ESPN Article: How the Lakers Wasted Year 1 of LeBron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW Lakers were 28-27 this year with LBJ
15-8 with all young talent and LBJ
They were 4th in West pre groin injury

I don’t think it’s a given they will do great
But there’s a GREAT chance if we can sign a max player this summer
That next year we’ll be a 3rd or better seed in the West.

Why is it such a big deal that at one point the Lakers were 4th? Schedule and most of the West was clustered together withing 3-4 games still.

At around that same December calendar time the Grizzlies were in the playoffs and Rockets and Jazz were not. That is why they play all 82 games.

Schedules balance out, depth is challenged by injuries and good teams eventually distance themselves while the bad teams tend to find their true place in the rankings.

Lakers had some bad losses when at full strength in the early part of the season too. Same as they had them once James returned. I agree with the premise that the multiple injuries and dysfunctional chemistry kept the Lakers from making the playoffs. Just question how much of a realistic threat they actually would have been even at full strength. Still had major flaws to overcome with the overall roster. At their best they were a borderline playoff team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just question how much of a realistic threat they actually would have been even at full strength. Still had major flaws to overcome with the overall roster. At their best they were a borderline playoff team.

Full strength, I see us in the playoffs. When healthy, we had depth:

Lonzo/Rondo
BI/KCP/Hart
LBJ/Lance
Kuz/Beez
JaV/Zub ( )/Tyson.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
i.e. ESPN is either Lebron lovers or Lebron haters. They are either loving this situation or hating it.

judging from First Take's coverage etc at the very top, I'd have to say that ESPN loves Lebron and rightly so. Although I'm sure there is an anti-Lebron wing to the organization as well.

Do you actually think ESPN has staff meetings to discuss whether they should be pro-Lebron or anti-Lebron, or pro-Laker or anti-Laker? In this weird day and age, maybe you do. Conspiracy theories are hot right now.

ESPN has a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of different opinions. ESPN likes to set them up to argue with each other. ESPN is about ratings, not fan agendas. The Lakers draw ratings, so ESPN just wants the Lakers to be interesting. Interesting good? Interesting bad? It doesn't matter to ESPN, as long as it is interesting.

yes, of course what you say is obviously right and I do agree with you. That was a big splashy article, however, and such powerful opnion makers at ESPN as Stephen A Smith, Max Kellerman and Ramona Shelburne have been extremely reluctant to criticize Magic Johnson at all for years. Commentators crowed about what an amazing move trading DAngelo Russell for a #27 pick was, and barely made a peep when Lopez and Randle were abandoned. Sure there were a few question marks when KCP, Rondo, Lance, McGee, Beasley and the rest of the weirdo squad were signed, but hey, Magic was a "basketball savant" and combined with Lonzo that crew might be magical. Of course by the time zubac was being traded for Muscala the eyebrows were starting to raise. but yeah

That's a little bit of an exaggeration (I don't remember many commentators crowing about the Russell trade), but I agree with your general point. Magic does have a certain aura. It took some time before the pundits were comfortable with openly criticizing him. This reminds me of Isiah Thomas and the Knicks. There was a period of time in which the pundits gushed over Isiah. Eventually, it became apparent that he had no idea what he was doing. The media turned on him at that point.

I hope Magic makes all of us skeptics look bad this summer. If Magic loses, we all lose. In fact, if Magic gets fired or forced to resign, that would just add to the appearance of dysfunctionality. We all need Magic to hit a home run.

By the way, just for grins, I looked up how the pundits rated the Russell trade at the time:

SI gives the Lakers a B- and the Nets an A

ESPN gives the Lakers a B and the Nets an A-

CBS gives the Lakers an A- and the Nets an A

Fox Sports gives the Lakers a B and the Nets an A
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Interesting tidbits for me (and I like Dave McM...).

-Corey Brewer spilled the beans on Lakers/Magic to PG13 when he joined OKC.
-we were interested in trading for Jimmy.

Wtf did we do to Brewer?

To be fair, calling it spilling the beans is a bit overdoing it. The most likelihood of scenarios is that PG asked how it was like playing for the Lakers and he answered truthfully. It doens't have to be malicious and it probably wasn't. If I jumped to another company and my new coworkers asked what it was like at the old place I'd tell them.

Painting it like he's out there maliciously trying to tear down the Lakers is silly. Our front office is doing more than enough to tear down our team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Why is it such a big deal that at one point the Lakers were 4th? Schedule and most of the West was clustered together withing 3-4 games still.

At around that same December calendar time the Grizzlies were in the playoffs and Rockets and Jazz were not. That is why they play all 82 games.

Schedules balance out, depth is challenged by injuries and good teams eventually distance themselves while the bad teams tend to find their true place in the rankings.

Lakers had some bad losses when at full strength in the early part of the season too. Same as they had them once James returned. I agree with the premise that the multiple injuries and dysfunctional chemistry kept the Lakers from making the playoffs. Just question how much of a realistic threat they actually would have been even at full strength. Still had major flaws to overcome with the overall roster. At their best they were a borderline playoff team.

I agree with all of this. The specific circumstances were just sort of cruel, with Lebron and Rondo going down on Christmas Day in the midst of what we hoped was a statement win. Then we looked like we were getting it together again behind Ball, with a thrilling win at OKC and a big lead at Houston. Bam. It’s like the basketball gods said, “Not on our watch.”

But yeah, we weren’t likely to finish in the top four. It would have been nice not to be talking about tanking, though.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I agree with all of this. The specific circumstances were just sort of cruel, with Lebron and Rondo going down on Christmas Day in the midst of what we hoped was a statement win. Then we looked like we were getting it together again behind Ball, with a thrilling win at OKC and a big lead at Houston. Bam. It’s like the basketball gods said, “Not on our watch.”

But yeah, we weren’t likely to finish in the top four. It would have been nice not to be talking about tanking, though.

We all knew this was a holdover year, and we definitely had the talent to make the playoffs. That's where the injuries come in. They prevented us from achieving what was really the minimum expectation for the team this year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

We all knew this was a holdover year, and we definitely had the talent to make the playoffs. That's where the injuries come in. They prevented us from achieving what was really the minimum expectation for the team this year.

To me, there was never an expectation of making a lot of noise in the playoffs this year. It was more about showing promise to attract free agents who might think our team/young players were ready to take a leap forward.

If we had made the playoffs because Ball, Ingram and Kuz had stayed healthy and made a jump, it would have been meaningful.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

man you guys really think the injuries are the cause of all this. you guys are in for a surprise.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
man you guys really think the injuries are the cause of all this. you guys are in for a surprise.

All of what exactly? It's not really debatable IMO. We were playing very well until our starting lineup all went down and we coincidentally started losing.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

All of what exactly? It's not really debatable IMO. We were playing very well until our starting lineup all went down and we coincidentally started losing.

Schedule was also easier at the start of the season. And every team needs to survive injuries to some extent.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Schedule was also easier at the start of the season. And every team needs to survive injuries to some extent.

This is not true. And of course every team needs to survive injuries, that's where coaching and chemistry come into play. Putting your hands over your ears and ignoring injuries doesn't change the fact that it's what caused our losing. Basketball is a game of momentum. LBJ then Ball, then Ingram and the rest of our role players going down completely killed ours.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

This is not true. And of course every team needs to survive injuries, that's where coaching and chemistry come into play. Putting your hands over your ears and ignoring injuries doesn't change the fact that it's what caused our losing. Basketball is a game of momentum. LBJ then Ball, then Ingram and the rest of our role players going down completely killed ours.

Yes it is. There was talk over and over how the team's schedule was home-heavier and against more lotto-level teams to start the season and they needed to win games before the road/playoff-team-heavier-schedule hit.

The injuries were a factor, they were not the lone cause. The roster construction was a bigger cause. The disastrous AD-trade leaks were another. 32 million should have bought enough help to weather injury storms, instead it bought players that performed worse than G-league-level talent. A better front office would've averted these things.

The battle was lost before it was fought.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

yeah part of it is this strategy of freeing up cap space to be ready when that big star falls in your lap. Which leads to dumping players like Randle, Russell, etc you'd have to pay in order to have a clean slate rather than resigning assets and then building with them or trading them. I mean aside from Lebron and some rookie deals we'll have almost nothing on the salary cap -- which isnt good, it means we have no roster. And holy **** dont tell me Lonzo are we all stupid?

But then again if it had been executed correctly, it could've worked out far better. Lebron fell into their laps after all.

But yeah next year will be the 3rd year that Magic tries to go magically from worst to first. To me it looks like Lebron is so discouraged and down. I just wonder does he wake up this summer and say**** it let me out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

It's Superboy. He means that it is all because we think that Lebron is more than an average player.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
First, ESPN hates the Lakers. They use us for click-fodder with their anti-Laker drama, and it always works.

Second, *F* Paula George. None of his teams have ever been to the NBA Finals, and even with Westbrook, they're looking at yet another 1st round exit. Having Paula would not have gotten us anything other than a 1st round exit. Stop building this weak minded loser up as some great NBA Finals mesiah. He's an overachieving beta and he's right where he belongs, with another no Ring-getting fool (Westbrook).

U hit it on the nose. Paul Gay is just that. A loser. Everyone on here needs to quit listening to the media and form your own opinions. The media is East coast biased and they hate Magic. Do u recall for you young folks that believe the media, Magic dominated the 80's, so everyone hates the Lakers. They are saying anything possible so another big free agent does not sign here. Reason is fear. Paul Gay hates pressure. That is why he stayed in lil ole Oklahoma. Zubac has sucked for years. All of a sudden, he was the Lakers missing link. Hahahahaha. If Randle is so good, why aren't the Pelicans in the playoffs. Russell and the Nets made the playoffs with a 500 record. But will be swept in the first round. Boo hoo hoo.

Form your own opinions LGers. Lakers are in the Lottery have the greatest player (old but great) and lots of good young talent. Lets get a good coach that commands respect and we will be fine. One big free agent would not hurt and the front office has provided that flexibility.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

chains wrote:
troy wrote:
First, ESPN hates the Lakers. They use us for click-fodder with their anti-Laker drama, and it always works.

Second, *F* Paula George. None of his teams have ever been to the NBA Finals, and even with Westbrook, they're looking at yet another 1st round exit. Having Paula would not have gotten us anything other than a 1st round exit. Stop building this weak minded loser up as some great NBA Finals mesiah. He's an overachieving beta and he's right where he belongs, with another no Ring-getting fool (Westbrook).

U hit it on the nose. Paul Gay is just that. A loser. Everyone on here needs to quit listening to the media and form your own opinions. The media is East coast biased and they hate Magic. Do u recall for you young folks that believe the media, Magic dominated the 80's, so everyone hates the Lakers. They are saying anything possible so another big free agent does not sign here. Reason is fear. Paul Gay hates pressure. That is why he stayed in lil ole Oklahoma. Zubac has sucked for years. All of a sudden, he was the Lakers missing link. Hahahahaha. If Randle is so good, why aren't the Pelicans in the playoffs. Russell and the Nets made the playoffs with a 500 record. But will be swept in the first round. Boo hoo hoo.

Form your own opinions LGers. Lakers are in the Lottery have the greatest player (old but great) and lots of good young talent. Lets get a good coach that commands respect and we will be fine. One big free agent would not hurt and the front office has provided that flexibility.

That's all what needs to be said

When you add one of the greatest players of all time and are 8 games under .500, there's no need to form another opinion. The Lakers suck and someone in charge needs to be held accountable. Is a decent record even too much to ask?

Covering your ears and screaming "we're the lakers" isn't acceptable anymore when they haven't made the playoffs for the last 6 years and counting, especially after adding a player like lebron.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Yes it is. There was talk over and over how the team's schedule was home-heavier and against more lotto-level teams to start the season and they needed to win games before the road/playoff-team-heavier-schedule hit.

The injuries were a factor, they were not the lone cause. The roster construction was a bigger cause. The disastrous AD-trade leaks were another. 32 million should have bought enough help to weather injury storms, instead it bought players that performed worse than G-league-level talent. A better front office would've averted these things.

This is like the 3rd time I've posted this but I'll do it once more. These are all the teams we beat before LBJ went down.

Denver
Portland
Minnesota (with Butler)
Portland
Utah
Indiana
San Antonio
Golden state on Christmas

We were 20-14 at this point, playing great basketball until all our momentum was flattened not just after this game, but when we had that big lead against the Rockets when Zo got injured. What I find particularly ironic is how you are claiming injuries are no excuse, but then making excuses for why we were actually playing good basketball with our "poorly constructed" roster. We had everything we needed to make the playoffs, until we didn't.

"The battle was lost before it was fought", this is a meaningless phrase and is demonstrably false.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

This is like the 3rd time I've posted this but I'll do it once more. These are all the teams we beat before LBJ went down.

Denver
Portland
Minnesota (with Butler)
Portland
Utah
Indiana
San Antonio

We were 20-14 at this point, playing great basketball until all our momentum was flattened not just after this game, but when we had that big lead against the Rockets when Zo got injured. What I find particularly ironic is how you are claiming injuries are no excuse, but then making excuses for why we were actually playing good basketball with our "poorly constructed" roster. We had everything we needed to make the playoffs, until we didn't.

"The battle was lost before it was fought", this is a meaningless phrase and is demonstrably false.

TBH many of the playoff teams still hadn't taken the season seriously at Christmas. Houston was near the bottom of the standings at that point and the Warriors were middle of the pack.

To me it's not so much the bad record/missing the playoffs. The main goal in my mind was seeing which players on the roster were the so called 'keepers.' In that regard it really was a lost season due to injuries, trade rumors, bad fitting roster, etc.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
trablos wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Denver
Portland
Minnesota (with Butler)
Portland
Utah
Indiana
San Antonio

Well i didn't say we didn't play ANY playoff teams in the first half of the season, did I?

You listed 8 "good" teams we beat for our first 20 wins (including 2 against the Wolves, who weren't good with Butler either--they've never been .500 this season, with or without him). Doesn't that mean the other 12 were non-playoff teams?

First 41 games: 22 non-playoff teams faced
2nd 41 games: 15

As I said, the schedule was tougher in the 2nd half of the season. When injuries, struck, we depended on guys (Rondo, Lance, Beasley, Tyson) who either should be playing overseas...or currently are

Battle was lost before it was won.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
troy wrote:

U hit it on the nose. Paul Gay is just that. A loser. Everyone on here needs to quit listening to the media and form your own opinions. The media is East coast biased and they hate Magic. Do u recall for you young folks that believe the media, Magic dominated the 80's, so everyone hates the Lakers. They are saying anything possible so another big free agent does not sign here. Reason is fear. Paul Gay hates pressure. That is why he stayed in lil ole Oklahoma. Zubac has sucked for years. All of a sudden, he was the Lakers missing link. Hahahahaha. If Randle is so good, why aren't the Pelicans in the playoffs. Russell and the Nets made the playoffs with a 500 record. But will be swept in the first rund. Boo hoo hoo.

When you add one of the greatest players of all time and are 8 games under .500, there's no need to form another opinion. The Lakers suck and someone in charge needs to be held accountable. Is a decent record even too much to ask?

Covering your ears and screaming "we're the lakers" isn't acceptable anymore when they haven't made the playoffs for the last 6 years and counting, especially after adding a player like lebron.

We didn’t add one of the greatest players of all time, we added one of the greatest players of all time 3 seasons after he was that great.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

ESPN is obsessed with the Lakers. The Lakers have been out of the playoffs for weeks and two of their top 6 headlines today are about the Lakers. They just can't quit talking about this team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26439244/lebron-offseason-critical-lakers

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26441053/curry-lebron-lakers-regroup-next-season
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
ESPN is obsessed with the Lakers. The Lakers have been out of the playoffs for weeks and two of their top 6 headlines today are about the Lakers. They just can't quit talking about this team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26441053/curry-lebron-lakers-regroup-next-season

Any media "obsession" is a mere reflection of our own obsession. They wouldn't make the content if people didn't click on it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Any media "obsession" is a mere reflection of our own obsession. They wouldn't make the content if people didn't click on it.

That’s right. For the media, the size of the fan base matters more than the results. It’s not that people don’t care about the Bucks or the Spurs, but in the aggregate they care more about the Lakers.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
chains wrote:
troy wrote:

U hit it on the nose. Paul Gay is just that. A loser. Everyone on here needs to quit listening to the media and form your own opinions. The media is East coast biased and they hate Magic. Do u recall for you young folks that believe the media, Magic dominated the 80's, so everyone hates the Lakers. They are saying anything possible so another big free agent does not sign here. Reason is fear. Paul Gay hates pressure. That is why he stayed in lil ole Oklahoma. Zubac has sucked for years. All of a sudden, he was the Lakers missing link. Hahahahaha. If Randle is so good, why aren't the Pelicans in the playoffs. Russell and the Nets made the playoffs with a 500 record. But will be swept in the first rund. Boo hoo hoo.

We didn’t add one of the greatest players of all time, we added one of the greatest players of all time 3 seasons after he was that great.

Which is still a top 10-15 player at worst. It's not like lebron was coming off an injury like post-achillies kobe.

Yet the lakers are 8 games under .500 despite having such a player for more than 50 games. Shows you how much the FO screwed up in the other areas for the team to produce such a result.

A decent amount of teams can have records hovering around .500 without a player producing like lebron for 50+ games. It's excusable the lakers can't do the same and clear such a low bar.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

I don't think, I know injuries were the reason for the vast majority of this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: