2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Jose Iglesias has one of the best gloves for a middle infielder that I have ever seen in baseball. He "almost" made a play tonight that was literally insane....

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27488193
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

The Punisher continues to murder baseballs....

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1167075854842773506
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Punisher continues to murder baseballs....

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1167075854842773506

He just hit a 2-run HR in the first inning today, also.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Reds and Cardinals rained out. Already scheduled for a double header tomorrow, and now will play a double header on Sunday also....then have to return to Cincy for a Monday day game against Phillies. That will be about 5 games within 50 hours.....seems extreme.

Also, it takes a game away from Aquino to add to him NL rookie HR record in a month.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Reds and Cardinals rained out. Already scheduled for a double header tomorrow, and now will play a double header on Sunday also....then have to return to Cincy for a Monday day game against Phillies. That will be about 5 games within 50 hours.....seems extreme.

Also, it takes a game away from Aquino to add to him NL rookie HR record in a month.

Uh, yeah, two doubleheaders two days in a row is really a tough ask for the players, AND a Monday day game? The league allows for a 26-man roster for a doubleheader, but with 4 games scheduled in two days, perhaps the league should grant both teams a 27-man roster for both days.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Uh, yeah, two doubleheaders two days in a row is really a tough ask for the players, AND a Monday day game? The league allows for a 26-man roster for a doubleheader, but with 4 games scheduled in two days, perhaps the league should grant both teams a 27-man roster for both days.

On Sunday, it will not matter because teams can bring up their entire rosters.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

On Sunday, it will not matter because teams can bring up their entire rosters.

Oh yeah, that's right. And not a moment too soon.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

The Cardinals and Reds playing 4 games in 2 days, that will test your depth.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Cardinals and Reds playing 4 games in 2 days, that will test your depth.

as we were saying above, as of today depth should not be an issue......Raisel Iglesias as your Closer is another story.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

the Astros are doing something well in Toronto through 8 innings....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

he did it, Verlander is the 6th pitcher to have at least 3 no-hitters in a career. Only 1 WALK prevented the Perfect Game. Game was tied 0-0 going into the 9th, but Houston was able to score 2 runs for the win.

9 Innings, 120 Pitches, 14 Strike outs, 1 Walk and 0 Hits.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

for the 2nd game in a row.....Sonny Gray last night, and Tyler Mahle today have thrown excellent games against the Cardinals......only to watch the bullpen blow both games. It literally has became difficult to watch.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

he did it, Verlander is the 6th pitcher to have at least 3 no-hitters in a career. Only 1 WALK prevented the Perfect Game. Game was tied 0-0 going into the 9th, but Houston was able to score 2 runs for the win.

What a beast he is. Maybe they will give him an extra day between starts now. The 120 pitches aren't necessarily alarming, especially given over 9 innings (120 over 6 or 7 would be more of a concern, and something you almost never see happen now), but it's rare that a starter gets over 110 pitches these days.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

What a beast he is. Maybe they will give him an extra day between starts now. The 120 pitches aren't necessarily alarming, especially given over 9 innings (120 over 6 or 7 would be more of a concern, and something you almost never see happen now), but it's rare that a starter gets over 110 pitches these days.

Hinch may have had a large group of Astros fans waiting at the airport to "welcome" him back if he would have pulled him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
for the 2nd game in a row.....Sonny Gray last night, and Tyler Mahle today have thrown excellent games against the Cardinals......only to watch the bullpen blow both games. It literally has became difficult to watch.

finally, Iglesias does not implode in the 9th....Reds close out the series 1-3....easily should have been 3-1.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Hinch may have had a large group of Astros fans waiting at the airport to "welcome" him back if he would have pulled him.

It would have been VERY interesting if the Astros hadn't scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th. It was a 0-0 game heading to the 9th. If he's at 120 pitches through 9, I don't think he sends him back out there for the 10th. They have far more important goals, and letting a guy possibly approach 140 pitches would be unheard of today. Thank goodness they scored in the 9th! Letting him go 120 is very within reason, as Verlander is used to pitching deep into games and is a horse. Another inning would have been pushing it for sure, even for him.

This got me to thinking about Tim Lincecum's no-hitter against the Padres, as I recall that he threw a crap-ton of pitches in it. I had forgotten that he actually threw a second no-no against the same Padres in consecutive years, but the one I remember was his first one, in July 2013 where he threw 148 pitches. He ended up throwing 197.2 innings that year, his sixth straight season of at least 186 innings. The following year (which included the second no-no) his innings count dropped to 155.2. Then in 2015, he could only muster 76.1 innings. He closed out his career (to date; he hasn't officially retired) in 2016 with just 38.1 dreadful innings for the Angels. Did the 148-pitch no-no irreparably harm his arm? Maybe you could say he was due to hit the wall because he wasn't a big guy, but it just so happens that his innings count started to drop precipitously after that 2013 season.

I also recall what happened with Johan Santana. Of course, he had shoulder problems (anterior capsule surgery in September 2010, missed the entire 2011 season) before his no-hitter for the Mets in 2012, but indulge me here. Santana was having a really nice comeback season in '12. On June 1, his 11th start after the shoulder surgery, he pitched the no-no against the Cardinals. They let him throw 134 pitches. He was never the same again. He went on the DL twice after that, and despite having a 2.38 ERA after the no-no, he finished the season with a 4.85 ERA. He then tore his shoulder capsule again in early '13 and never pitched another major league inning after the 2012 season.

Anyway, just food for thought.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

The Astros rely heavily on analytics, possibly more than any other team in the league. I wonder what the geeks have to say about this. Hinch wouldn't be doing it if he didn't have the blessing of the geeks.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It would have been VERY interesting if the Astros hadn't scored 2 runs in the top of the 9th. It was a 0-0 game heading to the 9th. If he's at 120 pitches through 9, I don't think he sends him back out there for the 10th.

I doubt he goes back out for the 10th.....and I doubt Astros fans would even be upset about that decision.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

I never would have guessed in April that the Cards would be in the driver’s Seattle to win the Division with a month to go. I thought that they were a year or two away.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I never would have guessed in April that the Cards would be in the driver’s Seattle to win the Division with a month to go. I thought that they were a year or two away.

The best thing they did was fire Matheny last year. They have responded to Shildt very well and they have a good record with him as the skipper. Matheny was clueless.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

Aristides Aquino was called up to the Reds from AAA on August 1st. Aquino led the majors in both HR's and RBI's in August, and was named both NL Rookie of the Month and NL Player of the Month. Ironically, the last player to be named both in the same month was the player Aquino replaced in RF.....Yasiel Puig in June of 2013.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I think the division has just under performed across the board. I think the Dodgers, Braves and Nationals would be favored against the Cardinals or Cubs in a 7 game series.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

btw, VLF....someone recently asked me which MLB player I "hated the most". Hate is strong, but I got what they meant. It was hard for me to come up with a single player that I just strongly dislike on a random Wednesday in July. There are players within the division that always seem to kill the Reds, and the ones that have been around forever like Molina seem to fit the bill....but the more I thought about it I do not really like or dislike guys like Molina. Then I thought of Clint Hurdle, but he is not a player....so I struggled to identify a single player at the time.

Then this past series with the Cardinals, I realized who it was...Jose Martinez. He has played really well against the Reds over the last 2 seasons, but that is not why I dislike him. Something about the dude that just makes my skin crawl. The guy just comes off as a clown.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
btw, VLF....someone recently asked me which MLB player I "hated the most". Hate is strong, but I got what they meant. It was hard for me to come up with a single player that I just strongly dislike on a random Wednesday in July. There are players within the division that always seem to kill the Reds, and the ones that have been around forever like Molina seem to fit the bill....but the more I thought about it I do not really like or dislike guys like Molina. Then I thought of Clint Hurdle, but he is not a player....so I struggled to identify a single player at the time.

Then this past series with the Cardinals, I realized who it was...Jose Martinez. He has played really well against the Reds over the last 2 seasons, but that is not why I dislike him. Something about the dude that just makes my skin crawl. The guy just comes off as a clown.

Any holier-than-thou guy with the "unwritten rules" irks me. Brian McCann comes to mind. The type of player that will try to talk crap to you or even get physical with you if you, god forbid, take too long to trot around the bases on a home run, or flip your bat away in a certain way. I hate that stuff. Especially because it's so hypocritical. If David Ortiz does it, he's not talking ish to David Ortiz, I guarantee it.

I do get that there are certain things that are bush league (stealing a base in the 9th inning when up 10 runs, bunting for a base hit to break up a no-hitter in the late innings if it's not a close game, and many others), but if you have just hit a home run, as long as you are not talking crap to the pitcher, you have the right to run however you feel like around the bases, and to flip your bat in an exuberant way, too. That's not showing up your opponent. That's having fun.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Any holier-than-thou guy with the "unwritten rules" irks me. Brian McCann comes to mind. The type of player that will try to talk crap to you or even get physical with you if you, god forbid, take too long to trot around the bases on a home run, or flip your bat away in a certain way. I hate that stuff. Especially because it's so hypocritical. If David Ortiz does it, he's not talking ish to David Ortiz, I guarantee it.

I do get that there are certain things that are bush league (stealing a base in the 9th inning when up 10 runs, bunting for a base hit to break up a no-hitter in the late innings if it's not a close game, and many others), but if you have just hit a home run, as long as you are not talking crap to the pitcher, you have the right to run however you feel like around the bases, and to flip your bat in an exuberant way, too. That's not showing up your opponent. That's having fun.

a couple games ago, Galvis was out at 2nd base on a fielder's choice. He was jogging back to the dugout and stepped on the dirt at the very back of the pitchers mound. Miles Mikolas went crazy and started running his mouth to him. It was clear Galvis was not being disrespectful and did not even know what Mikolas was angry about initially. That is the stuff I find silly. I mean if the guy runs across the embankment of the mound or goes out of his way to take that path...then ok....but stepping in the dirt at the base of the back of the mound?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 10 of 70
Jump to: