2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

VLF has gone on his annual carp fishing trip on the Mississippi.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Nats team of destiny. I’m pulling for them. At least Doyers lose to the world champs

I wish that was the Dodgers sweeping the cards for payback

That never happens. Good season for the Cards, I didn’t expect the playoffs or beating the Braves. I thought that they might make an impact next season, it looks like they put it together a little earlier.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

Joe Maddon agrees to be new manager of Los Angeles Angels

LINK
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Finally the Angels can begin their turnaround....a team with solid pieces should not be missing the postseason year after year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Finally the Angels can begin their turnaround....a team with solid pieces should not be missing the postseason year after year.

I’m not sure that Maddon fixes the problem. As a fan of a divisional rival, I’ve been just as perplexed as a lot of Angels fans about the front office decisions.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I’m not sure that Maddon fixes the problem. As a fan of a divisional rival, I’ve been just as perplexed as a lot of Angels fans about the front office decisions.

Their front office has not made the best decisions and their farm system is broken. But having a good manager is one step toward fixing the team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Their front office has not made the best decisions and their farm system is broken. But having a good manager is one step toward fixing the team.

Actually, the one area where the Angels have undeniably made some hay is in the farm system. Three years ago they had the worst prospect pipeline in the game. Right now it's rated about middle of the pack. Their biggest issue has been a total inability to trot out even an average major league starting rotation. They do have a couple of young pitchers who have a chance at making an impact, notably Griffin Canning, and they gave another couple of kids some starts this season as they played out the string (guys like Patrick Sandoval, who didn't fare very well).

Jo Adell is the big name that most people know about (top-5 prospect in all of baseball), but the Angels have two other very good OF prospects in Brandon Marsh and Jordyn Adams. But yeah, the Angels desperately need to both develop starting pitching and make wise free agency signings. Last year they signed Trevor Cahill and Matt Harvey as one-year stopgaps, with disastrous results.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike Trout had a huge year and the Angels still lost 90 games. The pitching staff is horrific. And they still have the Astros and A’s in that division. Maddon has a tough job, but I guess you can say he has nowhere to go but up, unless Mike Trout gets injured.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

this is the guy I would love to add this offseason....

Top Trade Packages, Landing Spots for Mookie Betts

Quote:
Cincinnati Reds

The Fit
The Cincinnati Reds have made it clear they intend to increase payroll and try to contend in 2020. With that in mind, they could stand to upgrade an offense that ranked 12th in the NL in runs scored with 701.

Betts would obviously help the cause. With its willingness to spend, Cincinnati could absorb the massive sum the outfielder is set to pull down in arbitration (a projected $27.7 million, per MLB Trade Rumors).

With their revamped pitching staff and Betts in the heart of the lineup, it's possible to imagine the Reds could compete with the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals in the crowded NL Central.

The Package

Outfielder Jesse Winker hit .269 with 16 homers and an .830 OPS in 113 games for Cincinnati and, at age 26, is controllable through 2023.

The Reds could also offer left-hander Nick Lodolo (MLB.com's No. 56 overall prospect) as well as 22-year-old right-hander Tony Santillian, who threw 102.1 innings at Double-A and could profile as a front-line starter if he harnesses his command.

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers

The Fit

After winning 106 games and claiming their seventh consecutive NL West title, the Los Angeles Dodgers were bounced in the division series by the Washington Nationals. They haven't won a World Series since 1988.

If desperation isn't setting in, it should be.

Los Angeles has depth all over its roster, including in the outfield, and doesn't need Betts. But there's no question he would make the Dodgers more dangerous in 2020 and measurably improve their championship odds.

The Package

L.A. could start with outfielder Joc Pederson, who is limited by extreme platoon splits (.505 OPS versus lefties, .920 OPS versus righties) but launched 36 home runs and is projected to make $8.5 million in his final year of arbitration compared to Betts' aforementioned $27.7 million.

The Dodgers could add right-hander Dustin May (MLB.com's No. 32 overall prospect), who made his big league debut in 2019 and struck out 32 in 34.2 innings, plus hard-throwing 23-year-old Dennis Santana, who fanned 105 in 93.1 innings at Triple-A and also sipped an MLB cup of coffee.

LINK
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't even consider that package for Betts if I am the Dodgers.

Keep all those guys and get rid of Kershaw/Jansen/Pollock and I am good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, I don't see the Dodgers trading May for a year of Betts. The only time they traded a top prospect for a 1-year player (Machado) was because they had a gaping hole and no one ready to replace Seager.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Gerrit Cole is 19-0 with a 1.59 ERA in his last 25 starts. Is this real life?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers need more pitching, not less, especially with Kershaw and Jansen declining and the uncertainty about the future of Ryu.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, I don't see the Dodgers trading May for a year of Betts. The only time they traded a top prospect for a 1-year player (Machado) was because they had a gaping hole and no one ready to replace Seager.

why does it have to be one year? Just resign him. Betts at his best would be the best player on the team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

why does it have to be one year? Just resign him. Betts at his best would be the best player on the team.

Just doesn't seem like Friedman's style to give a dude 10 years and $250+MM, and that's what it will take. And I will once again put this out there: the Dodgers actually need Cole more than Betts or any position player. Yes, the Dodgers can get through a regular season just fine with what they currently have in the rotation. Pairing Cole with Buehler in a short series makes the Dodgers potentially lethal. And Betts will require parting with prospects, good ones. Cole will not. To me, it's a no-brainer, if you're spending that kind of money. You're better off writing a blank check for Cole.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Just doesn't seem like Friedman's style to give a dude 10 years and $250+MM, and that's what it will take. And I will once again put this out there: the Dodgers actually need Cole more than Betts or any position player. Yes, the Dodgers can get through a regular season just fine with what they currently have in the rotation. Pairing Cole with Buehler in a short series makes the Dodgers potentially lethal. And Betts will require parting with prospects, good ones. Cole will not. To me, it's a no-brainer, if you're spending that kind of money. You're better off writing a blank check for Cole.

I agree the back side of that Betts deal will be bad. Has Cole been connected to the Angels? Maybe I just saw that posted on here or somewhere as chatter. I personally think everyone could use Cole more than Betts unless you have 5 Aces. I always have been frustrated by the "good for the 4th man in the rotation" claim because the way the game is played today, the 4th man is just as important as the opening day starter during the season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject:

Cole has been connected to the Angels in that he's a local guy (Newport Beach) who went to UCLA, so the Dodger connection would be an easy one too. The Angels' need is more desperate, and Arte Moreno has actually shown more of a willingness to spend huge on a player over this Dodger regime. Especially if the Astros get past the Yankees, you'd have to think that the Yankees will be very interested, thinking that they can help themselves and greatly weaken a team that would have defeated them in two of the previous three ALCS series. The Cubs rotation has taken a clear step back, and they wouldn't spend big last offseason; will they feel the same way again?

Bottom line is that this dude is going to be in demand.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Tanaka getting hit early

3-1 third inning
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

The Red Sox have attempted to sign him to an extension at least 2 times. Betts has made it clear that he will enter the free agent market. His agent Scott Boras is well known to not give extensions. So the dodgers would be at the whim of the market place and Boras.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Yankees bats better come alive or they will find themselves down 3-1. Top of the 6th and the Astros are leading the Yankees 6-1.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

6-1 now with Verlander and Cole in the waiting...

Nats vs Astros
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

Nats vs Astros

2 great starting pitching staffs. Should be a better series than people will think.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Nats vs Astros

2 great starting pitching staffs. Should be a better series than people will think.

Need to sign Cole
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Nats bullpen not the best but their starting pitching will make it interesting.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Nats bullpen not the best but their starting pitching will make it interesting.

With the way that Anibal Sanchez has pitched, I think you could see the Nats be willing to use Corbin in relief in Game 1, Game 2, or even both. If it pushes him back to a Game 4 start instead of Game 3, I think the Nats can live with that. Just a guess on my part.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 20 of 70
Jump to: