Magic's Game Plan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Magic's Game Plan

Magic (jokes aside) is a guy who thinks big. He went after Lebron and got him. I thought about this last night. I seriously doubt he changes his mentality after this miserable season. In fact, I bet he doubles down. My predictions, after contemplating this late into the evening, on what Magic does this offseason:

1. Hire Tom Izzo--It's a splash. It's bold. Plus, Magic knows him. There is the Michigan St connection. I say Magic doesn't hire Kidd, Lue or Mark Jackson, and goes with the Italian Stallion.

2. Offer Ingram, Kuzma, Ball and our first rd pick for A. Davis--New GM in NO. They may be ready to deal. This is particularly plausible if Kyrie heads to NY or LA and Boston loses the incentive because they will view it as a one year rental. Ingram's play the past few months only enhances this possibility.

3. Look to sign a max player--Start with KD, move to Kawhi, then to Kyrie, then to Kemba. Those are the four players I'd offer max money to. Butler? Not a max guy in my book. But, if the other guys say no, offer Butler 25 mil and DJ 13 mil. There's our money.

4. Fill in the gaps with smart, savvy role players--If we strike it rich, we won't have much money. So, beggars cannot be choosers. If we fail with the big boys (no AD, no max guys), then desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point, you sign Ross, DJ and a different backup PG and spend the 38 mil. I don not want to kick the can down the road for next year again by signing guys to one year deals.

This may not be how most of you want the offseason to go, but being a Lakers fan for 35 years, this is how I think it will go. Hope for the best.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

NBA requires youth and speed nowadays
Our savvy vets are slow and old
How do we afford young talent to fill in those gaps?

If Durability is a problem with Lonzo then keeping him could adversely
Affect any team he's on

Keep him and wait for another injury or?
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
NBA requires youth and speed nowadays
Our savvy vets are slow and old
How do we afford young talent to fill in those gaps?

If Durability is a problem with Lonzo then keeping him could adversely
Affect any team he's on

Keep him and wait for another injury or?

I know I said smart, savvy vets but I didn't mean unathletic old guys. Just guys who know their role and will play it. Ross, DJ are two examples. As for Lonzo, I like him. He's got a lot of promise. But if we are lucky enough to get A. Davis, ship him and his dad the hell out of town, pronto.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

I see this happening too
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

If Magic tries to hire Tom Izzo as coach, Jeanie should immediately fire him.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

ericp6387 wrote:

3. Look to sign a max player--Start with KD, move to Kawhi, then to Kyrie, then to Kemba. Those are the four players I'd offer max money to. Butler? Not a max guy in my book. But, if the other guys say no, offer Butler 25 mil and DJ 13 mil. There's our money.

It's not like these guys will hang around waiting for us to talk to our first option, second option and so on. Last year the big fish decided very quickly, and I expect it again this year (maybe KD does a little tour). But teams need to focus on which guys they want. There's no way Kawhi signs with a team that sees KD as a first option over him. I'd also expect to sign guys like Kemba you'd have to go all-in on him and make him believe you see him as the big thing, because that's what Charlotte will do.

We need to choose a guy and lock in, this is how this works.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

Magic has his fantasy "game plan" and then he has to deal with reality.

After this disaster of a season and the lack of any chemistry and leadership it will be difficult to lure any marquee players or coaches to the Lakers.

Whether his fault or not, having James as the centerpiece for the next 2-3 years will continue to be a difficult and likely "toxic" environment. Why would any top notch HC or player choose to join this dysfunctional mess? For the money? To be the savior? L.A. lifestyle? The joy of playing alongside James?

IMO the next HC will be a Shaw, Lue or Kidd type. An experienced retread with a good reputation. Not seeing any of the college or young coach options being seriously considered or interested in taking on the James/ Laker project.

At this point I have given up any hope that Magic will be patient or prudent. He will sell the farm for AD. Will just matter if Pels GM chooses to trade with him. If that falls through I could see the panic increase to target the next in line in his grand master plan (that seems to change on every whim or failure)

I expect next season's roster to be a complete turnover. Likely about 9 of the top 10 players this year gone. Team will be James-centric with declining returns over the next couple years. Team will be a couple of marquee players and no depth. Filled with marginal vets, limited old cheap ring chasers (C. Frye types will always have a job) and end of the bench guys like Bonga or Caruso forced into action every once in a while.

Magic's plan will be to hype the hell out of the 2 max players he delivered and hope the team can get through the season, play with some passion and maybe survive that first round in the playoffs.

Magic's "plan" failed the moment he made the centerpiece a declining James. Now we get to watch the slow death of it for a couple years and the subsequent rebuild with a new GM.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

So you want to make an even worse deal with NO and then spend more cap money than is available to sign free agents that are likely uninterested in this dysfunctional mess?
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

Threatt_Level wrote:

Why???????????
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

AirKobe8 wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:

It's not like these guys will hang around waiting for us to talk to our first option, second option and so on. Last year the big fish decided very quickly, and I expect it again this year (maybe KD does a little tour). But teams need to focus on which guys they want. There's no way Kawhi signs with a team that sees KD as a first option over him. I'd also expect to sign guys like Kemba you'd have to go all-in on him and make him believe you see him as the big thing, because that's what Charlotte will do.

We need to choose a guy and lock in, this is how this works.

Cast a wide net. Let all these guys know of your interest and see which one is the most viable.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

I think it's the opposite, I expect LA to do a full reboot...a FA is going to be an actual part. I also think LA is going to go after a Big Name coach.

The pitch is going to come play with LeBron, come play for legendary coach "x" come and be a leading voice in how this team is put together, etc.

I think players are likely to feel they are LESS likely to be in LeBrons shadow after this train wreck and will take on the role of the player that LA needed to get things back on track.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

After this disaster of a season and the lack of any chemistry and leadership it will be difficult to lure any marquee players or coaches to the Lakers.

Whether his fault or not, having James as the centerpiece for the next 2-3 years will continue to be a difficult and likely "toxic" environment. Why would any top notch HC or player choose to join this dysfunctional mess? For the money? To be the savior? L.A. lifestyle? The joy of playing alongside James?

IMO the next HC will be a Shaw, Lue or Kidd type. An experienced retread with a good reputation. Not seeing any of the college or young coach options being seriously considered or interested in taking on the James/ Laker project.

At this point I have given up any hope that Magic will be patient or prudent. He will sell the farm for AD. Will just matter if Pels GM chooses to trade with him. If that falls through I could see the panic increase to target the next in line in his grand master plan (that seems to change on every whim or failure)

I expect next season's roster to be a complete turnover. Likely about 9 of the top 10 players this year gone. Team will be James-centric with declining returns over the next couple years. Team will be a couple of marquee players and no depth. Filled with marginal vets, limited old cheap ring chasers (C. Frye types will always have a job) and end of the bench guys like Bonga or Caruso forced into action every once in a while.

Magic's plan will be to hype the hell out of the 2 max players he delivered and hope the team can get through the season, play with some passion and maybe survive that first round in the playoffs.

Magic's "plan" failed the moment he made the centerpiece a declining James. Now we get to watch the slow death of it for a couple years and the subsequent rebuild with a new GM.

Can't undo the Lebron signing. We can only move forward.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
So you want to make an even worse deal with NO and then spend more cap money than is available to sign free agents that are likely uninterested in this dysfunctional mess?

You lost me...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:

Can't undo the Lebron signing. We can only move forward.

And can you feel how thrilled I am with that plan?

Going to be interesting to see how Magic attempts to fix this mess. I would like to think he and the organization have a solid plan moving into the summer. A focused approach of coach and players.

Magic using his winning personality and old trolling for girls at LA clubs approach will kill this team.

"I'm Magic Johnson, all those interested step inside the VIP room?" is not going to work with NBA free agents with multiple options.

My concern is the FA's will simply not be interested. Then what? James and the organization have already alienated the other players. Although still damn good this is not "prime" James where you can overlook the flaws.

This has not been a good year for him perception wise. Will players give him the same free pass as so many fans are doing? Or are they wanting none of the dysfunction?
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

ericp6387 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:

Why???????????

Because he's a crusty, old college coach. He's not a bold or innovative hire. If you're going to hire from college, it should be someone like Jay Wright. Otherwise, there are plenty of NBA assistants that would make much better hires that are already up to speed with what's going on in the league. Izzo would be as much of a "name" hire as Kidd, except Kidd has actual NBA coaching experience.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

It's almost 3 max or bust this offseason.

I'll say there is no way we head into next season with Lebron and the young core both on the roster. That bridge is burned to the ground
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

Going to be interesting to see how Magic attempts to fix this mess. I would like to think he and the organization have a solid plan moving into the summer. A focused approach of coach and players.

Magic using his winning personality and old trolling for girls at LA clubs approach will kill this team.

"I'm Magic Johnson, all those interested step inside the VIP room?" is not going to work with NBA free agents with multiple options.

My concern is the FA's will simply not be interested. Then what? James and the organization have already alienated the other players. Although still damn good this is not "prime" James where you can overlook the flaws.

This has not been a good year for him perception wise. Will players give him the same free pass as so many fans are doing? Or are they wanting none of the dysfunction?

A lot of people aren't thrilled with moving forward with LeBron, but it would be even worse to throw him overboard. He's more important to this whole plan that Magic is. If LeBron can show that he's going to put his ego aside and let someone else take over the team, that will go a long way toward getting a KD or a Kawhi.

But you're right. Magic is basically no different that Jim Buss in his approach to wooing free agents. Jim Buss tried to sell them on "it's the Lakers" and Magic is trying to sell them on "I'm Magic". We just got "lucky" that LeBron just wanted to be in L.A. to work on his post-NBA career.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
It's almost 3 max or bust this offseason.

I'll say there is no way we head into next season with Lebron and the young core both on the roster. That bridge is burned to the ground

How do you figure? It's the vet signings that have been the biggest problems for us. The young guys still have to play for their first big contract. If they can't get us into the playoffs, that's going to seriously affect how much they get paid in a few years. They're not going to go out there and dog it on purpose.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

NO isn’t trading AD here
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:

A lot of people aren't thrilled with moving forward with LeBron, but it would be even worse to throw him overboard. He's more important to this whole plan that Magic is. If LeBron can show that he's going to put his ego aside and let someone else take over the team, that will go a long way toward getting a KD or a Kawhi.

But you're right. Magic is basically no different that Jim Buss in his approach to wooing free agents. Jim Buss tried to sell them on "it's the Lakers" and Magic is trying to sell them on "I'm Magic". We just got "lucky" that LeBron just wanted to be in L.A. to work on his post-NBA career.

Same people bashing him about needing a closer, are the same ones saying that no one will sign here because Lebron don't share the spotlight. When history shows that he's been willing to share it. Did it Wade and Kyrie. These are the same people who are twisting KD's word about him being toxic. When KD said it himself said it's not Lebron' fault. KD was clearly talking about the media surrounding Lebron.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

Threatt_Level wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:

Why???????????

Because he's a crusty, old college coach. He's not a bold or innovative hire. If you're going to hire from college, it should be someone like Jay Wright. Otherwise, there are plenty of NBA assistants that would make much better hires that are already up to speed with what's going on in the league. Izzo would be as much of a "name" hire as Kidd, except Kidd has actual NBA coaching experience.

Jay Wright is my first choice. I just think he stays with Villanova.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

Threatt_Level wrote:

so Jeanie can hire another ex-laker retreat?
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NO isn’t trading AD here

Maybe. But you can bet we ain't done trying.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Magic's Game Plan

ericp6387 wrote:
Magic (jokes aside) is a guy who thinks big. He went after Lebron and got him. I thought about this last night. I seriously doubt he changes his mentality after this miserable season. In fact, I bet he doubles down. My predictions, after contemplating this late into the evening, on what Magic does this offseason:

1. Hire Tom Izzo--It's a splash. It's bold. Plus, Magic knows him. There is the Michigan St connection. I say Magic doesn't hire Kidd, Lue or Mark Jackson, and goes with the Italian Stallion.

2. Offer Ingram, Kuzma, Ball and our first rd pick for A. Davis--New GM in NO. They may be ready to deal. This is particularly plausible if Kyrie heads to NY or LA and Boston loses the incentive because they will view it as a one year rental. Ingram's play the past few months only enhances this possibility.

4. Fill in the gaps with smart, savvy role players--If we strike it rich, we won't have much money. So, beggars cannot be choosers. If we fail with the big boys (no AD, no max guys), then desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point, you sign Ross, DJ and a different backup PG and spend the 38 mil. I don not want to kick the can down the road for next year again by signing guys to one year deals.

This may not be how most of you want the offseason to go, but being a Lakers fan for 35 years, this is how I think it will go. Hope for the best.

If we use up our cap space, then the whole AD will sign w/ the Lakers in 2020 was a bluff.

People were saying why would the Celtics trade for AD when he’s just going to sign w/ the Lakers in 2020 anyways?

The answer - because they called the bluff.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
NO isn’t trading AD here
BINGO!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: