A case for keeping Luke Walton as head coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Luke be retained as Laker Head coach?
Yes, as long as we hire a quality, former head coach to be his 1st assistant
52%
 52%  [ 54 ]
No, Lebron doesn't respect him, Magic doesn't want him, and his rotations suck
47%
 47%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 102

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: A case for keeping Luke Walton as head coach

I know this isn't a popular sentiment, but please hear me out.

Why not keep Luke Walton as head coach, and bring in someone like Ty Lue or Kidd as his head assistant coach? Here are my reasons for saying this:

First, most of your better teams have former head coaches employed as assistants, so doing this for the Lakers isn't at all a stretch. In fact, the Lakers are one of the few teams that don't have former head coaches serving as assistant coaches.

Second, I still don't think Luke Walton has had a fair deal. His projected starting lineup played very few games together this season. When they played together, they played well. However, the entire season was plagued with either long term injuries or suspensions. Our young players, our vets, and Lebron never had sufficient time to gel, as a cohesive unit. That's not necessarily Luke's fault.

Third, Luke never really had a quality lineup to begin with. Yes, we had Lebron, but we had a ton of young players that were still getting their collective stride in the NBA. Older teams, like the Clippers, often punked our young guys, out muscling them and getting into their heads. And then there was our vets. McGee started out great, got sick for 3 weeks, then for whatever reason, just lost his mind. Lance is a decent player, but not a needle mover. Rondo has a limited offensive game, and his defense has been suspect for years. Chandler was washed up, and he knows this, and Beasley struggled with his mother going through a slow death all season. Throw in Lebron just learning the system in LA, and you have a recipe for disaster. Luke never really had a chance with this lineup.

Fourth, we need a bridge between the Kupchak years, the Magic/Pelinka future, and Jeannie Buss. Do we really want to trust Magic in bringing in a coach that only he and Lebron want? Luke sort of grounds Magic and keeps Magic and Lebron in check, particularly if Jeannie publically backs him. There's already undue influence on our Lakers due to Lebron and Klutch, and with all due respect to Magic, not sure if we want to 100% trust his picks on a head coach.

Fifth, the young core likes him. The young players are on record as respecting Luke Walton, and it was Luke that advocated for the keeping of Julius Randle. It's not like Luke lost this team. Lebron may not have respected him, but they were never publically at each other, either.

Sixth, Luke has a championship pedigree. From playing with Kobe, to winning his own ring with the Lakers, to winning a ring with the Warriors, Luke is one of ours. A career Laker who has never been a problem for us on or off the court.

Lastly, stability. We have not had one head coach last more than 2 seasons since Phil Jackson. Your coach represents your franchise; instability at the head coaching spot means instability in the franchise. top free agents want stability; not chaos. A constant transition of too many head coaches, too often, stinks of instability.

Seems to me the best course of action involves retaining Luke Walton as our head coach, and for the hiring of a quality former head coach to be his first assistant.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

Luke has been given 3 chances since he’s been here to redeem himself...

His record in the last 3 years since he’s been here..

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Seems to me the best course of action involves retaining Luke Walton as our head coach, and for the hiring of a quality former head coach to be his first assistant.

So b/c he can't coach, we should get a coach who will be his "assistant" coach?

I think Luke never wanted to hire his replacement. That's why he has the staff he does.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

Rotations are the biggest turn off for me. For 3 years its drove me crazy.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

by this logic lets hire Phil to be Lukes assistant

but seriously i doubt the Lakers want to pay for 2 head coaches basically and these guys would never want to be assistants or "co-head coach"

luke brings nothing to the table. why bother keeping him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.

this is way out of context.....Luke did a very good job his 1st two years coaching the Lakers.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

It bothers me that Luke will take the fall, because although he was subpar, it was Magic and Rob that caused us to miss the playoffs.

If they put someone better then maybe it would be okay, but they will probably hire someone even worse.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

but seriously i doubt the Lakers want to pay for 2 head coaches basically and these guys would never want to be assistants or "co-head coach"

didn't you answer your question? If they fire Luke, they will be paying 2 head coaches.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.

this is way out of context.....Luke did a very good job his 1st two years coaching the Lakers.

Did he really? I guess showing good coaching and having actual results is a big difference.

Brad Stevens didn’t have a good coaching record when he first coached the Celtics but he made significant Improvements in every season he was coaching the Celtics...

So basically Luke took a small step up and a significant step back this year... that ain’t gonna roll here in Lakerland my bro.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

didn't you answer your question? If they fire Luke, they will be paying 2 head coaches.

all right so keep him for another year until his contract is up after next year? what's the sense in that?

also what "quality former head coaches" would want to be an assistant again? how did that work with brian shaw this year?

Last edited by socalsp3 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Would be dope if we could get Nick Van Exel as an assistant. He was so loved here. I feel like like he could be a great mentor to our young core.

Last person I want anywhere near our roster is Jason Kidd.. didn't he beat his wife on more than one occasion?..

I wouldn't mind keeping Luke. From season 1 to season 2 lakers record improved, and this year we were on pace to hit 48wins+ before injuries. His rotation patterns were awful but I feel towards the end he got much better. I say.. give him maybe 10-15 games next year and if we are still subpar then we can give him the boot. Lebron was hurt and our young core was inconsistent and our rental veterans were awful at times.. can't just blame the coach on that one.

Last edited by forzaCOREA on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: A case for keeping Luke Walton as head coach

troy wrote:

First, most of your better teams have former head coaches employed as assistants, so doing this for the Lakers isn't at all a stretch. In fact, the Lakers are one of the few teams that don't have former head coaches serving as assistant coaches.

This works when your head coach can command respect. If we bring in Lue or Kidd, there would be like a Game of Thrones for the HC job.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

It's either Luke or Lebron and the FO.

The way Luke has been treated is unfair. He did an extremely good job getting the guys to play for each other and work hard. He also was doing fairly well this season before everyone got hurt.

However, our (bleep) pathetic excuse for a FO decided to throw him under the bus and Magic doesn't like him (which means he is probably a good coach). Lebron also clearly doesn't respect him. So you either get rid of Walton or Lebron and the FO.

One thing I will say, his rotations are some of the worst in the NBA. IF he were to stay they would need to hire a smart basketball mind to help with that (bleep).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.

We have tanked every year, he was successful. It is idiotic to cheer for the team to lose as much as possible then criticize the coach for his record.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Rather bring in a legit coach and have Luke as an assitant so he can learn.

But he’d never accept a demotion so that won’t happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I think Luke never wanted to hire his replacement. That's why he has the staff he does.

His first assistant is a former head coach?
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

Hi Jeanie! How are you? Are you still going to France this summer?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

I'm not 100% on Luke's side, but he's better than most of the options we're seeing seeing so far. I'd make a change for a top notch NBA coach, not Kidd, Jackson or Lue. Even for a top NCAA coach.

He needs to overhaul his staff, I'd only keep Brian Keefe, who's the defensive coordinator. When healthy, we had a pretty good defense. Besides, he seems to be training Ingram and doing a good job.

Brian Shaw, Jesse Mermuys and Miles Simon need to go. Bring a good Xs & Os guy, an offensive coordinator and a shooting coach.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

The Lakers need a Mental Conditioning Coach.
They need individual confidence
These guys make mistakes they should not be making
Lacking mental focus.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Luke is a flat out terrible coach. He's worse than Mark Jackson and on par with Jason Kidd.

https://www.bball-index.com/luke-walton-lame-duck/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Who was run out of Denver b/c he picked fights with players there.

Look, I was for Luke when he was hired so I'm sad it's come to this point.

Is he a scapegoat? For sure.

Is he a great coach? No.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Luke is garbage
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Who was run out of Denver b/c he picked fights with players there.

Look, I was for Luke when he was hired so I'm sad it's come to this point.

Is he a scapegoat? For sure.

Is he a great coach? No.

Yep. This is the thing. That said, because he's being used as a scapegoat, I have little confidence they will actually hire a coach who adequately addresses this team's issues.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.

Exactly...quick synopsis of Luke>

He's the son of Bill..if he didn't have his last name he would be without a job.

He was drafted by the Lakers, who actually really screwed up this pick because they could have had Carlos Boozer.

Yes he wins a title here but he had nothing to do with the title really. Phil loved him like he loved his role players like Buechler, Kerr etc. slow white guys that knew how to run the triangle. Phil rewarded him with a 6 year $30 million contract that the Lakers were stuck with and couldn't move it so save their life. They finally did when they shipped him to Cleveland on the last year of his deal. Remember Chuck Nevitt has a couple of rings but he had nothing to do with winning titles either.

Luke gets hired by GS as an assistant and fortunately for him Kerr becomes ill and Luke coaches them to a solid record. But that didn't really mean much because as we all know, Kerr became bored last year and let the team coach itself in a game last year and they won...no coach needed. On top of that Mike Brown also coached the team while Kerr was down and had an impressive record.

So the Lakers hire Luke and haven't won since. Luke doesn't do himself any favors by not hiring a top notch assistant...So based on all these facts, Luke will be relieved of his duties and I personally can't wait.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

26-56
35-47
33-42

It’s time for him to go.

CONNNNNNNTEXT. Come on IG.

I'll do this for you IG. Please give details after you answer.

If your favorite coach (whoever you would love see coach the lakers...i dont care if they are under contract with someone else) coached the lakers instead of Luke for the years luke coached including this season. What would those records be for each season? Now make sure to apply everything that happened to luke that was out of his control, injuries, roster, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: