OFFICIAL Lakers Coaching Thread (Lue Negotiation Break Down)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
Does this sound familiar or what? I encourage everyone to read...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14629892/nba-final-unraveling-david-blatt

Quote:
This set the stage for a traumatic tenure for Blatt. In fairness, this was not the team he had been hired to coach, as James had signed and the young player Blatt was primarily hired to develop, Andrew Wiggins, had been traded to acquire Kevin Love.

"David was hired to coach a developmental team and young players who would've wanted to please him," one team source said. "He ended up coaching a finished product where the players expected him to please them."

To complicate matters, the Cavs hired the runner-up for the job, Lue, to be Blatt's assistant. To keep him away from the Clippers, the Cavs gave him a record four-year, $6.5 million deal -- for an assistant. Gilbert would later call the coaching staff the best he had assembled in his time as owner.

It sure does!
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
If Pelinka is the acting PBO, does anyone know if he has contacted LeBron about his preference?

Or if he's unofficially consulted any of the potential Max Free Agents about their preference?

The one thing about Pelinka that sorta gives me hope is he seems like the type of guy who will toe the line in negotiations. I have no doubt he will not miss on a max free agent for lack of trying.

That's why I believe that if Monty is our 1st choice, he's LeBron's 1st choice and a potential max free agent's 1st choice.

My wild theory is that because of the apparent power struggle that went on in the FO before Magic quit, Pelinka and Jeanie might be planning to trade Lebron this off season if they can't get a 2nd max star. So therefore I don't think they're asking for Lebron's input.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
Does this sound familiar or what? I encourage everyone to read...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14629892/nba-final-unraveling-david-blatt

Quote:
This set the stage for a traumatic tenure for Blatt. In fairness, this was not the team he had been hired to coach, as James had signed and the young player Blatt was primarily hired to develop, Andrew Wiggins, had been traded to acquire Kevin Love.

"David was hired to coach a developmental team and young players who would've wanted to please him," one team source said. "He ended up coaching a finished product where the players expected him to please them."

To complicate matters, the Cavs hired the runner-up for the job, Lue, to be Blatt's assistant. To keep him away from the Clippers, the Cavs gave him a record four-year, $6.5 million deal -- for an assistant. Gilbert would later call the coaching staff the best he had assembled in his time as owner.

It sure does!

Not even close to the same thing as Luke and Lebron. Luke was hired 3 years ago. He coached us for 2 years. Luke knew the FO's plan and knew we were going after Lebron and was fully prepared to coach a team with Lebron and young core. Unlike Blatt who signed to coach a bottom feeder team and then 1 month later finds out Bron is coming back and it's title time or bust.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
If Pelinka is the acting PBO, does anyone know if he has contacted LeBron about his preference?

Or if he's unofficially consulted any of the potential Max Free Agents about their preference?

The one thing about Pelinka that sorta gives me hope is he seems like the type of guy who will toe the line in negotiations. I have no doubt he will not miss on a max free agent for lack of trying.

That's why I believe that if Monty is our 1st choice, he's LeBron's 1st choice and a potential max free agent's 1st choice.

My wild theory is that because of the apparent power struggle that went on in the FO before Magic quit, Pelinka and Jeanie might be planning to trade Lebron this off season if they can't get a 2nd max star. So therefore I don't think they're asking for Lebron's input.

Trading Lebron would nuke the Lakers as an FA destination. Jeanie/Rob would be done. They can't do that unless Lebron demands a trade, an embarrassment that would destroy them as well. Either way, their ability to win with Lebron will determine their fate.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Trading Lebron would nuke the Lakers as an FA destination. Jeanie/Rob would be done. They can't do that unless Lebron demands a trade, an embarrassment that would destroy them as well. Either way, their ability to win with Lebron will determine their fate.

Have you been paying attention the last few years? Jeanie has been continually nuking us. Those rumors a few months ago about Jeanie wanting to trade Bron because she was pissed at the way Klutch handled the AD situation seems to be true now. I initially thought it was made up. I think they will go to Lebron and tell him if he's ok with a trade and where he would like to go if we can't land a 2nd superstar.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Colin Cowpoop reports that Monty may back out of the running if the Laker job is a distraction to the 76ers or if they get eliminated early (as he would take an offer from the Sixers to replace Brent Brown over the Lakers). if so, ty lue would be the guy.

I could live with this.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

So basically Monte is turning the job down for a better gig but will accept the Lakers job if he can’t get the one he wants?

Twilight zone experience continues... if the Lakers accept this circumstance they are in bigger trouble than I thought.

Franchise may have to have a change of ownership to get back to where it was...a proud iconic winning organization.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Have you been paying attention the last few years? Jeanie has been continually nuking us. Those rumors a few months ago about Jeanie wanting to trade Bron because she was pissed at the way Klutch handled the AD situation seems to be true now. I initially thought it was made up. I think they will go to Lebron and tell him if he's ok with a trade and where he would like to go if we can't land a 2nd superstar.

What would the situation/atmosphere be if he told them that he wanted to stay in LA because of his media & other non basketball business?
Laker Shaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

At least Ty Lue was a Laker at one time. A bit of common ground there between the Lakers and James' camp?
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Laker Shaker wrote:
At least Ty Lue was a Laker at one time. A bit of common ground there between the Lakers and James' camp?

Lakers fans don't know what they want. You either want the organization to consider candidates outside the Laker circle or not.

Im fine with Monty Williams. He's probably the top head coaching prospect right now. He'd be here to develop the guys and I think he'd put together a very good staff. He's extremely well liked around the league which is probably the balance we need with Pelinka (who is not well liked around the league)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Hey I'm all for it. I just don't know if Jeanie/Rob have the balls to do it.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Why do people like Brett Brown if he can't make it past the second round? Why are we assuming he's good?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Why do people like Brett Brown if he can't make it past the second round? Why are we assuming he's good?

I find Brown to be vastly overrated but I am hoping he gets to the conference finals so that we get Monty.

Monty is best available imo out of the mentioned candidates.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Probably because he is from the Pop coaching tree.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Probably because he is from the Pop coaching tree.

He was slow to adjust against Boston last year, but once TJ McConnell started in place of Simmons, they looked much better the last two games.
Laker Shaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
Laker Shaker wrote:

Lakers fans don't know what they want. You either want the organization to consider candidates outside the Laker circle or not.

Im fine with Monty Williams. He's probably the top head coaching prospect right now. He'd be here to develop the guys and I think he'd put together a very good staff. He's extremely well liked around the league which is probably the balance we need with Pelinka (who is not well liked around the league)

Well, the coach won't be as crucial as the head office position, imo....which players can be brought in is more important. Lue seems like a safe bet at least. But Monty sounds like a good option.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject:

Can Riley let us have Spo.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

While anything is possible, this is the least likely scenario.

Jeanie is not a basketball person...she's a marketing person. LeBron is the biggest ticket in basketball, bar none. Jeanie would lose so much business leverage trading LeBron that she'd likely get voted out in the next power struggle.

My theory before Magic became PBO was he was staying close to the Lakers and causing drama to drive them down so he and his Financial Group could BUY the Lakers at their lowest point.

I still think that could be true.

The value of the Lakers with LeBron is much higher than without. That's about all anyone needs to know when considering whether JEANIE would approve trading LeBron.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Jeanie is not a basketball person...she's a marketing person. LeBron is the biggest ticket in basketball, bar none. Jeanie would lose so much business leverage trading LeBron that she'd likely get voted out in the next power struggle.

My theory before Magic became PBO was he was staying close to the Lakers and causing drama to drive them down so he and his Financial Group could BUY the Lakers at their lowest point.

The value of the Lakers with LeBron is much higher than without. That's about all anyone needs to know when considering whether JEANIE would approve trading LeBron.

Why does AEG decline?
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Why does AEG decline?

Didn't say they'd decline. I said the Laker's Franchise value would decline. Prospective buyers would not pay as much for the Lakers with this amount of disarray and if the current ownership has made this Franchise toxic in the eyes of Free Agents/Stars.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Why does AEG decline?

Didn't say they'd decline. I said the Laker's Franchise value would decline. Prospective buyers would not pay as much for the Lakers with this amount of disarray and if the current ownership has made this Franchise toxic in the eyes of Free Agents/Stars.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Lakers expected to remain a Buss family-owned team4

Quote:

The Lakers, a city treasure that sports one of the NBA's highest payrolls and generations of loyal fans, are said to be worth an estimated $1 billion.

But will they remain the property of the Buss family after team owner Jerry Buss' death Monday?

AEG Chairman Philip Anschutz, who owns Staples Center, the Kings and 27% of the Lakers, has the right of first refusal if the Buss family wants to sell the franchise, according to spokesmen from both AEG and the Lakers. Buss purchased the team in 1979. Other owners include Patrick Soon-Shiong with 4% and Ed Roski with 3%. The Buss family owns the remaining 66%.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject:

Throw a future pick to the Mavs for Carlisle. Make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league so nobody can do a power play on him. I hate the fact that he is a former Celtic, but the guy always has his teams playing better than the talent he has to work with. His teams always play hard and he keeps drama in the locker room where it belongs. Jeanie, please don't fuc^k this up.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

I must say the speculative imagination of some of the posts in this thread are really top-notch if not for the most part totally unrealistic.

Good job!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I must say the speculative imagination of some of the posts in this thread are really top-notch if not for the most part totally unrealistic.

Good job!
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
So basically Monte is turning the job down for a better gig but will accept the Lakers job if he can’t get the one he wants?

Twilight zone experience continues... if the Lakers accept this circumstance they are in bigger trouble than I thought.

Franchise may have to have a change of ownership to get back to where it was...a proud iconic winning organization.

My feelings exactly. Assuming these "reports" are true, I don't want the Lakers to be some novice coach's sloppy seconds. We need people in here that think of coaching the Lakers as a Number 1 priority and a privilege, not some fallback job, dammit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 34 of 147
Jump to: