meat wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

So if Kobe goes for two players... then we should trade no more than one for AD.

different times lol. but yea.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

Surfitall wrote:

Cuban has been telling this story for years. The two players were Howard and Terry. How close it actually was to happening is anyone's guess.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
Kobe & Dirk would’ve been sick

How many titles do they win?
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

activeverb wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Cuban has been telling this story for years. The two players were Howard and Terry. How close it actually was to happening is anyone's guess.

That would have been maybe the worst trade in history. No way Buss was close to doing that, Cuban deluding himself.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

activeverb wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Cuban was dreaming. Dr. Buss was playing on a higher field than Cuban but he just didn't get it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

activeverb wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Yeah, I doubt it was even close. That's why Dr. Buss was so good, he made you feel special when you talked to him. LOL! At that time Devin Harris was an up and coming young buck, if you were to make a deal with Dallas, you would have to ask for a prospect like that. Josh Howard was 27, Jason Terry was 30. Yikes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Yeah, I doubt it was even close. That's why Dr. Buss was so good, he made you feel special when you talked to him. LOL! At that time Devin Harris was an up and coming young buck, if you were to make a deal with Dallas, you would have to ask for a prospect like that. Josh Howard was 27, Jason Terry was 30. Yikes.

Actually, Howard was an up and comer. He had just make the all-star team and a lot of people were projecting big things for him. That's easy to forget since he had injuries and personal problems right afterwards, but he would have have been highly coveted at the time of the supposed trade.

Anyway, I have no reason to think Cuban is lying, and the way he tells it it sure sounds like the Lakers gave him a strong reason to believe they were going to take the deal.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject:

Thankfully we had enough of a "Team" to keep him here
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

2017 Lakers almost traded D’Angelo Russell to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and a late first round pick.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2007 Lakers almost traded Kobe to Dallas

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Actually, Howard was an up and comer. He had just make the all-star team and a lot of people were projecting big things for him. That's easy to forget since he had injuries and personal problems right afterwards, but he would have have been highly coveted at the time of the supposed trade.

Anyway, I have no reason to think Cuban is lying, and the way he tells it it sure sounds like the Lakers gave him a strong reason to believe they were going to take the deal.

I remember the hoopla around him and I was never that high on him due to his age. He was someone who turned 24 during his rookie season. I had a feeling what ever he was doing at that time was probably near his peak anyways. Look how his career turned out, that would have been one of the worst trades in history. Then again, I don't believe it was ever as close as Cuban is making it out to be.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
2017 Lakers almost traded D’Angelo Russell to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and a late first round pick.

It happened in my timeline. You must be from the "Berenstein" Bears timeline. Who's your President right now?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Cuban would have amnestied Kobe anyways. That’s what he said the Lakers should have done. And he was right.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It happened in my timeline. You must be from the "Berenstein" Bears timeline. Who's your President right now?

You must be living in the Darkest Timeline.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Cuban would have amnestied Kobe anyways. That’s what he said the Lakers should have done. And he was right.

He would have amnestied him after Kobe and Dirk dominated the league for seven years.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

"Amnesty THAT!"

Kobe was so good it was not even funny. I'd hate to be a fan of the other team.
2012-2013 was the last season of superhero Kobe. He was on a MISSION.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

"Amnesty THAT!"

I forgot he said that before the Achilles. That was Kobe’s last great season.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
danzag wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

"Amnesty THAT!"

Why did he say that when Kobe's contract only had one more year on it after that anyway?

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
danzag wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

"Amnesty THAT!"

Why did he say that when Kobe's contract only had one more year on it after that anyway?

After Kobe had his Achilles injury, Cuban said on a radio program that the Lakers should consider applying the amnesty to him, because it was unsure if he could continue to play and the Lakers would save an enormous amount on the luxury tax.

It got a lot of flack. In highsight, it would have been a smart move. The Lakers spent over $100 million (including taxes) for about 100 games of low quality play in Kobe's last few seasons.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Cuban said that before Kobe injuried his Achilles. Hence the "Amnesty THAT" game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

^
If Kobe was healthy, I don't get it then.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

"Amnesty THAT!"

I must have missed this game because this headfake off the dribble where he BANISHES Vince Carter into the shadow realm

is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen

KOBE
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: