this what i'm telling anyone who still believe in our young assets and Luke Walton
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: this what i'm telling anyone who still believe in our young assets and Luke Walton

look at the Clippers, tbh, outside of Lou Williams and Gallinari, i can't even name all their starting lineups and they traded away their best player mid-season. yet they're a middle of the pack playoff team in the west. so for all your Luke Walton and our young asset homers, think about that for a moment.

oh by the way, you can also see Indy as another example.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

How many injuries have the Clipper roster had?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

we have multiple talented young assets according to some, sure each of them have missed games, but the damn Clippers have NONE, all they got are a bunch of season vets and seldom heard rookies, and yet they're having a great season. oh by the way Lakers also have LeBron, despite his injury and other stuff, you can't deny he's having a bad season. so the differences are really come down to the head coach and overrating our young assets.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
we have multiple talented young assets according to some, sure each of them have missed games, but the damn Clippers have NONE, all they got are a bunch of season vets and seldom heard rookies, and yet they're having a great season. oh by the way Lakers also have LeBron, despite his injury and other stuff, you can't deny he's having a bad season. so the differences are really come down to the head coach and overrating our young assets.

I don’t totally disagree but you need to take into account that our best young asset missed almost half the year. If he stayed healthy, this season likely ends very differently.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

At some point, you have to stop using injuries as an excuse. We have injuries every year and ours always seem to be the worst.

Every team in the league has injuries at some point during the season. Look at Toronto. Kawhi and Lowry both missed stretches during the year. Yet, they are among the top teams in the league. Why? Because of the way their roster is assembled. They are well rounded. We aren't.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

You can make it easier just look at the Cavs last season and now? Maginka is bottom tier for now. You can't win with Lebron its on the FO and the (bleep) signings.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Do we get to hang those up like the Clips hang up Divisional "championship" banners?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I don’t totally disagree but you need to take into account that our best young asset missed almost half the year. If he stayed healthy, this season likely ends very differently.

I think this must be therapeutic for him.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
At some point, you have to stop using injuries as an excuse. We have injuries every year and ours always seem to be the worst.

Every team in the league has injuries at some point during the season. Look at Toronto. Kawhi and Lowry both missed stretches during the year. Yet, they are among the top teams in the league. Why? Because of the way their roster is assembled. They are well rounded. We aren't.

agreed, i just hate the fact people here are talking about BI, Zo and Kuz like they're franchise players. well if they are, then just having one of them on the floor would've at least made this team competitive right?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

so have we been advocating for the Clippers model? I thought it was the GSW model. Most of the guys that always want to move our young assets would have traded Steph and kept Monta Ellis, moved Klay for Kevin Love, and would not have paid Draymond to keep David Lee or sign Jared Dudley.

Steph became an All Star in Year 5 @ 25 years old.
Klay became an All Star in Year 4 @ 24 years old.
Draymond became an All Star in Year 4 @ 25 years old.

None of this happened overnight, and they had many chances to screw it up by selling early on young talent.

Lonzo Ball is in Year 2 @ 21 years old.
Brandon Ingram is in Year 3 @ 21 years old.
Kyle Kuzma is in Year 2 @ 23 years old.
Josh Hart is in Year 2 @ 23 years old.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
so have we been advocating for the Clippers model? I thought it was the GSW model. Most of the guys that always want to move our young assets would have traded Steph and kept Monta Ellis, moved Klay for Kevin Love, and would not have paid Draymond to keep David Lee or sign Jared Dudley.

None of this happened overnight, and they had many chances to screw it up by selling early on young talent.

This laker team was on a 50 game win season base on Xmas Day. If you look at BI all on his own, what he did in that last 6 games of his, he showed a good taste of what is to come, perhaps not 28PPG as he did in that last 6 games of his, but a solid 22/23PPG next season is not out of the realm of possibility...
Then of course Bron staying healthy and giving us 75+ games, with KUZ improving on both ends, as he should, then Ball actually staying healthy and showing improvement.
Add in the 10/11th pick whom should be a player in the 8 man rotation. And a FA such as Kemba. Not counting on KD/KL/Kyrie.

I can see a 57 or so win team right there. Fighting for the top spot in the West, and a top 4 team in the NBA.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I liked what I saw out of Steph and Klay early far more than any of the Lakers' core. Steph had amazing handles, shooting, and passing early. Klay had the shooting and defense early.

It's more than just when they made the all-star team. Several rookies this year look better than the Lakers core. De'Aaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell look better than any of the Lakers core. There are plenty of guys who have looked better through their first 3 seasons than any of the Lakers core.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: this what i'm telling anyone who still believe in our young assets and Luke Walton

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
look at the Clippers, tbh, outside of Lou Williams and Gallinari, i can't even name all their starting lineups and they traded away their best player mid-season. yet they're a middle of the pack playoff team in the west. so for all your Luke Walton and our young asset homers, think about that for a moment.

You don't even need to look that high.

Look at a team like the Kings. They're better and they're mostly reliant on their young core. Look at how awful this team would be without LeBron.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Clippers and Indy (without Oladipo) are basically treadmill teams...and their situation is not even remotely close to the bs we went through this season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I liked what I saw out of Steph and Klay early far more than any of the Lakers' core. Steph had amazing handles, shooting, and passing early. Klay had the shooting and defense early.

It's more than just when they made the all-star team. Several rookies this year look better than the Lakers core. De'Aaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell look better than any of the Lakers core. There are plenty of guys who have looked better through their first 3 seasons than any of the Lakers core.

interesting.....Steph played in 26 games his 3rd season, and many doubted his NBA career in general. Also, BI has put up better numbers in his 3rd year than Steph or Klay had by their 3rd year....and is 2-3 years younger than both during their 3rd year.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Japago wrote:
adkindo wrote:

interesting.....Steph played in 26 games his 3rd season, and many doubted his NBA career in general. Also, BI has put up better numbers in his 3rd year than Steph or Klay had by their 3rd year....and is 2-3 years younger than both during their 3rd year.

I posted about my feelings on BI in his topic. TLDR version, I think he's putting up empty stats because he's ball-stopping and using ISO too much. Advanced stats hate him and the Lakers don't win his high statistical games. He doesn't help the team win .

There have been players over the years who put up empty high statistical games. David Lee is an example.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The Clippers start two players 21 and under.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Japago wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is the kind of faulty comparison people make all the time.

I get that because our guys haven't been great out of the box, it is comforting to look for examples of guys who blossomed later.

But progression of Curry, Green, and Klay's careers says absolutely nothing about the potential progression of Ball, Ingram, or Kuz's career.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:

Do we get to hang those up like the Clips hang up Divisional "championship" banners?

What does this even mean? You confused me with this comment.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:

A healthy Laker roster will beat a healthy Clippers roster in a 7 game series. It's as simple as that.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

tony wrote:
Clippers and Indy (without Oladipo) are basically treadmill teams...and their situation is not even remotely close to the bs we went through this season.

Add the Thunder. I call them Bridesmaid Teams...good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to advance to the later rounds, or the Finals.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Japago wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This is the kind of faulty comparison people make all the time.

I get that because our guys haven't been great out of the box, it is comforting to look for examples of guys who blossomed later.

But progression of Curry, Green, and Klay's careers says absolutely nothing about the potential progression of Ball, Ingram, or Kuz's career.

I disagree....I think it serves as one of many examples of why you can't conclude on young guys 2 and 3 years in most of the time. Curry was never viewed as a future Top 5 player at that time.....Draymond was not viewed as anything close to an All Star.....and Klay was a nice young shooter.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: this what i'm telling anyone who still believe in our young assets and Luke Walton

Japago wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Look at a team like the Kings. They're better and they're mostly reliant on their young core. Look at how awful this team would be without LeBron.

35 wins last year and on the way up. If we kept DLo and Randle we would be competing for the playoffs like the Kings.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Look at how they're viewed around the league. They have little trade value. No free agents want to sign with a team with them as major focal points.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: this what i'm telling anyone who still believe in our young assets and Luke Walton

LakerLogic wrote:
Japago wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

35 wins last year and on the way up. If we kept DLo and Randle we would be competing for the playoffs like the Kings.

Nobody looks at how players are playing and are just looking at box score stats. Those guys are the centerpieces of their teams and dominate most of their teams' possessions. Russell is 3rd in the league in usage, ahead of LeBron. He has really high volume, with barely passable efficiency.

Those guys and Ingram would be awful together because they need to handle the ball. They're best as centerpieces of mediocre teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: