Top Ten You've Ever Seen in Realtime
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Top Ten You've Ever Seen in Realtime

I don't believe in rating players you've never actually seen in live games, so I'm asking:

Who Are the Best Peak Players You've Witnessed in Realtime (not YouTube or your grandfather's dusty, old film)?

You may have to state when you begang following basketball closely.

I started following closely around 83-84:
1. MAGIC
2. JORDAN
3. BIRD
4. JAMES
5. OLAJUWON
6. DUNCAN
7. SHAQ
8. THOMAS
9. CURRY
10. BRYANT

I never saw Kareem at his peak, same for Moss Malone.

Wade and Durant are 11 and 12.

Barkley, Malone, and McGrady honorable mentions.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

I don’t have a specific ranking, but:

Magic, Bird, Kareem, Hakeem, Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Durant

Which isn't a terrible top 10 of all time list
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

If you were old enough to see prime Abdul-Jabar, then I find it hard for you not to include Moses Malone on your list. I wasn't studying basketball when he played, but I remember seeing him as a small child. He was absolutely dominant.

I think Durant will eventually move up my list, but for now, he's kind of the best sidekick ever in my book until I see otherwise.

He's the most freakish player ever though, even moreso than Jordan, Iverson, Shaq, James, ad Williamson. Nobody that big and long should be able to do what he does with his level of skill.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

The first game I went to was during the Shaq/Kobe era.

Kobe is far and away the best I've seen in person. Shaq. Lebron. Nash. Pau. Rubio was awesome to see live.

Edit, I thought this meant in person lol.

Last edited by loslakersss on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
activeverb wrote:

If you were old enough to see prime Abdul-Jabar, then I find it hard for you not to include Moses Malone on your list. I wasn't studying basketball when he played, but I remember seeing him as a small child. He was absolutely dominant.

I think Durant will eventually move up my list, but for now, he's kind of the best sidekick ever in my book until I see otherwise.

He's the most freakish player ever though, even moreso than Jordan, Iverson, Shaq, James, ad Williamson. Nobody that big and long should be able to do what he does with his level of skill.

Moses was a great player: a relentless rebounder with a fairly straightforward style. I don't really have any emotional reaction to Moses, though. And I don't have any particularly fond or strong memories of him. For those reasons, I'd rank him lower on my personal list than I would if I were ranking players purely on their achievements.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

And here's a list of guys who I particularly like, because they were high-energy and/or demonstrated skills you wouldn't have expected ...

Jeff Hornacek
Dennis Rodman
Steve Nash
Arvydas Sabonis
Spud Webb
Tim Hardaway
Tom Chambers
Dan Marleje
Bill Walton
Anthony Mason
Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I missed Prime Jordan, only started paying attention to NBA around mid 90s and even with that I only really watched the Bulls because my family were Jordan fans. Really became a strong NBA fan in the very late 90s/early 2000s.

My Most Impressive Players:

1. Kobe
2. Late Prime Jordan
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Prime T-Mac
6. Lebron
7. Durant
8. Curry
9. Prime KG
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, DeMarcus Cousins, Derek Fisher, Beno Udrih.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

Are we talking for their career or parts of it? Because Bill Walton for a brief time was an all time great. His body just couldn’t sustain it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Are we talking for their career or parts of it? Because Bill Walton for a brief time was an all time great. His body just couldn’t sustain it.

Bill was amazing when he was able to play. He and Bill Russell may have been the two guys who were most able to impact a game without being big scorers.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Bill was amazing when he was able to play. He and Bill Russell may have been the two guys who were most able to impact a game without being big scorers.

Them and Magic.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

a little off topic, but do you have an opinion on who was the greatest college player of all time......Jabbar or Walton? It seems they often both are recognized with the recognition.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

My first memories of basketball as a little kid are probably from 93-94 (Vlade Divac, Elden Campbell, Sedale Threatt, old James Worthy, Anthony Miller, et cetera) but I started following around 97-98 or so

Probably

Kobe
Shaq
End of career Jordan
James
Duncan
Durant
Curry
Nowitzki
Nash
Garnett

Out of the top 10 I'd say Gasol, end of career Pippen, Malone, Stockton, Rodman.

And I really, really liked that 90s Supersonics team. Shawn Kemp was cool as (bleep) to watch. I kinda miss them, I really liked their logo, uniforms and color scheme ((bleep) the Thunder).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
My first memories of basketball as a little kid are probably from 93-94 (Vlade Divac, Elden Campbell, Sedale Threatt, old James Worthy, Anthony Miller, et cetera) but I started following around 97-98 or so

I think you meant Anthony Peeler? Loved that team....when Van Exel, Threatt and Peeler were on the court together, it was hard to know who was who if you were not looking closely....3 bald guys of similar height. It was Van Exel's rookie season and that team also had Doug Christie, Kurt Rambis, George Lynch and Sam Bowie.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

a little off topic, but do you have an opinion on who was the greatest college player of all time......Jabbar or Walton? It seems they often both are recognized with the recognition.

That's a tough one not having actually watched a lot of either's college games. I lean Kareem because of his singular unstoppable shot, but Walton was a beast.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Just add Maravich to that conversation and debate away...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:

I think you meant Anthony Peeler? Loved that team....when Van Exel, Threatt and Peeler were on the court together, it was hard to know who was who if you were not looking closely....3 bald guys of similar height. It was Van Exel's rookie season and that team also had Doug Christie, Kurt Rambis, George Lynch and Sam Bowie.

He means Anthony "Pig" Miller.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:

I forgot about Pig Miller....he arrived in the 94-95 Season. (I did not know that by memory, but looked it up)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Just add Maravich to that conversation and debate away...

I do not have much of an opinion because I did not see any of them play. I just noticed that I hear people refer to Jabbar and Walton in that manner often...as kind of a accepted fact. But you are correct, I have heard arguments for Maravich, David Thompson, Oscar Robertson and Jerry West. Even heard arguments for Hank Gathers.

Gathers was the only one that I saw play....and actually, I am not even sure I saw him play in real time. I definitely recall him passing, and I recall Bo Kimble in the tournament after Gathers passed. The best or most accomplished players that I have actually watched is probably between Christian Laettner, Glenn Robinson, Tim Duncan and Glen Rice. I remember Danny Ferry, but again, I was too young to really know how good someone was....just recall him being considered the best player in college.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

i mean, kobe is for sure the best i've ever seen.

pistol pete...very interesting. passes like magic and shoots like curry...all before any of them. here's what drob has to say about it...

https://streamable.com/9gph
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:

I forgot about Pig Miller....he arrived in the 94-95 Season. (I did not know that by memory, but looked it up)

Pig was Mbenga before Mbenga was Mbenga
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Are you asking how good they were throughout the period I was able to watch them?

1.) kobe
2.) jordan
3.) magic
4.) shaq
5.) duncan
6.) pippen
7.) olajuwon
8.) james
9.) curry
10.) malone
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:

kobe
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:

Yeah, it was Pig Miller. But you're right, he wasn't on the team until 94-95

The first season of Eddie Jones
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

I started watching around 1960.
The players who I have grown to believe were the most skilled and had the most impact, at there peak, were, (the order is tough, I tried):

1. Magic
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Kobe
5. Shaq
6. Walton
7. Russell
8. Bird
9. Olajuwon
10. West
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: