If it was possible, would you trade Lebron James for another superstar or a quality set of young players?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers trade Lebron James for another superstar, or a core of really good young players?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 78 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 118

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Ahhhh. When the hypotheticals are always better.

"ANY coach would be better than Mike D'Antoni!"

Byron Scott: "Hold my beer"
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
You folks don't realize how BAD the Lakers are without Lebron James. In Cavs he had Irving, Love, Smith and good shooters.
They were also all stars. In Miami he had Wade and Bosch.
The Lakers don't have ONE player remotely close to being an all star let alone a consistent player. A bunch of kids that were drafted high but not developed. A bunch of reject vets from other teams. The only reason Lebron came to LA was business and the weather.

And Lebron has a tendency to be the whole show.
If he really wanted to win he would forego the all star game and
rest.

The Lakers have to stop going for the quick fix and try to build a team like GSW, Spurs, Celtics, Philly.
They are patient and build from a foundation.

We tried. They tanked better than us.

They didn't give up in the middle of trying.

ding ding ding!! Also, they(the people with the plan) didn't give up. Jeanie decided that the plan wasn't "Laker enough" and got rid of them to empower someone that chased max free agents every season which is what had failed the previous 3 seasons before.

Imagine if Philly decided right after Embiid's breakout season "You know what..let's trade him for some cap so we don't have to pay him, cause we're gonna go after Anthony Davis in a few seasons anyway."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Paul George or KL would have been great for our Lakers. Lebron? Not so much.

Who says these guys come by themselves?

PG stayed with WB in OKC. Would he come out on a limb to join a possibly non playoff team? Based on his behavior and decision, no.

Again, you take things to literally.

PG would have been great because he's younger and less of a diva than Lebron. I actually like his calm, almost humble demeanor (same thing for KL), and I think that would mesh well with the personas of our young core, which means a greater chemistry and likely hood of playing hard night in and nigh out.

As of now, there is 100% a disconnect on this Lakers team, and I blame than on the presence of Lebron James.. Now, I'm not saying he deliberately meant for that to happen, I'm saying that the disconnected and failed chemistry on this Lakers team can be mostly attributed to Lebron being on this team, regardless of who's fault it is.

Best thing that can happen to the Lakers is if Lebron demands a trade, and if his reasons are that the current players are good guys, but not ready to compete, and I want to win one last ring before I retire.

Dude, PG13 turned the Lakers down. That is the literal thing.

What makes you think he eschews WB and decides to come here by himself without another star?

PG13 made his decision, so to hypothetically forget that is just a waste of time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
You folks don't realize how BAD the Lakers are without Lebron James. In Cavs he had Irving, Love, Smith and good shooters.
The Lakers don't have ONE player remotely close to being an all star let alone a consistent player. A bunch of kids that were drafted high but not developed. A bunch of reject vets from other teams. The only reason Lebron came to LA was business and the weather.

rest.

The Lakers have to stop going for the quick fix and try to build a team like GSW, Spurs, Celtics, Philly.

ding ding ding!! Also, they(the people with the plan) didn't give up. Jeanie decided that the plan wasn't "Laker enough" and got rid of them to empower someone that chased max free agents every season which is what had failed the previous 3 seasons before.

Imagine if Philly decided right after Embiid's breakout season "You know what..let's trade him for some cap so we don't have to pay him, cause we're gonna go after Anthony Davis in a few seasons anyway."

Who amongst the young core had a breakout season like Joel did? 23/11/3 in 63 games last year.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't vote yes or no.

I reckon that we'd have debate the poll's trade to a great extent depending on the actual superstar (i.e., All NBA honors more than once) name to be acquired for LeBron.

If it were to be Cousins (questionable leadership, uncertain speed and lift after surgery, not much of a defender career-long), I'd say no. Bad fit here and expensive.

If it were to be Westbrook (at his career peak), it'd be a resounding yes. If it were to be Jimmy Butler or Kyrie, it's be no. There's a dozen or more guys in the middle ground, the maybes. The poll leaks a reality check, in that it presupposes we could even arrange such a trade. I resist the temptation to dwell on dreams too much.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

I voted yes because I'd definitely trade Lebron for Russell, Levert and J Allen. Would anyone else?

The Nets might go for it too, since they're hell bent on getting a star. Their owner cares about that for marketing his building. Maginka will have a headache in a couple of years trying to figure out who to renew and for how much. We'd have enough space for Kawhi too!

Ball, Russell, Kawhi, Kuz, Allen
Rondo, Levert, Ingram, Wagner, McGee
Bonga, Hart
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
I voted yes because I'd definitely trade Lebron for Russell, Levert and J Allen. Would anyone else?

The Nets might go for it too, since they're hell bent on getting a star. Their owner cares about that for marketing his building. Maginka will have a headache in a couple of years trying to figure out who to renew and for how much. We'd have enough space for Kawhi too!

Bonga, Hart

Yes.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

PG stayed with WB in OKC. Would he come out on a limb to join a possibly non playoff team? Based on his behavior and decision, no.

PG would have been great because he's younger and less of a diva than Lebron. I actually like his calm, almost humble demeanor (same thing for KL), and I think that would mesh well with the personas of our young core, which means a greater chemistry and likely hood of playing hard night in and nigh out.

As of now, there is 100% a disconnect on this Lakers team, and I blame than on the presence of Lebron James.. Now, I'm not saying he deliberately meant for that to happen, I'm saying that the disconnected and failed chemistry on this Lakers team can be mostly attributed to Lebron being on this team, regardless of who's fault it is.

Best thing that can happen to the Lakers is if Lebron demands a trade, and if his reasons are that the current players are good guys, but not ready to compete, and I want to win one last ring before I retire.

What makes you think he eschews WB and decides to come here by himself without another star?

PG13 made his decision, so to hypothetically forget that is just a waste of time.

Okay, you still aren't getting it, because you fixate your attention on details and you ignore the jist of what I'm saying.

So, please, disregard my mentioning Paul George and insert any superstar who is younger, hungry, and less diva-ish than Lebron. My POINT is that we got the wrong superstar for this particular Lakers team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Okay, you still aren't getting it, because you fixate your attention on details and you ignore the jist of what I'm saying.

So, please, disregard my mentioning Paul George and insert any superstar who is younger, hungry, and less diva-ish than Lebron. My POINT is that we got the wrong superstar for this particular Lakers team.

And which of those were ACTUALLY available this past summer? B/c LBJ was willing to come without a 2nd star; PG13 stuck with WB.

This is why these hypos seem fun, until you add one modicum of reality.

But yes, let's imagine the heretofore unnamed Young Superstar 1 on this team who joined without another max FA.

And your thread talks about "trading" for a star. So why would you even discuss PG13/KL who we traded for and found that the other team was not going to trade a star to us?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

And which of those were ACTUALLY available this past summer? B/c LBJ was willing to come without a 2nd star; PG13 stuck with WB.

This is why these hypos seem fun, until you add one modicum of reality.

But yes, let's imagine the heretofore unnamed Young Superstar 1 on this team who joined without another max FA.

And your thread talks about "trading" for a star. So why would you even discuss PG13/KL who we traded for and found that the other team was not going to trade a star to us?

Man, forget, it. You take too much energy to keep up with.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:

Bonga, Hart

It’s stupid to trade Lebron, but I’d just be happy with DLO in a hypothetical trade. J Allen would just be icing on the cake, so to speak. I remembered we almost got Levert also in the DLO trade. My guess is the Lakers didn’t want to take back his multi-year salary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:

That's what she said...
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

In a heartbeat. It wouldn't even have to be much in return.

Lebron just doesn't fit with the make of this team as mentioned before. The best case scenario is that they make some noise in the playoffs next year, don't win anything regardless, and then send this team into the ice age again because Lebron traded away everyone.

The problem is most rebuilding teams don't want Lebron either because they aren't stupid like the Lakers. He would have to go to a team that thinks they'd become championship contenders even with the players they lose. Maybe something like Blazers for CJ + Collins + picks.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's what she said...

Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

rest.

Again, apples to oranges. If we drafted two players who's ceiling was to be superstars in a superstar driven league then we wouldn't have tried to trade for a superstar. I'm not sure why some are not grasping this concept.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
laker50 wrote:

rest.

Who amongst the young core had a breakout season like Joel did? 23/11/3 in 63 games last year.

Absolutely no one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Again, apples to oranges. If we drafted two players who's ceiling was to be superstars in a superstar driven league then we wouldn't have tried to trade for a superstar. I'm not sure why some are not grasping this concept.

If we had Embiid/Simmons on this team, I'd argue that we wouldn't have to trade them for a 2nd star b/c you'd have 3 of them with LBJ here.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If we had Embiid/Simmons on this team, I'd argue that we wouldn't have to trade them for a 2nd star b/c you'd have 3 of them with LBJ here.

Exactly. Thank you.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Do people think the lack of stars in recent drafts is from bad drafting or not being able to develop players? My personal belief is Lakers are one of the worst teams in the NBA at developing talent. Which is a true shame as it’s easily one of the most important aspects.

They probably could have drafted Simmons and Ingram would be balling and looking like a star while Simmons would look like a bigger Lonzo with an even worse jumper.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
Do people think the lack of stars in recent drafts is from bad drafting or not being able to develop players? My personal belief is Lakers are one of the worst teams in the NBA at developing talent. Which is a true shame as it’s easily one of the most important aspects.

They probably could have drafted Simmons and Ingram would be balling and looking like a star while Simmons would look like a bigger Lonzo with an even worse jumper.

Maybe a bit of both. None of our #2 picks, while talented and full of potential, are exactly Luka Doncic.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Can't believe I'm saying this but if the locker room is irrepairable, I'd rather keep the young guys than LeBron
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Ironically, Byron would've been a good coach for the team D'Antoni had, and D'Antoni would've been better with the team Byron had.

This was always my beef with the FO when they hired MDA. It wasn't that MDA was a bad coach, he was just the wrong one. We had a team built on low-post bigs and they go out and hire the one coach at the time who hated playing bigs.

And then we had a bunch of young guards/wings trying to learn the game with Kobe in and out of the lineup. That's when you hire a guy like MDA to help them open up spacing.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I wish bron didn’t have a no trade clause.id trade him so fast if I could and never wanted him on the team in the first place
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

yes I would. He's 34. we're not winning a championship with a 34 year old. People are delusional if they think LBJ at 34, coming off his first ever major injury will attract any talent and will lead us to a championship. Will not happen
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Ironically, Byron would've been a good coach for the team D'Antoni had, and D'Antoni would've been better with the team Byron had.

This was always my beef with the FO when they hired MDA. It wasn't that MDA was a bad coach, he was just the wrong one. We had a team built on low-post bigs and they go out and hire the one coach at the time who hated playing bigs.

And then we had a bunch of young guards/wings trying to learn the game with Kobe in and out of the lineup. That's when you hire a guy like MDA to help them open up spacing.

I don’t think Byron would be a good coach for any team...

D’Antoni is an elite coach— top five in the league. Look at what’s he’s done for the Rockets. The Lakers team he got was filled with post-prime big names who didn’t fit his style.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: