ESPN Article: How the Lakers Wasted Year 1 of LeBron
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: ESPN Article: How the Lakers Wasted Year 1 of LeBron

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26335718/how-lakers-wasted-year-1-lebron

Sobering read.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When he veered from that course and re-signed with Oklahoma City in the summer of 2018, league sources told ESPN it was always more of what the Thunder did right than what the Lakers did wrong. The Thunder traded for him after all, taking a chance with no promises of a long-term commitment. Then they worked to make him feel at home, selling a partnership with Russell Westbrook.

George never gave the Lakers an opportunity to shoot their shot. But he had a wealth of information available to him about the inner-workings of the Lakers without ever hearing a word from Magic Johnson. For example, George played in Oklahoma City with Corey Brewer in the second half of the 2017-18 season after Brewer was waived by L.A. in February. Brewer divulged his Lakers experience to George, sources said.

Quote:
But rather than leave well enough alone, Johnson couldn't help but take a swipe at Russell on the guard's way out the door.

"He has the talent to be an All-Star. We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader," Johnson said, days after the trade in June 2017. "I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also [somebody] that players want to play with."

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Even though the Lakers controlled Randle's rights as a restricted free agent, L.A. never made an offer to Randle, sources told ESPN. This despite coach Luke Walton and his staff's preference to keep Randle, as earlier reported by The Athletic and confirmed by ESPN.

Mintz eventually asked the Lakers to renounce Randle's rights and navigated his client to the New Orleans Pelicans, where he signed a two-year, $18 million contract with a player option on the second year. Randle was won over, sources said, by the fact that the Pelicans really wanted him -- which wasn't the feeling he got from the Lakers.

L.A. signed Rajon Rondo to a one-year, $9 million deal with money it theoretically could have offered to Randle. This after the Lakers agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal to re-sign Caldwell-Pope. Any offer to Randle that was below what Caldwell-Pope received was untenable, considering Randle was more productive the previous season. Especially so with Randle playing in all 82 games and Caldwell-Pope available for just 74 because of legal issues.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
June 30, 2018: Los Angeles waives center Thomas Bryant, a 2017 draft-night acquisition from the Utah Jazz along with Josh Hart, because the Lakers do not want to guarantee his $1.4 million salary.

Quote:
July 8, 2018: Brook Lopez leaves the Lakers and signs a one-year, $3.3 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks. He later tells The Lowe Post Podcast he was "a little surprised" the Lakers didn't work harder to keep him because he "would have wanted to play there."

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And with no Lopez or Bryant on the roster and early attempts to play Kuzma and Beasley at small-ball center unsuccessful, there was no choice but to rely on undrafted, 6-foot-9 rookie Johnathan Williams to play backup minutes behind McGee.

Through the first seven games, the Lakers tried 93 different lineups -- second most in the league -- as Walton scrambled to find something that worked.
And after a 2-5 start, Johnson called Walton into a meeting, expressing disappointment and demanding better results from his coach.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
L.A., sources said, was one of several teams to inquire about Jimmy Butler before the swingman was traded to Philadelphia, for instance.

Quote:
When Zubac finally got meaningful minutes, he averaged 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds, including an 18-point, 11-board effort on Christmas Day.
Zubac -- drafted as a raw 7-1, 240-pound center in the second round in 2016 -- had turned himself into a viable prospect under Walton.

And then, at the trade deadline, that prospect was gone. The Lakers sent Zubac and Beasley to the L.A. Clippers for Mike Muscala, primarily to clear a roster spot for a potential playoff push.

Quote:
Giving up Zubac to add an impactful player to the roster would have been a necessary cost. Trading a promising player to free Beasley's spot -- who the Lakers could've simply cut -- for Muscala, who shot 20.8 percent from 3 in his first 11 games with L.A., was a self-inflicted wound.

Shortly after the trade deadline, Clippers consultant Jerry West -- who spent more than 40 years with the Lakers as a player, coach and executive -- got together for dinner with old friends who also had former Laker ties, sources said. He couldn't believe how Zubac fell into his lap. The Clippers, sources said, never even called the Lakers to inquire about Zubac. The Lakers made the offer and the Clippers gladly accepted.

Sources said the dinner table shared a hearty laugh at the Lakers' expense.

SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

Pouring salt on a very much open wound
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

No, no, no. I've been assured by several LG posters that relationships don't matter and Magic Johnson has done nothing wrong.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The meeting in Memphis was a retort of sorts. In what became an open forum, several players spoke up. Players focused on James' inconsistent body language throughout the year. The four-time MVP copped to the critique, telling his teammates that, in essence, cutting out behavior like slumped shoulders and sideways glances has been something he has tried to work on his entire career.

Quote:
After the Memphis game, the Lakers continued to crumble, going 2-10 over their next 12 games.

KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
L.A., sources said, was one of several teams to inquire about Jimmy Butler before the swingman was traded to Philadelphia, for instance.

Quote:
When Zubac finally got meaningful minutes, he averaged 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds, including an 18-point, 11-board effort on Christmas Day.
Zubac -- drafted as a raw 7-1, 240-pound center in the second round in 2016 -- had turned himself into a viable prospect under Walton.

And then, at the trade deadline, that prospect was gone. The Lakers sent Zubac and Beasley to the L.A. Clippers for Mike Muscala, primarily to clear a roster spot for a potential playoff push.

Quote:
Giving up Zubac to add an impactful player to the roster would have been a necessary cost. Trading a promising player to free Beasley's spot -- who the Lakers could've simply cut -- for Muscala, who shot 20.8 percent from 3 in his first 11 games with L.A., was a self-inflicted wound.

Shortly after the trade deadline, Clippers consultant Jerry West -- who spent more than 40 years with the Lakers as a player, coach and executive -- got together for dinner with old friends who also had former Laker ties, sources said. He couldn't believe how Zubac fell into his lap. The Clippers, sources said, never even called the Lakers to inquire about Zubac. The Lakers made the offer and the Clippers gladly accepted.

Ouch. lol I don't blame them though.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

This reads like Knicks 2.0

It’s time to fire them all...

Let’s just say it’s a bit exaggerated like someone exaggerating a resume; cut it by 50% and it’s still pretty damning.

Last edited by LakerSD on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

So many of these injuries were self-inflicted.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Nothing particularly new or surprising in the article. Basically a catalogue of the screwups people talk about here everyday.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Interesting tidbits for me (and I like Dave McM...).

-Corey Brewer spilled the beans on Lakers/Magic to PG13 when he joined OKC.
-we were interested in trading for Jimmy.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

worst FO in all sports
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Hurts to read but isn't it all a rehash of all the criticisms we in LG have been discussing all year?

ESPN just made the details known to casual fans throughout the country.

Issue for me is now what? How will the FO and ownership handle all the dirty laundry being made very public? How do they address and recover from this clusterf*** of a season?

Do they scoff and ignore or own their mistakes and address the issues.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Hurts to read but isn't it all a rehash of all the criticisms we in LG have been discussing all year?

ESPN just made the details known to casual fans throughout the country.

Issue for me is now what? How will the FO and ownership handle all the dirty laundry being made very public? How do they address and recover from this clusterf*** of a season?

Do they scoff and ignore or own their mistakes and address the issues.

I think this was far bigger than a "LBJ" problem though.

He concisely pointed out the failed FA moves (that most of us criticized here), including letting Brook/Jules go (which IMO the consensus here was that was a big mistake).

Seems to be a recurring theme that the Lakers have a "relationship" and "trust" problem within the organization.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

Not much new here except the Brewer thing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Not much new here except the Brewer thing.

yeah, and the Jimmy Butler thing.

But it summarized every single detail from July to now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"That experiment?" James said of the roster construction for his first season in L.A.

Amongst an article of new info, disturbing facts, and just sad truths, I found this quote from James incredibly telling.

Magic, you're failing this franchise. West is laughing at your stupidity. Our young players confidence is/was shattered. James is questioning your decision making aka 'experiment'. You're firing capable, long term employees.

I've never been big on this whole fire Magic (yet) or sell the team thing, but I think this article and all it's stories is damning and if he doesn't get a capable max level player this summer (without gutting our roster), he needs to step down before August. I'd rather him step down now so someone else can control FA (aka Jerry West) but I know that won't happen.

Im just glad the ESPN is now putting this type ofd content out there. I want the spotlight on Magic and Rob.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Flames. Flames on the sides of my face.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

F me that article was brutal.

Sell the team already. According to Jeanie, Maglinka's exceeding her expectations.

UGH! This fish is rotting from the top of the head.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

ESPN will continue to rip the Lakers as long as they can...right now they are just kicking us when we are down.
Whether they are right or wrong I want no part of it....
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Quote:
"That experiment?" James said of the roster construction for his first season in L.A.

Amongst an article of new info, disturbing facts, and just sad truths, I found this quote from James incredibly telling.

Magic, you're failing this franchise. West is laughing at your stupidity. Our young players confidence is/was shattered. James is questioning your decision making aka 'experiment'. You're firing capable, long term employees.

I've never been big on this whole fire Magic (yet) or sell the team thing, but I think this article and all it's stories is damning and if he doesn't get a capable max level player this summer (without gutting our roster), he needs to step down before August. I'd rather him step down now so someone else can control FA (aka Jerry West) but I know that won't happen.

Im just glad the ESPN is now putting this type ofd content out there. I want the spotlight on Magic and Rob.

Absolutely. The focus has to be on them. They are a joke. Magic talks too much. Zubac trade was ridiculous.

I hope that Bill Plaschke puts the spotlight on the Lakers' FO. We need him to create some tension.

Based upon this read about Plaschke, he needs a new enemy since Puig has been traded to the Reds.

Bill Plaschke is very, very happy that Yasiel Puig is gone

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/03/29/bill-plaschke-is-very-very-happy-that-yasiel-puig-is-gone/
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

What the (bleep) is Magic Johnson doing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: