imagine owning the Lakers. How would you fix this s*** show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
chains wrote:
Take it easy my young chap. Rome was not built in a year. Greatness takes time. U are too young to understand. U all are talking about trading the best player in the world. Relax. Puke is one of our issues. Magic got us one of the big fishes. All of u had a hard on at the time. We have had injuring and we have a sorry ass coach.

VocabuLaker wrote:
chains wrote:
Horrible ideas.

Its called panic.

Our front office is fine. We are going as planned. We need to sign one or more superstars this summer. Magic is a smart business man. Your are all talking like he is Kupchank.

Puke needs to go. He is just not a good coach. Why he was hired in the first place was because he had 10 superstars that went 18 and 0. I said it here first that was horrible idea.

I agree, but Magic is that you

These are both bad takes.

1. Not everyone was happy when we signed Lebron. I was one of those not happy. Even if they were happy, they are now seeing the true colors. How they felt before is irrelevant. Lebron doesn't fit the Lakers and he has done more damage than good. It was quite obvious that would be the case but not everyone saw it.
2. You claiming greatness takes time is hilarious. If it takes time why try to trade every young asset and why sign a guy THAT HAS NO TIME??? Lakers are doing the exact opposite of taking time. They're rushing things
3. We don't have a sorry ass coach. Just like I believe Blatt wasn't a sorry ass coach. We have a coach that Lebron won't listen to. He wants a puppet at coach and he will pout and act like a 5 year old until he gets his way.
4. One big fish doesn't mean anything. That big fish basically came in and killed all the little fish.
5. Our front office is not fine. It's been god awful and arguably one of the worst in the league. Mistake after mistake.

Who's LeBron hating alt is this?
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
MustardJam wrote:
chains wrote:
Take it easy my young chap. Rome was not built in a year. Greatness takes time. U are too young to understand. U all are talking about trading the best player in the world. Relax. Puke is one of our issues. Magic got us one of the big fishes. All of u had a hard on at the time. We have had injuring and we have a sorry ass coach.

VocabuLaker wrote:
chains wrote:
Horrible ideas.

Its called panic.

Our front office is fine. We are going as planned. We need to sign one or more superstars this summer. Magic is a smart business man. Your are all talking like he is Kupchank.

Puke needs to go. He is just not a good coach. Why he was hired in the first place was because he had 10 superstars that went 18 and 0. I said it here first that was horrible idea.

I agree, but Magic is that you

These are both bad takes.

1. Not everyone was happy when we signed Lebron. I was one of those not happy. Even if they were happy, they are now seeing the true colors. How they felt before is irrelevant. Lebron doesn't fit the Lakers and he has done more damage than good. It was quite obvious that would be the case but not everyone saw it.
2. You claiming greatness takes time is hilarious. If it takes time why try to trade every young asset and why sign a guy THAT HAS NO TIME??? Lakers are doing the exact opposite of taking time. They're rushing things
3. We don't have a sorry ass coach. Just like I believe Blatt wasn't a sorry ass coach. We have a coach that Lebron won't listen to. He wants a puppet at coach and he will pout and act like a 5 year old until he gets his way.
4. One big fish doesn't mean anything. That big fish basically came in and killed all the little fish.
5. Our front office is not fine. It's been god awful and arguably one of the worst in the league. Mistake after mistake.

I don't hate Lebron. I hated him on the Lakers as a Lakers fan from the start. Getting a 35 year old Lebron with his tendency for demands and desire to win right away makes zero sense for a team that isn't close to competing. He'd be incredible on the 76ers for example but Lakers? Not so much. Lebron is an all-time great without a doubt but i'm a Lakers fan not a Lebron fan and the Lakers aren't the fit for him.
XxBaDGuYxX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Winning cures it all.

- Kobe Bryant
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

XxBaDGuYxX wrote:
Winning cures it all.

It would if it happened...

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

These last few weeks have proven a few things to me

1) We can’t move Lonzo. As crappy as his offense is at times, cranjis has him rated as THE BEST defensive PG in the league.

2) Our FO screwed up in FA. We should have gotten a rim protecting young big, straight up. Nerlens Noel was probably the guy and he’s a Klutch Client. The vets that we signed are fine, but aside from McGee for a stretch none play defense.

3) I don’t think Luke sucks, but he’s not good enough to make a difference on his own. I don’t know if firing him is gonna help unless you bring someone vastly more talented in.

I don’t really hate any of our trades like most here

DLO - volume shooter no D
Jules - inside scorer, no D
JC - volume scorer, no D
Zubac - decent on both ends, nothing special

DLO is going to command a max, is that the kind of player you can tie a max slot up with and compete for a championship? Julius wants 18+ on a long term contract, he puts up numbers but he doesn’t actually help his team win.

The only player I miss and liked was nance. Dude is a hustler and defender and a perfect role player for a contending team.

I understand what Rob and Magic are doing. If they wanted to have a 6-8 seed for the next 8 years they never won anything m, they would have kept all the young guys together. The sad reality is that except for Zo, Maybe and a big Maybe, nobody is going to remember who any of them were in 20 years IMO.

Last edited by Fortysixn2 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

Dbl post
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Moving forward?

Make sure Jeanie doesn't have any say in basketball decisions...

GO all in for a combo guard ala Irving or Damien, unless Durant comes....

Find a way to steal Klay from the Warriors and sign joe HArris on the Nets
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

If I was the owner, I would give one more year of time to the FO and the coach.

For the FO, they’ve done an acceptable job so far. When Magic took over the job, the team was full of young players and no salary space for FA. He cleared the room and got James and drafted a few good players.

As we couldn’t signed another big name last summer, Magic decided to keep the salary space for this summer. As a result, he could surround James with rental players or youngsters only. And our youngsters were extremely young and green.

I hope we could land another big name FA this summer. If not, Magic may use the salary space to acquire other quality FAs, not rental anymore. He may also make trade for suitable players.

We could question Magic for deciding to keep the salary space for this summer. Or we have to be patient to see what he will do to this summer. What he has done so far is with the constraint to keep the salary space. It’s not fair to judge him at this moment.

For Luke, he has also demonstrated what he could do with a handicap roster. The team have been improving under him for the past few years and was once to number 4 in the West with the youngsters and rental new comers, although we may not agreed with some of his decisions. The injuries of James and Rando, arguably the best 2 players of the team, both missed a massive number of games (missed 18 and 34 games respectively out of 57 games so far). Taking into account the injuries and the roster we have, the results of 28-29 could be also considered acceptable IMO. Thus, I would give him a shot for next year too.
Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1. If I owned the Lakers, the first thing I would do is sit back and say, "Damn, I'm worth 3 billion bucks."

2. I would hire Jerry West and say, "Figure it out and do what you want."

3. I'd go travel the world and check in in about six months to see how it was going.

I vote for this one.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:

Haha I'm sure the 2/13/09 account with 10 posts belongs to a virginal n00b. NOT!
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Mr. Zero wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1. If I owned the Lakers, the first thing I would do is sit back and say, "Damn, I'm worth 3 billion bucks."

3. I'd go travel the world and check in in about six months to see how it was going.

I vote for this one.

Funny that people put West on a pedestal. Literally all he did with the clippers roster was trade all of the talent away and open up two max slots, just like we did. Except we have more young talent to put around them.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

It's a real mess. Idk, got to think about it...
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am Post subject:
1. Trade Ingram/Deng to Sacramento for #7. Draft Bamba.

2. Sign George starting at $30,300,000

3. Sign James starting at $35,350,000

4. Sign Lopez for $8,000,000/ 1 year

5. Sign Randle starting at up to $20,000,000

6. Draft Shamet or another PG at #25

7. Sign best available vet to room exception.

8. Sign best available vets to minimum contracts.

PF-Randle/Kuzma/Wear
SF-James/vet/vet
C-Lopez/Bamba/vet
PG-Ball/Shamet/vet
SG-George/Hart/2nd round pick

I posted this on May 6th. We would of been in better shape had this happened. Well, obviously the George signing didnt happen, because we didnt trade for him before last years deadline. And Bamba was taken with #6, but we could of made the same trade with Orlando. Even without PG13, we would be in much better shape, had we made these moves.

-Shamet is averaging 9ppg and making 2 threes per game at 41% in 21 minutes of play.

-Randle is averagin 20ppg, 9rpg, 3spg and 34% threes in 30mpg.

-Bamba would be our strecth 5 of the future. No need to "diversify" the center position when you have a center that could rim run, defend and shoot.

-Lopez is averaging 12ppg and hitting 2.4 threes per game at 37% in 28mpg.

-We would be in much better salary cap position for next season without Deng's dead money on the books.

If only management would of went this route. Of course PG13 might be on our roster if we would of just traded for him before last years deadline.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
These last few weeks have proven a few things to me

1) We can’t move Lonzo. As crappy as his offense is at times, cranjis has him rated as THE BEST defensive PG in the league.

2) Our FO screwed up in FA. We should have gotten a rim protecting young big, straight up. Nerlens Noel was probably the guy and he’s a Klutch Client. The vets that we signed are fine, but aside from McGee for a stretch none play defense.

3) I don’t think Luke sucks, but he’s not good enough to make a difference on his own. I don’t know if firing him is gonna help unless you bring someone vastly more talented in.

I don’t really hate any of our trades like most here

DLO - volume shooter no D
Jules - inside scorer, no D
JC - volume scorer, no D
Zubac - decent on both ends, nothing special

DLO is going to command a max, is that the kind of player you can tie a max slot up with and compete for a championship? Julius wants 18+ on a long term contract, he puts up numbers but he doesn’t actually help his team win.

The only player I miss and liked was nance. Dude is a hustler and defender and a perfect role player for a contending team.

I understand what Rob and Magic are doing. If they wanted to have a 6-8 seed for the next 8 years they never won anything, they would have kept all the young guys together. The sad reality is that except for Zo, Maybe and a big Maybe, nobody is going to remember who any of them were in 20 years IMO.

We can move ZO if the deal is right. ZO isn't untouchable nor that valuable where you refuse pretty much anything but a top 3 player.

Having the best defensive PG is neither a garuanteed formula to win a championship nor is it necessary. Heck we were a terrible team without Bron despite ZO providing defense and only looked competent when ZO's offense started to pickup before he injured himself.

There is no consistent model to build a championship team except one thing: stars. If that's the case then sadly dlo is the closest to being a piece on a championship team since he's a star and the rest of the youth, including those on the Lakers, aren't ones.

Magic and Rob's plan isn't the problem: it's the execution. Giving up the youth so that you aren't a perenial 6-8 seed is a sound plan: giving them up for cap space and then having to use the remaining youth to correct that plan is not. To top it all off, they've created a dysfunctional situation where the cap space they've attained due to trading the youth is less effective. Their recent moves could make LA a less attractive destination for FA due to the toxicity, especially if they don't make the playoffs.

Not many people will remember ZO in 20 years as well if he isn't a star. Defense doesn't get remembered heavily over offense. Even role players like Horry, Shaw and Fisher were more remembered because they hit big shots rather than having a hand on someone's face.

Last edited by dabask11 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Players like Marcus Smart, Patrick Beverley, Jrue Holiday, George Hill, etc are the typical PG types that lead the NBA in defensive plus minus. Yes it's great to have a defensive PG but it doesn't necessarily lead to championships.

Then again when your best player, LeBron, plays no defense in the regular season maybe they need someone like Zo out there...I don't know the answer. Depends on the return I suppose.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Actions speak louder than words. Randle, Russell, Nance, and Zu -- who were once part of the "young core" -- are now gone. The rest of them have been offered up in trades. I see no reason to think the Lakers are especially committed to building around Ball, Ingram, Kuz and Hart

None of those guys we've gotten rid of are guys that you build a franchise around, and I include D'Angelo Russell in that. So, them being gone doesn't mean that the team isn't still committed to the youth movement. Most players a team drafts are usually gone after their rookie contracts, even for teams that are undergoing youth movements. Look at Philly, of all the players that were part of "The Process", who's left? Simmons, Embiid, and McConnell? Does the fact that they have gotten rid of MCW, Jah, Saric, Convington, etc. mean that they didn't build that team out of their drafted talent?

I mean, are we seriously crying over not paying Nance or Randle $10 million/year? We have Kuzma making $1.5 million, instead. And if we want Randle back, I doubt he's going to opt in to his current contract. We can sign him this offseason, since it looks like the 3-max plan will probably be a pipe dream.

I mean, if we weren't committed to building around Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart, why didn't we just ship a couple of them for Jimmy Butler? Why didn't we trade Ingram for PG?

Great point about Philly. You can't keep every draft pick, you have to try to be selective about the one's with the highest ceiling and what you are looking for. Complement the youth development with veterans and hopefully all star talent.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Great and fun thread. I've read through everyone and will be incorporating some of the early ideas.

I'd immediately let it be known that there is a 'new sheriff in town' to set the tone LeBron/Klutch doesn't run the franchise. Display to Kawhi more than anything.

I'd quietly start the search for brightest and best minds in analytics, strength/conditioning, medical staff, coaching, assistants, marketing, player development, etc.

Rest of Season

1) Force Luke to hire Thibs as associate HC for the rest of the year. to run the defense.

2) Sign Morris and hope Deandre Jordan comes available. If so, cut Muscala for him. (Thanks Magic).

3) Let this season play out and hope we can make the playoffs. Whatever happens happens.

Summer 2019

Approach: Understand we have LeBron and while he's not the same, know he brings in the big bucks and do so as the 1st/2nd piece on a championship team. While I'd somewhat be open to the idea of moving him, I'd rather build around him for the next 3 years.

1) Find out from Jerry West if he would come consult with us if we fired Magic/Pelinka and making Ryan West GM. If he says yes, then bye bye Maginka. If not, promote Ryan West to assistant GM, and Jesse Buss to President while releasing Magic but keeping Pelinka. As new owner, I'd get very involved with basketball ops.

2) Fire Luke- part of me wants to force him into a better staff, but the other part of me would want a clean slate so the players know that this is going to be a new start and we want a new attitude. Maybe Luke is too stale and we need a new voice.

3) First and foremost, I'd make a HUGE push to get Jay Wright. Offer record money if need be. But he's my guy. Brings stability, culture, great schemes, class, integrity, etc. If I couldn't get Jay, I'd try and poach Quinn Snyder or Eric Spolstra. When that inevitably fails, I'd open the coaching search and cast a wide net. Whoever I'd hire I want to bring on the best staff possible to make up for their weaknesses.

3) Hire best available person/people to run the infrastructural components of the organization. Medical staff, strength and conditioning, analytics, player development, marketing, client relations, PR, etc. I'd splurge on these areas. I'd purge every single department we currently have.

4) Target Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, and Klay in that order. Any of those guys get a max. With Kawhi, I'd make him feel like this is his team and that LeBron is hid sidekick. He can offensively play the Pippen role to Kawhi as Jordan. Ideally we sign DJ with the remaining cap after Kawhi. If none accept, I sign guys who can help us become a strong playoff teams to very fair deals- guys like Vuc.

5) AD- Depending on who we sign, I make a final offer to NO that only includes 2 of our young players (Kuz, BI, Lonzo) + picks. If that doesn't work, cool. Wait out until he's a FA in 2020 and if we need/want to, we can then move the fair value contracts we signed in 2019.

6) Player development Player development Player development - make these kids the best they can be.

7) Get rid of the stupid white jerseys and the black stripes.

Ideal roster heading into next season:

Jordan | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma
Ingram | Bullock
Kawhi | Hart
Lonzo | Rondo

but totally fine with a lesser roster as long as it's competitive with he top 4 of the west. Once LeBron comes off the books, use that cap space to get a star if possible but if not, add pieces that can help win games and hopefully by then we've developed some stars.

This is a good overall plan. The sheriff angle isn't needed and I dont think Leonard is scared to be in LBJ's shadow. James is already packing himself even before the injury, I think he knows he needs to do his part to bring in that star player. These laughable scenarios dealing James just put him in a rough spot, I can see him swaying KL or Kyrie here.

I'm going to project Kyrie and Cousins to the Knicks and the Celts dont offer Tatum in any scenario. Regardless, when Leonard signs then wrong or not Klutch and likely Davis will press hard for an LAL only resign. I'd love to have Jordan but he will still command plenty and can ring chase after that deal. Bullock and Javale's cap holds just fit. Davis goes for Ingram, Kuzma, the unsigned 1st, re signed KCP or Lance and a protected 1st. That or sub Ball for Ingram if Kyrie signs, I think NO demands Kuzma.

Ball or Kyrie
Bullock
Leonard or Ingram
James
Davis

Hart
Rondo
McGee
Wagner
Mbah a Moute (vet min)
Stauskas (vet min)
Bonga
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

If I'm owner, I would acknowledge there are people in this world who know a whole lot more about running a successful basketball team than I do. I'd try to hire the best FO office people I could find and enjoy sitting courtside every game
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mr. Zero wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I vote for this one.

Funny that people put West on a pedestal. Literally all he did with the clippers roster was trade all of the talent away and open up two max slots, just like we did. Except we have more young talent to put around them.

I’m not sure we have more young talent after the trades that the Clippers made. And they still have West as a recruiter, players still listen.
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

If we keep the team as is mostly next year and add a really good max player all will be good
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

First and foremost, I wouldn't put our intentions on blast.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Hire a real GM, not my famous friend who played basketball in the 80s.

Let the real GM hire a real coaching staff, training staff etc.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

1. I'd keep Magic and Pelinka, but Luke and the coaching staff needs to go.
2. We need a shooting coach and a passing coach to improve freethrows and reduce turnovers. The whole Showtime redux strategy with Lonzo/Lance at the helm has resulted in many, many turnovers from outlet passes.
3. Lonzo needs to run the offense as much as Lebron, but that's not happening.
4. Get AD even if it means gutting the entire core, but if that fails, try to get Vucevic instead and trade one of the young core for another veteran shooter or defensive specialist. I'd still try to get Summer League Matt Thomas back from Europe.
5. We're stuck with this version of Lebron (poor lateral movement on defense); you can't trade a potential GOAT because it just looks bad.
6. I'd also hire at least two LG members as scouts/assistants.

As far as missteps, drafting Lonzo over Tatum or DeAaron Fox/Donovan Mitchell might be the biggest one, but only because Lonzo can't shoot and is injury prone. If Lonzo ever fixes his shot and can play 70 plus games, then it's a good pick.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:

As far as missteps, drafting Lonzo over Tatum or DeAaron Fox/Donovan Mitchell might be the biggest one, but only because Lonzo can't shoot and is injury prone. If Lonzo ever fixes his shot and can play 70 plus games, then it's a good pick.

His shooting form is the gimp in the box in Pulp Fiction. It's Zed's creepy, bizarre, bondage-clad, laughing, muffled screaming thru a zippered mouth while something bad happens on the other side of the door gimp. It's too far gone. It needs to lose its LA privs. It's only going to improve incrementally, if that. Zo is the PG version of 2008 Bynum. Starts playing well, gets hurt, repeat. Takes him a long time to find his way in the rhythm of the team when he returns, develops calf strains and/or knee strains, works thru those, finally finds that balance, finally combats his autism and shows himself for a number of games, bam, bad ankle sprain. He's used to hobbling on crutches and orthopedic boots. That ankle is going to be problematic as time goes on. God knows what the damage looks like and if it can be repaired or if he's going to remain impaired. He seems to be both jinxed and injury prone, bad combo.

As far as missteps, Lonzo TAKES missteps.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Buy out that soon soon guy who owns part of the Lakers and offer his share to Jerry west and pray that he takes it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: