2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 68, 69, 70  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9441
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Manfred: we investigated and found the cheating stopped before 2017 postseason.

Reality: they asked the Astros to tell the truth and Astros said they stopped cheating before the postseason. Without verifying this at all they simply believed the team [that was lying and cheating] was telling them the truth.

Manfred: there's conflicting information.

No s***. You think liars are just going to turn into boy scouts when their reputation is on the line?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).


I'm either going to buy a 'Dodgers 2017 WS Champions shirt' or an 'asterisk' one and proceed to berate the hell out of them when they play the Mariners at the end of April.

Will it accomplish anything? Of course not. But it'll sure make me feel better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).


It's nuts dude, there are fans of 29 other teams and since this is an LA Lakers site, probably more Dodgers fans than anything but you wouldn't know it from this goofy thread- Two butthurt Lastro's fans defending and defending and defending for like, the last 25 pages (look it up, it's NUTS).
I live in LA and for goofballs that don't live here- LA has people from your hometown-FACT.
People come from everywhere to be employed in the entertainment industry on some level- the ones I know that are from Houston have accepted defeat- it's only the asshats that live in their houston bubble that think this will somehow blow over...


Yup. You'd have to be an ass at this point to defend them in any way.


Not that they need any defense, but both AH and Dreamshake have both stated repeatedly that they cheated and deserve the crap they're getting.

They're fans of the team (or reside in Houston at least) so of course they're going to give them as much slack as they can.

I don't agree with them, but still enjoy their takes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23805

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Manfred: we investigated and found the cheating stopped before 2017 postseason.

Reality: they asked the Astros to tell the truth and Astros said they stopped cheating before the postseason. Without verifying this at all they simply believed the team [that was lying and cheating] was telling them the truth.

Manfred: there's conflicting information.

No s***. You think liars are just going to turn into boy scouts when their reputation is on the line?


1. Once again, MLB put in-person monitors in the video rooms starting in the 2018 post-season and continuing through the 2019 regular season.

2. Here is how Manfred described the investigation:

Quote:
The investigation was led by Bryan Seeley and Moira Weinberg of the DOI, who both have substantial experience investigating baseball operations matters. The investigation covered the period from 2016 through the present. During the investigation, the DOI interviewed 68 witnesses, including 23 current and former Astros players. Some witnesses were interviewed multiple times. The DOI also reviewed tens of thousands of emails, Slack communications, text messages, video clips, and photographs. The Astros fully cooperated with the investigation, producing all requested electronic communications and making all requested employees available for interviews. Upon request, certain Astros employees provided their cellular telephones to be imaged and searched. I afforded the Astros and their employees the opportunity to submit evidence relevant to this matter and present any arguments to me and my staff.


If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, I can't stop you. It's impossible to disprove conspiracy theories because they aren't based on facts. In this case, the conspiracy theories will get ammunition from players who lost to the Astros in 2019 and are looking to blame someone for their own failure. Aroldis Chapman falls into this category. I got a chuckle out of the Harold Baines clip. Yeah, Aroldis, if you can't get your fastball over the plate, and if you throw a hanging slider up in the zone to Jose Altuve, you just might get hit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 12988

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Rob Manfred said they were at a stalement in the investigation. He said they couldn't get anywhere in the investigation w/o giving a blanket immunity to all players.

So basically, mlb has no facts on this other than player testimony. Think about that.

The players testify to what they want to testify to. They all tell him that they cheated in 2017, some in 2018 and then they stopped. Now this becomes fact.

Now, all the players are pointing to the Manfred report as fact. But, Manfred just said that they had nothing aside from player testimony. So basically, player testimony now becomes fact.

Players now say, Manfred did a thorough investigation and found no evidence. No, Manfred just said, they did a thorough investigation initially and found no evidence UNTIL they offered immunity to the players to talk.


Once they gave players immunity, they had all of their phone records, texts, etc. Covering all three years. He had no case without player testimony (starting with Fiers) but to imply that’s all they had is kinda misleading.

They investigated all three seasons and didn’t find foul play in all of them. This also coincides with MLB doing a better job of adding preventive measures in later years, which he also noted (Aeneas Hunter has noted these multiple times).


How can it be misleading when you are quoting Rob Manfred's EXACT words?


His statement was that they couldn't get anywhere without giving immunity. That does not imply that after getting immunity and getting access to everything the players had, that they didn't find stuff to fully investigate all 3 years. That's the misleading part. Getting to the players opened up the doors for a full investigation, which is not just player testimony. I see Aeneas Hunter once again listed in detail what the investigation detailed.


Last edited by Dreamshake on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 12988

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yup. The thing I don't get is, why come here day after day only to continue to butt heads with an entire fanbase? What's the point? I understand disagreeing here and there. But, when you disagree with an entire fanbase on pretty much every point, what's the value in the discussion?


Because some posters are actually engaging in real discussion. You should try it, or just let us engage with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 6535

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yup. The thing I don't get is, why come here day after day only to continue to butt heads with an entire fanbase? What's the point? I understand disagreeing here and there. But, when you disagree with an entire fanbase on pretty much every point, what's the value in the discussion?


Because some posters are actually engaging in real discussion. You should try it, or just let us engage with them.


Yeah, don't take my word for it. Take the word of your fellow Astros compatriot. He thinks you have a problem....

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Let it go, man. You're arguing with people who are invested in a conspiracy theory.


Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Anyway, if DS wants to play along with you, that's his problem.


Anyways, remember that real discussion we engaged in where we came to the conclusion that there are "folks" and "people" out there in the ether that call Verlander a cheater?

Why do you come here again? You never really answered. Even your fellow compatriot thinks it's not worth it....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9441
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Manfred: we investigated and found the cheating stopped before 2017 postseason.

Reality: they asked the Astros to tell the truth and Astros said they stopped cheating before the postseason. Without verifying this at all they simply believed the team [that was lying and cheating] was telling them the truth.

Manfred: there's conflicting information.

No s***. You think liars are just going to turn into boy scouts when their reputation is on the line?


1. Once again, MLB put in-person monitors in the video rooms starting in the 2018 post-season and continuing through the 2019 regular season.

2. Here is how Manfred described the investigation:

Quote:
The investigation was led by Bryan Seeley and Moira Weinberg of the DOI, who both have substantial experience investigating baseball operations matters. The investigation covered the period from 2016 through the present. During the investigation, the DOI interviewed 68 witnesses, including 23 current and former Astros players. Some witnesses were interviewed multiple times. The DOI also reviewed tens of thousands of emails, Slack communications, text messages, video clips, and photographs. The Astros fully cooperated with the investigation, producing all requested electronic communications and making all requested employees available for interviews. Upon request, certain Astros employees provided their cellular telephones to be imaged and searched. I afforded the Astros and their employees the opportunity to submit evidence relevant to this matter and present any arguments to me and my staff.


If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, I can't stop you. It's impossible to disprove conspiracy theories because they aren't based on facts. In this case, the conspiracy theories will get ammunition from players who lost to the Astros in 2019 and are looking to blame someone for their own failure. Aroldis Chapman falls into this category. I got a chuckle out of the Harold Baines clip. Yeah, Aroldis, if you can't get your fastball over the plate, and if you throw a hanging slider up in the zone to Jose Altuve, you just might get hit.


I'm not buying into conspiracy theories or stating things happened without proof. I am simply pointing out that the league did not perform a thorough investigation and the commissioner admitted that they pretty much stopped looking for wrongdoing when they were told "the truth" by the party that was caught. How that isn't seen as ridiculous is beyond me. And to say that the a proper investigation has taken place is simply naive.

Again, I'm not stating that anything happened in 2018 or 2019. I am saying that you cannot give the Astros the benefit of the doubt to just trust them at their word when they've already lied multiple times about if they cheated and when they did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23805

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I'm not buying into conspiracy theories or stating things happened without proof. I am simply pointing out that the league did not perform a thorough investigation and the commissioner admitted that they pretty much stopped looking for wrongdoing when they were told "the truth" by the party that was caught. How that isn't seen as ridiculous is beyond me. And to say that the a proper investigation has taken place is simply naive.

Again, I'm not stating that anything happened in 2018 or 2019. I am saying that you cannot give the Astros the benefit of the doubt to just trust them at their word when they've already lied multiple times about if they cheated and when they did.


I'm not sure where you are coming up with this. As indicated in my prior post, this is not an accurate description of the investigation.

In addition, no one wants to talk about the in-person monitors in the video rooms starting in the 2018 postseason. This wasn't aimed at the Astros. It was a league-wide policy because there was a perception that a number of teams were abusing the video room to steal signs. As I've said, the Astros cranked things up to 11 by installing a video screen outside the dugout and banging the trash can. As others have explained, this would have been impossible starting with the 2018 postseason, because the MLB monitor would have walked right past the screen (the monitors would walk between the two video rooms during the game). The Astros claim that they had shut down the scheme before then because it ceased to be effective. The MLB investigation supports this. For what it's worth, I suspect that the sign stealing scheme ceased to be effective because other teams were so paranoid about the Astros that they took countermeasures (which is what the Nats did in the World Series).

This isn't based on the credibility of the Astros' players. I have no problem with anyone who won't take the word of a cheater. But there is a lot of other evidence in play here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 12988

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Anyways, remember that real discussion we engaged in where we came to the conclusion that there are "folks" and "people" out there in the ether that call Verlander a cheater?


Do I recall the discussion where I gave you a specific example to find on the www that you ignored? Yes, I do.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Why do you come here again? You never really answered. Even your fellow compatriot thinks it's not worth it....


That question has been posed and answered enough on this forum. If you really wanna know look it up. Hit "Profile" then "Find all posts by". Enjoy!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 6535

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Anyways, remember that real discussion we engaged in where we came to the conclusion that there are "folks" and "people" out there in the ether that call Verlander a cheater?


Do I recall the discussion where I gave you a specific example to find on the www that you ignored? Yes, I do.


Love it!

Such an Astros answer.

Specific “folks” and “people”

What an oxymoron

So specifically what was I looking for again? “Folks” and “people”?

How do I know when I’ve found the right “folks” and “people”?

Shouldn’t it be you to provide the links to these specific folks and people since it’s your claim?

So anyways, any chance you take your compatriots advice? Seems he feels it’s pointless for you to be in here everyday arguing with people you can’t find any common ground with.

Don’t you get tired of trying to shove Astros propaganda down the throats of Dodger fans?

I have to agree with Aeneas Hunter. It does seem pointless for both sides.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9441
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23805

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 6535

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.


Quote:
"Garbage can signaling went on during the 2017 postseason," Manfred said, clarifying a point that wasn't explicitly clear in the original Jan. 13 report. "There was conflicting evidence on that point. In an investigation you often have conflicting evidence and it was my view that the more credible evidence was that they continued to use this scheme in the postseason."

When asked by Sports Illustrated's Stephanie Apstein what that "more credible evidence" was, Manfred responded: "Yeah, it was statements from players."

The Los Angeles Times' Jorge Castillo notes that some Astros players have previously refuted that they used the trash can scheme in the postseason.


Wonder if these players included Correa?

Yup!

Quote:
Correa also explained that the club stopped its practice of banging on a trash can to signify to hitters which pitch was coming during the 2017 postseason. He reasoned stadiums were too loud for that method to be effective.


Is this the same Correa trying to exonerate Altuve? Yup!

Yeah, player immunity sure does bring out the truth....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 137127
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).


It's nuts dude, there are fans of 29 other teams and since this is an LA Lakers site, probably more Dodgers fans than anything but you wouldn't know it from this goofy thread- Two butthurt Lastro's fans defending and defending and defending for like, the last 25 pages (look it up, it's NUTS).
I live in LA and for goofballs that don't live here- LA has people from your hometown-FACT.
People come from everywhere to be employed in the entertainment industry on some level- the ones I know that are from Houston have accepted defeat- it's only the asshats that live in their houston bubble that think this will somehow blow over...


Yup. You'd have to be an ass at this point to defend them in any way.


But it will blow over.
_________________
“I loved playing music to his words” - John Densmore on Jim Morrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9441
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.


Because initial reports from the league were that the Astros stopped cheating before the 2017 postseason. Everyone knew that was BS and then the league walked that back and said that they were cheating through the 2017 postseason + part of 2018.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9441
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.


Because initial reports from the league were that the Astros stopped cheating before the 2017 postseason. Everyone knew that was BS and then the league walked that back and said that they were cheating through the 2017 postseason + part of 2018.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 6711
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).


It's nuts dude, there are fans of 29 other teams and since this is an LA Lakers site, probably more Dodgers fans than anything but you wouldn't know it from this goofy thread- Two butthurt Lastro's fans defending and defending and defending for like, the last 25 pages (look it up, it's NUTS).
I live in LA and for goofballs that don't live here- LA has people from your hometown-FACT.
People come from everywhere to be employed in the entertainment industry on some level- the ones I know that are from Houston have accepted defeat- it's only the asshats that live in their houston bubble that think this will somehow blow over...


Yup. You'd have to be an ass at this point to defend them in any way.


But it will blow over.


No it won't but I'm not surprised you trying to downplay everything.
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 6711
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.


Because initial reports from the league were that the Astros stopped cheating before the 2017 postseason. Everyone knew that was BS and then the league walked that back and said that they were cheating through the 2017 postseason + part of 2018.


I'm not convinced they stopped cheating. Why stop if you've never been caught.
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23805

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Quote:

Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya
Rob Manfred said the trash can banging scheme was in use by the Astros during the 2017 postseason.
3:30 PM · Feb 18, 2020·TweetDeck


I'm not sure why this is popping up in the news now. Here is what was in the original report:

Quote:
Notwithstanding the publicity surrounding the Red Sox incident, and the September 15th memorandum that I sent to all Clubs, the Astros continued to both utilize the replay review room and the monitor located next to the dugout to decode signs for the remainder of the regular season and throughout the Postseason.


It puzzles me that people in the media are treating this as if it was some new revelation. Maybe I'm missing something.


Because initial reports from the league were that the Astros stopped cheating before the 2017 postseason. Everyone knew that was BS and then the league walked that back and said that they were cheating through the 2017 postseason + part of 2018.


I quoted the report from the league. It says exactly the opposite of what you are saying. As best I can tell, this latest discussion comes from the fact that the report did not specifically address the trash can banging. I thought that was obvious, because the monitor next to the dugout was used in conjunction with the trash can banging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3573
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

A couple things here.

The fact that MLB monitored the video room is a non sequitar. The home team can have it's own camera set up where MLB doesn't know and run a cable to anywhere. Not the official video room where MLB is monitoring. Communication via some radio devise to someone who whistles or plays a whistle sound is easy enough. Or sends a signal to a piece of worn technology. Cheating can also happen on the road if the road team is taking a commercial video feed and signalling using that as well. Now I don't know if those feeds are on a delay or not which would mess up the scheme.

The greater point is though, everyone keeps asking why didn't Manfred do this or that. Well if your assumption is that he is after the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God you will probably be disappointed, as am I. We have to remember that Manfred is working for the owners and his charge may well be just to minimize the damage and make this go away. He had to give up 2017 because he had a witness go public. But how does it look if they are letting this go on 3 years. If this is a whitewash job it's because the owners want it that way. I think they miscalculated on the vitriol of the fans and the players, not to mention the media's ability to keep it alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3573
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

A couple things here.

The fact that MLB monitored the video room is a non sequitar. The home team can have it's own camera set up where MLB doesn't know and run a cable to anywhere. Not the official video room where MLB is monitoring. Communication via some radio devise to someone who whistles or plays a whistle sound is easy enough. Or sends a signal to a piece of worn technology. Cheating can also happen on the road if the road team is taking a commercial video feed and signalling using that as well. Now I don't know if those feeds are on a delay or not which would mess up the scheme.

The greater point is though, everyone keeps asking why didn't Manfred do this or that. Well if your assumption is that he is after the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God you will probably be disappointed, as am I. We have to remember that Manfred is working for the owners and his charge may well be just to minimize the damage and make this go away. He had to give up 2017 because he had a witness go public. But how does it look if they are letting this go on 3 years. If this is a whitewash job it's because the owners want it that way. I think they miscalculated on the vitriol of the fans and the players, not to mention the media's ability to keep it alive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 44230

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The *stros title is so tainted at this point that no one takes it seriously.

Strip it or not (I say yes) but either way these guys have become the laughingstocks of baseball. The joker in Boston (JD Martinez) is likely guilty as charged also.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 23805

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
A couple things here.

The fact that MLB monitored the video room is a non sequitar. The home team can have it's own camera set up where MLB doesn't know and run a cable to anywhere. Not the official video room where MLB is monitoring. Communication via some radio devise to someone who whistles or plays a whistle sound is easy enough. Or sends a signal to a piece of worn technology. Cheating can also happen on the road if the road team is taking a commercial video feed and signalling using that as well. Now I don't know if those feeds are on a delay or not which would mess up the scheme.


Sure, you can always come up with some hypothetical way that a team could cheat. This is not limited to the Astros, either. Some of what you are describing sounds like what the Giants were doing in the early 1950s. They didn't have video feeds, but instead had a guy with binoculars.

In the case of the Astros, there are specific descriptions of what they were doing. The signs were decoded in the video room. The Astros set up a special video monitor just outside of the dugout. They decoded signs there, and more importantly banged the trash can to relay the information. When MLB initiated in-person monitoring, the monitor would walk right past the location of the dugout monitor while going from video room to video room.

Now, I can't disprove a conspiracy theory. You can always speculate that the Astros might have done X, Y, and Z. However, there's no evidence that it every happened, other than people like Aroldis Chapman trying to blame the Astros for the fact that he hung a slider to Altuve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3573
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
A couple things here.

The fact that MLB monitored the video room is a non sequitar. The home team can have it's own camera set up where MLB doesn't know and run a cable to anywhere. Not the official video room where MLB is monitoring. Communication via some radio devise to someone who whistles or plays a whistle sound is easy enough. Or sends a signal to a piece of worn technology. Cheating can also happen on the road if the road team is taking a commercial video feed and signalling using that as well. Now I don't know if those feeds are on a delay or not which would mess up the scheme.


Sure, you can always come up with some hypothetical way that a team could cheat. This is not limited to the Astros, either. Some of what you are describing sounds like what the Giants were doing in the early 1950s. They didn't have video feeds, but instead had a guy with binoculars.

In the case of the Astros, there are specific descriptions of what they were doing. The signs were decoded in the video room. The Astros set up a special video monitor just outside of the dugout. They decoded signs there, and more importantly banged the trash can to relay the information. When MLB initiated in-person monitoring, the monitor would walk right past the location of the dugout monitor while going from video room to video room.

Now, I can't disprove a conspiracy theory. You can always speculate that the Astros might have done X, Y, and Z. However, there's no evidence that it every happened, other than people like Aroldis Chapman trying to blame the Astros for the fact that he hung a slider to Altuve.


Why can't we go into hypotheticals here? Because you say? There are plenty of videos out there with whistling purportedly signalling pitches. I also don't know why you clipped my post unless you don't want to discuss why MLB is slow playing this. Actually the solution to this problem is more technology not less. Let the pitchers and catchers communicate electronically is a trigger mechanism in the catchers glove. The fielders could get the same information via wearable tech. Side issue is it would speed up the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 69 of 70
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB