2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
IMO, it already would’ve blown over if the NY and LA teams weren’t beaten on the way to the 2017 title.

It wouldn’t have blown over, but it wouldn’t be discussed as much. In this era, sports reporting is dependent on click generation. Dodger and Yankee fans can generate an awful lot of clicks. But what happened was bad enough that this would still be in the news if the other teams were the Rays and Marlins.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
strong9 wrote:
It is about integrity and Manfred hasn't engendered confidence in this regard. He looks like Goodell at the moment and that guy has a real credibility problem.

Yet the NFL is still thriving. They even gave Goddell a 5 yr extension. I think that’s his point. And IMO, it already would’ve blown over if the NY and LA teams weren’t beaten on the way to the 2017 title.

The NFL has now come back after a consistent decline. At what point did I say this is permanent? He has a problem right now and you all seem to be like it's just another day. But if he keeps stepping in it it won't be. Goodell serves at the pleasure of the owners. His integrity and his contract are two different things.

It would not have died down. Players are coming out daily and ripping MLB. That is mostly on Manfred. Calling the trophy a piece of metal and similar stupidity perpetuates this.

Who said he didn’t have a problem “right now”. Actually, the other poster describes why he has a problem “right now”. The disagreement was in how long the issue would last, etc.

Then I'm confused why you are quoting me because I never broached the subject of duration at all.

I quoted you in regards to Goddell. Point was Goddell is good. Got extended. Making rich guys richer. Etc. Manfred is fine, as the other poster noted.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

2017 Lastros* will be talked in the same vein as the 1919 Black Sox no matter if they get stripped of the title or not.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Who is Goddell?
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
strong9 wrote:
It is about integrity and Manfred hasn't engendered confidence in this regard. He looks like Goodell at the moment and that guy has a real credibility problem.

Yet the NFL is still thriving. They even gave Goddell a 5 yr extension. I think that’s his point. And IMO, it already would’ve blown over if the NY and LA teams weren’t beaten on the way to the 2017 title.

The NFL has now come back after a consistent decline. At what point did I say this is permanent? He has a problem right now and you all seem to be like it's just another day. But if he keeps stepping in it it won't be. Goodell serves at the pleasure of the owners. His integrity and his contract are two different things.

It would not have died down. Players are coming out daily and ripping MLB. That is mostly on Manfred. Calling the trophy a piece of metal and similar stupidity perpetuates this.

Who said he didn’t have a problem “right now”. Actually, the other poster describes why he has a problem “right now”. The disagreement was in how long the issue would last, etc.

Then I'm confused why you are quoting me because I never broached the subject of duration at all.

I quoted you in regards to Goddell. Point was Goddell is good. Got extended. Making rich guys richer. Etc. Manfred is fine, as the other poster noted.

Satchel Paige my friend, Satchel Paige.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
2017 Lastros* will be talked in the same vein as the 1919 Black Sox no matter if they get stripped of the title or not.

this is true..

but it won't make the cheating stop since the punishment was such a slap on the wrist.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Cost is too high in Netherlands. $300 for an ER visit. $90 for the most basic doctor checkup and by basic I mean ANYTHING extra. Late night visit to the hospital? Be ready to pay extra. Around $100 for a non hospital visit. People will stay home when they shouldn’t. And we’ll all end up paying more in the long run.

GOP will fight moderate change in healthcare with an unprecedented vigor.

M4 all who want it is negotiating against ourselves. Fight for M4A and our children will live in an America with universal coverage (like Netherlands). Fight for less (like Pete wants) and we’ll still have people not treating their life threatening illnesses just to pay for rent.

??
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Cost is too high in Netherlands. $300 for an ER visit. $90 for the most basic doctor checkup and by basic I mean ANYTHING extra. Late night visit to the hospital? Be ready to pay extra. Around $100 for a non hospital visit. People will stay home when they shouldn’t. And we’ll all end up paying more in the long run.

M4 all who want it is negotiating against ourselves. Fight for M4A and our children will live in an America with universal coverage (like Netherlands). Fight for less (like Pete wants) and we’ll still have people not treating their life threatening illnesses just to pay for rent.

??

Think our boy wandered in from the politics thread .
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

??

Wrong thread
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

??

Think our boy wandered in from the politics thread .

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:

2017 is forever the *stros "title"

Tainted and not valid in anyone's mind.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

It'd be interesting if they do a 10 year reunion.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Yes, but as punishment, none of them are allowed to know when and where ahead of time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject:

Manfred is terrible for baseball. The sport that he is overseeing is suffering a slow death, and he is making it worse.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Yes, but as punishment, none of them are allowed to know when and where ahead of time.

They only get buzzed before the start of the reunion.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Manfred is terrible for baseball. The sport that he is overseeing is suffering a slow death, and he is making it worse.

Sure. I've only been hearing about the slow death of baseball since the 1970s.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

They only get buzzed before the start of the reunion.

Quote:
Giants to exclude Aubrey Huff from 2010 World Series reunion, citing 'unacceptable' tweets

ESPN

The San Francisco Giants said Monday that they won't invite Aubrey Huff to a reunion of the 2010 World Series-winning team this summer because of "unacceptable" comments made by Huff on social media.

"Earlier this month, we reached out to Aubrey Huff to let him know that he will not be included in the upcoming 2010 World Series Championship reunion. Aubrey has made multiple comments on social media that are unacceptable and run counter to the values of our organization," the Giants said in a statement. "While we appreciate the many contributions that Aubrey made to the 2010 championship season, we stand by our decision."

Huff, 43, played first base and outfield on the 2010 team and retired after the 2012 season. He played the final three seasons of his 13-year career with the Giants. In 2010, he played in 157 games, hitting .290 with 26 homers and 86 RBIs. The reunion is scheduled for Aug. 16.

In November, Huff posted a tweet containing a picture of him holding a shooting target with holes. The caption on the post said in part that he was "getting my boys trained up on how to use a gun in the unlikely event @BernieSanders beats @realDonaldTrump in 2020."

In January, he posted a since-deleted tweet about kidnapping Iranian women so "we can bring them back here as they fan us and feed us grapes." He later tweeted that his post was a joke.

"Quite frankly, shocked. Disappointed. If it wasn't for me, they wouldn't be having a reunion," Huff told The Athletic about the Giants' decision. "But if they want to stick with their politically correct, progressive bulls---, that's fine."

I can see these headlines in 2027: "Astros reached out to Mike Fiers to let him know that he will not be included in the upcoming 2017 World Series Championship reunion citing unacceptable comments.”
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Baseball was the #1 sport in America in the 1970's. It is now #3 and fading. The gap between the NBA and MLB is widening with each passing year. Baseball is not attracting new fans, and by and large it's a sport with an old following. I'm not saying it's at risk of becoming the NHL, but that's what I mean by "slow death."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Baseball was the #1 sport in America in the 1970's. It is now #3 and fading. The gap between the NBA and MLB is widening with each passing year. Baseball is not attracting new fans, and by and large it's a sport with an old following. I'm not saying it's at risk of becoming the NHL, but that's what I mean by "slow death."

Naw. MLB blows away the NBA. The NFL has become the top league, but MLB hasn't declined at all. Here are MLB's revenues through 2018:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193466/total-league-revenue-of-the-mlb-since-2005/

It was $10.3B in 2018 and $10.7B in 2019. The NBA is around $8B in the current bubble.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LeBron James
@KingJames
Listen I know I don’t play baseball but I am in Sports and I know if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F*^king irate! I mean like uncontrollable about what I would/could do! Listen here baseball commissioner listen to your.....

Word.

Rob, do us all a favor, and just vacate the title. And take away international spending $ and a couple of 2nd round picks (along with the current punishment). Forget the suspensions that the stupid union will fight. Forget the post season ban.

Take down the banner. Add an asterisk. Melt the trophy. Players synonymous with cheating forever.

So that we can move on and watch the Dodgers kick butt this year!

Quote:
Jared Dudley
@JaredDudley619

Vacate the title bruh!!!!!!! Take back the MVP.. and 1 year postseason ban!!!!!

Oh, yea. Good point on the MVP award as well.
But I'm still iffy on the 1 year ban.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

VACATE THE TILE BRUH!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
VACATE THE TILE BRUH!!!

No! You vacate it bruh!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
governator wrote:
VACATE THE TILE BRUH!!!

No! You vacate it bruh!

It's just a tile bruh
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
epic_ wrote:
governator wrote:
VACATE THE TILE BRUH!!!

No! You vacate it bruh!

It's just a tile bruh

A piece of metal bruh
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 67 of 70
Jump to: