NBA Insiders believe Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You keep saying this trope even though I showed you an example of team where its best player Kahwi played around the same number of games as LBJ, and their other top player (Lowry) missed a bunch of games too. They didn't have 3 #2 picks, and 30m in cap space to spend this past summer either.

Injuries are part of the game. There is no reason, if we didn't spend the nearly 30m in puntable cap space better, that we could be in the playoffs.

Which FA's from last off-season would you have gone after instead of who we did, that would be willing to do a 1-year deal? Aside from lets say Brooke Lopez and JJ Redick, I don't see anyone who would really have made this team better and those two aren't pushing us into contention.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23921959/nba-free-agency-every-new-deal-contract-extensions

I've covered this elsewhere. But can we agree spending 28m on KCP/Lance/Rondo/Beez was not even close to an optimal use of that cap space?

KCP and Rondo were decent signings, considering what they were bringing to the table at the time. Lance and Beasley were stupid. But, let's say we signed KCP, Rondo, Lopez and JJ Redick. If we still have all the injuries we've had, they are not making up the difference.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
KCP and Rondo were decent signings, considering what they were bringing to the table at the time. Lance and Beasley were stupid. But, let's say we signed KCP, Rondo, Lopez and JJ Redick. If we still have all the injuries we've had, they are not making up the difference.

I beg to differ. You have Lopez/Reddick instead of Lance/Beez and this is a fundamentally different team.

Space big in Lopez (who is a perfect fit for LBJ IMO) and a deadeye shooter in JJ? Yes, it's a huge difference. (Doubt you get JJ for that price though).
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject:

LeBron, Kuzma, Ingram and Ball...played a total of I believe 23 games together. Injuries make a huge difference and to ignore that then you are not seeing the complete picture. Substituting players at this point — who knows, but if they are injured, you most likely will have the same results on any team or sport.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject:

Hard to survive the injuries when we have a crappy coach and half the team are new. I think we could have had one or the other and been okay, not both.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
LeBron, Kuzma, Ingram and Ball...played a total of I believe 23 games together. Injuries make a huge difference and to ignore that then you are not seeing the complete picture. Substituting players at this point — who knows, but if they are injured, you most likely will have the same results on any team or sport.

Only a team like the Raptors didn’t have the same result. Nor did the Warriors.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Good. Outside of LeBron, it's been a bad idea anyway.

My only hope to get magic fired is that he doesn’t get anyone in off season

Perhaps you should be a "fan" of another team.

Because he sees that Magic is in over his head?

Perhaps Magic isn't making all the best choices but the phrase "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" comes to mind in the poster's desire for free agency failure.

don't question my fandom.

I don't think magic is capable of landing a quality star like KL or AD and if he does he will give up the entire farm to do it and if he does give up the entire farm he would not know what to do to surround that second talent with quality players.

mark my words at the end of free agency magic will make some last ditch effort and overpay a 2nd tier star to a long term contract to complement LeBron James. Magic just does not have the intelligence to make analytical basketball decisions. He just doesn't have it
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Perhaps Magic isn't making all the best choices but the phrase "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" comes to mind in the poster's desire for free agency failure.

I don't think magic is capable of landing a quality star like KL or AD and if he does he will give up the entire farm to do it and if he does give up the entire farm he would not know what to do to surround that second talent with quality players.

mark my words at the end of free agency magic will make some last ditch effort and overpay a 2nd tier star to a long term contract to complement LeBron James. Magic just does not have the intelligence to make analytical basketball decisions. He just doesn't have it

Warranted or not, when you say your only hope and we don’t get anybody in the off-season in the same sentence, you’re gonna draw questions about your fandom. I’m very skeptical like you but if he signs Kawhi and a few low level FAs who fit while keeping the young core, he’ll have absolved himself of any past struggles IMO. It’s very unlikely but not impossible.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I'll make sure to get this message in his inbox right away.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Hard to survive the injuries when we have a crappy coach and half the team are new. I think we could have had one or the other and been okay, not both.

Should be able to survive if you have good players on the team.

The Clippers played basically all new guys together, even more so after the Tobias trade. They kept winning. Good coaching + roster construction.

Our FO had 29 mil to spend on decent NBA players and barely got 1 in McGee.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
999 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I'll make sure to get this message in his inbox right away.

Good. I mean what kind of moron says no “we don’t need you” to Jerry West? A person laker fans have yearned over for years

And don’t say Dr Buss. Because Buss has to choose between Phil Jackson and West
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

The only thing I blame Magic for is putting his eggs in the lebron basket. If no top-tier FA comes in the off season it'll be because they don't want to play with lebron, not because Magic is the GM. Magic has been in cahoots with lebron and Klutch for well over a year, and they've been planning this behind the scenes for a long time. Other star players also knew and that's why nobody came last year. If nobody comes this year then both lebron and Magic have to go!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
999 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Warranted or not, when you say your only hope and we don’t get anybody in the off-season in the same sentence, you’re gonna draw questions about your fandom. I’m very skeptical like you but if he signs Kawhi and a few low level FAs who fit while keeping the young core, he’ll have absolved himself of any past struggles IMO. It’s very unlikely but not impossible.

Clippers have courting KL for the whole season even having clippers personnel showing up at raptors game. If magic loses out on KL and KL ends up going to clippers than magic should be fired on the spot.

Because all that tells me is that KL wanted to come to Los Angeles and he chooses Jerry West and the clippers over magic and the lakers.

If players are going to come to Los Angeles the clippers should always be a 2nd option never the first. They have never been the first and they never should be.

Magic should have realized that when jerry west came to Los Angeles and chooses the lakers FIRST. And magic said NO to (bleep) legend. Damn Him!!
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA Insiders believe Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://theathletic.com/879831/2019/03/20/the-questions-jeanie-buss-should-be-asking-to-get-the-lakers-back-on-track/

Quote:
The Lakers need to project stability going into yet another critical offseason if they hope to attract a second superstar to pair with James. After Paul George ignored the Lakers last summer, most league insiders believe the biggest names in this year’s loaded class of free agents will follow his lead.

Insiders are full of it. Everyone including Pop-a-Zit (aka Al bundy) start crying when the Lakers are going to land a free agent. It all started when we got Pau Gasol. Look it up. Popazit was crying for months. When we traded for Cris Paul, all the small market teams including Al Bundy started pouting. Trade was reversed by Stern. then when we should have got A Davis, Popazit once again was in tears.

Now that the Lakers are not good, the small market teams are pounding their chests. But they realize that the Lakers would have continued their dominance had it not been for those incidents. PG13 or Paul Gay is an aberration. We do not need pu**ies here. They will be out of the playoffs anyways. Boston will be taken out early as well. So much for that great talent that the media talks about (all of the east coast media)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: NBA Insiders believe Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers

chains wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://theathletic.com/879831/2019/03/20/the-questions-jeanie-buss-should-be-asking-to-get-the-lakers-back-on-track/

Quote:
The Lakers need to project stability going into yet another critical offseason if they hope to attract a second superstar to pair with James. After Paul George ignored the Lakers last summer, most league insiders believe the biggest names in this year’s loaded class of free agents will follow his lead.

Insiders are full of it. Everyone including Pop-a-Zit (aka Al bundy) start crying when the Lakers are going to land a free agent. It all started when we got Pau Gasol. Look it up. Popazit was crying for months. When we traded for Cris Paul, all the small market teams including Al Bundy started pouting. Trade was reversed by Stern. then when we should have got A Davis, Popazit once again was in tears.

Now that the Lakers are not good, the small market teams are pounding their chests. But they realize that the Lakers would have continued their dominance had it not been for those incidents. PG13 or Paul Gay is an aberration. We do not need pu**ies here. They will be out of the playoffs anyways. Boston will be taken out early as well. So much for that great talent that the media talks about (all of the east coast media)

Gasol wasn’t a free agent
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

I can not believe some of the posts I am reading. Some people are stubborn. WOW.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

The title of this thread is probably true. The Laker are a six year lottery team and will not be chosen due to wanting to go to a good team. But money still talks and the Lakers are in a good location.
Would target players most likely to give the Lakers a chance.
1. Nikolas Vucevic - plays a position of need. If overpay may get him.
2. Butler or Harris - offer max and Philly might not max out both
3. Kemba Walker - might want a change to a better team
4. Kawhi Leonard - a longshot but says he prefers SC
Unlikely Durant, Thompson playing with long time champs. why change?
Irving - Hard to pry from Celtics.
The key is to get a second max without gutting the team.
Need depth to make the playoffs.
Seems like the FO gave away future all stars in DLO and Randle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: