Lakers Approaching Historic Disappointment in LeBron's First Season

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Lakers Approaching Historic Disappointment in LeBron's First Season

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport

Lakers Approaching Historic Disappointment in LeBron's First Season
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827846-lakers-approaching-historic-disappointment-in-lebrons-first-season

Cheers,

Eric
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

This has been the worst season. Last year I was really looking forward to this season, with the growth of the kids. Even when we lost the games were watchable as they fought till the end. This year I just can't.... All that talent gone for what to watch chaos that surrounds LBJ.

Coach Wooden
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

This season was destroyed when LeBron got hurt on Xmas night. It was understandable that the team was not the same and proved unsuccessful when he was on the bench injured. But it's what we've witnessed since that seems so disturbing.

LeBron's demeanor and some of his actions since his return have not been what we need from the leader of the team and so-called GOAT. Some Laker fans are wondering if he just came to LA to get one more mega payday whilst being semi-retired. And it's not an unfair question based on his at times gloomy, passive/aggressive countenance.

The organization's choice to leave a weak coach in place after they acquired LeBron was stupid. Some of the roster choices were made on the fly after LeBron was signed and I think the org made a credible effort to craft a team that could compete.

Next season is going to go a long way toward determining where LeBron actually rates on the all-time scale. It's not just the numbers, or number of championships. It's also the way a so-called GOAT leads his team. He's unquestionably one of the all-time greats, but he's not playing in Cleveland or Miami anymore. The expectations in those towns are much lower than they've been in Los Angeles since the team arrived in SoCal with Elgin Baylor and Jerry West in 1960. No need to list all the other champions and HOFers that followed those guys into Lakers lore.

LeBron has a lot to live up to in Los Angeles. afaic this season is a wash. If he doesn't get hurt, I think we're at least a playoff team this season. It's not all the losing after he got hurt that concerns me, it's the vibe coming from the guy and the rest of the team since that point.

And of course the catastrophic failed pursuit of Anthony Davis at midseason, and the young guys unsurprising inability to rise above it, be professionals and play thru it, didn't help matters.

Ultimately imo this season is a wash and LeBron gets a pass due to his record of achievement. The front office has a lot of work to do this offseason, and the next coaching hire needs to actually be a GOOD one. No more mistakes in that area. Magic and Pelinka blew in with a lot of bluster and noise. They got LeBron, kudos for that, but the jury is still out on them. Jeanie ran a great power-play to take over the org, that's nice, but she's on the clock for this disaster now too.

This is a real-time, rapid-fire world we live in today. The Lakers have a rich tradition that means a lot to old-timers like me, but maybe not as much to the newer fans. They're jacking ticket prices up again. For what? For what we've been watching THIS season? Raising ticket prices right now is an insult to the customers.

Nothing lasts forever. Jeanie and Magic better realize that. Now more than ever it's "what have you done for me lately?" And LeBron better realize that too.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

^Great post as always.

Honestly to me, first order of business is getting back to the playoffs.

I don't care how they do it, but they need to do it. 6 years is a ridiculous drought for a franchise with our pedigree and resources.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
This season was destroyed when LeBron got hurt on Xmas night. . . Nothing lasts forever. Jeanie and Magic better realize that. Now more than ever it's "what have you done for me lately?" And LeBron better realize that too.

Outstanding take by an adult.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: