Rank Devin Booker Among Best Pure Scorers Today?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Devin Is...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Top 3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Top 5
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Top 10
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Rank Devin Booker Among Best Pure Scorers Today?

Of all the current players in the NBA where would you rank Devin Booker among the best pure scorers in the league?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

pure scorer, meaning shooters that don't assist much?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I think they mean guys who can take the scoring load when necessary. So while Harden and Curry rack up a lot of assists, I'd still consider them both pure scorers because when they need buckets it's almost impossible to stop them.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

No idea, but I'd rank him top 5 among biggest punks in the league.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

whats with the limited options? I wouldnt put him near the top 10. Yes he probably collected more 40+ games than any other current player his age but he remains a low % chucker who has a greenlight on a bad team. There's a boat load of guys who could create their own shot any place on the court at a better efficiency.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
governator wrote:

I think they mean guys who can take the scoring load when necessary. So while Harden and Curry rack up a lot of assists, I'd still consider them both pure scorers because when they need buckets it's almost impossible to stop them.

Harden
Curry
Lliard
Kawhi
LeBron
Kyrie
KD
Giannis
Embiid
PG13
Mitchell
Booker/Fox/Doncic
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

There are entire threads devoted to people giving their definition of the term because there is no agreed upon meaning.

Probably the two most common explanations are (1) someone who scores but doesn't do much of anything else (2) someone who can score from every part of the court. But in between those two, you could probably find 10 different other definitions.

I have no clear idea of what it means myself.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
governator wrote:

Harden
Curry
Lliard
Kawhi
LeBron
Kyrie
KD
Giannis
Embiid
PG13
Mitchell
Booker/Fox/Doncic

I'd take Fox, Doncic, Kawhi, and LeBron off this list. Kawhi has yet to break 50 in his career, and LeBron scored his career high of 61 five years ago. Players who have never put up 40 points (Fox and Doncic) have no business being mentioned here.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
governator wrote:

Harden
Curry
Lliard
Kawhi
LeBron
Kyrie
KD
Giannis
Embiid
PG13
Mitchell
Booker/Fox/Doncic

Towns
AD
Kemba
Beal
Lillard
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
No idea, but I'd rank him top 5 among biggest punks in the league.

He sure is top 3 most punchable faces
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Not even top 10 but that’s what I picked since that was the lowest ranking option
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

In the league's top 30, not particularly high. I think the quality of surrounding scoring on his team help distort what some fans think a guy can do. Given the green light he has in PHX (and I'm not debating whether it's a good or bad thing for his club, or himself), there must be thirty other guys who could jack up that many shots and make a similar rate.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Dlo is better than Booker.

Has always been better. Difference was Booker always had a green light and no coach ever required him to play defense.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Booker goes back-to-back for 50. Dlo has yet to score 50 in his career. We gonna continue to hate on Booker when we used to praise Kobe for his scoring feats? Let's give the man his due...I got him firmly in the top 10 for scorers. He may force his way into the top 5 next season.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Booker goes back-to-back for 50. Dlo has yet to score 50 in his career. We gonna continue to hate on Booker when we used to praise Kobe for his scoring feats? Let's give the man his due...I got him firmly in the top 10 for scorers. He may force his way into the top 5 next season.

If Booker was half as good as Kobe defensively, his team would win a few more games rather than lose so much. No one would praise Kobe if he was bad in 2 facets of the game and elite at scoring. Booker gets his due as a scorer here. He's a terrible defender and his assist/TO ratio is bad as well. 6.7 assists/4.1 TOs. Since you mentioned DLO, he has 7 assists per game with 3.1 TO. Booker needs to find some balance rather be very good at one thing and terrible at 2 important facets of the game.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Yeah. You have to give this guy credit. He's shooting 46 percent from the field. That's a good shooting percentage for the amount of shots he takes and he's averaging 6.7 assists per game.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

If Booker was half as good as Kobe defensively, his team would win a few more games rather than lose so much. No one would praise Kobe if he was bad in 2 facets of the game and elite at scoring. Booker gets his due as a scorer here. He's a terrible defender and his assist/TO ratio is bad as well. 6.7 assists/4.1 TOs. Since you mentioned DLO, he has 7 assists per game with 3.1 TO. Booker needs to find some balance rather be very good at one thing and terrible at 2 important facets of the game.

I didn't know this was the best defender in the league or best assist man in the league thread...If we're talking scoring, Booker is elite in my book. Obviously, he's not making the All-NBA first team until he gets better at defense, but criticizing his assists is criticizing him for not playing a different style. That's not his game. His job is to score, just like Kobe's was. The only reason he has 6.7 assists per game (more than Kobe has ever averaged btw) is because the Suns don't have a legit point guard. Also, despite Russell's assist to turnover ratio (which isn't really remarkable at all compared to other PGs - Kyrie, Jokic, Lonzo, even DeRozan have better ratios), Booker's PER is still slightly higher.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

i bet the Suns would have a better record without Booker on their team....
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I didn't know this was the best defender in the league or best assist man in the league thread...If we're talking scoring, Booker is elite in my book. Obviously, he's not making the All-NBA first team until he gets better at defense, but criticizing his assists is criticizing him for not playing a different style. That's not his game. His job is to score, just like Kobe's was. The only reason he has 6.7 assists per game (more than Kobe has ever averaged btw) is because the Suns don't have a legit point guard. Also, despite Russell's assist to turnover ratio (which isn't really remarkable at all compared to other PGs - Kyrie, Jokic, Lonzo, even DeRozan have better ratios), Booker's PER is still slightly higher.

We taking about PER in 2019.

Booker is a very good scorer in Sun's system where he has the green light, but need to do a lot more if he doesn't want his team to stink every year. For starters, he shoots 32.7% from 3P on 6.5 attempts. That's not even average let alone elite. DLO shooting 36.2% from 7.8 attempts.

Zach LaVine for example is averaging 23.7 on 46.7 FG and 37.4 3P % this season. So he's not even the most efficient green light scorer out there among young guys. Having back to back 50 point games won't change the fact that he's shooting terribly from 3P. DLO had back to back 30 & 10 games and that's more his style. Only 4 other players have done it this season. If Booker is only gonna contribute as a scorer and below average in everything else, at least shoot better than 32.7% from 3.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Booker is a very good scorer in Sun's system where he has the green light, but need to do a lot more if he doesn't want his team to stink every year. For starters, he shoots 32.7% from 3P on 6.5 attempts. That's not even average let alone elite. DLO shooting 36.2% from 7.8 attempts.

Zach LaVine for example is averaging 23.7 on 46.7 FG and 37.4 3P % this season. So he's not even the most efficient green light scorer out there among young guys. Having back to back 50 point games won't change the fact that he's shooting terribly from 3P. DLO had back to back 30 & 10 games and that's more his style. Only 4 other players have done it this season. If Booker is only gonna contribute as a scorer and below average in everything else, at least shoot better than 32.7% from 3.

I don't see any issue with using PER as a measurement given that the list of PER leaders reads off as a list of all-stars for the most part. Also, I'm not surprised you picked the one scoring category that DLO is marginally better at in this season, and it is only this season since Booker averages a better 3pt percentage in his career than DLO and will likely continue to do so. Let's take a look at the other scoring categories FG%: DLO: 43.1%, Booker: 46.2%. How about 2pt %: DLO: 48.2%, Booker 52.9%. How about FT%: DLO: 77.2%, Booker: 86.3%. FT attempts? DLO: 2.5, Booker: 7.2. DLO is a great player, but he is not even close to the scorer Booker is.

Ultimately, DLO may very well end up sitting at home during the playoffs just like Booker will, but the difference will be that the Suns will get a top 3 pick (could turn into Zion) while the Nets will get no one. Finally, Zach LaVine is a year and a half older than Booker. He's having a great year, but he's not in the same year as DLO/Booker. By all means, continue to hate though
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I don't see any issue with using PER as a measurement given that the list of PER leaders reads off as a list of all-stars for the most part. Also, I'm not surprised you picked the one scoring category that DLO is marginally better at in this season, and it is only this season since Booker averages a better 3pt percentage in his career than DLO and will likely continue to do so. Let's take a look at the other scoring categories FG%: DLO: 43.1%, Booker: 46.2%. How about 2pt %: DLO: 48.2%, Booker 52.9%. How about FT%: DLO: 77.2%, Booker: 86.3%. FT attempts? DLO: 2.5, Booker: 7.2. DLO is a great player, but he is not even close to the scorer Booker is.

Ultimately, DLO may very well end up sitting at home during the playoffs just like Booker will, but the difference will be that the Suns will get a top 3 pick (could turn into Zion) while the Nets will get no one. Finally, Zach LaVine is a year and a half older than Booker. He's having a great year, but he's not in the same year as DLO/Booker. By all means, continue to hate though

You are not surprised someone pointed out Booker has been a bad 3 point shooter this season. Anyone who's not on the bandwagon will point that out. And it's not a marginal difference with DLO and 3P shooting is becoming more and more important every season. Look at the number of attempts Booker himself is taking.

DLO will never be the scorer Booker is and style of play will be different 'cos he's gifted as much as a passer as he's as a scorer. He has proved he can get 27 in fourth quarter as well so not too shabby. If anything, it's an advantage that he can balance it out with his passing and scoring. Suns have been getting high draft picks for years now lol and they have been trash every season. Meanwhile Nets have drafted Allen, LeVert outside Top 15 and found other good players like Dinwiddie and Joe Harris. Having a better FO makes a massive difference. Sounds like you don't hate DLO and the Nets at all hyping up loser Suns lottery odds which has been the case every year lol.

Booker's stats don't hold great value as long as he's a flawed scorer with poor 3P shooting while also winning a grand total of 17 games in his 4th season. If that's hate so be it. I bet Suns will get high draft pick after 2019-20 as well so maybe we can hype up how Suns are gonna add another prospect when Nets will not 'cos they are in playoffs race again. Suns are also in the West so as a Laker fan they can continue to suck for many more years winning below 20 games while Booker can put up stats that don't account to wins. No complaints.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Right now I'd take Fox over Booker if both fight for an all star spot. His stats maybe 17.3/7.3, but he's efficient both as a scorer and playmaker and has shown the ability to lead Kings into a playoff contender from the joke they have been for years only in his sophomore season. Where as Booker only has his green light scoring stats to show for even in his 4th season while Suns remain a joke. God knows when will people start expecting Booker to take Suns out of bottom dwelling every year.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

this comparing of 3pt% between teams doesn't make any sense to me. people act like if curry shoots 40% on the warriors, he'll also shoot 40% on the suns....and that booker will shoot same % also on any team. ridiculous.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: